1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of returning

Discussion in 'UHall' started by calibek, Jul 17, 2015.

1. calibek

calibek Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Been a while since I played UO. Last time I was in game they had just started either the second or third dungeon with the new loot changes and was still controlled by Mythic. My main shard was Atlantic. what is it like now and is it worth returning? A few questions I have:

Is crafting any better? Any changes to allow crafting a suit so that you don't have to hunt hours and hours for the perfect piece through PvM? I have a 120 imbuer but has anything else been done to the crafting here?

Have the loot changes gone global? I remember doing Treasure Hunts and they were not the most lucretive way to get items. Actually they weren't even good ways since the items were under the old loot.

Anything else I should be aware of?

2. OREOGL

OREOGL Babbling Loonie
    Professional Campaign Patron

For the amount of 13.99 it is worth jumping back in feet first since there have been many changes to all of these things.

Who knows, you may even enjoy it!

Odin of LS and Lord Frodo like this.
  3. Deep Ellum Dan

I agree, i was away 6 years and came back this past january and since hooking up with a particular large guild, I am totally enjoying my free time when i play UO and craft and hunt.

4. calibek

calibek Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

How are the systems though? Has anything gotten any love? I used to love to treasure hunt and crafting was fun? Is it still convuluted or is it much better?

5. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

A few of the dungeons have been upgraded with new creatures, (shame and despise most noticeably) they did activate the global loot, which makes treasure hunting completely worthwhile and fun now that there is good stuff in the chests sometimes. Crafting has actually gotten even more complicated than when you left. Now there are new things called refinements that add another layer of complexity to crafting, there are also many new properties on armor dropped from npc's, things like damage eater, fire eater, poison eater, etc.

It is definitely worth it to try to play again though :)

6. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

refinements are fun to play around with, far from needed tho. crafting hasnt really changed much, except for the fact that its much much easier to find quality loot pieces to craft the rest of the suit around. the antique mod is new, used mostly for insanely powerful jewels but that wear out faster. just having access to low cost jewels like clean 10ssi (which used to be insanely expensive but now like 10m) goes a long way in making the crafting of suits largely painless now. take a look on traders hall, or vendor search if you get in game to get an idea of some of the legendary armor available. to give an idea of the change in quality, think pieces that would be worth around 100m when you left are worth around 2mil now in terms of availability.

7. Clog|Mordain

Clog|Mordain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Ive recently returned myself. I've enjoyed most things since returning. I even trained up a T-mapper(something I said I would never do) since they buffed loot. Getting that epic item is like a drug even more so these days then previously.

At the end of the day, its still the best game on the market. Such Diversity cannot be found in any other game.

8. Old Vet Back Again

Old Vet Back Again Slightly Crazed

Before the most recent loot update you were able to craft pieces and pretty much hit the max stats/mods you were looking for. There was still a little sacrifice here and there but not really much. With the loot pub now you are able to farm relatively easy and get really good loot to top off your crafted suit. With the loot pub it also dropped the prices of pretty much everything crafting related. So to answer your question, it would not be hard at all to start back up with a crafter and make a good crafted suit. Then go hunt or do some high level t-maps and top off your suit. Right now, it is probably one of the best times to come back to the game because prices are so low.

What has remained relatively expensive is the hard to attain and highly sought after artifacts. Slithers are still around 100m and crimsons have been locked in at about 30m for a while now.

9. calibek

calibek Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Pulled the trigger last night and came back. Had to uninstall and reinstall the client hoping to fix some issues. Got a question though? How much do character transfer tokens go for on Atlantic in gold?

10. Deep Ellum Dan

You transferring to Atlantic?

Sent from my Vampiric HTC of Arcane Virtue using Tapatalk

11. calibek

calibek Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Already on Atlantic and looking to sell some

12. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

there's 4 on vendor search for 59,900,000 so i'd say 55m ish

Lord Frodo likes this.
  13. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

If you are selling and need a quick buck, price them between 45 mil and 50 mil.
    Mine sell in less than an hour when I put them out at 45 mil.

14. Rodge

Rodge Visitor

The game really isn't the same, greed seems to be the main driving force these days.

Such a shame, the game I loved doesn't exist anymore.

15. Faenwen

Faenwen Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Rodge, I have no icea what your UO was!

Some are hunting for rares, for special items, some have hardly anything and a lot who are loaded. There have been people who earned RL money with trading and there are still traders who do! Trader, Rarehunters and greedy ones have been here since the beginning. Who cares!?

UO its what you make out of it!

I still know people who run around in GM made armor, they hunt and even PVP, why? because they can!

Thats what is UO about, the ability to chose what you want to do!

Endrik, Odin of LS, Zuckuss and 3 others like this.
  16. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Maybe at 4 years old you really don't remember very well but UO has ALWAYS been about greed, it is just easier to make gold and acquire goods now. UO is and always will be the game you make it because you are free to do whatever you want to in UO. Do you not remember Castles selling for $2,500.00+ or accounts doing the same on EBay, probably not because there would be no reason for your mom and/or dad to show or tell you about it.

Vor likes this.
  17. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

@calibek Welcome back, remember UO is what you make of it and have fun doing it. I have no problem selling Xfer Token at 55M anywhere it just may take a couple of hours to do so. At 50M you are breaking even at $.40 per mil = $20 from Origin store.

18. Leanore

Leanore Visitor

This has probably been beaten into the ground by the time I got here, but they have been hard at work adding new systems to try to keep the game afloat. Atlantic is very much the same as it has always been, there is a vast amount of players running around, as well as a group of older players sitting in New Haven just waiting to chase down any person with the ''young'' title that they can get their hands on. (I have to admit, I happen to be one of those players.)

They have added a new ''make max'' button to crafting tools that has made training crafting skills immeasurably less painful, so in that respect, crafting is better. I believe that with the new looting system buffed up gear can spawn off of any creature, so PvM is a much better source of finding base-pieces for your crafting needs.

One thing that you should be aware of is that they've turned Despise and Shame into a mini-game, so don't go there expecting to be able to kill anything relatively easy. They've added a new newbie dungeon just South of New Haven bank with Earth Elementals on the immediate floor, and Ogre Lords on the lower floor, it's not nearly as efficient for training as Despise used to be because there is now a gap between killing undead in Ol' Haven and going to the new dungeon that you have to fill by chasing down as many Ettins as you can find.

Overall, I do think it's worth it to return, and I'll likely be sitting in New Haven to welcome you back when you do.

19. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Fill that gap in training with going and killing orcs and deathwatch beetles in the desert outside Tokuno.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  20. calibek

calibek Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Like I said, pulled the trigger and decided to come back. Been spending time getting my house set up and going through a lot of the stuff I had. Didn’t realize what a pack rat I was and how much I had. Also taking stock of my characters and their skills. This leads me to a few questions.

• When creating a suit what is the best way to optimize? I know that creating/finding the base piece is key but what route do I go after? Should it be enhance > imbue > reforge > refine or are there restrictions and a different way to go?

• Going to change my gargoyle mystic mage into a mystic/thrower. He is also my imbuer but I plan on stoning of imbuing and getting 120 focus. So the thought here is my skills will be 120 throwing/focus/mysticism/ tactics. I have room for 2 more 120 skills or a mix and match. I also have alchemy on him. As far as this character what stats should I aim for? What skills to fill in? What mods on the armor? I would prefer NOT to take him down the Sampire thrower route as I already have a sampire. Need help on this one as this is probably going to be my biggest undertaking.

• Looking in to getting in to pirating. I bought the High Seas booster when it first came out but I never really did anything with it. Now I wish to try it out. Any tips or anything? One problem I had long ago was I would recall of the boat to land and forget about the boat and it would decay. Is decaying still in effect? I would hate to spend 200k on one of the boats only for it to decay. Also is taking down a pirate something that can be done solo?

• Does Luck do anything or is it even noticeable when hunting? I took my tamer/mage out last night with a greater dragon to the Wisp Dungeon in Ilsh and killed Dark Wisps. The loot, short of a few pieces, was not too good. My main goal wasn’t to get loot anyhow but to stock up on chests that the paragon’s drop. They are helpful for storage and I like them A LOT better. Also I was wearing 1695 luck.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Also to note that most of this will be trammel based with the occasion treasure hunt in fel. I don’t plan or care to PvP here, that I save for Heroes of the storm.

21. Seelendolch

Seelendolch Adventurer

The only activity/thing above i can give a little insight on is the boating/pirate hunting. The guild leader took us out on a boat and showed us how to use the cannons, and we went hunting pirates! it was fun, and while using the cannon takes a few resources, it is a fun activity. I think with a little practice it could be soloed, if you can hide or invis every now and then, to break aggro from the pirate ship "boss". I have also heard that there are merchant ships you can attack too, but they dont damage your boat with cannons. I hope that little bit of info was helpful, gl and have fun! :)

22. Vor

Vor Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Boats do decay. My RP guilds house and one of my personal homes are both on the coast though so I leave my ship outside whichever is closer these days. But in the past when living in land I've often let them decay by mistake.

I prefer to hunt merchants. Being in a pirate RP guild mainly, but also because I can do them much quicker so time wise the investment to reward is better.

But I agree. Pirates are very fun.

Lord Frodo and Seelendolch like this.
  23. MalagAste

Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

You know you can hunt the merchant ships without even harming the crew. As long as you fire only the Cannonballs and never grapeshot they won't attack you at all while you scuttle their vessel board and take all their booty.

Lord Frodo, Vor and Victim of Siege like this.
  24. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

25. Martell

Martell Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

The only flaw in this logic is that gold sells for $.18 per mil now...

26. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

The lowest I have seen it is .30 if you buy 100M+ even in all those books laying around it is .30 or more. As I have never seen what you say then I must take your word on it but would be very hesitant to buy from them.

27. Martell

Martell Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I don't think you would be, most are long-time, well known Stratics posters/vets.

28. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

That still doesn't mean I would buy from them. We are all faceless entities on the internet, at least from EA's store there is a company there that we all know.

29. MalagAste

It runs 0.18 Cents to 0.40 Cents... And you don't think those sites actually farm their own gold?!? Heck no... they buy it for 0.18 or less and mark it up to 0.30 or 0.40.

Honestly I see no reason to use those sites. Risky if you ask me.

30. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I never said I used them and I know all to well how and where they get their stuff and I use the unnamed site for the same reason as everyone still uses it to compare prices across all shards at once. As far as Gold prices go they are they only semi legit place to do RMT other than EA's Store and that is their price what others do is by word of mouth or whatever they do and is really no concern of mine. I use .40 as a basis because if you look at what people are selling store bought items for .40 plus a markup seams to work out close enough. Not to sound whatever but if some one is selling gold for .18 per then 10M would be $1.80 and my time is well worth more than that any day of the week. So please everybody yes there may be bots out there selling lower and you may know those cheaters, alls I did was give and example to better base your sale price on and if you look at EA's store price and my example on xfer tokens I am damn close with a 10-20% mark up 55-60M is the general rate and I know I will hear well you know you can whatever people so you know cheaters and you get it cheaper, good for you. I repeat I use that noname site for one reason and it is to search UO to compare prices to see what I am going to price my stuff at so it will sell faster than most. Please feel free to use what ever way you want to to set your prices. If you want to sell your whatever based on .18 per M than be my guest and lets see how many Xfer Tokens you sell at 111M each while all others are selling at 55-60M. Have a nice day everybody I think this subject is about beat to death as far as I am concerned.

31. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

If your building a suit, you can enhance reforged or loot artifact pieces if need be. to reforge something it has to be regular leather, so will need an enhance for max resists. you can use any type of leather base piece and imbue it (no need to enhance imbued) Before artifact loot, when resists were an issue on suits, you would imbue a resist THEN enhance just for the extra 2 - 4 resists points to go above imbue cap. with massive resists on artifact armor these days theres really no reason to do that anymore.

As for garg thrower / mystic, ideally you will want a 5 piece stone suit for the inherent lmc bonus of stone (its basically studded / bone for a garg) Head slot for gargs has no stone so that will have to be earrings or glasses. Plate is another option, but only 1 lmc bonus compared to 3 from stone. you can alter plate arms and leggings from human to garg, but cannot alter studded / bone / hide.

also keep in mind that earrings and amulets (neck slot) gain no resists from enhanceing with special granite / ingots. it will let you enhance, but will not gain resists. a bad design that many overlook.

as for skills, if your using throwing alot may want to get the full 300 combat skill points needed for max lower mana cost. If you cant get 300 skill points, definitely get 200 for the lesser bonus.

For stats, on a mystic thrower i would probably use a 40 swing speed soul glaive with 20 swing speed on jewels (or 15 with 5ssi from town bonus)
    with this swing speed you will only need 150 stamina to swing at 1.5 speed. you could go 160 stam for a buffer for when you lose stam from damage taken.

other option is to go 180 stam with 45 swing speed total to get the same effect, but may be low on mana with this setup. in my opinion 150 stam with 60 total swing speed is better

dont worry about refinements, they really arent needed unless your designing a suit for a specific purpose. like i use a 65 dci suit when killing blackthorn's dungeon captains, but in general a non-refined wont perform noticably differrent from a refined one.

luck is generally worthless unless your basically afk killing and dont care about how slow your character can kill things. if your going to have any for a character you actually play, stick to around 200-300. after that it really doesnt pay off and will weaken your overall suit greatly.

hen likes this.
  32. calibek

calibek Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks all for the replies. As far as RL money and all that good stuff I'm not really interested. I got the xfer tokens as part of a deal from selling my house when I was here last. Had a nice spot and someone offered me 200 mil for it. Instead of going for that which would require a broker due to 200 1 mil checks (which btw should really be upped) I opted for 80 mil and 3 xfer tokens which at the time were appraised for 40 mil a piece. Nice to know they went up.

As far as the pirating thank you for that information. I plan on going for that later on.

And thank you very much Smoot for giving me information on the rest. Your post is VERY helpful and something I will need to dissect late on. Basically though what you are saying is to reforge something it has to be plain leather/iron only (no spined, horned, or barbed, ditto for the blacksmithing items as well). Can reforged items be imbued or enhanced? I know that, for instance, once an item was imbued it could no longer be enhanced. Which is the best way to go when making items? Is it to get artifact quality items? Is it to create a suit from runics? Is reforging the new way? So much when it comes down to it. Right now I have several suits for my characters that are good but if there is a way to modify or create better then I am all for it. Right now my necro/mage/weaver is using a shield. White stats wise it is needed to get up there I just hate the idea of him using a shield (While I am not big on RP I do enjoy certain aspects of things like a mage NOT using a shield). Only reason he has it is because it helps top off something that would not be possible otherwise. Also from what I am reading aren’t there only 4 pieces to the stone suit?

Also since when did non-meddable armor get inherent LMC? Is this something new? Is there a chart for this? I like the idea of stone for my garg thrower/mystic andif it gets LMC all the better. Question though, does something like that count towards the mod total of the item piece or is that independent? Does that count towards the cap or is it in addition to?

33. Vor

Vor Grand Inquisitor

Physical gold is to be replaced fully with an account based gold system. "Soon™". So that should solve the issue with cheque limits.

34. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

LOL good to joke every once in a while.

Lord Gandalf and Vor like this.
  35. calibek

calibek Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I logged in to the test center and played around with the reforging system. It is WAY too random for my taste. It is nice because you have a better chance of getting specific mods on the armor but it is still random on what mods, how many, and the intensity. I was hoping it would be less RNG. Either way I need to update my suits due to the inherent LMC gained from materials now.

Any other ideas or tips from anyone?

36. Deraj

Deraj Sage

If you're just starting out again, I wouldn't even mess with reforging. Imbue a basic suit and from there you will identify more specific needs as you develop.

Yadd of Legends likes this.