1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

The worst part about being a UO vet.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by morPR, Mar 31, 2015.

1. morPR

morPR PRmeister
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I guess I'll never know the answer to this one. I'm quite naive about lotsa stuff. and just wander aimlessly from New Haven to WBB to Luna..

I think of the huge crowds that WBB used to bring and the small contingents that are crowded in Luna bank don't hold a candle to that.

Uriah Heep likes this.
  2. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Worst part? Nostalgia

Any of us that have been around UO for years have found a point in it's development when it hit what for us was the "Goldie Locks" zone. Not too hot, not to cold, just right. Because of this changes over the years have caused us to view the game as a shadow of what it was and can be.

The truth tough, MMORPGs have to adapt over time, they have to evolve to keep the game fresh, and interesting. How long do you think many of us would have been able to continue playing after say Publish 5 (UO:R) if nothing had changed? Look at how fast content is consumed and honestly tell me you could play the next 15 years and not eventually get to a point where you feel there is nothing "Fresh" to experience.

At the same time you hear a lot of people saying they wish the game would revert or open a new server to a point prior this point, which is when Trammel was opening. That was the "Goldie Locks" zone for those individuals. For me it was Publish 15 right as UO:LBR was launching. We had Trammel, Feluca, T2A, and Ilshenar to explore, and many of the features we rely on in game such as bank checks, power scrolls etc.

3. WootSauce

WootSauce Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

As a mod, how do you gauge where to insert your opinion or observation? Genuinely curious here, on most boards mods are held to a non- opinionated standard. at least to the general public.

I guess on a board where there are basically a dozen active threads on the general public board in the last 24 hours, your opinion is needed.

4. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Well it's difficult, we rely on each other to police ourselves. And usually at least for myself, I try to only contribute real opinion with careful thought. It is an opinion as I posted above, but it's one that I feel to be true. If it provokes positive thought and development of a conversation then I gauge it worth adding to the conversation.

Another thing to consider is everyone at Stratics is a volunteer, none of us are paid. We're members of the community who have dedicated a portion of our free time to helping oversee and improve the quality experience here on the boards. While we're staff, here, we still are all passionate players of the Game.

Obsidian and Olahorand like this.
  5. WootSauce

WootSauce Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Good luck and godspeed. You will need both. I enjoy this board, but mods posting in this way is a death sentence IMO.

6. Giggles

Giggles Forum Administrator
    Administrator Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Campaign Supporter The Squirrel Empire

Mods and staff in general have interacted with posts and other players for years on stratics. We volunteer our time to support stratics, but doing so doesn't void us of our personalities, passions, and opinions. Expecting a mod or staff to just look pretty and lock posts as needed is a little ridiculous in MY opinion. I'm not sure what was in his post that rubbed you the wrong way. Hes posting as a player with an opinion. I'm not sure what the fuss is about.
    :eyes:

Olahorand likes this.
  7. WootSauce

WootSauce Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

This thread is 6 posts deep. 3 of those posts are from moderators. I will do this same count for the top ten threads in Uhall to illustrate my point.

8. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

Your point is that there is a very active staff here. We are passionate about the game and the community. Shows participation and involvement.

Yeah, periodically someone has to come along and shut Nexus back into his little box, or put the mittens on Giggles, or tell Kirthag to stfu.

@WootSauce - we do our best here. All "staffers" on Stratics are gamers and we do have our own opinions. For the most part, we just keep them to ourselves. *bats Nexus* There is no rule on any form that Moderators and Admins cannot participate as everyone else on a board.

What matters is all of us, board users and staffers alike, have a passion for the game. :)

BACK to topic...

What I really miss, being a UO-vet as well, is being able to help miners in Fel... *sigh* Protecting miners was the highlight of my week, and sometimes I'd get armor or a new katana out of it.

Now, my own miner goes all over Fel... and its just so... lonely.....

drcossack, Olahorand, Philly and 2 others like this.
  9. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni K^S

10. Giggles

Giggles Forum Administrator
    Administrator Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Campaign Supporter The Squirrel Empire

The worst part about being a UO vet for me is boredom. PVP keeps me entertained most days, but some days I need to come to stratics and become a chatty cathy for a while. Then back to pvp I go!
    I have pretty much done it all, farmed it all, seen it all. PVP is really the only thing that isn't routine. It changes and keeps you guessing. I wish I could relive the "newness" of the game again.

Olahorand and Spiritless like this.
  11. WootSauce

WootSauce Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

How many staff participants in this thread vs users? You go guys!

12. Nyses

Nyses Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I don't see a problem, other than too few people in general on stratics posting. If the mods want to post, who cares they play UO too. I have read stratics for years, never been a problem with mods posting. If someone has a real problem with a mod, there is a chain of command, meaning there is someone you take your issue up with, if it is a real issue and not contrived.

13. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

Ohhhh wait I feel left out! :cheerleader:

Though I really wouldn't consider myself a *vet*....I've only been playing for 10 years.

I'd have to say the worst part about being a *vet* is the lack of new players to help...though I do enjoy helping x-sharders get started if they need it. :)

14. WootSauce

WootSauce Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

+1 staffer!

15. azmodanb

azmodanb Grand Poobah

16. It Lives

It Lives Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Knowing my anniversary down to the day and hour I will receive my vet rewards yet knowing I am still a year away from my desired reward:}

Odin of LS likes this.
  17. Athelas

Athelas Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Personally I have always found helping animals in game and out very rewarding. :)

Captn Norrington and Scribbles like this.
  18. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

Make that +2

:pirate:

On topic though, I miss my old friends. People move on, people find new games to play and one day you realize nobody you used to play with 5 years ago is left. There are always new friends of course, but you still miss the original friends, and hope they decide to come back one day.

19. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I miss the people. Old friends... large RP guilds interacting... Now the RP is hit and miss... few scattered players here and there... No one hanging around Skara Bank... etc...

As for the rest of the nostalgia... I can say that had UO:R not happened and they kept the kill or be killed of the original lands... open combat PvP, thieving etc... I can say with a certain degree of certainty that I would have tried UO for 1 month and then said the same thing my brother did... and I imagine I'd be playing EQ and WoW now instead of UO.

Now granted I do play Landmark but that's because it's more of a sandbox like UO than a leveler like WoW. But I can safely say that I certainly would have quit within a month of starting.

Instead UO:R is what I bought.... I have enjoyed every moment of it for the last 14+ years. I am hoping to continue to enjoy it for another 10 years or more.

Olahorand likes this.
  20. Philly

Philly Journeyman
    The Valorian Knights

As a 17 year vet I miss mining all day and crafting armour all night for the pvper's that would get pked, get looted and resell my armour LOL. That was on Baja as Sugar. These days Im Opalala on ATL grinding out filled runebooks for all those coming together on the last active shard.

DJAd, Kirthag and Captn Norrington like this.
  21. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Worst things for a UO Veteran is the ever decreasing player base and EA's slow and painful destruction of the game. But I guess the second one is causing the first and will continue to do so until it drops so low they pull the plug.

Uriah Heep and DJAd like this.
  22. Angel of Sonoma

Angel of Sonoma Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Ditto. Remembering the game prior to Trammel and AOS. There were always tons of players banksitting at WBB, Moonglow, and Vesper.

Uriah Heep likes this.
  23. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I believe we need more moderator/admin activity. There are shard forums and trade forum that are dead or worse filled with nothing but this latest fad which is a hybrid combination of 80's game shows and UO. I call it Reality TV UO crap!!!.
    I want moderators that ask controversial questions, express controversial opinions and stimulate discussion.
    I want to discuss with people who are passionate about PVP and or PVM...not those passionate about "the Price is right". If that means fewer posts and great substance...perfect! I want staff that stimulate and initiate not quietly hide in the corner. Intelligent, passionate debates do more readership and membership than anything else. Mods are passionate about their love of UO...so much so they volunteer here!

24. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Not sure just who thought it would help the game to create a town as small as Luna, cram all the NPCs into a two screen area, and then surround that with wall and paved streets for public housing. The next town they destroy should be Luna, and everything within the outer wall. Then use that space for rewards halls, memorial halls, etc etc, all overseen by the shard's EM. This would at least put some players back out in the world and make it at least appear a bit more used.

25. TimberWolf

Stratics Veteran Alumni

ROFLMAO and the people who have spent Hundreds of dollars to secure a vendor house inside the walls of Luna?? They should just have their property taken away from them? No I am sorry that isnt the way to go!...but a luna invasion might be fun....it is after all the city of Paladins! they should be able to fight off an invasions...could make restocking vendors fun too! LOL

26. The Craftsman

Stratics Veteran

I concur. Luna is a blot on the landscape.

27. morPR

morPR PRmeister

One day I walked past an npc paladin and it said "welcome to the shopping mall."

Tamais likes this.
  28. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Trouble with that is Stratics fired/banned or drove off most the good imaginative writers and story tellers long ago. At least for GL's. I miss many of them...

29. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

I don't see the concern over moderators posting. I want to hear all the opinions and perspectives. Keep em coming.

Modoc, Obsidian and Captn Norrington like this.
  30. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

You won UO. :) Now there is one on Stratics that will argue that you can't win UO but you did :thumbup:

Now once you win the Internet then I will share my title with you :thumbsup:

Modoc and Giggles like this.
  31. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor

Pretty sure the person or persons that did AoS are all gone now except Mesanna. The one in charge of AoS development should of been charged with a crime of violating UO or something of those lines.

Uriah Heep likes this.
  32. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Sunsword, wasn't it? yeah he should be sitting in Yew prison for a life sentence...at the very least an effigy of him!

33. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor

Yup! That's the guy.

34. Aedon Durreah

Aedon Durreah Village of Aegis
    Stratics Veteran

I miss a lot from the old days, I even at times miss my small tower near the dessert of compassion. It had hot and cold running scorps and the occasional red, but it was home. Moving to Trammel when it opened was a big step for me, but I was getting more into the idea of RP, and enjoyed doing so without having to constantly fight, or run for my life.

Mostly though, I miss the people. The days when Skara was alive with people RPing, when plotlines seemed to flow easily, and you did not need to wonder if anyone was out there looking to RP. I miss the old guilds of Catskills, Celts, Black Rose, Arcane Steel, Knights of Yew and so many more I cannot like them all. I miss the excitement I felt each night as I logged in and set out in search of a nights fun and adventure. I cannot miss Timberwolf because he is still here, but I do miss his old rune library.

TimberWolf likes this.
  35. SexySosarian

SexySosarian Visitor

People have been posting that UO has been on a death sentence since 2000 in the original (RIP) UO Forums.

Sure, the game has been dying... but its a long, long lingering death. So just ride the train while you can.

azmodanb likes this.
  36. Serafi

Serafi Babbling Loonie

Playing so long, and sometimes just paying but not playing - I miss the people. When you play for so long you move between groups and guilds and interests and whatnot. And even when the same people might still be playing, it will not be the same - since the situation has changed.

37. Acid Rain

Acid Rain Lore Keeper

One of the worst parts about being a +17 yr UO Vet ?

Listening to everyone ***** & moan about rewards you got cause your account never went unpaid and never got banned for cheats (2 things that happen to MANY of the old player accounts). Also, having to listen to and debate folks that want everything vets have... they want it last month and outnumber most of the vets on these boards.

38. The Craftsman

Stratics Veteran

Define 'Vet'

39. Kael

Kael Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Nostalgia...it's the worst part of being a vet lol

Remembering how things once were (least how you THINK things were) and how the game has changed. Lost friends, enemies and more simplier times. Hell I miss old Haven bank days even...what a great community there with no one having a home and just living out of the bank.

40. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

As I get older I seem to get busier and busier. I miss the days all shards were packed, but I am glad UO in its current form is still there so when I have time I can immerse myself into Sossaria. There are still many things I have not done. Maybe this week I will tackle my first trade quest or go after Paroxymous since I haven't seen him in years.

Acid Rain and Rhiannon like this.
  41. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Sage
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I think this is the key. I kind of think of it as the "sweet spot". Or "just right" as you call it. And that just right was different for everyone who still plays either periodically or non-stop.

I've had many just right periods in my 17 years. When one went away, I had to find something else to stir my passion. And I've done that off and on for 17 years. Perhaps that's one reason the servers are still on.

42. TimberWolf

Stratics Veteran Alumni

what I miss the most...is the anti macro code they removed in about 2008-2009. It made some hard skills incredibly easy to train and took a lot of the challenge from the game. On Cat's my old Brit Beach Lockpick/Rune Library was a beehive for treasure hunters and Rogues of every type. Having hundreds of locked boxes of each skill type was the reason for the tower, then my friends and I just kept adding to it. Rune books of every spawning chest in the game. Every map location,.. every steal-able item. I get sad when I think of the changes that were made that for me at least...took something away from the game!

43. drcossack

drcossack Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Yup. Same here. I'll take a break to sit @ Luna, watch TV, go on here/Twitter/wherever, etc, then it's back to pvp. PvM (in VERY small doses) isn't bad, but unless there's a chance of pvp, I hate doing it.

Yup. For me, it was 10 years. Some guys are still around, others are on chars that weren't around back then/on names I don't recognize (I remember A LOT of names from when it was active. Some more fondly than others ;)), and some have come back, but so many are long gone. That said, it's nice getting to know new people as well.

Captn Norrington and Kirthag like this.