1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

this is why i can never figure out when stuff is happening

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Poo, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

this is why i can never figure out when stuff is happening and whats going on when.

look at the posted time and look at the time stamp.
    we are not even talking about time zone differences here, its not like 2 hours different.
    its 5 hours and 17 minutes.

how random is that!

and where is UO out of?
    some old warsaw block country?
    5 hours difference!
    and 17 minutes...... what just to be difficult?

im just lost.

[​IMG]

2. Old Vet Back Again

Old Vet Back Again Slightly Crazed

So, just by looking at this logically. I would assume that it was posted to uo.com @ 2:25pm and then the bot that catches the updates on uo.com to post and link on stratics was at 8:42am. Straics posted at 8:42am and the difference is 5hr and 43 minutes. Now figuring out exactly how fast the bot catches the posting and figuring out it's exact time zone is a bit of a challenge. I would assume it is on UTC/Hawaiian and caught it about 17min after it was posted to uo.com

3. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

The top time would be the time the message was posted on UO.com (I dunno what timezone for this)

The bottom one would be the time when it was picked up and posted on Stratics so I would expect some delay. 5+ hours though does seem a long time.

4. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

Except it isn't a time delay... its a time warp back. How can Stratics pick it up at 8:42 AM if UO didnt post it until 2:25 PM? SAME DAY??

5. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

UO.com posts in Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) (its also called UTC, Coordinated Universal Time), it says so at the end of their time stamps...not exactly difficult to discover...

GMT is 4 hours ahead of EST, 5 hours ahead of CST, 6 hours head of MST, and 7 hours ahead of PST.

They are likely using GMT/UTC so there are fewer timezone conversion issues. US daylight savings changes confuse things.

#5 Dot_Warner, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  6. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

I'm not sure at what time UO.com posts - our RSS polls for feeds once every 30 minutes. So at maximum the post will appear on Stratics within half hour of it being posted to UO.com (or any of the EM sites if they allow RSS).

Just letting you all know the delay as to when things will appear on Stratics. Oh, and Stratics is set to EST - but will flip in the winter. No, Stratics don't use Hawaiian (UTC -10 always - we don't do daylight savings in Hawaii) - our software is set up to where it is hosted on the east coast.

7. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie

Looks like Dot nailed it, but for some reason the RSS feed doesn't pick up the GMT part of the time in the posting.

8. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

because our post time is recorded by our server's local..... eastern seaboard, aka EST.

9. Dot_Warner

Its still confusing because it was posted on uo.com at 10:45am EST, but Stratics somehow posted it several hours prior? o_O

@Kirthag Can I borrow your TARDIS? :devil:

10. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Have you ever considered purchasing a time share? I have some really interesting offers for you.

11. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie

Not the STRATICS time, the UO TIME as noted in the UO post as circled first in the OP post... 2:25 is missing the GMT notation.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  12. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Poo they are totally missing the point. People the date on both of those posting is JULY 1, 2015
    UOStratics posted this at 8:42am 1 July, 2015
    UO.Com posted it at 2:25pm 1 July, 2015 6 hours into the future, LOL.

13. Saul

Saul Visitor

Use time travel

14. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Sorry it does not, this is from UO
    Login Servers Down
    Posted by Bonnie Armstrong | 2015 Jul 01 14:25 -0400 GMT

Notice the -0400 GMT That is East Coast Time -4 hours.

15. Dot_Warner

Uhm, yeeeees, technically it does... That's how universal time is expressed, GMT/UTC time +/- zone offset. 14:25 -400 GMT = 10:25 EDT.

Were they expressing it in EDT, it simply would have said 10:25 EDT.

16. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Having worked with GMT/Zulu/UTC all my military career you state the time in a 24 hour format followed by the time zone you are in that way there is no mistaking what time it really is. We had duties that were set to Zulu so we had to know what time zone we were in at any given time, working for Big Brother is a paint in the you know where. Why UO has gone to this time stamping is unknown but I think one of the producers was ex air force so that may explain it. Kudos for the EDT and not EST, sometimes DST is a pain.