1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

The quirkiness of some disallowed names....

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Victoria Navarre, Dec 25, 2010.

1. I wish the devs or whoever is in charge of deciding what name is acceptable especially when it comes to guild names would adjust the list. I went to make a crafter/merchant guild a few days ago with the same type name as you see in my siggy. I kept being told the guild name is unacceptable. It seems that using the word "association" is offensive to some. While others name their characters with such childish names that boggles the mind on how it got past the censors.

:coco: :coco: :coco: :coco: :coco:
  2. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

May 24, 2008
    Yes, I once wanted to make a guild that was a trade association, needless to say, that idea did no fly as a guild name, and I was quite annoyed.
  3. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Aug 21, 2000
    Trust me I know..... I get seriously disgusted by some of the names I see people running around with... or that they name their pets.... I'm like seriously???? and you don't get paged on or banned for that???

Oh and don't even get me started about some of the smeg I've seen people name their boats!

And we can't make folk a councilor of our guild or anything..... without doing plays on letters or misspelling... it.
  4. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    Long long ago when I got into UO I didn't take it seriously or think it be around for more then a couple years. So had little fun naming a couple characters. Many years later in lonely place in Ilsh grinding for hours ......... yanked to a prison cell for first time. Think cool the GM wants my advise. But no the GM started rotating in random NPCs and all he said was "I'll stop when you say , when." And like that Bohica Azwhoel had a new random NPC name. Was asked if any my other named characters may need a change. Told me UR Fubar was OK even after I had to explain to the GM what FUBAR was.

Couldn't name my nightmare Monbat Assassin.
  5. Adol

Adol Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Aug 28, 2003
    "Compassion" also gets blocked too, so one of my vendors named for the virtues had to resort to an umlaut instead ... it looks so ugly, damn it!
  6. Vandetta

Vandetta Guest

Had a char named "Donny the ******". Didn't last long. GM changed me to Kirt. LAME!
  7. hawkeye_pike

hawkeye_pike Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

May 15, 2008
    Last year I saw a player who chose the name "TheRapist". Funny thing is, this name is allowed, but the guild title "Assassin" isn't.
  8. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

Sep 18, 2003
    we had this very conversation in TS last night when i got one of those new swords, the Defiler.

i thought that was a pretty nasty name for a weapon.
    im sure if i picked that as a name in game id get a visit from a GM and a nice new random NPC name.

hey, can someone lend me that new katana, i want to go defile some pixi's.
    that just sounds wrong, hehe.
  9. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni BRPA

Oct 9, 2008

Not to mention all the profession titles (Bard. Alchemist. Blacksmith.) that cannot be used as a Guild Title.
  10. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Jul 16, 2003
    As an American, I find it especially ironic that "Constitution" is blocked by the profanity filter...

(My mule, named Daystrom after the creator of the M5 computer in Classic Star Trek, was attempting to name all his pack animals after Enterprise sister ships)
  11. chuckoatl

chuckoatl Guest

Buster Hymen, now buster :(
    Peter Dragon, now Necro Joe
    Hugh G Rection, now paul Little :(
    and the guild "One nut and the Longshanks" (Tag: P==D) now Longshanks Legonaires (Tag: LEGO)

This is just my toons from the accounts I have now. Cant remember my old names. Several have been changed through the years.
  12. Gowron

Gowron Guest

I had a char named Hugh Jorgan for a while, but decided to delete it after a week. It was only for a few laughs anyway...
  13. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Nov 17, 2009
    Deleted because of the next post. Althought my name did not breach the naming policy of UO when i made it, it does "breach the stratics RoC".....
  14. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Jan 5, 2001
    small point, dodging the profanity filter is a breach of RoC.
  15. Winker

Winker Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

May 14, 2008
    My Mining Guild "Deep Penetration Crew" (DPC) got me a 24 hour ban!