1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

This morning in Gen Chat

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Candy Cane, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Candy Cane

Candy Cane Journeyman

Most of you who know me, know I have strong opinions and I usually find it hard not to voice them. Something was said in Gen Chat this morning that I found very offensive and most all who saw it felt the same way. I am not going to say what was said or who said it.

I guess what I really wanted is to remind people that it doesn't matter the color of your skin its the character inside your skin that matters. All races have good and bad people in them. I would like to think the person who said what they did didn't mean any offense by what they said. I will hope they read this and realize those kinds of words should never be used. Please remember this world has become very small with the internet and just because you can't see who is behind the computer doesn't mean its okay to use racial slurs.

I will not cast the first stone, because I to have used words I am not proud of. I have said things to friends joking that were racial slurs, usually said to the person of that race and they knew I was joking, the same as they would do to me. That however does not make it right or that it should be done.

Next time think before you type, or speak and try not to say things that will offend others.

2. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Personally speaking, I would like to know who it was and what they said. People need to be judged on how they act around others. A pm with the info will do just fine ;-) . Don't give this person a pass like that. If they go out of their way to type something out in an online chat room, it's in their heart, and they'll say it or act out on it in the real world too.

startle, Troop_Gil and Bo Bo like this.
  3. Bo Bo

Bo Bo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

yeah bo wants to know who it was and what they said
    Hugibear was on earlier but didnt see this. spill the beans!

Troop_Gil and Baby Doll like this.
  4. Candy Cane

Candy Cane Journeyman

I prefer to think that the person who said it didn't realize it might offend people. Or that they said it without thinking. It wasn't directed at anyone. So I think unless I see them say more of the same I will just hope it was a mistake on their part. I don't want anyone to harass this person if indeed it was just a stupid mistake the kind we all make.

I am hoping they will read this and realize what they said was in poor taste.

Baby Doll likes this.
  5. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

I´m curious too but you made a valid point there, CC...

startle, Troop_Gil and Baby Doll like this.
  6. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

"I'm sorry I said that" and "I'm sorry that offended you" , are 2 entirely different things.

7. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

One of the oddities that makes Siege what it is, is player justice. I know many believe this to be a myth. One character per account, the small core population that knows each other well and the fact that most of will stick to our guns when we make up our minds too.

That is not to say that opinions do not change. Mine certainly have over the years.

Troop_Gil and Baby Doll like this.
  8. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Whoever it was deserves some peer pressure feedback from people, if they follow these forums and read this thread it's done. If they don't follow these forums they need it in game. The figurative whack upside the head to let them know whatever they did will not be put up with.

startle and Troop_Gil like this.
  9. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

Free speech is a right, a life free of offense is not.

Without knowing anything more of the situation I'll just assume that somebody said a "N"aughty word carelessly. Who cares about the word if the intent behind it is not there?

Of course, the great thing about Siege is that a life free of stabbings is also not a right. Go forth and enforce your vision of reality as you believe it should be at the point of a blade.

As is your right.

Uvtha, SpyderBite, Kat and 2 others like this.
  10. Val'lyn De'ana

Val'lyn De'ana Seasoned Veteran

Oh stop it!!!

Your rights to free speech are in place to protect your words from government intervention, not a group of individuals playing a fantasy game on the internet. If somebody wants to use the general chat to throw out obscenities and vulgar comments that are not appreciated by the general public, they should expect to see some type of player retribution (player killing, muting or just being put on ignore).

I recall a few years back a bunch of players getting banned for using the “r” word in game. While I didn’t mind them getting busted, I’d rather see the population of their shards extend the punishment than the game developers.

-Val’lyn

#10 Val'lyn De'ana, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  11. Candy Cane

Candy Cane Journeyman

Just because you have the right to say whatever you want doesn't mean you should be rude or disrespectful to others. I defend everyone's right to free speech but I will not defend you being rude just to be rude or to get attention. If someone makes an honest mistake, which I hope was what happened in this case then maybe if they read this they will think twice before making the same mistake again.

Lore Denin (GL) likes this.
  12. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

So basically "I disagree with you, and instead agree with you exactly!"

Then it would appear that you do not defend my right to free speech, merely my right to acceptable speech.

Uvtha likes this.
  13. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

I always chuckle when "free speech" is brought up on Stratics... and then I shake my head.

kelmo likes this.
  14. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

Who would expect free speech on the forum of a company dedicated to maximizing their profit through advertising?

Ideals don't pay the bills.

15. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

You had me at stop.

*smiles*

Val'lyn De'ana likes this.
  16. Val'lyn De'ana

Val'lyn De'ana Seasoned Veteran

Sometimes you have to raise your voice to the kids. Otherwise they won't listen. :)

-Val'lyn

Bo Bo and kelmo like this.