1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of coming back from an 8 year layoff

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by sofaking, Jul 16, 2009.

1. sofaking

sofaking Guest

First, I havent played UO since 2000 or 2001. I just reactivated under the 14 day trial to see if it can provide the fun it used to. Much to my surprise the characters I had 8 years ago still exist. If i do come back it will likely be to SP, as I generally like to play both good and evil chars (read pks and anti's) and i dont want to deal with stat loss. I have a couple questions though.

1) The charecters I have from way back when are a mage tamer and a mage archer. Are those still viable templates?

2) has the skill system been changed at all on sp? Last I remembered you could only gain like 2-3 skill points a day total for all skills, is that accurate?

3) What is the community like on sp? is it active and are their a decent ammount of players online? what is the peak playing time est?

4) is all the housing land taken?

2. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Templates are very old, you have alot more options now and I'm sure some of the power players here will give you some tips on that.

The RoT has changed slightly: [SIZE=-1]Rate Over Time System Changes - Siege Perilous Only

*NOTE* These changes only apply to Siege Perilous ruleset shards (Siege and Mugen) [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]
    • Skill points for skills less than 70 points will gain as normal shards.
    • Skill points for skills between 70 and 79.9 points will gain a maximum of 5 points per day with a minimum of 5 minutes between points gained. (250 minutes min to gain 5.0 skill)
    • Skill points for skills between 80 and 89.9 will gain at a maximum of 4.0 points per day with a minimum of 8 minutes between points gained. (320 minutes min to gain 4.0 skill)
    • Skill points for skills between 90 and 99.9 will gain at a maximum of 3.0 points per day with a minimum of 12 minutes between points gained. (360 minutes min to gain 3.0 skill points)
    • Skill points for skills between 100 and 109.9 will gain at a maximum of 3.0 skill points per day with a minimum of 15 minutes between points gained. (450 minutes min to gain 3.0 skill points)
    • Skill points for skills between 110 and 120 will gain at a maximum of 2.0 skill points per day with a minimum of 15 minutes between points gained. (300 minutes min to gain 2.0 skill points)
    • Players will be allowed to gain 15 stat points a day.[/SIZE]

While the community feel is still strong, we've been losing players, it would be good to have some more people back in the game. I see the most players on at night between 8 and 10pm eastern

Loads of player housing space available

3. Albertus

Albertus Guest

Let me begin by saying: "Welcome Back"

I have been playing UO for 8 years now. 2 years on vacation. SP is the best server there is. There is a good number of good and evil players (red/blue).

EST time for more action...I would say after 6pm until midnight. Sometimes a little longer. Last night it was 3am and I was fighting reds all over the place.

Everyone in this server is cool. Some (like myself) like to get into character. So, If I trash talk on the game, is just part of been into character. Remember, this is a game and things cannot be taken personal.

- Anyways, Tamer/Mage or Tamer/Archer are still great templates. Most tamers here are Tamers/Ninjas for survivability.

- There are a few active guilds around like (to mention a few) GIL, SP!, TNT, QUE?, and a few more.

- The skill system is a ROT. when you hit 70. you will gain .1 every 5 mins. at 80, .1 every 10 and at 90+ .1 every 15 mins. This is great cause you know you will gain 100% of the time. There are also scrolls to gain skills right away. (sorry, forgot the name of the scrolls now. Too much coffee.)

- I recommend that you join the guild NEW. Is a guild for new players. You can be in the guild for 1 month. (I think) They will help you get on your feet. (Regs, gear, gold, etc...) Most players will kill you but wont loot you cause you are from NEW. (well, I said "most" cause my guild is like a vaccum. We loot people dry and some players hate that.. lol (oh well, this is Siege)

- Hmmm... let me think what else...Ask for help from players. Like I said, most are nice people and will help you. Including myself.

Again, welcome back to UO and I hope you are here to stay.

"I see you in the field of battle"

- Albertus Maximus -

4. Albertus

Albertus Guest

Ah yeah! I forgot about housings. There are available spots EVERYWHERE!!!

:)

5. sofaking

sofaking Guest

First thanks for the responses.

Is stratics the most active forum/ community for sp?

I will likely be playing from 6-10 est so that peak works great for me. I dont really need a ton of financial help. I still have almost a mill between the two characters so that should be enough to atleast get going.

I am more interested in finding out who the most active red guilds are currently. and how to contact them.

One thing I am not clear on with the ROT changes. are those gains capped on the skills individually or for all skills in that bracket?

anyway these are my old chars do you have suggestions?

eval 100
    magery 100
    meditatio 100
    animal lore 100
    taming 96.2
    wrestling 94.7
    resist 66.5
    vet 42.6

magery 100
    tactics 100
    archery 96.3
    med 91.8
    eval 91.5
    wrestling 81.5
    resist 54.4
    anatomy 49

6. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Albertus statement about RoT isn't quite accurate, not calling him out, he probalby just doesn't know about the changes.

Anyway yes welcome back to Siege. Stratics is definitely the most active Siege forum and the Siege forum on Stratics is more active than almost any other here save UHall.

You'll probably be in the market for powerscrolls if you want to shoot any of your skills up past 100. . .

As for red guilds. . . are you a rp'er or just a pvp'er or just a pk'er?

TDO - The Dark Outlaws is an evil RP guild. Almost all of them are red.

Otherwise most of the red guilds are just pvp'ers, not much rp happening.

7. sofaking

sofaking Guest

I am back because I kept looking for the next UO... and then i wondered why i didnt just try UO again. lol.

8. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

Your in for a big surprise, lol...

9. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Guest

Welcome to Siege!:danceb:

Not sure what kind of Pvp your looking for?

But there is alot to learn and catch up for you. That will be the fun part, is relearing all the new things that have been developed...

I will give you a real big helpful hint...

Ask yourself first what kind of PvPer you were! and what kind of PvPer you want to be!

That will really determine what template suits you best....IE...You seemed to enjoy a mage real well...or a dexer, cause with soul stones now, your able to train multiple skills and switch every 24 hours if you so choose....

The Hard Core and I mean Hard Core PvPers are in the Guild SP....one of the biggest sources of knowledge on "Actual Game Mechanics" there is...

Kage is good to talk to...Hugi Bear also as well as Enigma/Sunchicken and so forth...

Good luck and welcome back

10. sofaking

sofaking Guest

Well I am not sure what kind I am looking for either. I was basically a PK. I was part of a guild Called Juevos Del Diablo that came to siege from chesapeake. I loved pking, but I also participated in guild warfare. I just like fighting.

Yea there is definetly a ton to catch up on. More than the skill changes, the items changes are pretty crazy too. I am sure I can figure all that out. Way more important to me is finding a group of people to play with.

11. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

And who was you in J-D...?

12. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Actually I posted the RoT changes in my initial post to you. What is listed there is accurate

13. sofaking

sofaking Guest

Naltos 550 kills, Merlin 700+kills, Unknown X 300+kills, DuskenDawn????, Elixer DelDiablo????

If you find the old JD web page there is a list of retired members. Naltos is on that list.

14. sofaking

sofaking Guest

One quick question about that. Do those caps refer to skills individually or to all skills within that range?

15. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Wish it was so well but we are only a few reds right now. TDO do have blue too but not Anti PK's

16. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

All skills in that range. You can gain that cap per day, so if you're training 5 skills it's that cap across all five. Hope that makes sense.

TDO website: http://frejasp.dk/TDO_Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2

I know they are actively recruiting right now.

There's a sticky at the top of the forum with guild recruitment information in it. Not all the guilds have posted, but most have.

edit - Ah - Freja and I posted at the same time :)

17. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Ok a couple of questions...

1. Do you have any soul stones for either account? If so how many?

2. What are your plans for account #1? PVP or PVM? Do you plan on keeping Animal Taming?

3. Account #2 I'm guessing this is going to be your main pvp character?
    Do you plan on keeping Archery?

If so you must have Archery and tactics to do specials now. Also you can not toggle specials while casting if you toggle the special para blow or any other special as soon as you cast any spell it will come un-toggled...

18. sofaking

sofaking Guest

I will be logging in to do more than check skills tonight.

1) I dont know. I am guessing I have none. It is my understanding they were rewards for pre-ordering an expansion some years ago. I have read there are something called soul stone fragments, I was planing on looking into those now.*edit* nevermind Each char has atleast 2 available as rewards*edit

2) I would like to use both chars for pvp. But I am not sure which one will go red yet. Probably the archer.

3) I think I am going to keep archery and drop wrestling. Someone recomended a template

110 magery (from an item)
    110 eval
    110 resist
    110 archery
    100 anatomy
    90 tactics
    rest in meditation

Which would be pretty easy to adapt to. They said the hardest part would be the suit.

19. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Character 1

mage tamer is extremely viable... especially in factions.

-20 1 hander makes you be able to use the character to his/her potential riding a dreadmare, cu sidhe, nightmare/beetle combo, etc.

110lore
    110taming
    80vet
    100eval
    120magery
    100med
    100resist

With soul stones you can...

add 120ninja 120bushido 100hiding 80stealth 120swords 120tactics 60med 60chiv 80med 120disco 120music 100cartog 100lockpick and you can run some sick PvP and PvM templates

Character 2

mage is very viable... specifically with soul stones.

120wrestling
    120eval int
    120magery
    120med
    120resist

120focus 100inscription 100alchy 100hiding 100detect 80-100poisoning 120parry 120spellweaving 120spirit speak 120necromancy 120ninja 120bushido 120swords 80stealth 120a lore 120taming 120stealing

Sick for PvP.

again faction items make this character beastly. -20 mage weap 1 handers allow template combos like in the old days when you played. 7xgm was 5 mage skills and 2 support. This is like having that but with 6x120.

Suits are expensive, but you can farm them up yourself. Stat loss is tough to swallow, but people normally have to restock after they lose a fight here anyway.

Talking non-faction gear.

Siege Bless worthy items:

Uncursed Orny
    Staff of Magi (swords of pros too.)
    Scrappers Compendium
    Event Spellbooks
    Fey Leggings (Human Form)
    1/3's with the following mods (DCI, SDI, EP, LMC, HCI, +15magery)

20. sofaking

sofaking Guest

Stat loss? They added stat loss to SP?

21. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Only in factions...

22. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present

Well get to KNOW folks here first maybe better before attempting to join any guilds. Sooner or later you will find out whom all ya fit in with best and whom fits in with you best.

There IS DRAMA here this guild will never like that guild...that guild will never like that other guild and so forth. :) Some few of em may have a grudge going back 4 yrs. or more silly as that sounds, that some folks can not let go of things over time.. but it exists here, to some degree. The community here though still remains one of the strongest on all shards, inspite of themselves here. :)

No matter whom in the end, you join up with, 'be your own person', with your own hard earned rep. here no matter what guild A may think about guild B or visa versa. Get to know them better and give EVERYONE the same fair chances with you, and you with them. Then you can better form your own opinions of the assorted folks here and their guilds. One thing about SIEGE is we all earn our reputations here, positive or negative...just be very careful with your own individual rep. no matter whom ye join up with.

Take your time to get know folks, & you will find your niche and guild here or they will find you.

There are a lot of good people here, in this community, in ALL the assorted guilds of Siege.

23. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

It's temporary stat-loss. If you were here in 2000 to 2001, you should be pretty familiar with factions...