1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Try turning off V-Sync

Discussion in 'UO Enhanced Client Discussion' started by Old Man of UO, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Simply put, V-Sync synchronises the game frame rate to your monitor's refresh rate at 60hz. It smoothes out jaggies if the game starts putting out video information faster than your monitor can update.

However, with game patches from earlier this year, I've noticed significant video lag and frame skipping... where whole frames were just missing and my character stuttered across the screen. The longer I played, the worse it got (memory leak?). The last Valentines Day update seemed to improve this quite a bit, though.

Playing around a bit yesterday, I turned off V-Sync, and now I got rid of the rest of the video lag. I also turned up the game frame rate to twice what my monitor's refresh rate is (150 and 75 hz) - but you can only do this with a mod such as Pinco's UI. The EC client is much more playable, and coincidently I haven't crashed to desktop. Coincidence? It's quite possible.

Try un-checking the V-Sync option to see if that helps the EC game performance; I'm curious if this helps other people. The graphics aren't buttery smooth, but performance doesn't seem to get worse the longer I play.

2. Merion

Merion Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I will give it a shot and report back on the outcome

3. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I have been running for a while with mine off for that very reason

4. So... WHY WERE YOU KEEPING IT A SECRET?

LOL

Heh... I didn't know.

If you remember waaay back to the introduction of KR, there was a discussion about using V-Synch to smooth out the jaggies. So everyone turned it on for the improvements. Now it seems better to turn it off.

5. Merion

Merion Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Hmm... I didn't notice any differences. Still lags a bit if zoomed out and a castle comes into view.

I didn't crash tonite, but that could be coincidence.

6. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I've never run with it on and I still CTD occasionally, especially around houses. But yes, I'd suggest vsync off, run full screen, and use a UI that lets you increase the FPS. It will run much more smoothly and will crash less often.