1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

    In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

    Dismiss Notice

The long voyage.

Discussion in 'UO Europa' started by Sam the Scribe, Jun 1, 2008.

  1. Sam the Scribe

    Sam the Scribe Visitor

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2007
    Messages:
    699
    Likes Received:
    0
    A man sits at the bar in New Haven. He raises a chicken leg to his mouth. He tastes blood. He summons a waitress. She is young. She is beautiful.

    [​IMG]

    "What is wrong, sir?"

    He notices the curve of her breasts, the sweet smell of her perfume. He stutters now... wishing he had not summoned her to complain....

    "The chicken is raw, and well I can eat it I guess..."

    He tries to hide a small notebook under his arm... she notices....

    She leans forward to clear his plate from the table. Her perfume surrounds him. He makes a decision.

    [​IMG]

    Her hopes had faded long ago. She knew she would be stuck in this horrid place forever. Then she saw the notebook. Pretending not to see she smiled and hoped that she could please the man. The man who would be her ticket out of this horrid town.

    He is grateful. He talks of a sea voyage. She lies about her knowledge of sailing. She smiles. He smiles.

    Tossing her apron to the floor of the bar they both head towards the docks.

    [​IMG]

    He shows her his boat. She admires it.

    Dawn is still hours away as they set off on an adventure. She want's her freedom. He wants salvation.

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Sam the Scribe

    Sam the Scribe Visitor

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2007
    Messages:
    699
    Likes Received:
    0
    The storm came up on the horizon. One minute, clear skies... the next dark clouds and flashes of lightning.

    "Were in for a storm lass!" The man shouts a course change to the tillerman. Daphne grabs the mast and holds on tightly.

    In the distance she sees something, a light of some sort. "Look! Look over there!"

    [​IMG]

    Suddenly, a loud crunching noise and the boat shudders as it runs over submerged rocks. It pitches wildly to the side and everyone falls to the deck. Daphne sees the man's head smashing into the ships rail as he hits the deck.

    With a sickening lurch the boat runs aground. Daphne is the first to rise. Looking around she can see a town in the distance. The lighthouse is nearby. "A lot of good that did us!" Daphne sputters angrily.

    [​IMG]

    The man rises and staggers around. Blood flows from a gash in his head and Daphne wraps a makeshift bandage around his skull. "Who are you?" He looks at her with wide eyes.

    At first Daphne giggles, thinking it's some kind of a joke but she watches him stagger around. He does not even recognize his own boat.

    Pulling open a hatch she gathers the supplies and takes an inventory. The only useful item seems to be a fishing pole. No tools, no maps or charts and only a small supply of food. The ship looked ill prepared for a treasure hunting expedition. She begins to wonder if this man really knew where he was going or what he was doing.

    There was no sign of the little notebook with treasure written on the cover.

    Daphne drags a tattered section of sail across the deck. She lays it on the deck making a makeshift bedroll. The man is asleep on the deck. She can hear him breathing. Tomorrow she will find out where they are and seek assistance.

    Tomorrow...
     
  3. Sam the Scribe

    Sam the Scribe Visitor

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2007
    Messages:
    699
    Likes Received:
    0
    The man awakens early. His head pounding. He peels the old bandage away, wincing at the pain. Rinsing it in the salty seawater he swabs the dried blood from the wound on his head. Fresh blood begins to trickle down his face. He tears off a strip of sailcloth and wraps it around his head, pulling the knot tightly to cut off the flow of blood.

    He is on a boat. He can not remember why but he does remember things about boats. Making a quick inspection he finds that the rudder has been smashed and will need to be replaced. The sails are torn as well and will need mending. The boat also seems to be firmly wedged on the rocks against the shore. Too high up for even high tide to float it free.

    [​IMG]

    "Must have been one hell of a wave that swept us up here." He grumbles to himself.

    He sees the woman draped in sailcloth. She is sleeping. He can not remember her name or if he knows her. The growling in his stomach pushes him off the boat and towards the high walls of a nearby town. He walks up to people he doesn't even know and asks for money. "Any gold you can spare... there's a good lass. Thank you." The words come easily, he feels no shame at begging and wonders if he has done it often.

    [​IMG]

    Having gathered enough coin to buy a hatchet he looks for the provisioner's shop. As he moves towards the north end of town he spots a body on the ground. He thinks for a moment of checking for a purse or anything of use... but then decides against it. Often the town guards deal harshly with looters. He had no idea where he was or what the local customs were so he moved on.

    Rounding the corner he spots the familiar merchant sign of the Provisioner's establishment. Just then a dark knight on a black horse turns and begins to ride towards him. He then notices other creatures and though he does not recognize them, he knows that they are evil and intend to harm him.

    He runs. He hears the cries of the townspeople behind him but he can not help them now. He cares only for his own life as he dashes back through the woods to the safetly of the boat. Lifting the hatch he crawls into the storage compartment, peeking out to see if he has been pursued.

    After an hour or so, he realizes his stomach is still empty. His mission to town a failure. Grabbing a fishing pole he tosses the line into the water. Hoping to catch something to eat.

    "Lazy wench!" He grumbles at the woman. She is still asleep. A jerk on the line grabs his attention and he pulls a large fish from the water.

    [​IMG]

    "That'll make a fine meal." He mutters as he cleans and guts the fish. He peers into the woods, looking for any sign of a possible attacker. Satisfied, he jumps to the shore and cuts some branches from a dead tree with his daggar.

    The smoke rises from the fire as he turns the fish slowly. The smell of cooking food causes the woman on the boat to stir.

    "I guess she will be wanting some too..." Grumbles the man. He turns the spit slowly and watches the woman as she rises from her sailcloth sheets.
     
  4. Tjalle

    Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

    Joined:
    May 12, 2008
    Messages:
    4,774
    Likes Received:
    1,213
    Great story so far... :thumbup:

    Encore! Encore! :cheerleader:
     
  5. Lady_Rachel

    Lady_Rachel Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2004
    Messages:
    957
    Likes Received:
    133
    She wrapped up the fish bones and slowly walked the plank to shore. No sense leaving these about to draw predators. Kneeling at the base of a tree she glanced back at the boat. She was shaded from view by the branches. Pulling a dagger she had hidden in her boot she dug a small hole and buried the remains of their meal. After cleaning the blade on some grasses she stowed it away and rose. Stepping around the foliage she noted he was sitting on the sails, staring off to sea.
    Something called to her from the cool forests. Freedom...

    Her gaze drifted to the boat again. He was injured. She couldn't just up and leave him. But she could look around, and pretend if just for awhile she was on her own.

    Slipping through the woods stray breezes cooled her face and made her hair dance about her face. She smiled at the antics of the smaller wildlife and kept her ears sharp for the sounds of larger.
    The sounds of music, faint at first came from the North. People out here? She was drawn to it. Were they friendly though?
    Slowly she made her way and soon could see the walls of a building through the branches. She sat on the ground and watched. Rubbing a leaf between her fingers she pondered. The music wasn't coming from the building she could see. It was farther off yet. No activity that she could see through the open windows...

    A loud snuffling behind her helped her make up her mind.
    Quickly she rose and darted towards the steps. The door opened easily. Cots lay about and bowls long dry sat nearby. Abandoned? The fine layer of dust covered the sheets on the cots. A large wrinkled glob sat on a counter, remnants of some long discarded fruit. A healer hall? She called out...Hello!...no answer.

    She could bring him here. Perhaps someone would show up with knowledge of his injuries and how to aid him.

    Making her way outside she noted another building a bit west. The music had stopped. Chewing her lower lip she waited, then strode to the brick front of the next building. It was dark and cold inside. The stones protected it from the sun. Her eyes slowly adjusted to the gloom. A church of some type she figured. No sign of people here either though. Running her fingers along a pew she came back with grit. Noting a box by the door she walked over. She could read simple things. 'Poor box'. Opening it she found one pair of discarded leather pants inside. A bit mouse bitten but it would cover one on a cold night. She snagged the pants and headed back into the timbers. It wasn't a long hike back to the ship.

    [​IMG]

    He was awake, standing naked by the boat. If he hadn't been scolding she might have let herself enjoy the sight, but the growl of his voice and the shaking of his fist put all other thoughts out of her head. What was he going on about now? His clothes? He put them wet on the rails and after they dried they blew away...
    She sighed.

    [​IMG]
     
  6. Sam the Scribe

    Sam the Scribe Visitor

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2007
    Messages:
    699
    Likes Received:
    0
    "Where are my clothes!" The man had fallen asleep, or perhaps passed out. The woman was gone, and so were his clothes. He had removed them to wash them, and had carefully hung them from the ships railing. Now they were gone.

    The woman appears, walking along the shoreline. He jumps from the boat and confronts her. "What did you do with my clothes?" He feels weak and his body trembles. She looks suprised at his outburst then replies: "They probably blew away!"

    Looking about he realizes she was probably right. He had not secured them in any way and the wind had taken his clothes. He felt foolish now, standing naked in front of her, shaking his fists. He lowered his arms to his sides and exhaled deeply.

    "I'm sorry lass. You are probably right. I had no right so shout. It's... well... this not remembering anything has put me on edge."

    She pulls a tattered pair of leggings from her pouch and tosses them to the ground at his feet. "There! I was going to cut them up and make some leather straps but you can wear them for now. And... don't shout at me anymore. I'm stranded here too you know." Her lower lip trembled slightly, then she balled her fists and strode past him onto the ship.

    "Where did you get these lass?" He asked in a soft voice.

    "There is a settlement nearby... outside the gates of the town." She glances back and watches him as he pulls the trousers on.

    "Really? I hope it's safer than the town! Last time I went there I was chased by some kind of Deamon-Knight!" He walks around a few paces testing the new clothes. "Not a bad fit." He smiles.

    "Well, since you've got pants now how about I show you the settlement?" She leads him to the North and they move cautiously through the trees. As before they see no person or even a sign of life.

    "I wonder if they were all killed by those evil beasts that inhabit the town?" The man looks about apprehensively.

    They wander into a makeshift hospital. There are bloody bandages on the floor and some of the beds are in disarray. "Lets look for anything we can use lass."

    "You just want to take things? These things aren't ours." She looks around to see if anyone is coming.

    "Lass, we are in dire straights and there is nobody around to help us... the town is full of evil vermin and I've barely been able to catch enough fish for us to survive. We need supplies. Grab what ya can lass."

    [​IMG]

    She looks through the shelves, grabbing some items. Most of the medicine bottles are empty and dust-covered.

    Suddenly, birds rocket from the trees in response to a loud howl that pierces the forest.

    "RUN! RUN BACK TO THE BOAT!"

    She gathers some bandages and they sprint off through the woods. The sounds of crashing trees and trampled bushes not far behind.
     
  7. Sam the Scribe

    Sam the Scribe Visitor

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2007
    Messages:
    699
    Likes Received:
    0
    The man struggles to keep up. His head is pounding and the gash in his forehead has reopened. Blood trickles into his eyes and he is momentarily blinded.

    The woman is almost to the boat, but she stops and turns. "Hurry, it's right behind you!"

    "Get in the boat and hide in the hold woman!" He bellows as he begins running again. She does as he says, pulling the hatch down over her head hiding from the horror that pursues them both.

    The man can see the boat now. Suddenly, he realizes he is leading the beast directly to the woman. The boat is wedged against the rocks! There is no escape. He reaches into his pack searching for a weapon. His fingers wrap around the gnarled shaft of the fishing pole. Shouting a curse, he jabs the pole towards the towering red beast. It lashes out, the cloven hoof of it's monstrous leg catching the man in the chest.

    As he flies through the air, he feels oddly calm. There is no pain, just the blue skies and clouds above as he rises to join them. His flight ends quickly, as he smashes into the deck of the boat. His chest ripped open. Blood quickly spreads across the wooden deck.

    She watches in horror through a crack in the wood. The massive beast jumps onto the boat and the entire vessel rocks with it's weight. It tears it's claws across the mans face, but he does not respond. He is dead already and past the point of feeling pain.

    As if remembering the other, the beast looks around the ship. Listening carefully. Tears stream down the woman's face but she remains silent. Shivering in the hold.

    A scream from the settlement in the distance turns the beasts head to the North. He grunts and leaps from the boat with such force that his hooves tear planking into splinters.

    [​IMG]

    Again the vessel rocks violently and with a sickening crunch, slides from the rocky berth that had held it against the shore. The woman can feel the boat rocking with the waves. The sound of breakers on the shore fading away.... Summoning all the courage she could muster she pushes her hands against the hatch. The hinges scream as the hatch opens, revealing the corpse of the man whom was to be her salvation from her mundane life.
     
  8. Lady_Rachel

    Lady_Rachel Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2004
    Messages:
    957
    Likes Received:
    133
    " Very good child! You have a natural talent. With some practice you could be quite good! "
    Before the girl could complete her smile she was jerked from the tent.
    " Leave her be old woman!! I'll not have ya corrupting her thoughts with your nonsense! "
    With a shake she was pushed towards her wagon, raised voices continued behind her.
    " Stay away from my daughter or I will have you cast out! "

    The memory faded as she crawled out towards the body of the man. Blood smeared her hands, color had left his skin already. A sob escaped her as she saw the extent of his wounds. His chest gaped open, and his face was mangled.

    She grabbed his shoulders.
    " Why! Why!? " She shook him.

    Why had he turned and faced it? Why hadn't he run to the safety of the ship?
    With a trembling hand she covered her mouth. She had an ache around her heart as she realized he might have done it to keep the beast away from her? Was that it? Had he done it to protect her? Tears washed down her face..foolish foolish man! She wasn't worth dying for! She wiped her eyes streaking her face with blood.

    Taking a deep breath she looked skyward. Placing her hands on his chest she started.

    " Anh Mi Sah Ko, Anh Mi Sah Ko....."
    Her skin tingled as she felt herself connect with the netherworld. A coldness rose up her arms, pulling the spirit threads back and forth across his body. A misty image began to appear. She slowed her chant as it swirled around his corpse.

    He was still here then. Where ever here was. But his body? How to keep it from decay? Chanting softly she rummaged through her pack. A few herbs lifted from the healer area. But was it enough? Her eyes darted about the boat in desperation. In frustration she slammed the pack to the deck.
    Grabbing a piece of cloth she washed the congealed mess from his face. Gashes would heal. He would be scarred but nothing life threatening there. It was his chest! What to do??....She crushed the herbs onto the cloth and ground them into a paste. Pressing the mess against his open chest she continued her chanting..

    " Anh Mi Sah Ko, Anh Mi Sah Ko.."

    A whirring noise startled her and she instinctively ducked down. Clacking sounds came from the mast. Holding herself across his body as if to protect it from any harm she watched a bola spin and wrap itself about the mast. An attack??
    Wide eyed she looked to shore.
    There he stood on the bank, looking at her regally. He held a staff topped with bits of bones, feathers, and beads. He nodded at her. Just a tilt of the head. Acknowledging her. His minions stood just behind him. Arrows notched.
    She whimpered, but kept her chanting...

    " Anh Mi Sah Ko..."

    With a roar he answered her..

    " ANH MI SAH KO!!!...ANH MI SAH KO!!!.."
    The orcs behind him lowered their weapons, still notched but pointing earthward now.
    The Shaman held his hand toward the boat, pointing to the mast.

    Looking closer she saw a bag wrapped in the bola. She lunged for it spilling herbs across the deck. Quickly she looked shoreward, hope in her eyes. But they had melted back into the forests.
    No matter. She scurried back to his side. She had only to keep him tended til help could be found.
    Plastering more herbs to his wound she kept watching the shores for signs of a healer.

    " Anh Mi Sah Ko...Anh Mi Sah Ko.."
     
  9. Lady_Rachel

    Lady_Rachel Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2004
    Messages:
    957
    Likes Received:
    133
    The boat bobbed in the water, rocking her.
    So tired...so very tired now.

    The sun had set and rose again, but still she continued.
    Her throat was raw. Her lips cracked. The water was all around her but undrinkable.

    So cold. Even with the sun beating down on her she felt sooo cold.
    She shivered as the boat weaved closer to shore and passed under the shade of a tree.

    She was losing her mind. She was sure of it. Last time she had changed his bandages it seemed as if the wound was closing. The herbs she was using were unknown to her. But what to do? What choice did she have? All she had left were the herbs tossed to her by the Orcish Shaman now.

    "Anh Mi Sah Ko.. An Corp...Anh Mi Sah Ko..An Corp..," her voice a whisper, cracking like dry leaves around the words.

    So very very cold. He felt warmer than her. She spread her arms across his chest, letting them rest on the unbandaged skin. Trying to seek the warmth his body was radiating.
    Barely audible she chanted the words one last time as her head dropped, resting on her arms. With a sigh exhaustion over took her.

    She didn't feel the boat bump against the shore and stop.

    She didn't see his eyelids flicker and still.
     
  • About Us

    Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

    Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

    Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

    • Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

    Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

    Donate to us!