1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

The Good Things in UO

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Mikeltin5, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Mikeltin5

Mikeltin5 Journeyman

Lately moreso then ever, there have been A LOT of negative posts with regards to UO and it dying and whatnot. So I thought I'd take a moment to share what I personally like about the game. :D

In a several day discussion with a colleague who idolizes WoW and practically lives on the game, several differences between them made me think of how much I enjoy playing UO.

WoW builds a class and that class has a set selection of items. UO has an unlimited combination of skills to meet individual playstyles. Couple that with the imbuing/reforging/enhancing/refinements and one can truly make a soup to nuts customizable suit. Its always refreshing to kill a bad*** boss that "back in the day" was real tough to kill with a sampire; or survive/take down a gank squad, all because you have the freedom to pick and choose what skills you want and how your suit is built.

This is my main focus as I truly enjoy constantly changing skills/suits to try and 1-up myself. But there are many other features that this game has built in that other games don't focus on for other points of interest.

Now am I saying I LOVE the way UO is atm...**** no! But there is good in the game, and to one extent or another we all love this game...otherwise we wouldn't be bi***ing about it on forums...we'd just up and quit. There are definitely changes that need to be made...and those have been expressed in LOTS of posts. But why not make a thread about the things we DO like in the game? We take time away from our friends and families to play something we enjoy...so instead of filling the entire forum with things that only piss us off and make us frustrated...lets make a few threads with the things we like and maybe...just maybe...we can spark a few flames of happiness in the game we do or at least used to enjoy. :D

2. Tamais

Tamais Lake Austin Reporter
    Reporter Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron Editor

Hum, what do I love. There is so much. The housing is the best I've found so far. Gardening, fishing, hunting pirates, and events both em and player. Making new friends, hanging out with old friends. Having so many choices of things to do. Memories of every thing that has happened. Not having to kill so many of this and that to gain skills.

3. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

My guild mates and other UO friends is what keeps me playing. I like crafting (making suits) and now PvP.

Kirthag and Captn Norrington like this.
  4. Deraj

Deraj Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Off the top of my head:
    *The sandbox nature of the game, which allows for situations you can't find in any other game.
    *Books. Being able to write books, keep books, having libraries. No other game.
    *Free form, non-grid containers (and, interestingly enough, backpack art, another example of player innovation).
    *No unique name restrictions. This is a huge thing for me.
    *Housing.
    *Customizable housing. No other game.
    *A fair amount of potential diversity in templates. Could be more, but it's good even now.
    *Staffs are held upright (only in the CC, unfortunately).
    *Boats and sailing.
    *Best MMO there is for roleplaying in my opinion.
    *The general look and feel of the game (in CC, for me at least).

5. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

UO has been and to date is the only game that allows a player to play a thief where they can steal items right out of the grasps of another player. Some games have tried...all have failed and chosen to go the route of the stealthy rogue/fighter class...la

6. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

All of the above +10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Housing - Being able to build your house from the ground up and make your own furniture/decorations
    Plants -It's a game in and of itself, growing and mutating so many varieties of beautiful plants
    Cooking, crafting...though I have no clue how imbuing/reforging works it's so intricate

Being able to do something different every day...no daily grind, no *OMG I have to get to xx lvl*

Taming...training pets..NOT just greater dragons lol :)

Fishing, pirates, scuttling (Though I don't have this expansion)

The simple things....need band-aids? Go pick some cotton, spin it on a spinning wheel to make thread, use it on a loom to make cloth....how cool is that?

Mining....just resource gathering in general...while some might think it boring and monotonous I enjoy it because it's very realistic.

Varingian, Digowiz, Viquire and 5 others like this.
  7. Giggles

Giggles Forum Administrator
    Administrator Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Campaign Supporter The Squirrel Empire

PeeVeePee!!! :sword:

And being a Goddess at all things trammel also :lick:

8. drcossack

drcossack Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

This, minus the crafting part. The one char type I have never made (and never will make) is a crafter. The only crafting skills I've ever bothered with have been inscribe and alchemy, both of which are used in pvp. I will pvp (with varying degrees of success) on all of my characters, but I'm at my worst on my thrower & archer (due to having no ******* clue what I'm doing...yet), and I even debated converting my tamer/mage into a thrower/tamer with a greater - dismount, all kill, watch them die.

When I came back last year, I was only gonna pvm for a month. I started pvp'ing again and haven't looked back. I'll never be one of those uber-rich players, but I'm fine with that - if I have a few mil in the bank, that's enough. You don't need huge amounts of gold for pvp anyway, as long as you make more than you lose.

If I do get a decent chunk of gold, I end up spending it on what I need/want. I'm sitting on a 300m+ EM drop on LS, from the last event our previous EM did. If I sold it, do you know how quickly I'd spend it? It'd be gone in under 10 minutes, since I want a 4.0 (or higher) dread mare.

9. Lord Taliesin

Lord Taliesin Seasoned Veteran

I love that UO (and the rest of the series) includes an actual philosophical system. The Virtues and Order vs Chaos would make a reasonable personal social/spiritual belief system, in fact I'm suprised nobody has started "the Order of the Virtues" or something as a real life religious organization. When I'm juiced up on mandrake-roids, riding a mythical creature and bashing someone named "UrMOmlUlZ" with a battle axe I'm doing it in the sacred name of Honor and Justice! It's exciting that they're finally going to finish the virtue system in game.

*ponders the feasibility of writing off my subscription fees as tax deductable expenses of my religious practice..*

IgloAtlantic and drcossack like this.
  10. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

UO has 1001 things going for it that no other game has. Unfortunately it also has 2001 things wrong with it too.

Actually there is a continued swing which adds to the negatives which results in an ever declining player base. We are all aware of UOs great plus points but despite that it ships players and continues to decline.

Im struggling to find positives in that.

11. Shady Ghost

Shady Ghost Adventurer

Some of the good things in UO that I like..

Housing (Succulent Customizable housing, with fun deco options. Even the pre-builts are pretty nice. Keeps and Castle could be better optimized, if not outright fully customizable and that would be another good aspect. I'm all for 32x32 boxes though.)

Questing done right. Hear me out, I don't like that we have so many quest systems, but I do not like walking into a town and seeing exclamation points over people, or big O's or whatever in whatever game that does the quest and xp grind. I almost don't like seeing "Quest Giver" under a person's name, but I understand we need something to denote we've got an adventure waiting for us if we chat it up with that particluar npc. I would like to see more quests, or even some of the old ones brought back.

Some of the Music. That current UO intro theme is awful. Please change it. I do not want to log into a game with horrible flute and drum music in my head. As I type these words now, the tune is in my head. And I despise it. I spend a lot of time fighting things too, and that combat music is awful. It may have been in U9 or whatever else, but add some more tunes or other tunes to the combat music list. That fighting music in Tokuno is pretty good, with the drums and symbols but can we get a change up of the other tunes? It's nearly 20 years old, we are tired of it. That being said, the music for the most part is good. Stones is ageless, and captivating, that pretty music on Dagger Isle, it's good. Many others, good. Some songs are short, or seem to be cut mid tune. But regardless, music helps build atmosphere in my opinion and should never be overlooked.

Customizable weirdness. I like weirdness in a game, and anyone who doesn't understand what I mean, what other games pretty much encourage Samurai Vampire Elf Paladins who can see in the dark? That's pretty weird to me. I think it's pretty weird to anyone who thinks about it but I like it. Anything is an option really. Maybe you want to put snooping and stealing on your Samurai Vampire Elf Paladin too? Why not? Or a bard who is a mage and black smith on the side.. that just happens to be a gargoyle with big nasty bat wings and funky horns. And the best part is, you are not locked into the 'package' because you can change to any other combination of skills AT WILL. Not like choosing to be a Death Knight on WoW and forever being that, a Death Knight.

Not WoW. I think that is pretty clear. When Mondain's Legacy came out, the game became a little WoW as far as loot is concerned. This is about as WoW as the game needed to get, but it continued. Now your Average noob requires more gear than many of us had even towards the end of Age of Shadows time as most current expansion. And while that was a long time ago, and changes like this are often inevitable I think UO still does it better than WoW.

Ok now for some of the bad things I don't like about UO.

General chat. No I am not referring to pvp chatter, just the idea of General Chat in general is just something I never liked. Still don't.
    Luna is ugly. Trinsic is Ugly. Like horse vomit. Dead horse Vomit, with maggots in it. ugly. Ew. GPIHGIOPUSDJIOF:JDS
    Multiple Loot drop systems. What I mean are the many ways 'reward' items are distributed. Maybe that is unfixable, maybe at some point it can all be made the same.. maybe.
    Intro and Combat Music.
    Some sounds.
    Hundred Thousand or more HP 'bosses' with instant death attacks. Not cool or challenging, because sometimes you just need to die enough to eventually kill said monster. It literally is a grind. Both boring and frustrating. And many times it just equals having insurance money in the bank. Wow. How completely not innovative and creative. Honestly consider how this can be done differently.
    Outdated or broken content with vestigial remains still flailing around. Meer loyalty anyone?

And now for somethings probably not within the scope of this thread that need to be addressed.

Customer Service. This is different from offering a little cheese with that whine.. But if you send in a request to help with billing or other issues, that better be something that gets addressed. I'm sure we've heard plenty of 'success' stories here on the boards, but in game I have heard some pretty bad stories, and here on the boards I've seen people blow up like beta fish figuratively speaking. Literally, if there is an actual person responsible for your customer service department, and you have the ability to reprimand them, do so. I don't want to see anyone get fired especially in this current economy, but they need to know, they aren't doing a good job, or even a semi good enough for government work job. They are failing in about every category. Unquestionably failing. It is beyond apparent.

EA/UO Store issues. This should never ever ever EVER have been this bad. If you are a pay to play game and you run a Cash shop on the side for more money, you need to make sure that the FIFA wildness NEVER happens. I don't know how many free to play cash shops get compromised, but that is their only way to make money, (I hope). Then you've got people who'd LOVE to pay you for whatever it may be, game time codes, legacy tokens, extra account codes.. the list goes on and on, and they honestly cannot do it. They've tried, they've gone out of their way to call your representation to make payments, etc.. this should never ever happen, not in a pay to play game with a cash shop on the side, not in a free to play game with a cash shop, not any kind of set up.

That's my long post. Overall, love UO. Hope to see it flourish for years more. It can happen.

Stubentiger likes this.
  12. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

These things make the game for me. Though I will say some other games are "trying" and failing to offer some of the levels of customization that UO has... They are trying. My Son keeps trying to get me to play Final Fantasy with him... my argument has always been "Can I own my own home?.... something to call MINE?" to which the answer had always been "No". And I'd say... "Then there is no point." Now you can. But it's still so very limited it is expanding...

But it's true.... NO other game has such diversity that UO has that you can build anything you imagine in the realm and scope of "Medieval Fantasy"... It is missing a few things that for me would really make it stay "on top".... Those things I fear it will never get. First it's missing the Graphics that many other games offer... it's aged look and feel while quaint... just can't compare when you look at things like LoTRO or WoW or Landmark... Those games are stunning when it comes to looks... But they lack diversity and the ability to "be" your character....

UO needs Dwarves.... little people... Children. Breeding of pets. Those things would push UO into the next level and keep any other game from EVER coming close to UO.

I think that if we continue to remember what makes UO great... which is it's customizational quality and Sandbox nature... and the DEV's continued to build on that and community... we'd go another 17+ years no problem.

Forget the graphics even though we all know it would be so amazing... but focus on community and the sandbox.... allowing more and more customization... it would continue on.

I am hopeful that this new expansion offering more clothes and from the sounds of it things to improve the old castles and keeps and such... will go a long way into keeping things viable.

I think about going somewhere else every now and again... but the fact remains... UO is the only place for me. It has everything I love. Building, Fishing, Hunting, Crafting, Cooking, Pirates, Kings, Unicorns, Dragons, Pets!!!!.... and community... Where you CAN really build what you imagine. Where you can become a Governor! Build a town together... I love to role-play... and the truth of the matter is I can't really do that in most other games. If you can't build your town.... or build your community but are forced to follow some stupid series of quests based on your race and chosen path of skills then how can you "be" something other than just another warrior... or mage...

Boring in my opinion is to play a game that tells you every step you need to take and when to take it. UO has NEVER held your hand or held you back in your imagination. The depth and level of creativity in UO is astounding. Some folk build elaborate homes and decorate with amazing results.... Others build a reputation of darkness.... they are the gods of war... Winning the fight is their goal. And others build their characters with such depth that you are taken in and inspired to follow them, wanting to know "how the story" will unfold and they continue that story using the world of UO around them in such a way that others are inclined to follow them... and so builds a community that one finds they want to be a part of and keep being a part of... They want to make their mark on this place we call Sosaria....

THAT is what makes UO so wonderful. At least for me.

IgloAtlantic, Tamais and Mikeltin5 like this.
  13. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

What it is for me, the flexibility to be anything I want - and then change it as I want.

Kirthag started out as a Tailor, believe it or not.
    Moved to Napa, became a fighter. Pre-tram RPvP - personally that was the best - thing - eveh.
    Then, becoming a Paladin, RPing such and watching the death of Major RP on Napa.... I still get choked up about it.. excuse me...

:sad4:

Okay... I'm not going to say Crafting so much, I do it out of necessity and because I am a bit OCD. But gathering the resources, I enjoy that. Getting together with guildies and attending events, even better. Attempting to bring a sense of community back to Napa...

Mostly, I have to say is the houses. I luv my houses. I luv building them, decoing them, ripping them down, doing it again and again. The only reason my crafter is max'd skills is so that I can make all the deco stuff. At one time, Minerva was a highly sought after deco-ing service provider. :)

Lord Nabin and MalagAste like this.
  14. Mikeltin5

Mikeltin5 Journeyman

I absolutely HATE everything you enjoy :D, the resource gathering, the house decoing them. I mean I have a keep with random boxes locked down in them, merely storage with no other purpose whatsoever. but again...that's the beauty of this game! we can love completely separate things and both are not only accepted in the game, but encouraged. I couldn't make my suits if u didn't gather resources to sell to me. So if you're a 1-man show this doesn't apply to you, but to everyone that buys their mats from vendors...how about a thank u community for me not having to "waste my time" doing those things. and in the end ur happy for not having to do it...and its a cornerstone as to why others play.

GOTA LOVE THE DIFFERENT DYNAMICS :)

Modoc and Kirthag like this.
  15. MalagAste

Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I do understand about the RP... It's something I've fought long and hard to keep alive on GL's. It's one of the major reasons I still play UO. That and the community... This is where my friends are. This is "my home". When I'm not in the "real world" .... I'm in UO.... and often in-character. Just I have about 60 or so of them... depends on my mood which one I choose to be.

I enjoy building characters too I guess... I seem to always be working on skills...

And the other thing UO is super for..... Horders. If you are a "horder" at heart but can't stand to clutter your RL house... UO is the game for you! You can horde in UO and never mess up your real house. Only problem is you might run out of money when you start having to get "just one more account" to place one more house because you are once again out of room. Spring clean helps some..... but not enough. I love the roses, I love the gifts... I keep collecting sets of things. Somewhere in my junk I have a full set of snowglobes, a full set of the Urns from ToT... Most of a set of the swords also from ToT... almost every raindeer...... quite a number of sleighs.... nearly a full set of the DEV/GM/EM named Pumpkins... a full set of the 3 tier cakes.... I don't know how many masks... but I know I have ALL the names. Scary I know. But it's fun. I've been collecting a full set of 100% weapons for YEARS. Infact was a former Stratics Reporter that did a story on my house onetime that posted a pic of my collection early on. I believe it was Mystra... And I've always LOVED deco and design. I feel the need to deco for seasons... Over the years I've designed 100's of houses. I was even in a guild that did designing for hire.

I really wish that folk who enjoy gaming could see past the old dated graphics of UO and see what a gem it really is.

Truth is most of us that are still playing UO and still reading and faithfully posting on Stratics really love our game. Sure we get upset from time to time and yes we do get a bit negative... but honestly .... It's because we LOVE our game so much we are frustrated to see it in it's current state and even more frustrated that it doesn't have the sub numbers it once did. We miss our friends who have gone, our friends who have died... our friends who left our world for the real one.. for one reason or another. (sometimes it's because UO is the wicked second woman oft times who takes husbands from their wives or the slick playboy who keeps wives from their husbands.... and the wife/husband becomes jealous and resentful of the game.) I've known many a friend who can't play anymore because if the "wife" found out they were playing "that d*** game" they would no longer be married. Ever so glad I don't have that problem! Watched many of my young friends grow up, get married, have kids.... and move on too busy to devote time to UO anymore. I keep hoping that one day when the kids are off at school and life slows down some again.... they will come back.

I've always planned to still be here when folk come back.... or when the lights go out on UO. But at the same time ..... I miss the old magic. I miss the big RP battles... I miss going to bank in Skara Brae and being asked to "Gib Shinnies".... by some Orc or Urk... I miss watching the old Highland Guard form up all in their green kilts. I miss going to Muster ever Saturday night and listening to Mark and his cute little Irish accent in vent. I miss seeing Ra'Dian Fl'Gith demand "Decorum" at the High Council meetings. Or Phoenix talking about the "Rabbid beavers" he saw out behind the Council chambers. I miss the panic I'd get seeing a pack of oranges run past my place. Or the excitement of getting ready to "hold the road" during our skirmishes with the forces from Minoc. I miss worrying about what the Priests at the Temple of Mondain were planning.

I miss when we had to defend cities from invasions. Working as a group to defend a town. I miss the big events. Sure I like the little EM events... they are fun for an hour or so... But I really miss wanting to run home and hop online and go defend something or to hurry up and get home so I could work on gathering up enough things during the ToT so I could get a full set of the dyes... and such. There really isn't much reason of late to want to log in. There is not a lot going on to explore or find or defend... I've collected about all I can collect... I honestly don't have room to keep collecting... space is a premium. Without the big RP groups there isn't much of that going on... I've fished about all I care to fish. Dug up about all the maps I care too... if I do any more of either of those things I risk filling more precious space.

*sighs*... I want to have a reason to keep logging in. Something to run home to. I guess that's part of why I've always loved Halloween in UO. It's the one time of year I can always count on there being something to run home and do. So I can scour the pumpkin patches for something awesome or go to the graveyards and defeat the new evil that lurks there and get the new shinnies.

Lord Nabin likes this.
  16. Queen Arya

Queen Arya Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
    Governor Stratics Veteran

Exploring!
    Finding things on the ground I happened to stumbled upon while out exploring
    Running into a random player while out exploring either in Fel or Tram and having some great conversation while being competitive and getting to that neat lil shiny that's laying on the ground first (Idocs-stealing events- honesty virtue collecting-) the list is endless of what you can find just laying on the ground
    Game history & the virtues. Either from RP or the latest game content (Halloween-Christmas- Magencia falling etc) EM events- The Kings interaction with us. this list goes on & on
    The Rares Fest- I can shard hop & visit with friends-Interact in conversation about their efforts put forth by putting together a week long event like this.
    Endless reasons why this is the best game ever made!

Lord Nabin likes this.
  17. Longtooths

Longtooths Supreme Commander
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend LTC

Shadowbane allowed you to steal from other players. I was a thief in that game, even wrote about my thief CHUD and his escapades for stratics at one time.

TheScoundrelRico likes this.
  18. Longtooths

Longtooths Supreme Commander
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend LTC

What I love about UO.

I like the housing, EM events, resource gathering to crafting, taming, ....

But I sincerely think if you boiled it all down, it would be the camaraderie and friendships I have made throughout the years. If you took the people out of this game I probably wouldn't like it near as much.

19. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Oops, that was one game I didn't play...la

20. drcossack

drcossack Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I prefer pre-fab to customized, tbh. When I came back, a (now guildmate) ended up giving me a keep on Ice Island Fel. I loved it there, but it was also way more storage than I ever needed. A few weeks ago, I relocated to Yew Gate after a bunch of houses (empty) fell, and I had a guildmate customize it for me.

Deco? lol. In both houses I just threw stuff in random places and called it a day.

Yup. A few of my old friends were still playing when I came back, and others have returned, quit again, etc. Got to know new people as well. If I hadn't, I would've rode off into the sunset again. Probably for good this time. (lol.)

21. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Yup! Being able to do what you want when you want. You can be really into peerless one day then want to play a rogue or a murderer the next then slide into an EM event or two in the middle.
    I like games that don't dictate what I "have" to do or be.

Lord Nabin likes this.
  22. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Oh yeah and my houses. There's that. I think that's more of an obsession for me :p

Lord Nabin likes this.
  23. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Hmm Likes and Dislikes. Or better yet Pros and Cons

Pros
    1. Freedom: You have so much more than most games.
    2. Housing: It's not unique, but persistent housing is uncommon, I can give or take the customizable houses, more well thought out template houses would have worked for me.
    3. The Community: there are many passionate helpful people in UO who want to help new players have a good time.
    4. Content: There's a lot to do!
    5. It's Retro!: Retro is in, I mean have you looked at many of the indie games coming these days?
    Cons
    1. Lack of direction: New players are lost utterly and completely, a new player experience may or may not help this. Teaching them how to "Talk" or "Walk" and preform a basic attack won't prepare them for the depth and complexity of game play.
    2. The Community: Yes I listed this as a strength, but there is also a portion of the community that is toxic to the well being of the game. Elitist, clown shoes who would rather insult than help a new player with so simple as some real advice.
    3. Convoluted Mechanics: Mechanics add depth to the game play experience, it's true. But look at crafting for example. You don't go out and just smith or tailor. Now you have half a dozen steps to alter the properties on an item in order to get something you want to use. Combat skills? Oh you need this weapon with these properties, matched with these skills, while wearing that armor with those properties, oh and in 3 months all of this will be worthless because they'll do a change to a mechanic and it alters everything.
    4. Poor Customer Support: We have overly long waits for in game support (seriously we don't all have 4-5 hours to wait on a GM), to much is dependent on "catching them in the act", severe lack of enforcement of RoC and ToS, ambivalence when asked for rule clarification, all create an atmosphere where it appears (true or not) that those in charge of maintaining the game don't really care. It's entirely plausible that this is a result of a funding issue, but it's turning into a self fulfilling prophecy, lack of ability to adequately support the game due to funding, leads to people leaving, leading to less funding to support the game.

24. Kirthag

Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

I didn';t wanna mention the hoarding.... lol.... being obsessive compulsive, I spend hours just making sure the pixels line up in my chest. Sometimes, I go back to a full chest of itty-bitty blackrocks and reorganize them....

I miss the voices, they kept me company...:hahaha:

25. MalagAste

Me too! OMG that was the most awesome thing... I also miss blackrock infecting things. That was sooo much fun!!! The voices just cracked me up!

26. Spock's Beard

The biggest thing hurting the game right now are these incompetent developers. Everything they add either makes the game worse or is completely irrelevant.

27. WootSauce

WootSauce Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Kyronix is a Don Qixote and Rube Goldberg sammich. What we are left to deal with is insanely amusing.

Lord Nabin, Acid Rain and Kyronix like this.
  28. Noryiscool

Noryiscool Adventurer

Best thing is soulstones.

29. NinjaSampire

NinjaSampire Seasoned Veteran

Being a "Tramy", I have to say I enjoy being able to log on and do what're I feel like. There are so many interesting variables in the game that drive it's uniqueness. It's crazy how you can tweak your armor, skills or weapons just a little and have huge differences. I played the game for a year or so back before the stygian abyss and imbuing. I liked it then but real life priorities took over. I came back a little over a year ago and really enjoy my time spent in Sosaria. I have days where lag angers me or I forget to secure something and it "poofs", but it is what it is and I enjoy it.

Lord Nabin likes this.
  30. Vexxed

Vexxed Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

7 HOUR Harrower fight on Sonoma last nigh with 3 sides consisting of 25 ish people.... Fun stuff!

Lord Nabin, whiterabbit and Kirthag like this.
  31. Melchiah

Melchiah Journeyman

For me, it's so much about being able to do what you want to do. You don't have to do anything at all!

If I want to run around dungeons, tackling monsters, I can. If I want to try to build the best suit I can, with my crafter, I'll do it. Hell, if I want to sit at WBB and watch the time flow by, I can. Stealthing around, and even watching the monsters, or the noises they make, just gives it that added edge. I still love to run around the map to discover things that I haven't seen before, or that I'd forgotten about.

When, for example, was the last time you clicked on an item on the floor in Deceit? Or revisited some of the old EM locations in Ilshenar? There are people in this game I've known longer than my RL friends, and that means a lot. I played some shooters, Unreal for example, and don't even know them more than in game. UO brings so much more to the table than I could have imagined over 15 years ago...

One of my original player friends in RL asked me if I resent paying so much over the years. Answer? No, not at all. Never will, even if I lost all my items tomorrow. UO life is so much more than meets the eye.

NinjaSampire likes this.
  32. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

Thread title:
    The Good Things in UO
    Just couldn't resist, could you?

Acid Rain and Lord Nabin like this.
  33. SexySosarian

SexySosarian Visitor

As a former player who just lurks now, I miss the sense of wonder and community no game has held since IMO.

I wouldn't return, the game is far too broken and most of my friends have left years ago for greener pastures... but heck, RP was fun back in the day and I have good memories.

34. Lord Nabin

Lord Nabin High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Glorious Lord ACW

The good things in uo

Still learning things I never knew

The community environment

The fact I can peruse what ever game style interests me at the time.

Meeting up with my uo friends in real life after years of working together online

*stokes fire*

*Raises a glass of good old Moonglow Red in your direction in salute*

To the up comming 25th anniversary

35. IgloAtlantic

IgloAtlantic Visitor

Pacing. I've always liked how UO can be as fun with only 15 minutes to play or 5 hours. Like many of you, I've played a wide range of MMORPGs, and UO is as fun for slow casual play as it is for frantic hardcore challenges. I also wanted to note how important the vendor search tool is. A great equalizer that allows all players a chance at taking full part in the economy.

Chazztizer likes this.
  36. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

As a retired type having hobbies. Only thing still good about UO. Cheeper then Golf and Fishing.

Hard to justify the cost when all that's left is same vanilla play. Not even a little timely sprinkles to keep it alive. Instead we get chicken gizzard flavored ice cream and try it. It is NEW. I'm just at the point now of packing the BBB. Beetles/Bankbox/Backpack.

And when you dev steal someones ideal about transporting quest. Don't forget the fracking wagons. Still steamed about new wood ideal also. And still no fracking rarewood treefolk seeking vengance.

37. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor

Meeting some very fantastic people in the game. These are the ones I miss.

Lord Nabin likes this.
  38. Riply

Riply Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

The players that I have meet over the years would be first. No matter how many I have played I am still always learning new things. Been playing since almost Beta. Housing was a smart idea for UO, keeps me paying lol. Events, crafting, trying to piece togather the best armour is a challenge. As has been said before I can play when ever I want, as much as I want with out having to spend hours like some other games require. I just wish we could get some more new players in the game.

Lord Nabin likes this.
  39. Messy boy

Messy boy Adventurer

The people seem friendly and helpful, even someone that killed me in yew resurrected me and helped me with advice.

I like the crafting options to be able to make a whole bunch of things that I can use or sell.

I also love the wide variety of animals and creatures my tamer can befriend. One day I will have a greater dragon.

MalagAste, Kirthag and Lord Nabin like this.
  40. Percivalgoh

Stratics Veteran

41. Kirthag

oh em squeeee!!!!
    *points*
    I got that, and that, and oh yeah, that.... have that, got 4 of those, 3 of those, hmm.... yep! got that too!
    got the hildebrandt dragon (kinda in a large cabinet right now so hard to get it), all the McFarlane action figures, a couple of the collectible LBR borg figures (one was a prize from Mythic) ...

and I got this as well... (game is on 3 floppies, required 640K RAM, and additional 256K RAM if you wanted to play the musit. os = IBM3.5!!!)
    upload_2015-4-11_18-23-54.png

and a few others in a storage box in the attic. :)

Lord Nabin likes this.