1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

two stupid questions

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Anon McDougle, Sep 19, 2011.

1. why do i have to force my lumberjack to be a carpenter ?? what tool do i need to make a log into a board ??

2. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

hit the log with an axe

3. Leather Lucy

Leather Lucy Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Just your axe now, double-click it and target the wood, they changed it a while back :)

4. SixUnder

SixUnder Legendary Assassin
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

1. because you have to know the material you are working with or i should say how to work the material before you can use it.

2. hatchet.

same goes for mining:lol:

5. Kayne

Kayne Guest

One difference with mining is that Blacksmithy is not required for smelting only mining skill.

6. Right this is how it should be for LJing as well!

7. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

You no longer have to have Carpentry on when making logs into boards.

8. Kayne

Kayne Guest

I was about to say no and disagree then I realised if you think about a real lumberjack he knows how to get his huge great tree into usable wood/logs and he doesn't necessarily have carpentry skills.

However it seems that Carpentry is no longer a requirement which is great since I no longer run my carpenter and lumberjack on the same char anyway without knowing this.

9. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

A real LJ drops trees, then they are pulled down/up a mountain by a MULE where they are delimbed and placed on a trailer or in the water and delivered to the mill. A grader then grades them and they are cut up into logs for log cabins or lumber. A LJ does not do this, the millers/graders do.

10. Kayne

Kayne Guest

Thanks for that.

11. Elden of Baja

Elden of Baja Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Concepts from games often do not come from RL, Instead, Producers/Designers acquire them from a much more convenient location.... Their !@#

12. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Guys, Carpentry hasn't been required for turning logs to boards for at least a couple years, now.

Frodo is correct. Very few lumberjacks have any sort of carpentry skill in RL, unless you count making primitive furniture by hacking a few pieces off a log (or chainsaw sculpting). Been that way for hundreds of years. Typically only self-sufficient frontier types had the ability to both log and craft from the wood, and they did not really do either well.

IIRC, even fletchers can make boards now.

As for mining/blacksmith parallels.

Mining: Used to dig up and smelt raw ore
    Blacksmith: Does not require mining to work the metal into finished items, but DOES require mining to recover metal by melting down waste items (metals recoverable goes by mining skill, and amount is 0.66% times the mining skill, so that one has to have 101.1 mining skill to get 2/3 back).