1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Trying UO after 7 years

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by eurin, Jan 5, 2009.

1. eurin

eurin Guest

Ok, so I need a lot of help. I haven't played in 7 years, and I'd like to come try out Siege. I mainly enjoyed melee characters, but with all the new skills, its hard to figure out something that would be good in pvp. I use to be a macefighter from 1997 up through UO:R.

Ok, so the skills I'm interested in for a PVP melee template

Maces/Swords
    Resisting Spells
    Anatomy
    Healing
    Tactics
    Parrying
    Bushido
    Chivalry
    Necro

I've got to narrow this down obviously for 6x120 = 720

Any comments on how these skills will fare in PVP on siege? Also, what is the situation of maces vs swords? I don't know which special weapon attacks are good.

I know it will take awhile to develop these skills, but it would be nice to know which 2 hardest to raise skills to start at 50, so I was wanting to have a good idea of what I'm working toward.

Thanks

2. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

Boy your in for a BIG surprise-the games changed ALOT...

3. archite666

archite666 Guest

All skills work the same on prodo up till 70.

Welcome to siege.

4. archite666

archite666 Guest

All those skills are good for pvp there ist any that are juss garbage, so the choice is up to your play style.

5. eurin

eurin Guest

I'll have plenty of time raising these slowly, so 'll give each a try, but are any in particular a pain to raise, either in time cost? I'm going to be restarting with nothing.

6. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Oddly enough, you can make pretty much any template you want to make work happen here. Welcome to Siege.

7. Speedy Orkit

Speedy Orkit Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

If you need any help with equipment or gold shoot me a PM, I can get you on your feet. I also suggest joining NEW and then moving on to GIL or TDO.

8. Queen Amy

Queen Amy Guest

Resisting spells will be hard to raise if you yourself don't have magery. On the other hand, many now run without resist, and just carry trapped boxes for in case they get paralized.

For necro to work, you also need spirit speak.

Weapons have speed now. Hardly anyone uses maces anymore, as they are slow. Swords are still popular. You have to have tactics along with a weapon skill, or you don't do much damage. Being strong also adds to your damage.

The best weapon special by far for pvp is mortal strike. Bleed is the second best one. There should be a place somewhere on stratics where you can look up which weapons have which specials.

Bushido is awesome. It will heal you right through poison. If you work the honor virtue along with having bushido then you can get perfection bonuses that double the damage you do.

Chivalry above 60 is pretty much useless in pvp, honestly. You need about 110 chivalry to use it reliably to cure yourself, and you can do that much easier with potions, or use bushido and you dont need to cure.

I recommend:

120 Swords
    120 Anatomy
    120 Healing
    120 Tactics
    120 Parrying
    120 Bushido and work the Honor virtue

All these raise on monsters free except for healing, so I would start with 50 heal / 50 anat. Join the NEW guild though and they will hook you up with better weapons and armor and lots of bandages.

9. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Anatomy is useless unless your gonna be with a group of friends that may need ressing. The damage increase from anat is nill so the skill is basically usefull only for ressing. Cures are easily achieved from pots now. Tactics only needs to be 90 max to be able to do both weapon specials. Again damage bonus from higher tactics is nill so don't waste the points. Resist is basically useless now due to being able to eat enchanted apples and using faction bandies (if you plan on going faction, which is highly recommended btw for pvp'ing). Trapped boxes easily take care of paralysis. What else? Oh, either meditation or focus definitely needed for mana regen. There's many other things involving pvp here, but im tired and others will prolly toss in a comment here or there.

10. Urin

Urin Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I don't understand some of what you're saying, damage bonuses from both anatomy and tactics - I believe - are linear. Are you saying it's "nil" because you'll be able to easily hit the 300% cap without taking both tactics and anatomy to 120, because I can't see how it would otherwise be "nil."

11. Naitachal_SP

Naitachal_SP Guest

I'm back to UO after about 7 years I'm guessing as well.. so much has changed, it's hard for an old school player like ourselves to know what they're getting into while first coming in.. skills fly up to 70.. I would suggest playing a bit without investing too much of your time raising skills that you're just not quite sure of. If you're sure you want something.. raise it. This is something that I'm aiming atm.. and it may change.. I've changed about 5 times already lol

Archery 120
    Tactics 90
    Healing 85
    Anatomy 85
    Ninjitsu 85
    Hiding 85
    Stealth 75
    Magery 75

All this equals 700 and my account has only been active 6 months according to them.. so..
    Not every skill has to be 120.. 90 tactics for example will give me the 2nd level special weapon attack.. healing and anatomy to rez my friends which is quite handy.. i love keeping people alive and well.. Ninjitsu at 85 for the animal form which will let me walk fast while stealthing.. 85 hiding for a "more often than not" success rate.. 75 stealth because I've been told you will never fail at this level.. and magery for gating purposes.. plus magery comes in handy for other things as well..

Like I said.. I might as well be new to the game because it's been so long since I've played.. but I'm getting back into the groove of things and I'm looking forward to getting my skills up to par for some pvp action :) Good luck and welcome back to UO!!!

12. eurin

eurin Guest

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful.

I have another question regarding the economy on Siege. I have a 4+ year veteran account, but unfortunately all my rewards were claimed years ago. How expensive is it to pick up veteran rewards, like the Ethereal Llama (i remember picking up an extra mount cheap, years ago, but on Catskills)? I'm also having trouble finding info on what different colors of soulstones mean, do I need a red soulstone from the veteran rewards?

13. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Welcome to Siege,

Rewards are generally 100k-150k per year, so I would think you could get an ethy for around 400k.

A soulstone's colour makes no difference to its abilities, they all work the same. The green ones were from the SE expansion, the blue from the 8th anniversary box and the red from the vet rewards. Can't remember which colour you get from Legacy tokens.

14. Sir Morder

Sir Morder Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Older accounts are nice for putting together luck suits (the older the account the more luck bonus). As far as damage goes, simply use test center to see the difference between 0 anatomy and 120 anatomy and the same for tactics between 90 and 120. There might only be a 4 or 5 point damage increase.

15. Queen Amy

Queen Amy Guest

Really? How does this work?

My account is 58 months.

16. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

with a luck statue. The older the account the bigger luck boost it gives.

17. eurin

eurin Guest

Pretty interesting coming back so far, I'll keep you guys up to date, plus I have a few questions.

Where can I buy weapons? I'm finding vendors from the sticky for gm leather armors easily, but I can't find any axes either GM made or magical. Should I be investing in a good magical axe and using the siege blessing?

We've got a friend who is brand new to UO, and messed up making his character. Can you train Bushido from 0 on this server? Everything says to either soulstone a new char (1 char slot though) or train from an NPC (no training on siege, is this a special case?)

We're going to pool together on a house, do house prices change? I did scout the faction towns and found the cheapest housing tool, but my character isn't 16 days old yet.

Are good vendors that hard to find, or is it slow due to the holidays? I'm needing everything from the basics to finding an ethereal llama. I'm tired of my horse taking dirt naps.

18. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Occasionally you'll find some good weapons on vendors. . but it's rare. If you haven't joined NEW yet, you should, they will get you setup with some decent weapons, armor, jewelry etc. . This would also be a good place for your friend to go who is trying to train Bushido.

19. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Yes, you'll want to spend your 50 points on Bushido to start with, or search the land for two jewels that will get you to 25 skill so you can start training. Those jewels are hard to find, as finduo.com doesnt work on Siege.

I'd spend the other 50 on your weapon skill of choice, as Necro and Chiv can be trained free with an LRC suit, which arent hard to come by.

Resist is easily raised, just get some fire elementals casting on you, they dont hurt too much, and if you have ninjitsu, you can just get in cat/dog form and heal up.

Parry is easily trained in Yew at the sheep farms, just be sure to hold a weapon you're not trained in, so you get hit more often. It is a good place to gather wool to make bandages to train healing too, as the sheep wreck your body with 1-3 hp damage!

Don't rely on chiv to get around though, Sacred Journey doesn't work here, nor does recall, you have to walk, use Gate Travel spell, or moon gates.

One last thing you'll need to know.... your attributes Str, Dex, Int can only be trained so many points per day... I forget how many, but keep it in mind, and be sure to lock the ones you dont want to gain yet.

Welcome to Siege, I look forward to looting your corpse! :)

Read my episodes and learn to fear the shadows!

http://www.unnaturalnature.com/uothief/

edit:

be sure to set focus and meditation to up arrows for the time being. They will help you with low mana pool while training, then you can lower them later when you need to free up the points. They raise passively, so there's nothing to do otherwise.

Meditation gives a Mana Regen bonus per 10 skill points.
    Focus gives a Mana Regen bonus per 20 skill points, but also regenerates stamina ( which the stamina regen rate may be on a per 10 point basis, I'm not sure ).

20. a ghoul

a ghoul Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

man nightstalker why haven't you made an episode of that journey in despise the other day :(

21. nightstalker22

Stratics Veteran

You mean the one where I fail repeatedly?

You both did a great job defending the spawn, but I still got your Katrina's crook!

I haven't had time to make episodes... and when I do log in, I'm trying to move stuff from my house to bank on Atlantic so I could collapse it and have a second house on Siege.

It will be an event house, details to follow.

22. a ghoul

a ghoul Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

i just want to be in an episode :'(
    and I just came along to defend an ally who you had apparently murdered :p

23. nightstalker22

Stratics Veteran

Nadia? All Gilfane must die! * evil grin *

What's your char name? I'll check my screen shots to see the situation.

24. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Whats your template nightstalker?

25. a ghoul

a ghoul Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

othellooo :)

26. nightstalker22

Stratics Veteran

It depends on the situation... sometimes I go home and swap skills off of my soul stones :)

ROT Training can get old quickly if you dont swap skills once in a while, and for those of us who make episodes, we have to have variety, else we lose the audience showing the same trick over and over.

My constant skills that never get stoned are:

100 Hiding ( locked )
    100 Snooping ( locked )
    _80 Stealth ( locked )
    _45 Stealing ( training )
    _69 Ninjitsu ( training )

Magery is required for Gate Travel, but I would take it off if I really needed the space.

All else is flexible... If I need Detect Hidden and Tracking, I can take away tactics or Fencing, and just use a mage weapon. If I want Spellweaving this day, I might remove another skill.

27. nightstalker22

Stratics Veteran

Ah yes... I have one screen shot from when I pulled your tab, but I didn't get any of me taking a dirt nap.... $^#&*%^$%

What did I send at you, Pixies?

I couldnt get to my smoke bombs fast enough after I sent them.

The Pixies usually work on people, rarely do they mass dispel.

28. a ghoul

a ghoul Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

hehe ya you went with the pixies...perhaps if you had more ninja you could get a quicker form to escape in :)

29. N49ATV

N49ATV Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I can tell by your stealing, you are not a power gamer, but rather a player to gain. Nice to see.

30. nightstalker22

Stratics Veteran

Getting that last point to 70 skill is taking forever! I suprise attack and no gains! I know once I hit 70, it will be a breeze.

I should have gone and tamed an ogre lord instead of the pixie attack, or had you chase me through the sparkles past the ancient wyrm, that would have been an interesting race to see who gets back to the bodies first.

One thing is certain, you don't want to see me anymore! Now that I know your secret identity, and the damage that bow does, I will be more prepared. ;)

31. a ghoul

a ghoul Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Ah...that is but one of my faces perhaps you will learn them all one day :), but seriously good fun man. People like you keep this game fun keep up the stories!!!!!!

oh ya did shadow jump stop giving you gains?

32. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Don't know if it will work on Siege, but on Europa I gained from shadow jump way past what the board FAQ said you could by treating it like training stealth and doing it in studded.