1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Ultima Franchise

Discussion in 'UO Developer Feed' started by UODevTracker, Sep 16, 2011.

1. UODevTracker

UODevTracker Guest

2. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

OMG, why would you do that to me?? ;-)

Actually, I bring up that very idea just about every 3 months. But the cost in time and resources for that would be... substantial.

-Grimm

3. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Those models, while fine for their time, are pretty close to quake level tech. For any 3D endeavor to be worthwhile, it would need to at least be able to hold up to tech of this decade.

-Grimm

4. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Actually, there are TONS of benefits to 3D assets, and not just the ones mentioned by Woodsman and others. And I loved the animated paperdolls as well!

-Grimm

5. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Oh yea, sometimes I just bring it up to put other ideas I have in perspective. But yea, it comes up.

-Grimm

6. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

It might have dynamic lighting from a technical point of view, but as far as I know, it doesn't have dynamic lighting as I think of the term. As for 3D terrain, yes it does have 3D terrain as in polys that have textures mapped to them. The classic client terrain is a combination of the two.

7. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Harder in some ways, easier in others. 2D for UO we knew and knew well. A 3D client would have required a lot more engineers than we had at the time (and we had quite a few). And we had a lot more hurdles to clear in the same amount of time if we went 3D. Not the least of which was figuring out a way to support the Legacy and a brand new 3D client that would have to use the exact same server hardware for both clients so that 2 players using 2 different clients from 2 different eras could play together, and we would need to figure out how we were going be able to produce artwork for what might as well be 2 completely different games without having to make each asset twice. At that time I was still having nightmares about supporting 2D and Third Dawn clients, and I was determined that we were NEVER going to create assets for the 3D client and use them in the 2D because I had seen the results of this in publishes prior to my arrival, and actually MADE them in Samurai and Mondains. They looked awful- truly awful and completely out of place in the Legacy client.

There were tons of other things and given all the resources we had to work with, the decision was made to go 2D. It was a hard made decision and there were many, many meetings about this. Oddly enough I found a document I wrote up with all the pros of going 3D. It's a hard fact of game development that sometimes you have to choose plan B because you simply don't have the time and/or resources to do what you want and or love to do.

Best,
    Grimm

8. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

My pleasure, actually I've enjoyed this thread a great deal! Thanks to everyone who's contributed! Although it's late now and I got one more post in menbefore bedtime (besides, I'm typing on my iPod which ain't easy)

- Grimm

9. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

Haha! Sorry to disappoint! Generally I don't slip. But who knows, maybe one day I might slip and tell you guys that we're < message redacted > !

Who knows!?

-Grimm

10. TheGrimmOmen

TheGrimmOmen UO Legend

And I would like to take a second to let everyone know that art never takes that opinion. As Canary says, art is our job, and doing your job despite whatever emotional stuff come up is a mark of professionalism. Although Canarys comment about not getting artwork for years is a mistype I believe, because nothing could be further from the truth.

-Grimm