1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

The Lunatics Are Running The Asylum

Discussion in 'EA Land/The Sims Online Stratics Forums' started by lindleyjr9, Feb 7, 2008.

1. lindleyjr9

lindleyjr9 Guest

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me. If you have a phone number or address to contact someone other than EA Support I would appreciate. I know I have posted before regarding my many difficulites at getting my 30 day time code for TSO each month. Below I will past my latest attempt to get my new code. Obviously I will blank out my personal information. Trust me, you will not believe how difficult this is. I have been playing TSO since beta and am a founder. I am sorry for the length of this post but please take a minute to get to the bottom. I am pulling my hair out! LOL My present code is about to expire and I will be shut out again. CAN ANYONE HELP???

Sent to EA Support

TSO (EA Land) 30 day subscription time code.

I sent my subscription fee via Paypal as below on Jan 29/08. Why do I have to go thru this process everytime I pay? Can I pay for a 90 day subscription for TSO ( EA Land )Please at least provide my new time code at your earliest convenience.

Your payment for $13.99 USD to [email protected] has been sent.

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in the Recent Activity list on your Account Overview.

Currency Conversion: $14.40 CAD = $13.99 USD
    The exchange rate for this purchase is 1 CAD = 0.971694USD

-----------------------------------
    Payment Details
    -----------------------------------

Amount: $13.99 USD

Transaction ID:
    Subject: lindleyjr9 30 day subscription to The Sims on Line - EA Land

Screen Name:
    Date of Birth:

Answer from EA Support
    Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

We apologize for inconvenience caused to you.

I would like to inform you that currently, there is only one way to pay for a 90 days subscription for TSO ( EA Land ):

1) Credit Card: You can pay with your credit card.

If there is anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

Thank you,

Amarnath
    EA Online Support.

Response back to EA Support

Amarnath,
    I understand about 90 day subcription by credit card only. However, I provide proof of payment for my game time code also. That was the main reason I contacted you. You have not included it. May I have it please.

Response from EA Support

Thank you for writing EA.com account services.

In order for us to assist with the issue or request at hand, please reply to this e-mail with the following information:

- Full name used to place the order:
    - Email address registered with Paypal:

With this information, we should be able to assist with the request or issue.

Please let us know if there is anything else needed.

Thank you,

Anurag
    EA Online Support.

Response to EA Support

This is becoming more ridiculous by the minute. I have already provided my player name / my birth date / My current TSO game code and my Postal Code and a copy of my e-mail from Paypal confirming payment was sent to EA on Jan 29/07. You now need more information? I have been a faithful customer for TSO on and off since the game was in testing. I have asked for contact information previously to launch a formal complaint and been ignored. The way I am treated as a customer is appalling to say the least.

My name registered with Paypal is:
    My E-mail address with Paypal is the same as with you:
    MAY i HAVE MY 30 DAY SUBSCRIPTION TIME CODE TO THE SIMS ON LINE ( EA LAND ) PLEASE!

EA Response to me
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts!

Please uninstall your current version of the game and reinstall using this version if you are getting that error:

https://ea-land.ea.com/register/freetrial.php

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Landon F.
    Customer Support
    Electronic Arts

My last response to EA Support tonight
    What are you talking about? I am not getting an error. I have paid via Paypal for my 30 day subscription Please provide my Game Time Code!!!!!!!

2. DGLita

DGLita Guest

Head, Brick Wall, bang hard several times until unconcious

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I completely sympathise with you on this one *sigh*

I have been posting on this thread about this.

I paid on 30th Jan and got my code this morning (UK time) but still cant apply it myself due to the screen not recognising any code has been entered.

Still waiting for Cust services to get back to me saying the have applied my code

4. Guest

Guest Guest

All I can say is.....

I'm speechless lol. Sorry....its funny but its not!!! Hopefully someone can help you resolve it soon before you're committed.

[​IMG]

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I called Customer Support only twice. The first time, a person of obviously Indian nationality told me his name was "Barry".
    The second time, I talked to someone of obvious Indian nationality who claimed to be "Brenda".
    Neither time was helpful. I'm not sure if it was because they didn't know any answers or because I couldn't sort through the thick accent.
    I have never called again.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

LOL I phoned a few times (yes from the UK and yes it cost me a fortune) because I kept getting a message like 'we did not understand your response - please try again' [​IMG]

Took me 6 attempts to get to what I thought was the right area only to be told by a recorded message that I could change my billing info online.

I gave up after that......

This month 2 cust services billing/payment enquiries went 5 and 6 days without ANY response whatsoever from EA - so much for the 24 hour response timeline they give.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Whatever you do, don't give up. Continue updating your question until they give you what you paid for. I know it's frustrating. I also go through this song and dance every time I buy a game code via Paypal. It took them approximately 2 weeks to even reply to my question. It really shouldn't be that difficult.

Cases like yours makes me wonder if they actually read what their customers issues are....or if they can't fully understand what you're saying.

Btw, some of the information you got is not correct. You don't need a credit card to pay for a 90 day code. I paid for both my 90 day codes (2 accounts) with Paypal.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I think the big issue is they were probably as surprised as I am to discover that there is no prepaid credit card option there in the UK like there is here in the US. If I was a resident there, I'd be finding out WHY that is from someone at your banking establishment or whomever. I agree 100% that EA Customer Service *is* extremely lacking, but the payment issue is two-fold as I see it......it's awful that Paypal doesn't let UK residence have the prepaid debit card that is tied to your account, or the Secure Card plug-in that is available to US customers....so while you're rattling cages I think I'd also fire an e-mail off to the higher ups at Paypal asking why UK users aren't on the same footing with US users as far as services offered.

9. lindleyjr9

lindleyjr9 Guest

Hi

Could you tell me how much the 90 day subscription via Paypal is in USD for future attemps?

10. Guest

Guest Guest

You can actually get pre-paid credit cards in the UK but the majority of them have a £5 monthly fee (or £50 up front each year) attached.

Currently 30 days TSO paid by CC = £7.99
    30 days paid by Paypal = US$13.99 (£7.10 ish - average 3 months payments)

So I wouldn't get a pre-paid card as I would end up paying half as much again for the privelage.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I paid $38.99 for a 90 day code, for one account.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Hi

Could you tell me how much the 90 day subscription via Paypal is in USD for future attemps?

[/ QUOTE ]

US$38.99

I'm in the process of changing my accounts over to 90 day codes to save myself as much stress [​IMG] That way I'll only be stressing about 1 code each month.

Anyway - I'm off to bed (pssst LadyK you should too [​IMG]), hopefully I'll have 2 lovely e-mails from EA Cust Services when I wake to say that they have sucessfully applied my codes *woot*

*is NOT holding her breath though*

13. lindleyjr9

lindleyjr9 Guest

Well guys, thanks for your input so far, even the suggestion to bang my head until unconcious. I am obviously hitting a brick wall LOL This is a prime example of the problem in North America ( which includes us in Canda) While we appreciate lower prices because companies ship their numerous departments to other countries to reduce labour and operating costs, it cost us all more in the long run. Whether it is regarding service or products, we are the ones who are affected in the end. The damage is just not obvious but time will tell. And high paying jobs are disappearing. Of course these situations must be costing some money in lost customers. Oops Sorry started to rant there. LOL I guess I will just have to keep responding to the EA Support no matter how frustrating and totally ridiculous this problem is. Whatever happens I would love to be able to contact the executive for EA though. Again, if you have any advice to help me get my "paid for" subscription before my current one expires please let me know.

Cheers

14. Guest

Guest Guest

On your next attempt send them this.

Having tried now several times to resolve my simple problem through this support centre I am now including my invoice for my own time spent on this matter.
    You are legally bound to correct any errors of this type made by your company in a prompt manner and I am entitled by law to seek any costs accumulated to myself by your lack of attention to the matter.

15. lindleyjr9

lindleyjr9 Guest

Thanks I will give it try. Anything that my draw an intelligent response

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Wow! Just... Wow! [​IMG]

If that doesn't drive a person to drinking, I don't know what will!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I love the thread title... It seems sooo appropriate given this really bizarre chain of events!

Hang in there, hon, and try not to let it make you looney! [​IMG]

17. Guest

Guest Guest

No lovely e-mails for customer services this morning.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Sadly, I don't think the writers of "Saturday Night Live" could do any better than that.

19. lindleyjr9

lindleyjr9 Guest

LOL Thanks Milton,

My EA subscription notice advised it would expire in 7 days from Jan 2/08 (just in time for the weekend when I usually play the most ) If this happens, you will hear me screaming from the rooftops, where ever you may be in this world. lol Hopefully my sanity will remain in tact. Have you ever heard of loyal customers being treated like this? The saga continues. I will keep you posted.

Have a great Friday everyone.

20. lindleyjr9

lindleyjr9 Guest

* 7 days from Feb 2/08 Haven't had a coffe yet this morning

21. Guest

Guest Guest

Fingers crossed you get your codes and get them applied for you today

22. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Guest

Those responses are beyond ridiculous. If it's any comfort to you, over the years we have seen many similiar examples of EA customer service. It's not just you.

23. Guest

Guest Guest

Well one of the accounts the codes are for will run out of time over the weekend and I'm gonna be really, really, REALLY hacked off if I cant play as I paid 11 days before it was due to run out [​IMG]

24. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks EA for outsourcing!
    I have talked to "Nancy" and "David" a few times. I guess its the "American" name they get every day at the beginning of their shift. Its frustrating as hell trying to deal with the heavy accent and minimum wage (if that) intellect.

25. Guest

Guest Guest

now I'm sure that Baboo and Hapoo are really trying their best... after all EA has beeen beddy beddy gut to me. [​IMG]

26. Guest

Guest Guest

Customer service has never been very good. I've never had an issue resolved to my satisfaction.

Take shots. You'll feel better.

27. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Customer service has never been very good. I've never had an issue resolved to my satisfaction.

Take shots. You'll feel better.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kinda what I was thinking [​IMG]

Yes, EA should not outsource to such far away countries, but its not the workers' faults that English isn't their first language....put blame where it's due and that is with EA for not keeping those jobs at home here in the US where they belong......God knows with the unemployment problem in this country they could have found Americans without some of those issues to work for them, but there would still be the problem of having some substandard workers if all they are going to pay is minimum wage. Workers who are worth more won't work for peanuts. Again though, that's EA's fault not the workers and they don't deserve to have thinly veiled ethic jokes levied at them *sigh*.

28. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Again though, that's EA's fault not the workers and they don't deserve to have thinly veiled ethic jokes levied at them *sigh*.

[/ QUOTE ]

Making fun of strong accents, either American or foreign is a comedy staple in this country....probably because everyone of us came to this country with an accent....at some point in our family tree, and we all have a regional accents....you just don't notice it in text! [​IMG]

Trying to understand heavy accents when dealing with tech speak, and not well understood technical issues are a true nightmare (a heavy American accent is just as bad an Indian one). They are also dealing from a script...(I know this because my sister is tech support for a popular software product...which was outsourced until it was recognized as unworkable, and is now back)...that allows them very little leeway, even if they do have other suggestions...not to mention that they are also half of a world away from anyone with authority to think outside the box or change anything. [​IMG]

So, while it helps relieve the frustration to laugh at the communication difficulties, accents can cause, try to remember, that they are just working stiffs, caught between a rock and a hard place, too. [​IMG]

29. <blockquote><hr>

God knows with the unemployment problem in this country they could have found Americans without some of those issues to work for them, but there would still be the problem of having some substandard workers if all they are going to pay is minimum wage. Workers who are worth more won't work for peanuts

[/ QUOTE ]

True true. I mean I think its like 8-10% are unemployed in the U.S (I ballparked so please correct me if I am wrong), so bring those amounts to this site and say 8-10% of posters may be without a job. It's possible that some that love the game which also may be out of a job, and post here could work for an EA call center/service right? I mean unless the unemployed believed that they are worth much more than the minimum wage which they would not have at the moment...then the ethnic workers will take their spot, make good food and displease the always wanting society of western culture. [​IMG]

P.S resumes don't take long to fill out and hand in.

30. Guest

Guest Guest

Ooooh I'm looking for a job at the moment so I'd apply, only if I could work from home though don't want to be travelling up n down the M25 to get to the EA offices.

Hey - could deal with the UK and Euro customers - something that the current EA CS department dont seem to be able to do [​IMG]

OK when do I start???

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

31. LMAO...Now that is a good one!!!

32. <blockquote><hr>

Thanks EA for outsourcing!
    I have talked to "Nancy" and "David" a few times. I guess its the "American" name they get every day at the beginning of their shift. Its frustrating as hell trying to deal with the heavy accent and minimum wage (if that) intellect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night I was listening to the BBC World Service and they had a report about customer dissatisfaction with customer service handled by call centers in other countries. They specifically mentioned India and the Philippines. (It was noted that their names are not really "Nancy" or "David," lol)

They mentioned that a major problem is that the customer service representatives often have a script, and if a customer is passed from one rep to another they are often subjected to starting "back on page one" of the script. (What I call, "Twenty Questions from Hell.") The reps often are not totally fluent in English, or don't have the depth of knowledge to handle the questions independently (or both).

Apparently some companies have started to rethink having customer service handled in this way, and are returning to having call centers staffed with "locals."

33. wow...i knew ea customer service sucked, but it can't get any worse.
    I wish you luck! If by chance you go banging your head against a wall, make sure it's in the ea building in CA. lol

I looked up EA Games on BBB...lol.

Customer Experience
    Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the BBB due to failure to respond to one or more complaints and or two or more otherwise unresolved complaints. However the business has resolved most complaints presented to the bureau.

BBB listing for EA Games

When I am mad at a company that is where I go to complain. lol. Considering you have actually made a payment, and not received the service, your complaint would be legit.

34. <blockquote><hr>

Customer Experience
    Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the BBB due to failure to respond to one or more complaints and or two or more otherwise unresolved complaints. However the business has resolved most complaints presented to the bureau.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Talk about bureaucracy speak!

35. lol thats why I left the link; too much to copy and paste.

36. Guest

Guest Guest

TTL

I'm truly shocked at some of the comments in this thread and none of them were in the original post.

Please feel free to discuss the problems with customer service to your hearts content, but please refrain from discriminatory remarks about nationality and intellect.

Thanks.

Polly

37. <blockquote><hr>

Ooooh I'm looking for a job at the moment so I'd apply, only if I could work from home though don't want to be travelling up n down the M25 to get to the EA offices.

Hey - could deal with the UK and Euro customers - something that the current EA CS department dont seem to be able to do

OK when do I start???

[/ QUOTE ]

you start when EA begins to care about customer service of course [​IMG]

On a side note everyone knows everything post will get derailed at some point, its the fun of not having everything so monotone in nature.

38. <blockquote><hr>

TTL

I'm truly shocked at some of the comments in this thread and none of them were in the original post.

Please feel free to discuss the problems with customer service to your hearts content, but please refrain from discriminatory remarks about nationality and intellect.

Thanks.

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I'm sure some of the "idiots" we have talked to are intelligent people, maybe even exceptionally so, but it gets lost in the translation (or lack thereof). If I was trying to answer questions in Hindi or Tagalog I'd stick to a script and my intelligence would be brought into question (shhh, no insults from the peanut gallery.)

Some companies, although from what I've learned it is mostly catalog ordering, use prisoners to handle phone calls. I always wonder when I get a native speaking rep if they are sitting in a cell somewhere.

39. I would have to agree, the BBB is the right direction to start with, especially when payment has been made.

The call centers in foreign countries are probably not given authority by EA to turn account time on, or adjust payments toward accounts. Otherwise everyone would be calling customer service and asking for "Larry" and telling him, "I paid such and such, for such and such". And Larry would say..."I know which button that is, here, have 90 days on me". Therefore the runaround. EA is not going to hand that type of authority over to just anyone.

Maybe calling the California offices might get something done. Otherwise, before even talking with the call center rep. Ask for someone that has experience dealing with the time cards. They are probably few and far between. But at least it will ease your mind from not going through the hassle with the first rep you speak to. If time cards have been dealt with via the call centers, someone there must know the process.

40. PB Three

PB Three Guest

Oh my goodness... this just strengthens my idea that corporations will go un-ethically out of their way to sqeeze as much profit from the same buck as they can.
    Even to the point where they are 'tickling' the line in which they could have legal-action filed on them.

Grrrrr... this just makes me even more upset at them.

PB Three

41. Guest

Guest Guest

There is nothing illegal about outsourcing, its very common practise in the UK.
    Most major corporations outsource part of their operations - be it call centres or their financial processing functions.

Polly

42. lindleyjr9

lindleyjr9 Guest

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know this post was viewed by an employee of EA here in North America. Although there have been posts about the Paypal problem before, I do not think anyone from EA USA actually viewed the responses customers received from EA support until I posted them here. They are aware there is a serious problem and are investigating. There is hope yet. I wanted to thank everyone for keeping this post going and for the advice given, especially UK. This should be good news for the Paypal users and international players, providing of course the issue is resolved. When I hear anything further I will let you know. Thanks again and I will see you in the game.

43. Guest

Guest Guest

Here's to hoping this brings quick resolution to this insanity!

44. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Some companies, although from what I've learned it is mostly catalog ordering, use prisoners to handle phone calls. I always wonder when I get a native speaking rep if they are sitting in a cell somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

If those workers were getting paid somewhat and that money placed into a savings fund that was untouchable until they were released (in the case of those serving time for non-violent and therefore short-term sentences) and then they were given that money when they are released, I personally would not have a problem with that since it would help to keep those people off public assistance in the transition between the time they got released and the time they found work. Some people freak out that a 'convict' would have access to their personal info, but in my limited experience with work programs such as that, any personal info beyond names is behind either encryptions or some other security so that the person taking the call does not have access to it. The companies that employ them MUST have that kind of safeguard to protect themselves against liability should a complaint ever be levied.

OK, OT to the original post, but that comment caught my eye *waits for the mods to break out the wet noodles*

Speaking of mods......*dipkisses Polly for her comment above about refraining from ethnic/intellect slurs* [​IMG]

45. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know this post was viewed by an employee of EA here in North America. Although there have been posts about the Paypal problem before, I do not think anyone from EA USA actually viewed the responses customers received from EA support until I posted them here. They are aware there is a serious problem and are investigating. There is hope yet. I wanted to thank everyone for keeping this post going and for the advice given, especially UK. This should be good news for the Paypal users and international players, providing of course the issue is resolved. When I hear anything further I will let you know. Thanks again and I will see you in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great news, however I STILL want to urge users of Paypal outside North America to contact PAYPAL executives and find out why you are allowed to have paypal accounts, but not allowed the amenities that are available to us in the United States. As I said before this problem is two fold, partially on the part of EA which it sounds like from this post that that part is being looked into, but also on the part of Paypal for providing its customers with slipshod service as well. If I were you guys outside the US, I'd just rather them say "US customers only" than to accept customers outside the US but to treat them as second-rate users.....that just doesn't make sense to me. I'd write a letter to Paypal myself for clarification of why this is justifiable, but it would not have the same impact coming from me since I am not affected by this as it would someone who *is* affected on a regular basis.

46. Guest

Guest Guest

Part of the problem from what i have read and been told by many different sites such as paypal or regular sites, plus attending web site seminars is this. Be very carefull about accepting credit cards or any form of money from europe. HANG ON POLLY DON'T WACK ME YET!!!!! [​IMG] I don't mean places like England or that area, however some of the middle east and other struggling countries there is a very large ummmm "business" in money fraud. (the only way i could think of to put it) The ability of some countries to police the activities of it's population for these crimes is sometimes nonexistant. You are told straight up if you accept the deal and it's a fraud the changes of you getting your money or any help is slim at best. So most experts advise you to allow the transaction to clear first, before shipping any product.

Again this is not directed at any poster or country, as these people move around a lot which makes it that much more difficult to track and deal with them. And in this case it's kind of funny that paypal would maybe hold up payment to EA since there is no real product being lost, just some server time. Buying server time prob isn't high on the list of these people creating phony bank accounts.

Just my two cents on this post, so now feel free to whip me with the wet noodle Polly, but just remember I might enjoy it. [​IMG]

47. <blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

If those workers were getting paid somewhat and that money placed into a savings fund that was untouchable until they were released (in the case of those serving time for non-violent and therefore short-term sentences) and then they were given that money when they are released, I personally would not have a problem with that since it would help to keep those people off public assistance in the transition between the time they got released and the time they found work. Some people freak out that a 'convict' would have access to their personal info, but in my limited experience with work programs such as that, any personal info beyond names is behind either encryptions or some other security so that the person taking the call does not have access to it. The companies that employ them MUST have that kind of safeguard to protect themselves against liability should a complaint ever be levied.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with it. I just think when I get a native English speaker that I'm speaking to someone incarcerated. It says something about society that we send customer service offshore, or to local felons.

Personaly, IMO, those in jail might know quite a bit about online gaming, and many are experienced at manipulating the system, so felons would be my first choice for EA customer service reps if it was between Prisoner #23038 and Nancy in India who has a script of customer rep responses but no practical knowledge of EA games.

48. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Hi All,

[/ QUOTE ]

Wooooo Hooooooo Thanks for letting us know [​IMG]

*hopes that the EA person that read it either has the power to act or 'knows a man/woman that can'*

Oh and I've have one of my codes applied for me by EA CS - still waiting on the other one, which just happens to be the one that ran out today:( So cos of the time difference I now have to wait till at least Monday afternoon (12 days after payment) UK time before I hear anything *sigh*

49. Guest

Guest Guest

Try pm'ing Parizad, maybe there is something she can do for you.

Polly

• About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!