1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

The best mmo pvp tourny to date?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Guest, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

2. Surgeries

Surgeries Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Wow.

No pun intended.

That is pretty cool.

I would agree...that is a fantastic way to get people interested in PvP...holy crap...

3. Too bad wow is a cartoon and sucks completely or that might be interesting.

But I think I see your point, UO seriously needs to do stuff like this. (Oh, and I would play it just to win $1 pixel crack, let alone 75,000).

4. wanderer1origin

wanderer1origin Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

5. Guest

Guest Guest

uo needs to implement arenas into it, thats the only good aspect of wow in my opinion

6. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

ibtl

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

Prizes:

At the world finals of the 2008 World of Warcraft Arena Tournament, the winning team will take home the impressive sum of $75,000. The second-place team will win $30,000, and the third-place team will be awarded $15,000. There will be cash prizes at each regional final as well, consisting of $15,000, $6,000, $3,000, and $1,500 for first, second, third, and fourth place respectively, while fifth- through eighth-place teams will each receive $600.

[/ QUOTE ]

That right there is what makes that worthy of being in any MMO fourm its very impressive.

7. Nixon[I-C]

Nixon[I-C] Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

UO already did something like this...

or do you guys forget the Ultima Online tournament of champions back in 2002 where the winning teams each got special titles granted to those characters?

Why they stopped with these kinds of awesome events... I'll never know.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, actually they didn't. They attempted too, but made a complete and utter balls up of the event. I was one of the participants, and our shard was a complete farce. The tournement only ever reached the first phase (Swords &amp; Titles), then it just kind of came to an abrupt halt.

It was also never completed, and not even remotely even terms. Europe vs Americans on American shard?

8. <blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

UO already did something like this...

or do you guys forget the Ultima Online tournament of champions back in 2002 where the winning teams each got special titles granted to those characters?

Why they stopped with these kinds of awesome events... I'll never know.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, actually they didn't. They attempted too, but made a complete and utter balls up of the event. I was one of the participants, and our shard was a complete farce. The tournement only ever reached the first phase (Swords &amp; Titles), then it just kind of came to an abrupt halt.

It was also never completed, and not even remotely even terms. Europe vs Americans on American shard?

[/ QUOTE ]

The WoW battle is for contestants all over the world...

Where do you think the server for their event is going to be located... seriously?

No matter where it's located... a demographic is going to be far away from it.... there's nothing you can do about it.

And they did a bang up job... it was the first time anything like this was done and it's a shame they put a stop to it... was really awesome.

(both of my good in game friends Oz and Blanel took 1st on Atlantic)

9. Nixon[I-C]

Nixon[I-C] Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

There is a huge difference between WoW demographics and lag, than there is between UO. It's very reasonable to pvp in WoW with 300ms, but impossible in UO.

Also, I seriously doubt Blizzard would be as stupid as to hold the first round at 01.00am local time. The whole rules etc of the tournement OSI ran, were completely out of touch with dueling. Very nice idea, but poorly executed.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Well its definately making me think about re-opening my WoW acct and paying the 20$ fee to join up.

It definately sounds fun.

11. dude... again, it was the first time anything like that had been tried.

They did a good job and your just complaining about spilt milk.

12. Nixon[I-C]

Nixon[I-C] Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

dude... again, it was the first time anything like that had been tried.

They did a good job and your just complaining about spilt milk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever, but as far as European shards went, it was a complete failure. I don't see how failures on a common sense level made it a sucess, but okay!

13. Guest

Guest Guest

if money is the reason you are pvp'ing you are a piece of crap IRL.

the best pvp'er would never pvp for money.

WoW is a complete joke (always has been) and this illustrates that fact.

WoW will go down in history as the worst game ever. right now it may be popular but 10-20 years from now we will all be laughing at world of warcraft.

what a joke it is to be honest.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

if money is the reason you are pvp'ing you are a piece of crap IRL.

the best pvp'er would never pvp for money.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why do being the best at PVP and winning prize money have to be mutually exclusive?

The difference between WOW and UO is the WOW development team is completely vested in PVP and recognize it is an integral part of the game. PVP has not been an important focus for UO since early 2001 all the way to 2008. Hopefully that will be changing.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Why do being the best at PVP and winning prize money have to be mutually exclusive?

[/ QUOTE ]

it is by nature. you may be better than everyone else except for the fact that you accept money.

goto sleep.

<blockquote><hr>

The difference between WOW and UO is the WOW development team is completely vested in PVP and realize it is an integral part of the game. PVP has not been an important focus for UO since late 2001 all the way 2008. Hopefully that will be changing.

[/ QUOTE ]

nevermind UO. UO is more of a failure than WoW monetarily. fact is though UO is a better game or at least was. WoW is a disaster of a game. it is totally over-rated. 10 to 20 years from now people will laugh at world of warcraft. it has taken a whole bunch of people who apparently never discovered UO or everquest and sucked them in. it is a johnny come lately game and will fail when these people eventually ruin their lives and can't pay for it anymore.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

All I care about is is WoW PvP is fun and more balanced then UO ATM. Plus I have never seen any type of Tourny like this in a mmo before. It just shows how much respect Blizzard has for its PvPer playerbase.

17. Babble

Babble Guest

Does not guildwars make tournaments too.
    But then it is not really an mmo

18. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Have no clue. To me UO pvp has been superior to any other game until WoW came out.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

*RTOPFC*

Let's not think about PvP tournaments for a moment, let's talk about town halls... then go back to tournaments.

Last year and this year the UO town halls are also DAoC town halls. They're covering two games and player bases with one stone. The DAoC and UO teams could take a little better advantage of this.
    <ul>[*]Lengthen the day. Start earlier in the day.
    [*]Invite players from both games to spend the day.
    [*]Shorten each presentation/Q&amp;A session a little bit.
    [*]Have a mixer between the game specific presentation/Q&amp;A sessions... where all (DAoC &amp; UO) players, devs, support, coordinators, and media can casually chat, drink, eat, and meet on a personal level.
    [*]Have the second presentation/Q&amp;A session.
    [*]Short break.
    [*]DAoC &amp; UO tournaments and gameplay sessions. Tourney speaks for itself... throw in some prizes like some cash (doesn't have to be HUGE, but like $500, $250 &amp; $100 for each game) and DAoC &amp; UO collectibles. The gameplay sessions (different tables) would be perfect for devs to show a group of players "it works like this", and for players to show devs "this is my problem right here"... face to face and side by side.[/list]This would be a great ROI as EA Mythic would already have the facility rented and prepped for, DAoC &amp; UO teams and players on site, push both products &amp; WAR to both player bases, better media coverage, more players showing up for a bigger day-long event, invite players on the WAR newsletter (they may like DAoC &amp; UO).

Still UO Town Hall, DAoC Town Hall, and a little WAR pitch... but it's all part of "EA Mythic Day". Jeremy, please... talk to Robert and Mark about it. [​IMG]

20. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

it is by nature. you may be better than everyone else except for the fact that you accept money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats silly. Taking money as a prize for something you love and are good at in no way makes it bad. It makes it great. People being paid for doing what they enjoy is something the world needs a billion times more of.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they have had for money (20k top prize i think?) tournies for quite some time. And I don't see how its not a MMO. Its multiplayer, its massive, its online. They just have paid expansion rather than monthly fees.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

One of the original designs for valor (it was valor right?) was a continual pvp tournament set up, with special prizes for the winners. It just disappeared and was replaced by the lame virtue we have now.

I for one would LOVE to see that design be brought back. It would certainly encourage me to take up more pvp.