1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

The Virtue System in UO

Discussion in 'UO Developer Feed' started by Kyronix, May 19, 2015.

1. Kyronix

Kyronix UO Designer
    VIP

Thank you very much for the feedback about the state of some of the Virtues. I'm not going to get into many specifics here, but if you'd like to be involved in the early testing of some of the new Virtue systems, feel free to join the focus group, where we'll be giving early access to them.

At this point in the cycle we also won't be revisiting any of the existing virtues. I understand some may have lost their relevance since their original introduction, but there simply isn't time at this point. That doesn't mean we won't take your feedback into consideration when the schedule permits such a revisit. We also are still "concepting" what happens when you Knight in every Virtue. When we implement that, it may be a good time to revisit some of the issues you've pointed out with the existing Virtues. Not promising anything, just giving some context how various features make it into the publish schedule.

As far as your feedback on the existing Virtues, I wasn't on the team when the Virtuebane event was done so I can't say what the impetus was behind the decision for the pie. I did have an interesting conversation with more than a couple people at the 15th Anniversary Party some years ago who did the Honesty content to take advantage of reduced vendor prices, something they especially enjoyed.

I think sometimes people are quick to think that their immediate circle of friends, playmates or forum buddies represent the pervasiveness of a feature game wide. The fact of the matter is that all of us are just a small part of a much larger community, that despite reports to the contrary, is as vibrant as ever. That being said, making existing content more attractive with small tweaks is something that is an easy win for us, and is only easier with excellent feedback like you've provided.

I also think that we are sometimes too quick to call something a grind. Finding a balance between replay ability and reducing the "grindy feel" is an extraordinarily challenging task. UO is an MMO after all, a virtual world in which you live. Take Honor for example, I don't think it's fair to call the method of gain for Honor a "grind" when at it's really just an added step during normal combat, with a movement restriction. I can see the concerns with Archers/Mages, but they also get the benefit of kiting mobs where as melee classes do not. Repeating the same task in order to maximize the reward of course is going to get boring and give that "grindy" feel, there is, however, only so much we can do to make it fee varied. Keeping that variety within playtime is just as much up to the player as the design itself.

Thanks again for the feedback!