1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

The Pledge of Allegiance

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ghost of Gramps, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Ghost of Gramps

Ghost of Gramps Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

2. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Which part didn't ye know?

3. I'd guess the "Under God" addition that came much later. I didn't know the whole "Under God" addition was spearheaded by the Knights of Columbus, though.

Ever since I was about, oh, 11ish, I stopped reciting the Pledge of Allegiance (though I did stand respectfully). I've always been a bit of a rebel, and while I enjoy living in this country, I don't feel the country itself (nor its flag) should be subject to a pledge of allegiance engrained into children too young to understand what they're pledging. Perhaps I was just a dumb kid, but until then it was just a thing you mouthed out in a drone at the beginning of class - a ritual, not a solumn vow, as it should be.

Better no pledge at all until the full extent of what is being pledged is understood by those stating it, in my humble opinion.