1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Trash clean up at morning maintenance

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Doubleplay, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I have a simple question for those more knowledgeable than I in programming issues: Why in the heck is it so difficult to have the morning maintenance sweep clean up all the small pieces of blackrock laying all over the place? I mean if I drop an item in game like a book, a piece of food or mostly anything else, it will disappear at morning maintenance if not sooner. There must be a programming issue that keeps the blackrock hanging around. I mean the stuff only appears in the first place when you find it during mining. It's not as though it is a visible part of the landscape before that. So when it is dropped, how can it be misread as possibly something that belongs? If this is not a super difficult programming issue, then why the heck does it keep going on?

I do notice that there is less laying around in caves than there used to be, so perhaps part of this problem has been solved, but the pieces I dropped in my house a month ago are still there.

In the great scheme of things, this is not something that really bugs me, and my intent is not to labor the point. I am interested, though, in how these situations evolve from a programming standpoint.

2. CryptisRavenous

CryptisRavenous Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I've had a piece of blackrock on the floor in my house (not locked down/secured) for past 3 months, haha.

3. Nimuaq

Nimuaq Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I believe it is intentional, blackrock is one of the few reagents that has strange properties, unable to decay is one of them. They give 10 points each if you turn them in for clean up Britannia though.

4. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

Whenever I find a house surrounded with blackrock pieces or find piles of it in a cave or along a mountainside or at a bank, I grab a bag and pick it all up. Then I hand the bag to my character that does all my spring cleaning turn-ins's and she drops it in a trash container. Like Nimuaq said, each piece is worth 10 points for spring cleaning.

5. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Yep

I'd be happier if they could get rid of all the stew, water troughs, portraits, busts.... and other crap that is left all over the map.

Parnoc likes this.
  6. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

The danger with this sort of cleanup is that it could get rid of player corpses of people that died right before the backup ended, or the bag dropped by a pet that went wild, etc. We already have too many issues with lost stuff from unplanned crashes and the points where the system comes back up (by which time the player may not even be there to save his or her stuff, though a friend might be).