1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble With Trade

Discussion in 'UO Spiels N Rants' started by Lariat, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Lariat

Lariat Guest

I just went to the Central Trade forum to see what kinda trading might be going on for LS, when I see this:

I was only slightly peeved that 3-4 shards were being crammed into a single trade forum. It was frustrating to see the absolute perfect ring for sale, then realize it was on a different shard. I was able to cope though, as there were only a couple other shards to sift through. Now they go and do this and make it even worse! If we could freely trade among these shards with no extra costs, it might make sense to merge them. Now I have SEVEN different shards worth of posts to filter through, including one I can't even transfer to. This means possibly going through page after page after page of posts trying to find stuff on my shard.

The part that really gets me is the "I hope this is more satisfactory." How would it be?! Did people really ask for this? This, coupled with the bombing of the old Stratics boards kinda reminds me of when EA blew up Haven and replaced it with what we have now. I really see no benefit to having the shards grouped together like this. Am I missing something?

2. Blesh

Blesh Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Before they blew up thier servers, we had a trade forum for each and every shard on thier own. Why they took that away from us wen they gave us these forums i have no idea. i think the whole idea is friggin ********.

3. legendsguy

legendsguy Sage
    Stratics Veteran

i did a little (a very little) research on this new warhammer game and found that EA will be using stratics for their boards as well. just another reason -not- to even look at warhammer.

4. NewThunder

NewThunder Guest

I do not see myself using those lumped together trade forums ever again. I do not care what is for sale on the other 6 shards I am only concerned about legends. they will say that you can easily sort by prefix, but half the darn posts do not use the tag to state which shard thier post refers.

5. legendsguy

legendsguy Sage
    Stratics Veteran

that's nice. they moved this to the spiels and rants board as if they can just brush it aside, ignore it, and the problems will just magically go away. valid criticism of a shoddy message board isn't a rant.

6. Orvago

Orvago Stratics' Finest
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

It's here because it is a Rant, if it wasn't then it wouldn't have been posted publicly and would have instead been sent through the proper channels to complain, which is email to [email protected] - It is as simple as that. If we didn't want hear more opinions, it would have been locked or deleted. Sooo, I just punched a few holes in your theory.

7. Lariat

Lariat Guest

I never meant it as a rant, Orvago. I was simply trying to solicit the feedback of my fellow peers on the boards, trying to see if this was in fact something people asked for, or if there was some hidden benefit I was missing. I tried to be civil, though reading over the post I probably could've done a little better.

8. RenaLynne

RenaLynne Guest

I never asked for it and never saw anyone asking for input or votes. I'll send an email, wth, I got a few mins to burn.;)

9. Ryna

Ryna Sage
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Actually I'd gotten well over two dozen requests and complaints about having a Central trade forum, so I decided to get rid of it.

It's partially my fault and partially the forum's fault for the problem with prefixes. When I went to add the prefixes to the target forums, and it insisted that I can only have one of the same name at a time, so I had to delete the ones in use before I could put them where they go.
    Now, it's my stupid fault because I didn't think to move them *before* I removed the tags, so they all got their tags erased (I didn't know it'd do that.. :c/) and are now a big pain in the butt to sort....

So sorry everyone.

The tags are required, at least, so any new or edited posts will be properly sortable.

Sorry again.

10. Orvago

Orvago Stratics' Finest
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

No worries Ryna, I count this as my fault also for it was mentioned to me a long time ago but it slipped my mind with all I had going on.

*Orvago frowns*

11. Lariat

Lariat Guest

Well what's wrong with the way things were? WHen each shard had its own trade forum? And all we need to get something changed is 24 complaints out of hundreds if not thousands of Stratics users? Good to know.

12. Orvago

Orvago Stratics' Finest
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

The thing is, when they were separated, they had little to no activity. People complained that the trade forums should be removed and trades allowed back in the Shard Forums. Now that the Trade Forums separated from the Shard forums and combined by region, there is more activity than there had been in ages. And now, people are complaining about something else.

Also, for every one person that gives an opinion, there are many many who remain silent. I feel, with the amount of traffic we're seeing, the current set-up is how is should be. I do feel, along with others, that there needs to be some better tweaking to allow users more customization in how they view the forum's thread lists and better searching methods for trades.

Let us instead of trying to get rid of the current system, try to improve upon it. If this latter is improved, then there should be no problems.

13. Desperado_SE

Desperado_SE Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Orvago, is there any option available in the programming on your people's end to maybe set up something like a filter where the forum users can say select specific shard sales threads to be viewed, something like only showing Atlantic or Catskilsl while leaving the other shard posts invisible? Not sure if I explained it right or bot, but I'm hoping you get the gist of what i'm trying to say.

14. Orvago

Orvago Stratics' Finest
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I think I understand what you're saying and this is a great idea. I will pass it along! Thanks!

*Orvago bows*

15. Orvago

Orvago Stratics' Finest
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Here is a how-to I just wrote as a "work-around" method close to what Desperado describes. However, I like Desp's idea to be able to tell the forum itself to only show the user the desired prefixes instead of sorting them.

At the bottom of the Trade Forums there are "sorting" options to sort the threads by Prefix, this won't however hide the undesired prefixes.

- - - - -

(UO Stratics Public Forum How-To: For All Users)
    How to Search the Forums for Trade Threads for my Shard!

One may use the search function to search for Trade Thread(s) tagged with a desired prefix. To do so is quite easy, in three simple steps.

1. Left click "Search" up top for the drop down box, then left click "Advanced Search".
      • [​IMG]
    2. On the page that loads, look for the section labeled "Find Threads with Prefix" and then scroll through the list for the desired prefix(es). You may use SHIFT to select multiple prefixes. For this How-To, select "Napa Valley".
      • [​IMG]
    3. Now click the "Search Now" button on the bottom of the page.
      • [​IMG]

• About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!