1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

The Devs thoughts on a new "faction" system.

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Tjalle, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

2. Rizarium

Rizarium Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Arrr & Yarr Pirates!

3. chise2

chise2 Sage

I guess I will have to see what the rewards are, but right now I am not really liking what I have read. It doesn't seem any better or more interesting then the current faction system. If anything to me at least it sounds a little worse. Maybe once we get more info I will feel better about it but right now this gets a big thumbs down from me.

HoldenCaulfield likes this.
  4. HoldenCaulfield

Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crimson Savages CLAN

I agree, I would really like to see a list of what is "too broken" to be fixed. Seems like a very unacceptable answer to just ditching a system. I guess I will go post in that thread...

5. chise2

chise2 Sage

Though I guess one good thing about this system is no several hour sigil sits anymore ahaha. Might be the only good thing though. :p

6. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

It is going to be a PvP system. Do not get me started on what is broken with current factions. I would have to have several lists. Siege, Felucca and Trammel. Then go off in so many strings from that.

7. HoldenCaulfield

Ok how about humoring us with your top 5 from your "Siege" list and how the new system addresses those please? Should be an easy list!

#7 HoldenCaulfield, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    FSP!-SL likes this.
  8. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend IPKU

Im fine with them removing factions but Im very unsre about the system they are considering.

9. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable

well i should clarify im fine with removing factions to be replaced by another system

10. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

It should be an easy list?

Are you a TB kinda guy? CoM? Tell me what faction ye play in. I will think about the things that bother me about factions...

Vending machine artifacts are gonna be up there... though those seem be repeated in this new system.
    oh and recall on Siege... That is possible with factions.

Have ya ever stolen a sigil? Right after server up? No... can not do it.

Have ya ever tried to break into a Faction base? Guarded by dragons...

I will break it down better tomorrow.

11. Rumpy

Rumpy Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Wow, what kind of atrocity is that....

12. HoldenCaulfield

No worries Kelmo - was not trying to put you on the spot but you said you had several lists. I haven't played factions in awhile, but not because I believe it to be broken, in fact I was contemplating joining again with the new activity it seems fun.

So far from what you posted, artifacts will still be there as you mention and dragon guarding doesn't seem like a faction specific issue to me or something that would be changed with the new system.

So we have:
    1.) Faction runes
    2.) Stealing a sigil at server up - not sure what this means so maybe you can elaborate.

Again I am just trying to understand what is so broken that can't be fixed which is separate from things one dislikes. I have things I dislike with factions that many others like, but they are not bugs: Hero/Evil Dyes Items, Silver Currency and Monster Ignore to name my peeves (but they are just my dislikes and not broken items). Just as with your list, the faction runes is not a bug/broken issue it is just something you dislike and maybe others too but seems again something that could be removed quite easily and is not beyond repair if a consensus were made.

I just hate to see a system removed without an official list of "broken" items or items the devs feel are broken so that we know what they see as the source of problems.

The only major complaints I see on Siege from faction fights are claims of using hacks, which is separate from factions.

13. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable

im with you HoldenCaulfeild, i play factions daily and im not sure what people mean by broken system, i see alot of dislikes about factions that players complain about but i have yet to read one broken faction item.

14. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I do like, that the system seem more like Order /Chaos and the stat loss seem to be gone. I look forward to see the factions taxes gone, even when I know my jewelry for imbuing may be more expensive but I can live with that.
    I'm worried about this new factions items, how will they effect Siege. If they are like the faction items we have now, it's all fine but if they are to cheap and powerful, it will hurt the fights between faction and non faction.

Many on Siege like the tread from our reds but if we again see reds running overpowered factions gear, non faction will again give up PvP and that would be sad, now where our shard start to get back to life.

Some may say, all could just join this new system, but that would mean no safe towns for crafters and other not so PvP minded players.

I hope we soon will get more info about this items.

Also most Siege players do have more than one account, so will we see a lot abuse of this system, when players join both sides?

15. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable

Monster ignore, although I have used it a lot, should be gone. Being able to farm silver for an hour to get an overpowered faction item should be gone (why should it take a nonfactioner maybe days to get the same item with lesser stats?) When faction gear was blessable (not sure if it still is?) comepletely stupid, should of never happened. Faction mounts...why should factions have their own mounts that are easily ressed? Never should of happened. Gear, overpowered, dumb...All these things have taken away from what Siege was designed for. Siege was designed for a community to establish itself and sustain itself with self governing with a strong COMMUNITY effort, not for a quick and easy way for any single group to gain an advantage over another...

Tjalle and legendsguy like this.
  16. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

I think there's always been a rule that you couldn't steal sigils for the first hour after server up. I think that's deliberate, not a bug. It's been like that on every shard where I've ever been involved in factions.

17. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

18. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable

LOL tina that list is old most of those situations have been fixed the list your looking at is 5 years old i didnt see anything up to date.

im sorry but im not seeing anyone come up with a current faction bug list, just lots of dislikes of factions most from people that dont actively play in factions which dont understand the current system

19. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

For the record. The in concept is pretty much built for either a siege pvper and/or a multi-shard pvper.

#19 Draxous, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  20. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

Yeah, I know it's 5 years old. I said it was 5 years old, didn't I? LOL That list was started (and ended) about the time when we last had anyone on the dev team who ever even stuck their head into the Factions forum. I tend to think that when people on the dev team say factions is too broken to fix, they could be referring to kill points and ranks.

Something that I'm pretty sure is still buggy on other shards but simply can't be an issue on Siege because of its one-character-per-account rule is an exploit that people use to be able to put characters on the same account and same shard into different factions. And I think there are still somefaction guilds around that are still allied with non-faction guilds. I doubt that can be pulled off anymore with new alliances, but I think there are some old alliances that never got busted up when the rules changed back in 2008 or 2009. And it's doubtful that many people are aware of those alliances at this point because of the lack of a usable online guild list on the uo.com website. I think there's also an issue with kill point/silver crediting to thieves for returning sigils they didn't actually steal themselves.

These particular faction "bugs," however, go back to rule changes that went into effect in 2008 or early 2009 because of Draconi's big push to update factions. They aren't bugs that have been around for years and years. Unfortunately, when Draconi was let go, it seemed to take several years before fixing faction-related problems had any urgency for EA and when they did finally start paying attention and spending some time on factions, they almost seemed to be taking the approach of wanting to kill off factions with unpopular changes rather than actually trying to improve it. Or they did their usual too-little-too-late thing and made a change that would have had a much more beneficial effect if it had taken place quite a bit sooner and nipped a problem in the bud, instead of when it was full grown and flourishing.

21. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Well it is buggy. Most faction changes since publish 56 have been fixes or adjustments.

22. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable

the point is we were asking for a list of "broken items" that factions are currently in factions. The point system isnt broken works as its supposed to"yes prodo they can exploit that because of mult-characters, but not broken(this really doesnt work in prodo shards anyway example i kill my other char and i get its 4 points and kill al characters on that account each worth 4 points so now i have 28 points i still need way more points to even come close to reaching enough points for higher ranks, it was broken when they had the bonus pooints that they gave out for kiling. It was broke until they reset points over a year ago and fixed some of those issues.

its ok though enough people hate fctions (even though most dont fully understand them) so reguardless of this so called list that no one was able to produce its gonna come to an end so ill quit worrying about it and just hope and pray they make this new thing as enjoyable to me as factions are.

23. Tina Small

Stratics Veteran 4H

I think you got me wrong, Sprago. I too wish that the team would explain what's so horribly broken about factions now that they cannot just change a few things and let it continue.

I'm pretty disgusted at this point at the thought of all faction-related locations and items being wiped out as if the whole system never existed. Also, because the new system appears to have nothing in it for thieves, trap removers, or crafters, I've got absolutely no reason to join it when it starts up. I'm a horrid PvPer, but I always enjoyed using a rogue-type character to support my guildmates by yanking up traps, stealing and placing sigils, and finding stealthers. I also enjoyed using some of my tamers who also had stealing, tracking, and detect hidden on some shards to gather silver for making traps and trap deeds, rezzing guildmates' pets in Fel or taming non-war horse pets for red guildmates, helping to place and guard sigils and find/kill stealthers. I also had crafters to make traps and trap deeds and very, very occasionally did some other faction crafting if someone wanted a semi-useless faction-hued item. I may have only filled small support-type roles and rarely had a lot of kill points until the rules changed to give thieves points for sigil placement. However, getting into factions in those roles helped make me a lot more comfortable playing in the Fel ruleset and also introduced me to a whole lot of people, many of them with red characters only as their main characters, that I never would have met otherwise.

Before the big changes started happening in 2008 and people flooded into factions primarily to obtain the artifacts and didn't seem to care so much for activities that involved corrupting sigils and owning towns, I enjoyed the heck out of being in factions with other people who also enjoyed those things. Maybe it was "old school" stuff and didn't offer any really concrete rewards, but for me and the other people I played with and against in factions at that time, especially on Great Lakes, it sure was fun and challenging. People got their own gear the way everyone else did at the time and no one complained because EA wasn't handing them stuff as a huge incentive to participate in factions. People enjoyed the small perks of being in factions (vying to see who had more kill points on the faction pages on uo.com, owning war horses, strange looks from other players while in Trammel because of the "no beneficial acts" rule, having an actual use for silver, etc.) and, for the most part, respected their "enemies" and looked forward to figuring out how to make the next stronghold defense or raid fun and engaging.

Oh well. If the new system brings some people back to play, keeps existing PvPers busy, and rejuvenates the general economy of the game in a good way, I guess that will be better than what's happening these days on a whole lot of shards. Who cares if it isn't a very robust system and is only designed for sprawling battles and handing out rewards and all the intrigue, patience, and teamwork the old system required will have just poofed right out of existence? It's apparently what "the majority" demand and what our diminished team feels they can handle at this point.

Sprago likes this.