1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Turning names into attacks.

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Petra Fyde, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Must stop.

Just as Good guy isn't 'good cry', Chardonnay isn't 'tardonay', Goron isn't 'a goron'.

Please cease using such attacks.

2. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

*nods*

*grabs a big stick*

3. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

This goes for kings, queens and princesses too. It ends now. Any disrespectful posting will be handled with an extreme interpretation of the RoC.

4. Azural Kane

Azural Kane Guest

Shouldn't that be '"Goron" isn't a "Moron"'?

:fight:

5. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Petra got it right the first time.

6. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Oddly enough, I have never had to send warnings to 95% or better of the posters here on Siege Stratics. Those that have will need to get with the program or find a forum that is more suitable to their posting style.

These forums are for discussing Massively Multiplayer Online Games and the events associated with Massively Multiplayer Online Games. These guidelines are posted only to bring clarification on some issues where there have been questions in the past. Stratics could not be any happier with the quality of posts provided by its participants and it is our desire to provide an environment that is conducive to discussions about Massively Multiplayer Online Games. In general, what we're describing here is a code of conduct and if all of our participants will subscribe to this code of conduct most of these rules will be easily observed.

A. Show respect at all times.

B. Help build the Community.
    The success of our forums depends upon the quality posts of our participants. We are proud of the success of our forums and give our thanks to those who have chosen to make our forums their out-of-game home. To ensure continued success we are posting these guidelines so that all participants of the Stratics forums understand what is considered unacceptable behavior in the forums and can result in a temporary suspension or a permanent ban.

C. Personal attacks are prohibited.This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum, especially in a personal way.

D. Trolling is prohibited.Trolling is whenever someone is clearly, deliberately posting in a manner for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the other participants of the board. Trolling DOES NOT encourage further discussion in the long run, it only encourages personal attacks (if left unchecked).

You have all seen these before. You all agreed to these rules and more see the FAQ if you have any questions or concerns.

7. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Might want to mention where the forum that does allow personal attacks is located. I'm sure the regulars over on OT would enjoy some new meat...la

8. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

You do it. They already hate me...

9. TheScoundrelRico

For those of you interested in personally attacking other Siege players, there is a small seldom used forum called Off Topic. It's a place where "no holds barred" is the moto.

Feel free to join the fun...link...just tell them Kelmo sent ya, lol...la

10. Turtle

Turtle Guest

Is Kelmoderator off limits?

11. TheScoundrelRico

He doesn't have a shield over there, so if you wish to personally attack him there...it can be done. You can even use those awful cuss words too...la

12. Scuzzlebutt

Scuzzlebutt Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Are we allowed to, *gulps*, speak the truth over there?

13. TheScoundrelRico

Hell, as long as you don't threaten to kill someone irl or post pr0n, you can post just about anything...truth or lies...la

14. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Does that rule out Haha? :lick:

15. HaHa

HaHa Guest

16. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

He said prOn not poop.

17. Tigsalot

Tigsalot Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

18. Idico

Idico Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Don't forget I dic O......I am still crying about this one!:loser:

19. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

Or would that be better said that you only have personal issues with 5% of the posters here on Siege Stratics?

Also isn't continuing to attack and warn the same 5% for the exact same thing the other 95% is doing a form of trolling?

20. Speedy Orkit

Speedy Orkit Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

I'm calling him Quellmo from now on!!!! Because he silences the people!

21. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

*smiles*

22. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

Add Kelmod to that list too... hell, any kind of clever approach at sparing with words should be banned.

Lets all hold hands and sing 4 year old sesame street songs together because you all want to moderate as you go.

There's no problem with it other than the problem you guys make up. You, Kelmo and Mo apparently make it an issue and this its ridiculous.

23. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

Dude your going to get banned if you do...

No creativity at all man... its against the ROC

24. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Creativity is fine. Juvenile name calling is not.

25. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

26. Avo

Avo Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I want a nickname too!!!

27. Petra Fyde

I'm truly sorry you feel our modding is 'crappy'. We do the best we can. Of course since you don't actually know who we gave what infractions/warnings to and for what offence I'm not sure how you're judging us.

28. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

It's pretty simple, really. When the same people repeat the same offense over and over and over and over again (literally, going back years) then it is obvious nothing is being done about it.

29. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

I didn't say that I feel your modding is 'crappy'

I said that stratics allows crappy moderating to take place... and even mocked how they hide behind their crappy job performance.

But with regards to this thread.. this new rule is silly, juvenile and serves no purpose. Like really... if someone wants to be that annoying that we give them a condescending nick name (not a personal attack and so on/so forth) then who gives a **** for good cause.

No one... not even you mods.

30. Petra Fyde

Not really a new rule, just trying to enforce existing ones. Turning someone's name into something derogatory is a personal attack.

We do, honestly, try to moderate the board, and do it fairly. There's certainly no shortage of people telling us what to do and how to do it! http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=inboxxo0.jpg
    It's incredibly difficult to decide what constitutes 'board pvp' and what is that step too far, ie a troll Reading those messages and trying to decide 'Is this complaint justified?' 'Do I need to take action?'. 'What reply should I send?' No one ever considers their post to be a troll, only ever the other guy's.

And of course the only response I'll get for saying that is 'if you don't like it, quit' :(

Will you at least give me credit for trying?

31. Goron

Goron Guest

I don't think BR gets it...
    He doesn't seem to realize that stratics is NOT public domain...
    I absolutely love when people come to a private website and whine about not being able to express "freedom of speech"... ... lol...

BR, if you hate stratics so much, why don't you go make your own website and set your own rules? You can call me names all you want on your own website.

Or, are you still intent on proving your point that Stratics is suppressing your freedom of speech on a private website... ... lol:loser:

32. Revvo

Revvo Slightly Crazed

Hush Pepper Fried !!

33. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

It actually simpler than that.

If BR doesn't think giving someone a condescending nickname doesn't apply to this ROC:
    D. Trolling is prohibited.Trolling is whenever someone is clearly, deliberately posting in a manner for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the other participants of the board. Trolling DOES NOT encourage further discussion in the long run, it only encourages personal attacks (if left unchecked).

Then that's unfortunate. For someone who tells other people to do their research, he's certainly fallen short of his own advice on this one.

I know I would consider someone condescending me in any form to be insulting, I sure BR would as well, but I guess if you personally consider someone annoying then rules need not apply.

34. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

I like Petra, and I'll give you credit for been a fair mod, but can you and Mo, and the other one at least give me some credit for never ever hitting the report button?

35. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

A very good example of what makes this issue even harder on the mods. What is a bit of light hearted chain yanking/leg pulling, and what is malicious and trolling?

36. Sheridan

Sheridan Guest

If you really want to complain about the moderator staff here on Stratics, I'd suggest you do it through the proper channels (emailing the forum admins) and not via thinly veiled jabs at the staff themselves. I don't moderate this forum, but I see what goes on behind the scenes and I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mo, kelmo, and Petra. This is probably one of the most difficult forums to moderate on the Stratics network and they do an outstanding job of it.

As it's been said already in this thread, this isn't a new rule, it's merely enforcing one that's been in place all this time.

37. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

guess u missed the links with poop in the pr0n. :coco:

38. Turtle

Turtle Guest

Your support is appreciated. Please send all nominal donations to:

Lady Vitamin D
    13 Church Harbor
    Sunnyville, East Dakota 01011

39. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

I think the situation here is that neither of you actually get it... let alone get what I'm actually saying.

The Siege forum obviously stretches the generally accepted blanket rules stratics tries to impose upon all its forums... we can do this because the entire ROC is generalities in the form of vague blanket statements... basically letting mods moderate (to a large degree) how they see fit. And if you have a problem... that's not so serious... they could give a flying **** less. Just email them... and find out, if these words and peoples experiences aren't enough.

Petra, Mo and Kelmo run the Siege boards and from our temperaments and theirs... we decide what is acceptable and what isn't on these forums. This new rule, is total elephant turd. One, two or all 3 of them at some point decided for the rest of us that we can't handle creatively 'bashing' each others in game persona's... great, the thought police exercised their right to do what they want without regard to the people who post here. Did we all as a group think these names are some how offensive? No. I'd bet my dollars worth that the vast majority think its harmless banter... but lets hide behind the vague ROC and an email address and call it a day.

Pure politik.

This entire issue isn't just about us... the players on Siege. Not about them. It really is an us versus them issue and it's obvious you don't comprehend your own position on the subject. If you did, then why the hell are any of us able to post here since damn near 95% of the posters on this board break what the crappy-ass moderators on the other forums would call the ROC.

All I see in this thread is one faction shooting sunshine and rainbows up our asses and the other faction giving the bird back.

I think it's obvious which side I'm on.

[sarcasm]Lets ban board PvP while we're at it too. After all, I can point out a bunch of ROC's that's broken when we board PvP... [/sarcasm

40. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

That is quite interesting BR... What do you base your findings on? Pure conjecture you say? Indeed.

I can assure you that many have taken exception to the "creative" bashing that occurs here. You will have to trust me on that one. You can keep your dollars...

If the "board PvP" does not ramp down, it too will come under scrutiny. That is a promise...

I will lock this thread as it should have been earlier. I had a soft moment. This is not a debate. It is policy. Do not bring it up again.

Signed... The thought cop.

41. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

It is worth one more view, just to make sure everyone is on the same page.

It is kinda cool that mods can respond to locked threads. *nods*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!