1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

The switch to Enhanced Client.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Gary Rendol, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Gary Rendol

Gary Rendol Guest

I posted this for Grimm but whial everything broke, might as well bring it here. I've been looking and many post reguarding reasons most people wont switch from CC to EC. The main reason seems to be slight interface problems, crashes, small bugs, and art. It seems most CC users would like the EC if it matched the art of CC (not 2d but same art type on paperdoll as in item looks in backpack) and zoom scale issues, had the same backpack interface as CC because the EC one is a bit glitchy in legacy mode, and cleaned up the bugs/crashes. I was wondering if anyone else agreed? I will say my eyes dont get bothered as much in EC now but theres seems to be just a few things that can make a huge difference. Without any crazy demands or nit picking, would this make you switch if your a CC user only?

2. Kravick

Kravick Guest

The only reason I don't switch is simply because I can't login using the EC. I'd love to give the EC a go. All the videos I've seen of it on Youtube make me WANT to use it. Unfortunately, the client just hangs at the login screen and nothing happens. Extensive troubleshooting has done absolutely nothing to fix the issue.

3. Speranza

Speranza Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I'm actually really enjoying the EC. I just came back after a few years break and really enjoy the grid backpacks (Please don't hate me!) but I do miss things like some of the old stacked item graphics for sure.

I guess I still like the CC for the nostalgic value but the Quality of Life upgrades (hotbars, easier to move stacked items, zoom, chat window) really helped me get back into playing the game again. Granted I still have the CC around for house customization as well as when I need just a small window open for Make Max crafting and Reddit :wall:

4. Madrid

Madrid Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

In a nutshell that's really what the EC is....the CC with an enhanced GUI. Both clients look so bad I can't begin to tell you. Why CC Jurassics won't convert to the EC which is the CC client all over again just proves the reality that no matter what client is put forth there will always be those who are unwilling to change regardless. I don't mean to stir the pot but I have to laugh at these threads because the two clients are essentially the same looking as far as graphics goes both of which are piss poor and are never going to draw in new players.

I wish KR was am option or there was some other kind of option that what we have right now with the EC and CC. Something sorely needs to be done to make this game look half way decent.

Arrgh likes this.
  5. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

If you haven't yet tried it, I can recommend Pinco's UI. With that it's possible to have a backpack that looks like a backpack, with grid slots, but no actual grid. Best of both worlds IMO :D

It's also possible to re-size gumps individually, something I use a lot.

6. pumpkin_escobar

pumpkin_escobar Journeyman

EC only for me, I dread the old days of squinting to find stuff in my pack.
    And picos is the way to go.
    Taming is a breeze.
    Zooming in and out of windows, I couldn't live without it.

7. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

EC + Pinco UI = "Living the UO dream".

8. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

<sighs> New and improved EC, yeah, right.

While the graphics are in the style of the CC graphics, they are not as good.

It is also a shoddy User Interface. If I had tried out UO in 2000 and found the EC as the UI, I'd have uninstalled the game and tossed the cd in the junk box with the other bad games that didn't live up to their advertising and wrote it off as a waste of money and been wary of EA games afterwards.

All the good content won't give a game a good reputation if the UI it has is trash. With the EC in place of the CC in UO's early days, UO would have fizzled and been shutdown.

Whoever made the CC back when UO was writen knew what he was doing. I think the EC was just a throw-together to get someone's rump out of a sling with their boss. It's certainly not up to the CC's quality.

Raptor85 and Sauteed Onion like this.
  9. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

I use the old style backpacks as well.. though I do use a grid. And with my old eyes the resizable gumps and zoom feature makes the game much more enjoyable.
    In my opinion EC + Pinco's is quite a bit more usable than the CC.

10. Felonious Monk

Stratics Veteran

The players are being allowed to bring in creativity corporate EA will not. This alone lifts me above a vain hope that the game isn't worth paying for anymore.
    It's painfully slow. Most of us remaining players seem so passionate wont stop tearing this thing apart.
    As I've stated in another thread I think the fact that Mesanna has been named producer will give corporate EA something they've lacked for years. A clue.
    Will they listen to her and offer just a few more pennies for us? No idea......
    Now to stay on point. I just updated Pinco's UI and I love it as I have for years. I love the targeting system. Some art files have been polished. The volunteer services of players have been infused and in my opinion out create cc for my game style. The macro system allows me to do what I need to. The EC is highly customizable.
    The biggest reason I quit CC is its age and its need for support programs. The EC isn't perfect ans will continue to be flamed by many. In my opinion players like Dermott and Pinco will continue to out create EA in a fashion that suits me quite well. These are my experiences and opinions no need to start a flame war.
    Namaste.....

11. Raptor85

Raptor85 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Reasons I use the CC over EC currently

1. Targeting is broken on the EC, even classic targeting does not work like CC where you can persist target while attacking/defending, I use this A LOT so it's a killer feature for me
    2. Severe lag especially in areas with lots of housing. It doesn't seem to be graphics lag either, and my computer is no weakling, I can play other games even with the same engine and everything set to max with 0 lag just fine
    3. Random crashes - random crash every 1-2 hours of gameplay, seems to prefer to happen while in pvp or fighting something that can easily kill me
    4. extremely poor creature and item art, much of which I'm not sure why was changed, pets especially look bad
    5. broken paperdoll/clothing art
    6. broken house customization
    7. completely lack of proper graphics filtering when scaling things up which makes everything look grainy and blurry on a large screen, i'll take pixelated like the CC over blurry and hard to make out what's what any day.
    8. poor/confusing UI system. Especially with macros it's quite a bit easier ot make them in the CC and import to the EC for more complicated ones or if you use a lot of selecting/targeting/etc..

12. Felonious Monk

Stratics Veteran

Some day I may understand why I don't experience most of what you list.
    Good post.

13. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

Yeah except for an occasional #3.. and that's almost always on the older living room computer or my laptop.
    So with that exception I don't have any of those other issues with the EC either.

14. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

If you don't like the UI, then pitch in and help make a new skin for it - look at what Pinco and others have done, Pinco has posted the template files, you can make the UI look like what you want. Pinco may not be playing anymore, but he still left some amaizng work.

You could even make the UI resemble the CC in quite a few ways, and if somebody would put the time in, they could make the EC resemble the CC a lot more, minus the paperdolls.

The EC is there for a reason - newer gamers expect a UI that can be heavily customized and that can scale to monitors bigger than 1024x768 or 1280x800. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the in-game graphics to be updated to a high resolution.

Most MMORPGs do not ship without a customizable interface these days.

15. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

^^^^^ My exact same issue...
    :mad:

16. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

can you compare system specs and see if there is a common denominator?

17. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I'll say this without Pinco's I couldn't play the EC. But with Pinco's I WON'T play the CC.

The only time I am "forced" to use the CC is in times of house customization because sadly the EC will not work for making broken stairs. It FAILS at roof's more often than not... and often it won't show you something that is a blocked orange tile in house design... And sometimes it "blocks" tiles that shouldn't be blocked.

Now if they fixed stairs so that instead of just being one "solid" object they were more like roofs with different levels 1 to 5 then we could actually make stages and all manner of other items using stairs. Awesome floating shelves... bridges that are super cool... and many other things..... I keep hoping for that change to come to housing. That and a return to the KR housing menu for friends, guildmates and co-owners and adding another setting for "alliance".

Felonious Monk likes this.
  18. NBG

NBG Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I use CC and EC depending on what I am doing.

To be honest, EC's main edge is the UI. I am still waiting on the rest of graphic updates that was promised for EC. I like what I see in the graphic updates so far but Monster\NPC\Player graphic update needs to happen. I wish EC has the follow function like in CC and EC needs to separate Macro actions from user input actions (can't do anything else when macro's running).

Here are some valid reason for using CC
    1. some people are still using really old systems that just can not handle EC
    2. EC has lag issues in certain situations that needs to be resolved
    3. EC takes more up more processing power (running multiple clients)
    4. EC has some memory issues
    5. EC definitely crash more often (can't really handle some EM Events)
    6. CC with UOA can run macros and perform other player action at the same time
    7. Easier to have a overhead text conversation than EC (EC overhead font and text alignment is poop)
    8. Easier to notice GM responses in CC (EC's fix does not really work.....)

Here are some reason for using EC
    1. Easy to expand UI since it can be customized
    2. Faster dress\arm built in macros
    3. Macros can run a lot longer than UOA
    4. Easy Macro setup compare to UOA
    5. You can run faster in EC
    6. Really good for boring tasks due to UI organization
    - Mining, Fishing, Crafting ect.
    7. EC offers large play area display