1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

There is a scammer amongst us...

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by TheScoundrelRico, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

...might I mention...an unnamed scammer.

Please be advised. I have seen the shard pull together in the past to help rid ourselves of these players. It has been rather easy in the past, not sure how well it would work today. In the past, word got out as to who the scameer was, and they were pretty much put on every player's KoS or S0S (steal on sight) list. Anytime you see this player either take them out, or call in reinforcements to kill or steal from their character.

Also, it was made pretty clear to everyone that any guild that brought the scammer into their ranks would also be deemed unworthy of playing the shard. Sure, this may seem like crazy steps to take, but at the same time, our shard over the last 7 years has pretty much been able to police itself (or at least during the times in which I was active). Again, I think it's important to keep this person's name off the boards, but at the same time, word in game seems to travel much faster, so let's keep the direct implication of this player off the boards to stay within the RoC.

I understand there are also a lot of players that do not or cannot kill other players, that's fine. One way you can help...ignore th player in game, do not trade or make transactions with or for the person. Siege is a small shard, if most of the players try to follow these simple things...a player can be brought to a point where they either repay the player they scammed, or may even just leave the shard altogether. I have seen it work both ways. Hopefully, the majority of you can agree to this to help the shard and to help a fellow player who does a lot for the shard.

That is all...la

2. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I missed the who...PM me please.

3. kahlia

kahlia Guest

It is the usual who...

4. TheScoundrelRico

Due to my recent shielding, I would prefer to not PM anyone the name of the unnamed scammer. There are enough players that know who I am talking about that can PM folks, the background information. If you are unaware of the situation...ask for someone to PM you the info as Vortex has, and I hope the other shard members will forward your the information...or, I usually play at night and can be located near one of the many town banks. I'll gladly pass this information, in game...la

5. Goron

Goron Guest

wait, are you trying to suggest I should NOT let known scammers try my uber items on? How does that make any sense at all? That's just silly talk.

6. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Ah, question answered. I thought maybe there was a new one.

7. TheScoundrelRico

Yeah, how awful for someone to trust another player. Would I have just handed the item over to them? Nope, wouldn't have happend, but at the same time, if another player does fall for the scam, is it right to just sit back and blame the scammy (yes, I just made that word up) and not try to get retrobution on the scammer?

Personally, I love the fact that the shard in the past has had enough integrity to support our own and to also police our own. Maybe you haven't played here long enough to remember the times scammers have tried moving to the shard. it was pretty funny. The last time was right after we got our personal bless deads. I like to think I was one of the primary reasons he left. For some reason, he thought if a weapon was personally blessed the weapon was safe, even if he had it on an alternate account. I showed him otherwise...a quick disarm/steal last item, and I was brandishing his blessed weapon. Shortly there after I issued a deal...give back the money he had scammed from one of our regular players (not sure who that was...bad memory for names) or I would throw the weapon with his bless deed into the trash. He proceeded to call GM after GM to try and get the bless deed back. They told him no. He then thought it would be a good idea to call me out as a cheater over on Battle Vortex, lol. I logged in that night and promptly dropped his weapon and deed into the trash. Not that I recall the scammers name, but nobody saw him after that little exchange...at least with that character.

Scammers can be dealt with, and personally...I find it fun...la

8. enigma eb2

enigma eb2 Sage
    Stratics Veteran

If this scammer is the same person who ALWAYS scams with the "Can I try it on" scam, well then frankly good for him. Anyone who has enough gold to get something with enough value for this person to "Try On" should know better by now. For instance Inquis at 15 mil. If you can get 15 mil together your not a newb and have been round long enough to have heard of this guy. Without knowing details I am going to assume you are not in a guild with him ( he has never scammed a guildmate), so why did you trust him to HOLD your items? I say its the scammie's fault for being brain dead.

9. Ya if its the "can i try that on scam" thats hislarious and more power to him/her

10. And scoundral cmon now a thief poking at a person who did pretty much the same thing... Kettle pot black.....

11. Goron

Goron Guest

that sums it up pretty well...
    I stopped feeling bad for this person's (veteran) victims long ago.
    At this point you should know better.
    I am blaming the scammer and the scam victim. If I walk up to you and ask you to shoot, me- and you do it, its both our faults.

People that have been on this shard as long as the most recent victim KNOW of the scammer's past. I have no doubt about it. If it was a new person, I'd feel badly for them, even if it was a long time player, but just never used stratics, I'd feel badly... But quite honestly, I hardly feel a twinge of remorse for this last victim. Sure, it sucks- but I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

12. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

*points to sig*

13. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

i dont even know what happened but Id like to stir it up :stir:

14. TheScoundrelRico

This isn't about the person who was scammed. To me, that's like blaming a crime victim for getting criminalized...not cool.

It's about the person who continues to at least try the same scam on our shard. Let's just hope you aren't the next person they scam...one way or another, it could happen.If you are comfortable playing with this person, fine, that is your call. This post is more for the people who actually do care about who plays on the shard...la

15. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Rico there are alot of people comfortale playing with me (hahah get it!)... Im sorry you returned to the server and think your going to make some huge impact on my gameplay by trying to get me black balled.... its like anywhere in the world... MONEY TALKS.... Ive been 100x more hated and still had no problem selling/trading/buying things.... The fact of the matter is, its a supply and demand business and most people dont care where they get their items from. If they are in need of it they 9x out of 10 will buy it...Reguardless if its someone they didnt originally intend on dealing with.

Sorry that my signature isnt clear enough for anyone and that people still havnt figured out after about 10 sets of inquis to not hand me a pair... and... "Lemme try those on" I mean cmon....

16. TheScoundrelRico

LOL if you think I "hate" you. That would actually mean that I care about you. Play as you wish, and I'll do the same...la

17. Idico

Idico Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Well, I think I know of which scammer we are talking of. He/She recently tried to get into our guild. There was much conversation about his acceptance. I was 100% against it and voiced my opinion. Not because this person can't be cool or a good PVPer, but because his/her history and morals. This said person stated that he/she had turned over a new leaf. Ya, and we believed that about as much as he/she did when they said it, lol. Anyway, the end resulted as NO to the person in our guild. This was the ONLY decision that made sense and our leadership made it. PERFECT.

Now, this person resumed their ways after they were denied entrance. I do not feel sorry for the vets, but apparently, this person has a way of making people feel that he/she would NEVER scam them (just others). Who do I blame? BOTH, but always the scammer first. Will I ever do a deal with said person? NOPE and have not for YEARS. Their gold is worth ZERO to me. PERIOD.

I also think the SHARD should unite against scammers of this sort. While not all players will learn, many have and should address this shard wide. I got nothing personal against this guy/gal, but I know the type and will not deal with them. They think they are cool or funny, but do nothing but injure our shard.

Lastly, I have said and done some things to a few players in KOC that I regreat in a way (Elmer), but I do value the fact that even they see the problem with adding this type of person to their ranks.

This person should see their options are smaller and smaller as time goes on. This person does not change, but others who know him/her have slowly come to their senses!

Oh, and I have never understood the player who thinks it is fun to scam in UO. This game has past its RL money making days. Many of us play to be around our guildies. If it were not for my friends in TNT, I would have dumped this game long ago.

Just my opinion.

Idico

18. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Ok will do Rico thanks though, You must care a little bit if you made all these posts... But thanks for showing how crediable your words are.

Were you implying you do or dont care about me?

Post as you wish and Ill do the same. :stir:

19. Pestilence Hemp

Pestilence Hemp Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Ill say this for puffy, i sold him a hammer he didnt drop all the checks into the window, and i prematurely clicked except. he still handed me the rest of the checks. I just wouldnt hand him an artie.....

20. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Rico, there is something I don't get.

It would be ok for a thief to steal an arti from a chars backpack, but it's not ok to trick an arti from a player with saying "Can I try this on?"

That do not make sense to me.

I think it's easier to protect yourself against the "Can I try this on?" trick than against a thief snooping and stealing from you.

Both ways to get an artifact is ok vs the game rules, non of them are banable.

It's not like it's a secret that there are someone you should not let try your best arti on.

I had seen more dishonorable scams than this one.

With that said, I'm sad to see the last victim hurt, she is a nice and very helpful person and did not deserve the lose.

21. enigma eb2

enigma eb2 Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Ohh my gooses.... when people agree with me we are all in deep deep twuble. Its the end of society people run for cover.

22. TheScoundrelRico

Yes...one is using game mechanics and a skill which was intended for the game. The other is just being a liar and dishonest. Huge difference, and I'm sorry you don't see the difference. To me it's very clear...la

23. FrejaSP

Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

How is he a liar, he is playing with open cards, all know not to let him try anything on, even his victims know it. Look at his sig, he do warn all.

To me, it's stealing in both cases. I really see no diff.

24. TheScoundrelRico

Then we will have to agree to disagree...la

25. Idico

Idico Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Freja, how do you not see a difference. A thief in game is using a skill set to steal items from your pack (like a PK kills you and takes it). Do you really think this scammer walks up and says, can I try that on so I can STEAL IT? He/She builds trust with them and makes them feel as though they are friends (no matter how dumb you and I see this victim). He/she will tell you that he /she does not steal from friends, has turned over a new leaf, etc. This is how RL theives work. I have never been a victim, because I trust very few. But to compare a UO thief skill to that of a person who SCAMS items is not correct. If this person somehow got your account info, they would LOOT YOU DRY and delete your account and laugh. If another honest person somehow got your account info, they would not use it or warn you of the issue. This is called morals and I think SCAMERS would do the same in RL. And in closing, do not say "well if I kill you in game, I would not in RL." That is part of why this gmae was created and why we play. Building trust and SCAMMING is not part of the game mechanics and is not really good for the game, our community, or its victims.

26. Sir Daniel

Sir Daniel Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

you would have to be a dumb ass to give something back u just paid 15 mil for. just so he could get a pic

27. Idico

Idico Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

No doubt it is a completly stupid move! I am not vested with the victims and I have NO CLUE as to who the victim in this case was. Point is, NONE of us should buy or sell (knowingly) to this scammer. Just because I can kill someone (and never get caught) does not mean I should or would. We as a community should not deal with the scammer, regardless of how stupid the victim is. Just my opinion.

28. FrejaSP

It's also a RP game.

A thief can also try to build trust to speak to his victim, maybe asking for advices to make his victim to stay long enough for him to snoop and steal something.

No matter how good I know someone, I would never let a someone try my best bow without knowing the risk of dying to my own bow.

If I access someone to my house and to my secures, I will know the risk for losing items and maybe a friend too.

If you steal an arti from someone, his or her guildmembers will try to hunt you down.

Yes making someone trust you and then steal from them is a scam but is still a legal way to steal ingame.

I do not steal or loot expensive items but I accept the risk.

I had to admit, when I sold my Trinsic swamp tower Puffy, I did count the checks and tjeck each one said 1000000 and not 100000. I guess I would had done this with most anyway.

However, all was as it should be and the deal was ok. If I had got burned, it had been my fail for being to trusty or to lazy.

29. TheScoundrelRico

Ok folks, let's leave names out of the thread please...la

30. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I doubt that Id log on someones account loot it dry delete their characters and laugh... That is a huge difference from trying on a pair of inquis in game. Funny thing is the person who lost them hasnt even made as big of a deal about it as people it has nothing to do with... This also happened like 3 weeks ago.. Sorry so many were out of the loop.

31. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

LOL Like it matters now.

32. Black magick

Black magick Guest

How is this a scam? This is not a clever use of game mechanics, this is not hacking into the server or whatever to get the item back. This is puffy being clever, and the victim being too trusting.

33. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

One is stealing, and the other is betrayal. They mean 2 totally different things.

Rico: Why even waste your time posting this crap? Siege has a very short memory, and in 2 months (or less) the entire shard will be running around and laughing with the said scammer just as they did in the past. Nothing has changed. Now i suspect the thread will get locked since someone finally came forward and spoke the truth about the great siege community.

*walks off mumbling*

34. TheScoundrelRico

I suppose that is the difference between the people playing the shard today, and the older players. The community actually looked after each other, now it seems they are more interested in showing how dumb the person that was scammed was...*shrugs*

I can't disagree with your thoughts...but at the same time, I am who I am (no, not popeye), and I felt this was important enough to bring up. If nobody but myself does anything...so be it...la

35. GoodGuy

GoodGuy Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Rico i COMPLETELY understand where you are coming from. A true thief's loyalty is absolute.

Once you are loyal to someone you DO NOT backstab them in any way or manner if you are a true thief, it is the lowest move espically in a video game when you are trying to prove yourself as a good thief, care to know how much **** i could get if i had backstabed everybody? A LOT, but its not worth it. A good thief doesn't back stab people. Thats why this said person has already shown himself as a ****ty siege thief, not worthy of any respect. The kid is lame

I agree with Rico, KoS or SoS for all guilds.

36. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

Trust me, you´re not alone out there...

37. Goron

Goron Guest

I disagree, I think the post just go poof. And I have very strong reason to believe that... *hint hint* I used to have one more post than I do now:p

38. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I hate to disappoint everyone, so here you go

[​IMG]

The thread will just go around in circles anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.