1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Tyball's Shadow

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Quenchant, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Quenchant

Quenchant Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend 4H

So, I'm bored with imbuing and I start to get distracted. I decide to take a break and go do the underworld key quest so I can take my archer into the Abyss.

I check the equipment for repairs, and insurance. Check the backpack for stock and add to the total that I usually carry. - 12 Greater Heal, 10 Greater Cure, 7 Refresh, 5 Greater Agility, 3 Greater Strength and 5 Greater Explosions, 300 Band aids, 391 bolts in the quiver, which I figure is enough.

Now, I knew that had buffed up Tyball but I think it is a little ridiculous to have him this tough for a dungeon entrance quest. It took me a little over 20 minutes to drop him. At the end of killing him, I had the 3 greater strengths left, 116 band aids and 3 bolts.

Now, this arhcer isn't a wimp.
    120 Archery
    115 Resist
    110 Focus
    109 Tactics
    100 Anatomy
    100 Healing
    91 Chiv

Suit is: 72/77/86/67/63
    Stats Are: 97/135/60 = 108 Hps, 143 Stam, 60 Mana
    Extras: DI 89%, HCI 55%, HPR 6, Reflect 29%
    Bow for this trip: Crossbow - Balanced, 47% Velocity, SSI 35%, 100% physical.

Also, I ping 63 to this shard.

Now, I probably play my mages better than my dexxers, but for PvM an archer is pretty easy to play. I've got all the macros I need for him programmed into my Fang. While I wouldn't call this char elite, he is above average in skills, suit and stats. So if it takes this char a little over 20 minutes to kill Tyball, how long would it take for an average char to solo him?

I understand he was being camped for robes and some people weren't doing enough damage to get the Key. It seems the solution would have been one robe per char and a little buff of the hit points. I just think, as Tyball is now, it is a little extreme for a dungeon entrance quest.

What's an average or new char to do if they want to go to the Abyss?

Q

2. Farsight

Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Still, if you can't kill Tyball's Shadow, then it's unlikely you'll survive long in the Abyss.

That is, unless all you want to do is Sutek's quest. Anyone can do that.

Anyway, if I find a new character who wants to enter the Abyss, I'll usually offer my services as tank, making sure to stop hitting the shadow by the time it's half dead.

3. Phaen Grey

Phaen Grey Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

In the last nerf to Tyball they made it so all you have to be is in the room when he dies. I don't think you even have to hit him to get the key now. I really think some thought needs to be put into the "fixes" that are coming down all they seem to do is hurt the weaker/honest player more than punish those abusing the system.

Not to derail this thread but if you can get anyone to go in and help kill Tyball, especially a tamer there should be no issue getting a key.

4. Potgut

Potgut Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Tyball is the kind of guy that I like to tank, I can kill him within 4 minutes with a soulseeker. Yesterday was a good day for me, I got 2 of his shrouds after killing him only 6 times.

5. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Do you have a pre-patch time that you can compare the new time to? As I recall he was pretty hard for some people, not so hard for others. Haven't killed him since the first week though.

6. ejpeters

ejpeters Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

He got a lot more difficult. I brought my archer in and was surprised at how much harder he was.

7. Farsight

Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Prepatch time was measured in seconds rather than minutes with a good dexxer or tamer. For my friends without min/maxed templates or pets, some of them couldn't kill Tyball's Shadow without some help (typically a "can you come res me?" after they gave it the old college try).

8. Amren

Amren Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

this fight is ez mode.

we need more challenge in UO.

9. Shamus Turlough

Shamus Turlough Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

As it stood on release day, I killed him in 2 critical shots from a bushido archer. Tried him recently, timed at about 2 minutes.

(20 minutes? Honestly? Wow...)

10. I run 120 arch
    120 anat
    120 resist
    120 med
    120 tactics
    120 healing

and killed him in under 2 minutes using my normal pvp crossbow :thumbsup:

11. Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Barter Town

They would go to an average dungeon for average characters. Not every dungeon has to be scaled from 0-120 from start to finish.

:thumbsup:

12. ACB1961

ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Did they buff him? We've got 12 or 14 chars that have killed him, but I didn't notice the difference. I definitely killed him after the patch though. I think he was already hard the first time I got around to him.

13. Restroom Cowboy

Restroom Cowboy Visitor

Please :lie:...be truthful here. I can kill this thing with my mule in less than 10 minutes...and I have no eval and only 85 magery.

14. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

I have a few archers and dexxers I'd like to run through there. Any recommendations on slayer weapons and talismans to use? Not quite sure which slayer group, if any, Tyball falls into.

15. Dol'Gorath

Dol'Gorath Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Abyss expansion is for advanced players. New players have no business in there anyway. I did fine with a multi GM character with a few 110 skills.

16. Quenchant

Quenchant Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend 4H

My point was that the Abyss is already scaled this way, from very difficult to very easy (if your not going to do the reknown bosses). Should the entrance quest, be more difficult than some of the spawn.

It is an accurate time, it was timed by the number of EoO's used. Each one for me is 215s = 3.6 minutes. I was getting ready to cast the 7th when he went down. I have no problems killing him on a mage. I suspect his cold and energy resists are low.

I didn't use any specials on him as I would prefer to use Consecrate weapon and divine fury to keep the 4 second aids going. The other issue was, getting him close to red line, it would seem I would miss 4 times in a row. He was healing all the time and back up to, 1/3 health by the time I would hit again.

The damage I was doing on him was about 55 - 65 w/ EoO and consecrate.
    The damage he was doing to me was about 24 for flame strikes, 23 for ebolts, 19 for explosion. Not uncommon to loose 50 hps within a couple seconds.

I'll try it tonight on one of my swords guy who still needs the key to gain entrance.

IMO, I think it is a bit extreme for a dungeon entrance quest.

Q

17. Restroom Cowboy

Restroom Cowboy Visitor

Is that char for pvm or pvp btw? I think there are a number of directions you could go to make that template more effective in either case.

If you are doing pvm...lose the resist and carry a trapped box. Use the skill left over for bushido...and carry a proper AI comp bow with ya. EoO, honor, and armor ignore is all you need to turn that awful time back 15 or so minutes.

18. jfkeach

jfkeach Guest

Seriously, I DO NOT THINK that any char should be in a dungeon, especially one like the abyss. Personally, I hate seeing YOUNG players in dungeons. I think it should be difficult to gain entrance.

19. legendsguy

legendsguy Sage
    Stratics Veteran

so true, so true. and clearly if it took this guy 20min to kill tybal, he's just not ready for the abyss 8) don't weaken tybal, learn how to fight

20. maroite

maroite Guest

Yeah make the game even LESS attractive for new players. lol

BTW, the abyss is the ONLY dungeon available for new gargoyle players to access, that drops gear usable by them. Its amazing really, make an expansion with a new race, limit what the race can wear/use, and then make the dungeon that drops those usable items require you do already have decent gear. lol:thumbdown:

21. Maplestone

Maplestone Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

You can gain access through the shrine of singularity quest without having to have Tyball at all. Even lower end characters can nibble at the edges of spawn in the abyss. I'm not a fan of a super-tough Tyball, but if I don't want to face him, I don't have to.