1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

this will probably start a huge flame war....but WTH

Discussion in 'UHall' started by TimberWolf, Aug 25, 2015.

1. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I would love to see UO/ broadsword embrace tradition and clear the Guild list of old/lost guilds. Freeing them up to be reused.

For example....the THB has disappeared from most shards. Guild leaders quit playing and never bothered to pass the "guild ownership" on. I bet you there are 100's of old school guilds that players would love to revive but are lost forever. As a Past GM of the THB on Catskills I would love to reactivate the old guild but alas it is impossible as it stands now!

I am not talking about stealing any active guilds.....I am talking about freeing up on guild tags and names so they came be used again!

How many are there out there??? I bet the list would be long...

Treasure Hunters of Britannia ( THB)
    anyone else think of any?

2. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

did you leave the guild? if your still in the guild, not hard to take ownership if its truly non-active.

3. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni K^S

Why is it impossible to make a treasure hunting guild? Does the guild have to be named THB? Why not THB! or THB* or an original name of your choosing? Why not build something new youself and begin a new legacy?

Lord Frodo likes this.
  4. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I agree, if noone had been logged in and active in the guild for 6 months, let the guild die. If Guildmaster had not been on for 6 month, but members had been online, there should be a vote for a new guildmaster. Ronin do not count as they can't vote. If only ronin active, the guild should die.

In old days, if stone decayed with a house, guild was gone.

I hope we will get a update to seach on MyUO as you need to have first 3 letters of a guild or a char to seach, I would like to seach for a part of the name. If I know a guildname is something with Outlaws but can't remember the start of name, I'm lost as I can't just seach for outlaws and get all guilds with that as a part of the name.

TimberWolf likes this.
  5. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

I'm 50/50 on this one.

I was in SCC on Napa, first guild I was ever in.

upload_2015-8-25_8-17-50.png

As you can see, I'm still in it! But the rest of the crew hasn't been seen in over 3 years...it's nice to be nostalgic and log in to see the tag above my head, but if it were a guild/tag that someone else really wanted to use, maybe they could re-name all the old guilds to something like THB-Historical or something...so THB can be used again but the originals are still safe.

6. FrejaSP

Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Unless the guildmaster decided to let all stay Ronin, then you can't.
    Also inactive members should not count, when it comes to a vote.

7. TimberWolf

Stratics Veteran Alumni

No when I left in 2009 I passed on the THB to other players who promised to do the same if they ever quit. I dropped all guild affiliations back then..gave everything away etc....never planning to return. ( famous last words)

Wild....of course anyone could do that...but the point of the post was to revive some of those old classic tags like HOT or THB or even DB4.
    I am sure there are a lot of the old classic crafting guild tags that would be great to reuse...perhaps as the 18th anniversary....Time of Legends seems like a perfect time to breath life back into some of there old legendary guild tags.

I am not thinking shard specific guilds as much as guild that had spread out over multiple shards to truly become part of game lore.

8. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Governor Campaign Patron UWF

Would be nice to see some unused guild tags freed up.

And to clear out that long list of inactive guilds in the guild diplomacy list.

TimberWolf likes this.
  9. TimberWolf

Stratics Veteran Alumni

For example,

THB on cats has one member the Guild Leader who hasn't played in over 3 years. I know her...haven't spoken to her in years but would guess she doesn't even have a clue what her old account info is! Is it really realistic for me to ask her to go through the pain, hassle and expense to reactivate her accounts to find the character that has the tag to transfer it to me? Oh and ya this lady probably had around 5-7 accounts like many did back then, so thinking she might have to activate a few to find the right one.

So much easier for Mes to wave a magic wand and do it!

10. Slayvite

Slayvite Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I was the last active member of Europa's Britannia Guard (LB) ,hence i'm now also the guildmaster.....

11. TimberWolf

Stratics Veteran Alumni

And if you quit the guild anyone with 25k will be free to start the guild back up. ...But if you just close your account and leave UO for good....that tag is forever lost!....

Sad

12. Slayvite

Slayvite Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I only became Guildmaster because I voted for myself and since nobody voted for anyone else (nobody active) I won the contest. lol

and we thought real world elections were rigged ;)

Stubentiger likes this.
  13. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Stratics Legend
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter PITMUCK

14. Podolak

Podolak Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I wouldn't mess with SWAT (I think he held the DB4 stone last) he'll gut you and gut me for knowing you and gut Zuckuss because doesn't play Drake enough.

Flutter likes this.
  15. Scribbles

Scribbles Babbling Loonie
    Professional Alumni

@TimberWolf I definitely get where you are coming from. However, I dont think there is a means to that end. UO simply doesnt have the will, or the means to do such a thing with out risking an active guild getting disbanded... You know they would mess up any plan to get rid of inactive guild names... :)

I for one have multiple characters that just hold certain guild names. I quite often try to reserve the guild name of the guildstones i have. Ive been succesful on more than a few occasions, even ones that have been previously unavailable.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  16. TimberWolf

Stratics Veteran Alumni

He better have a pretty big knife...I got a pretty big gut...and I know how to use it! :)

#16 TimberWolf, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    kelmo and Victim of Siege like this.
  17. TimberWolf

Stratics Veteran Alumni

It is pretty easy to see guild info MYUO and to see if they have active members! Sadly I agree they will probably screw stuff up occasionally...
    but it seriously shouldnt be that hard to do it right!

18. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni K^S

Funny story. I have actually had a guild deleted on me twice. Seemed to happen right around Christmas time both times.

19. TimberWolf

Stratics Veteran Alumni

Funny story...podo says Swat is gonna gut you!

20. Podolak

Podolak Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

No Swat just deleted his guild, twice. Zuck had to make me the GM to get him off his trail.

Flutter likes this.
  21. Sunseri

Sunseri Journeyman

IDOC should apply as much to guild tags as it does to houses of inactive accounts. If a GL walked away from the game, the guild tag and name should collapse with the house. Only exception should be players like Larisa that have not resigned. If a single player is the only one active in a specific guild for six months, that player should automatically become the GL even if they were just a ronin.

MalagAste likes this.
  22. TimberWolf

Stratics Veteran Alumni

What type of GL leaves the game with active people in their guild without promoting them??

23. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

You don't want to know.

I had one that threw everyone off the stone and then was dumb enough to transfer off shard. Duh! So I took the guild name and title back.

24. TimberWolf

Stratics Veteran Alumni

LOL Talk about an epic fail!

25. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Yeah even more duh she then took the guildstone to Atl too and then let her house decay and fall and someone found it and looted it from the IDOC and then gave it to me at cost back on GLs. So epic fail X10.

26. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

In our alliance, we've kept the old inactive guilds. Lo and behold, people have returned into those guilds and were able to reconnect with us immediately through alliance chat. If you swept the inactive guilds out, this would not be the case. So I vote against your proposal.

MalagAste and Vor like this.
  27. OREOGL

OREOGL Babbling Loonie
    Professional Campaign Patron

I say we wipe everything clean!

Suddenly it's 1997 again!!

Capt. Lucky and TimberWolf like this.
  28. FrejaSP

Except, we will have no players left. When they wiped Siege 1999, alot gave up and did not start over.
    If people loose all they have worked for, nothing will keep them here. When players start a new char on Siege, they miss all their vet rewards, gifts and other stuff they have collected over the years and that make alot of them give up Siege again.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  29. OREOGL

OREOGL Babbling Loonie

I was being facetious.

30. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Crazed Zealot

Would make a nice shard though

OREOGL likes this.
  31. OREOGL

OREOGL Babbling Loonie

I do agree, and id love to even out the playing field on a new production shard that doesn't allow transfers.

But when you factor in feasibility it becomes extremely unlikely

32. TimberWolf

Stratics Veteran Alumni

New accounts only....no transfers on or off. Personally I think they need to get rid of a few shards ...not make more...but this idea is interesting.

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  33. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I have the guild I first created when I started. Since then I've tossed it onto a character just to "hold" for sentiments sake. I still log on the character, but mostly for house customizing/decorating. I have the first friend I ever made in the game in that guild, and although we rarely ever see each other (she's a morning person I am a night owl) we still can pick up as if we'd never been apart at the drop of a hat randomly when one of us needs help or just to say "hey".
    With that said I did go several months without logging on the account. It held my Luna house so the account stayed active, but I didn't play it.
    During that time the "Welcome back to Britannia" thing was going on and someone who I'd long forgotten logged onto the account.
    Somehow when she logged in the game randomly gave her the guildmaster title, even though she didn't vote herself in or even notice she was guilded.
    It took quite some time for me to get the guild back, because I had no way to contact this 3rd person. Thank goodness my friend ran into her and asked her to drop the guild so I could take it back.
    Sure enough server up I was GM again.
    So there's some sort of "guild saving" program in the game, but I don't understand exactly how it works.
    If the GM is inactive for over 30 days the guild goes to a random active member... (I think?)

34. TimberWolf

Stratics Veteran Alumni

Well Flutter....as usual the system is broken or poorly designed or both. My dear old friend closed her accounts 3-4 years ago I guess. Not sure exactly because it was during when I wasnt playing. Rumour has it she was actually holding the THB guild tag for me ( in case of my return) when the guys I passed it onto decided to leave the game. But with only one person in the guild...and those accounts long closed... the THB tag on catskills is gone forever. I am sure there are other guilds like that...forever lost.

I just thought that with the return to ..."A time of Legends" having some of the original Legendary guilds is something @Mesanna would be interested in.

35. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Understand why you want your old guild tag back. I still have our old guildstone and people are still in the guild so it would be safe under your request but I also have a stone that was given to me for safe keeping just incase my friend returns and I would hate like hell for someone to take his guild name. I am not sure how you could protect non active guild names in certain cases or the people that collect guildstones from those names being used. Do you have other chars in THB on other shards, if so maybe contact Mesanna about Cats.

36. TimberWolf

Stratics Veteran Alumni

No up until recently I only played on Cats, but I did some looking around and investigating. There is only a couple shards with active members. Some have a few members that are inactive. Most just have one inactive GM.

I wont ask Bonnie for special treatment for me or for Catskills. I dont appreciate when I get put in a position like that, so I wont put her in that position. I dont think it is possible to do it to some inactive guilds but not all inactive guilds.

But frankly, and with all do respect to your friend I am not sure why we give a rat's crap about inactive players/accounts! They dont add to the community, they dont add revenue to the game. And I think that protecting inactive account's ownership rights is really one of the stupidest things that Broadsword could do!

Reward active players...ignore inactive players!

37. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

It is the history of those old guilds and the fact that someone has a new guild name and I hold the old guild stone with that same name just devalued my UO history. IMHO you have a unique request where I think the majority of players would want something new and a few old timers might want their old guild names back. As far as ignoring inactive players is IMHO the reason UO has so few returning players and should be just the opposite. UO has gotten to complex that the only people that even grasp what UO is are people that grew up with it. I see new players from time to time and after awhile they just disappear to be never heard from again. Even looking at Stratics and new people here that ask questions about UO and the players try to explain things and then they no longer post, they just fade away. We need to maintain our history and get our old players back because we sure the hell ain't getting a bunch of new players to keep UO going into the future.