1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Ultima Forever Gets Lord British, and Mythic Goes Mobile

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Woodsman, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

UO's "sister" (or "brother") title, Ultima forever is going to get Lord British after all, sort of. And it may have happened over lunch - Ultima Franchise Producer jskalski and BioWare Creative Director Paul Barnett had lunch with Richard Garriott.

Ultima Forever: Lord British Approves : Ultima Forever @ UltimaCodex.com

Lord British Will, Apparently, Be In Ultima Forever (Sort Of) : Ultima Forever @ UltimaCodex.com

Also we get a bunch of screenshots. Mythic Entertainment Publishes Ultima Forever Page, Screenshots, Concept Art : Ultima Forever @ UltimaCodex.com

And if you go to the Mythic page and look at careers Mythic is switching to mobile.
    Makes sense, none of the MMORPGs are labeled Mythic anymore, just EA and BioWare.

In Jeff's letter to the UO players a few months ago, he talked about Ultima Forever a bunch. I hope that he sees this thread since I @ him, and maybe talks a bit about it and how it will help UO since he has implied that they support/promote each other. He even said that the Ultima Forever site will promote UO and UO will promote Ultima Forever.

2. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Very classy RG...now plz get involved in UO again

CovenantX likes this.
  3. Joey Porter

Joey Porter Guest

Nice move. I bet RG's study smells of rich mahogany and leather bound books.

4. Jynxx

Jynxx Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter ShadowStorm

Just for fun today I looked up Garriott's page on Wikipedia. Here's a fun snippet from the page:

-----------
    Garriott founded the company Portalarium in 2009 with the intent of developing and publishing games for the emerging social network market.[3] The company will be launching a massively multiplayer spiritual successor to the Ultima series, though Garriott has remarked that if he were to secure the rights to the Ultima intellectual property from Electronic Arts, the game could literally become Ultima Online 2.[18][19][20][21]

It's fun to dream, anyway.

5. Shakkara

Shakkara Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I'm not going to play any game that is not on the PC.

I'm not going to play any game that has levels.

This new game isn't Ultima, it's an abomination that exploits the Ultima name for profit. A true successor of Ultima would not have levels nor classes.

#5 Shakkara, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    Lightfoot, MedeaDF, MalagAste and 2 others like this.
  6. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

There was an earlier statement from EA pretty much saying that they realised they should branch out into the mobile/linux market so I expect they will certainly be hiring mobile folks to bring that forward. Good to see them doing that.

UF will work on the PC, it's just also going to work on mobile devices. I hope they get the android and linux markets tapped with it soon too, but given the size of the android market I doubt it'll take them too long. It would be good to see the Ultima franchise move out cross platform.

As to whether it's Ultima or not, it's a different game under the same franchise, that's all. Just like Lord of Ultima. If they want to appeal to a different market and demographic then they will do the game differently.

I'm looking forward to trying it to see what they've done. Quite honestly, I don't care if it looks and plays totally differently to UO - as long as it's good, entertaining and contributes to the franchise coffers. It's not UO, but while UO has a lot of wonderful stuff in it, it's also badly broken in many ways. It's a mammoth task to fix and realistically I don't think the changes I want will ever happen. The community here seem to want a totally different game to the sort I like, so a fresh start will be good for some of us.

Wenchy

Viquire likes this.
  7. Cear Dallben Dragon

Cear Dallben Dragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

You can play this game on PC

Several Ultima games had both levels and classes.

The more Ultima the better IMO. Lord of ultima didn't hurt anyone.
    I am more than excited to see Ultima come back in any way shape or form.
    Ultima games have always been how I make them out to be in my mind.
    Give me a ultima title and tell me not to have a great time, its not going to happen.

8. Promathia

Promathia EM Bennu Fanclub
    Premium Stratics Veteran

+1

People really need to either 1. Know the original Ultima games and 2. Read about Ultima Forever before they start bashing it.

Viquire likes this.
  9. Coldren

Coldren Sage
    Stratics Veteran

*Chuckles*

I remember when RG first announced that URPG was going to be mobile, and everyone freaked out.. Think that was, what, a year or more ago? But now that EA is doing it, well.. that's just good business sense.

Suppose he knew what he was talking about way back when, eh?

And for the record, do not expect URPG to be UO2.. It won't be, it's not intended to be, and never was.

#9 Coldren, Oct 13, 2012
  10. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

The "spiritual successor"... Uo2 with RG at the helm doing things his way would be great btw

LiquidSolidity likes this.
  11. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Woodsman,

Thank for continuing to follow up and reporting the progresses you find.

12. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

You do know that the Ultima Prime series was a Level-based game don't you? Granted they weren't as overbearing as Diablo, but they WERE level based.

I am also fairly certain that "profit" was the motive behind the Ultima series in the first place.

#12 Dermott of LS, Oct 13, 2012
    Viquire likes this.
  13. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

And classes, it worked out that you were all classes at the end game for most of the titles, but there were distinct class types.

14. Spiritless

Spiritless Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

There are classes in UO and always have been. You just have the option to deviate, usually ineffectively. :p

Juan de Fuego likes this.
  15. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Anyone gotten into Ultima Forever beta?