1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

There's a new Ultima game, a new Richard Garriott game, what about Wing Commander?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Woodsman, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Chris Roberts is returning to making space videogames :cheerleader:

Roberts Space Industries (code is '42')

A lot of you, most of you, are old enough to remember Origin's golden days when Ultimas and Wing Commander games were huge.

Weird how 2012 was the year new Ultima, Richard Garriott, and Chris Roberts games were announced.
    #1 Woodsman, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
  2. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

You can follow it on the Wing Commander news website

There was some nice concept art posted by the RSI people.

Like Garriott, Roberts doesn't own the Wing Commander IP, so it'll have a different name.
    And people think it might be some kind of MMORPG Privateer game. Even if it's not, that would be fine with me. I liked the Wing Commander, Privateer, Starlancer/Freelancer games.
    #2 Woodsman, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
  3. Arcades

Arcades Sage
    Stratics Veteran

May 14, 2008
    DUDE!!!!!!!! I have been waiting so friggin long for something like Privateer and Wing Commander, Strike Commander too! OMFG you made my day!
  4. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Looks like he will be making the announcement at the Game Developer Conference next month. If you are a spaceship nerd, they are dissecting the images on the website.

Here is the Ultima trivia of the day. The last time a Chris Roberts space game, an Ultima game, and/or a Richard Garriott game were all released in the same year was 1994. Wing Commander III and Ultima VIII Pagan. Ultima Online wouldn't be seriously started until the following year.

Roberts, Garriott, and the Ultima Forever game could all release the same year, either later this year or next year (more likely).

Would be nice if to cap things off by seeing a UO expansion announced this year.
  5. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Feb 27, 2004
    I'd love to be able to play an Online multiplayer game where one can adventure space as a Privateer and get involved into plots, trades and so forth. But it would need to be a game with depth for me to want to play it.
    #5 popps, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  6. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

EA/Origin had been working on a Privateer Online or at least had it in the planning stages after UO did so well.

They also had a Harry Potter Online (may or may not have been based on UO's software) planned, and they canceled that as well. This was before Harry Potter reached the depths of crazy fandom it eventually achieved.

A Privateer Online and Harry Potter Online...wonder how well EVE Online and Wizard 101 would be doing if those had happened. Weird to think Origin nearly became a huge MMORPG studio. Would have been really good for UO.
  7. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

I echo the other "just take my money" comments. This is what I wanted.