1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

The Nature of Demons: Virtue Bane.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by WarderDragon, Dec 19, 2010.

1. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni BRPA

A passage from the Codex of Editable Wisdom that might shed light on the meaning of Virtuebane / Virtue Bane.

Daemons - The Codex of Editable Wisdom

This of course raises a number of Questions. Is Virtuebane an Evil Overlord in the vein of Sauron and Darth Vader? Or is he an Angel of Death; a punishment for the hubris of the Britannians and their Queen?

Perhaps the tale is not as Black and White as some would suggest.

Thoughts?

2. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

So was Virtuebane saying his race ruled the domain of darkness?

3. Coppelia

Coppelia Guest

I'm curious how Virtuebane will explain the fall of New Magincia. Greed for rubbles? Annoyed devs who wanted to wipe a town no matter how players would struggle against it?

4. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I would argue that the evidence thus far is that Virtuebane/Virtue Bane UO is bent on conquest, domination, and death, rather than an instrument of divine retribution.

Note this, for example:

Also note the attempt to corrupt the Book of Truth.

And this:

If there was any kind of divine retribution, it would have been the initial smashing of Magincia, not the occupation and invasion we're seeing now. The Virtuebane of Ultima lore is inspiration and source material for this one.

Not to mention that, for my part, my memory of Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar tends to recall Virtuebane in a more malicious light than others' memories tend to.

My in-character dialogue, though, has incorporated this argument. Not as something Galen believes in in-character, but something he knows will be suggested and that he argues against. The phrasing is usually something like "it is not for demons to render divine judgment" and/or "Magincia's fate is ours to decide, not theirs.

Remember, New Magincia hasn't been seen yet. In Ultima lore, that's what is built in-place of the Prideful city of Magincia, which is what was destroyed by Draconi, I mean by demons, years ago. As to why Magincia fell at all?

The way I always understood it was less that the demons were rendering divine judgement than that destroying the Prideful was simply more....More interesting to them. Not to mention that, by coincidence perhaps, it was Magincia's Moongate that the Shadowlords first decided to try and penetrate our world through.

And, ironically, it was someone else's Pride, exhibited through the Blackrock Detecter in Moonglow, that finally let them in.

-Galen's player