1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

The single fel theory

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Guest, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This is NOT a serious suggestion that I feel should actually go into the game but a thought that I think would make for interesting discussion.

Now that being said consider the following.

When you go through a moongate to fel instead of going to an instance of fel on YOUR shard you go to a new server that contains fel for ALL shards.

So you got a buddy on legends and a buddy on great lakes and one on sonoma. You message them and say hey meet me at brit bank fel. everyone goes into the gate on their respective shard and heads to brit bank fel to meet up.

All pvp for normal shards not under siege rules or whatever would be linked by the fel pvp server. The server keeps track of the shard your character originally came from and when you go back through the gate and head to tram malas or whatever it sends you back to your respective shard again.

Again this is nothing more than a neat idea. I could see this being abused all to hell in so many ways really but I still thing the idea of serious player interaction between shards such as this would be cool.

Possible abuse right away is obvious as I could say hey bob meet me in fel and hold this gold for me then I could jump on his shard and say ok bring it to the bank in tram lol. Thus moving items between shards because of the common link would become a problem the very moment this happened.

Other problems include the fact that the fel facet holds all of the old seer/gm placed rare locations and player homes and so on and so fourth.

I suppose you could create a new pvp facet just for the purpose of conjoining the shards in some way to avoid some of the problems but that only solves part of the issue.

But could you imagine what PVP particularly would be like if all the players on standard shards shared a single pvp facet.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

A new facet with fel rules would be better. One with numerous startegic areas with pre-placed castles and such to fight over control of. Make some outlying areas for placement.

I like the idea of a facet to link all the shards though. Only it has to be made so you can only return to the shard you came from otherwise it would be abused for xsharding. That would also mean no trades and no items could drop on corpses.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah like I said the biggest problem is abuse through items and so fourth. I still think the idea alone is cool though.

4. Setnaffa

Setnaffa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

It sounds great in theory, but the reason they have shards/servers spread out geographically is because of the connection latency. A single PvP shard would never be completely fair; just like Siege isn't now.

Regardless, it's not a half bad idea. It couldn't just be called "Feluuca" because people have houses on their respective Felucca shards. They'd have to give it some other dark and forbidding name like "The Abyss". Um...OK...that's being used, so maybe something like War or Apocalypse.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Not to mention all the housing issues that would arrise due to people having houses in the same spot on multiple shards, not just all the Seer Deco that exists.

~Rai

6. Guest

Guest Guest

WoW does something kind of along that line for their PvP Battlegrounds. There are battleground groups (probably organized by server geographic location & load but I'm not sure), and you sign up for battles from within your own realm - which is like a shard in UO - with an NPC, and when enough people are found to fill the BG, you are teleported to an instance and can end up with lots of people from other realms. I believe you are only allowed to trade conjured food & drink (which has a time duration on it) with each other, within the battleground instance. When the battle is over, everyone is teleported back within 2 minutes, to their own realm where they joined from. You really don't get to spend any time getting to know people that way of course, and the WoW realms have thousands upon thousands of people.

The battlegrounds are not that big either, certainly nothing approaching the map of Fel, and the objectives are predefined - when the objectives are met or time is up, you all get booted. What you are wanting is something with more freedom of interaction though, and "always there" not just an instance that tosses people together and goes *poof* after they leave. It sounds fun!

-Skylark

7. [​IMG] Sure ...
    put "it" on the west coast though ...

I get better ping there

East coast already has Siege ...

8. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I've suggested something similar before, and I'm a PvM type.

However, how it would work best is...

1. Make at a communal Felucca T2A ONLY. That way, you don't mess with the housing.

2. It would be communal only on server farm scale, not world-wide (1 east-coast, 1 west coast, 1 Europe, and one in the pacific rim nations for Oceania & Asian shards).

3. T2A would be redesigned into a MUCH larger, facet-sized, place with better placement of terrain and additional natural spawn. Perhaps, even new communities (with guard zones) growing up at the entrances that come in from Britain & Vesper. The number of champ spawn sites would be doubled.

4. Inns would no longer function in this super-T2A. However, one COULD use the region for doing item shard transfers between accounts (for that specific server farm only), if one is willing to put up the risk (trade from character at the bank, and placing the items into the bank). As the shards all have the same maintenance times at each specific server farm, this would be more secure AND reduce the chances for transfer-based item duping. Timing out in T2A sends the ghost back to Fel Britain on their home shard, thus eliminating logout-based ghost cams.

5. Guild tags will get an additional -"character" added to them, to distinguish home shards, for interaction. One can only join a guild or alliance from one's home shard.

6. Because of the increased risk and additional population of T2A that would result, to make things more fair for those that only risked Fel for the occasional personal Power Scroll, the Ilshenar, Tokuno & Malas champion spawns would be changed to drop 105s and 110s like the Fel spawns. This is no big loss, as already 99% of 105 & 110 scrolls are already being dropped on the ground at the site, or in Luna (magery about the only one not dropped).
    At the end of the non-Fel spawns there would be a 5% chance of dropping higher scrolls; if it occurs, it will be at least 24 hours until that spawn can drop completion scrolls again. With or without scrolls, they would also drop 6 Treasures of Tokuno minors (Tokuno spawn), or 6 stacks of 1-5 Peerless ingredients (Ilshenar & Malas) in the same manner as the scrolls. Justice would not work outside Fel, for obvious reasons, so it would be ONLY six scrolls. And, of course, the Fel guilds would retain the monopoly on Stat scrolls.

7. The Harrower would be changed to ONLY spawn in a T2A site. Harrowers then become a PvP free-for-all bringing in people from the entire server farm.

8. The only other thing I can think of as an issue is that one of the factions would have to move out of T2A, or risk being raided by 2-5 shards' opposing factions at once.

9. Would make it easier for the spy cam folks. Seems like a silly idea to me. I bet there are enough PK on each shard to do a good enough job of making life hard for anyone who goes to fel without folks having to deal with ALL the PK in UO.

10. about 80% of the fel population has quit due to stupid additions to the game that mess up pvp for a year+ until they get around to fix it.

11. <blockquote><hr>

It sounds great in theory, but the reason they have shards/servers spread out geographically is because of the connection latency. A single PvP shard would never be completely fair; just like Siege isn't now.

Regardless, it's not a half bad idea. It couldn't just be called "Feluuca" because people have houses on their respective Felucca shards. They'd have to give it some other dark and forbidding name like "The Abyss". Um...OK...that's being used, so maybe something like War or Apocalypse.

[/ QUOTE ]

The servers are not spread out geographically in the states. Well aside from a East coast house and a west coast house for all the US servers. So in the states we could have every EC shard linked to one facet server and every WC shard linked to a WC facet server.

12. Ouch ! kind of a trade off, for getting better pings ...

Each "cluster" creates an "open" door ... between shards on cluster ...
    [​IMG]
    no need to "consolidate" ... via transfers ... large packages for a single cluster transfer.

Sure ... they'd need to "run it thru" a combat area ...

Hmmm ... instead of a no ...

How about ... since your "not housing" there ... going full on PvP only ... ie ... no scrolls, no gp need be banked or carried ...
    nor any other items [​IMG] buy any regs there ... bandies and pots would be a "carry in" option ... turn the Kills/Deaths tracker on ...
    Insurance mandatory ... no "surrenduring of arties or gear"

PvP based ... no "merchant" class ... get all busted up [​IMG] time for a trip to the rear (home) ... get all patched up ...
    tell your war stories ... recruit some "for the cause"

erk ... cause ... well [​IMG] the pro's (heh!) don't appear to need any more than "cause its there" ...
    For others desireing "more" (ie. more than displayed K/D score) there could be titles ...from "ladder style" competition ... Factions ranks and reputations ..
    the skuldugery and machinations "of leadership" are a game unto themselves ... The "struggle" for "team dominance" of area's or entire shard ... could provide several "mid games" and "end games" (some one wins it all and get a battle of '08 ribbon).

Leave EA to deal with the "commerce" of shard transfers ... relationships found on the "single shard" would still be free to transfer/create as is ...
    I mean ... IF its all about PvP .. set it up so ... leave the "commerce, as is ... on individual shards ..."

13. Here is a suggestion, take away the guard zone at all the Fel Moongates

14. I think, basically this would be a great thing. It would allow cross-shard guild wars and competitions and a lot of cool interaction. However, I do not see a possibility to prevent abuse.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Here is a suggestion, take away the guard zone at all the Fel Moongates

[/ QUOTE ]

Best suggestionn ive seen on this whole thread.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

I like the idea but I agree it could be easily abused. The WoW model worked well in that game. I spent hours in AV and enjoyed it because I could chose to focus more on pvp or pve depending on my mood. Of course, this isn't WoW and THANK GOODNESS for that! Besides, even their concept wasn't perfect and anyone who glared at 15 orcs standing in one spot hopping once every minute can attest. Still, afk honor macro'ers aside, it was loads of fun and while I loosely base my ideas on that, I would love to see UO do something along those lines, but very "UO'ish."

In our game we have test centers which can be a lot like that idea. The problem is that test centers also have the unlimited resources and instant skill set so there is no idea of working towards your character. I'd like to see my girls who I've spent years developing be able to do something like this as themselves.

What if this server was a server of its own that resets once a month. Each person on their home shard can select a single character and like factions, take that character to a stone in Fel Brit to sign them up for the server. Their character would then be copied EXACTLY to include all they have on their bodies, in their banks and stables just like a character transfer, but instead of being transfered, a duplicate of themselves is recreated on that server. It would however be important to disallow soul stones.

Each month the campaigns would change on the server. Players would be assigned a team and goals to be met. Resource gatherers and crafters would be able to strengthen their teams by meeting certain collection goals to give a buff. PvM'ers would be in charge of finding items on creature bodies for recipes. Pvp'ers would battle for control of key locations and to protect their non pvp teammates. At the end of the month, points would be issued to the accounts based on involvement which could be turned in for rewards in their home shards. The mirrored characters would be deleted and a new server would be born.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

- Doomsday Dragon - When you go through a moongate to fel instead of going to an instance of fel on YOUR shard you go to a new server that contains fel for ALL shards.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about players who live in Felucca and reds how would they get there?

What about items, checks and rares trading in Felucca as free shard transfer?

<blockquote><hr>

- phantus - I like the idea of a facet to link all the shards though. Only it has to be made so you can only return to the shard you came from otherwise it would be abused for xsharding. That would also mean no trades and no items could drop on corpses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh a trammelised Felucca facet [​IMG]?
    I think it should be pure Felucca rules without item insurance and instance corpes

<blockquote><hr>

- Bonami - What if this server was a server of its own that resets once a month. Each person on their home shard can select a single character and like factions, take that character to a stone in Fel Brit to sign them up for the server. Their character would then be copied EXACTLY to include all they have on their bodies, in their banks and stables just like a character transfer, but instead of being transfered, a duplicate of themselves is recreated on that server. It would however be important to disallow soul stones.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will sure prevent alot of abuse when it is a copy instead of a transfer.

I do believe it would be alot more fun if players only could bring one suit, one weapon, x of each resources, one pet and so on.
    This way team work would be needed. Create a new map, with a open place place for houses for each shard.

Now the shard teams can start building their town. I think it should be Felucca rules without blessing and item insurance.
    It would be hard, and some towns would be raided more than others. The towns would need all playstyles, PvP, PvM'er and crafters to survive and to get houses with resources to replace items lost to enemies.

I like the idea of reset the server once a month. It will allow a shard team to try to do better next month if they get beated down one month.

Maybe we really need 2 of this servers, one hardcore and one soft PvP.

On the Hardcore server, the rules will be no item insurance, no blessing, no instance corpes, no stupid rules that stop you from healing/ressing your enemy, no insta loot. Other limits may be needed.

On the Soft server, the rules will be, every item on your paperdoll will stay on your body and the ones with looting right have to wait 2 mins to loot your body so you can call for help.
    I'm not sure about the rules on the soft server as it never would be my choice.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

I think, basically this would be a great thing. It would allow cross-shard guild wars and competitions and a lot of cool interaction. However, I do not see a possibility to prevent abuse.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just it but the idea is still cool to ponder about. Pretty much all I was really doing was bringing about an interesting subject to blab about. Not exactly something that would be possible though.