1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Ultima Online on iPad?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by TheScoundrelRico, Oct 23, 2014.

1. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Is this even possible?

Just curious if I would be able to us an iPad to play UO? I know game play would be fairly limited since if I were to do this, I wouldn't have an external keyboard or mouse hooked up to it.

Has anyone tried? Success...Failure?...la

2. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

You can using like a PC share app. I forget what it's called because I only used the trial. But it is very limited mostly because movement sucks. But I guess you could use it to chat or check vendors. But it becomes a pain very fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

There are several desktop mirroring apps for the ipad and android platforms. You usually have to install a small parent app on your pc or mac as well. Depending on the speed of your connection and the age of your tablet, results will vary greatly.

You're not going to be doing any PvP or other speed associated activity. But gump related activities should work. You'll also need a Bluetooth keyboard and keep in mind you'll have no mouse.

I've played via rdc on my iPad to my pc. I wasn't able to do much and the lag took a mountain of patience.

TheScoundrelRico likes this.
  4. TheScoundrelRico

Psst, hey Broadsword...

Create a UO iPad app. While I understand playing UO would be difficult, it would be nice to be able to log in and do a few mundane tasks when we are out of the house or away from our laptops...la

Obsidian likes this.
  5. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

Ha! I believe we'll see the promised OS X and Linux ports long before a mobile app is developed. Shouldn't be long now. I believe the Mac app was being worked on back in 2001. :p

6. TheScoundrelRico

I'd love to see UO start leaning toward a system like Order and Chaos has setup (of course they would need to include all of the existing UO systems). I played that for awhile and it was playable on my iphone. :) ...la

7. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

Oooh. I still play Neverwinter Gateway on my android and iPhone (yah I carry both cause that's how I roll) so I can craft and participate in events. ^^

8. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

wasnt mythic specializing / failing at phones games and stuff?

9. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Babbling Loonie

UO barely runs on my laptop lol

10. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Is you cpu carved out of soapstone or something? :p

Victim of Siege likes this.
  11. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Trade Forum Administrator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter

I can't even imagine how someone would play UO on an Ipad lol...and then of course we would hear "bro he only killed me cause I'm on an ipad" a million times in general chat.

12. I was there the other day

Haven't tried on an iPad but on a Surface Pro 3 it is running smooth.

13. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Babbling Loonie

It's got Windows 8 lol. It's new. It was a black Friday 150 buck special. I got it so when I go to our cottage I wouldn't have to pack up the desk top since it's a pain. Problem is a really weak video card and I don't think I can do anything about it. Since then I bought a nice HP, but it still isn't like playing on my desk top. I'm a desk top kinda guy. Easy to upgrade and a massive monitor :) I have one of the original Alienwares. I love the case. Everything inside the case has been replaced at least once. Currently it's running an I5 processor which works good for me. But anyway UO isn't going to run on a phone or Ipad lol. At least I certainly don't see anyone doing a champion spawn on one lol. Just because something might load doesn't mean it will run, lol.

14. TheScoundrelRico

Ewww, nice alternative.

I may have to look at that, especially since I've never really been a Mac guy...la

15. James Moriarty

James Moriarty Journeyman
    M8s

Windows 8 is the problem, its hogging too many resources. I had a similar problem with my sons new laptop. Once i down graded it to windows 7 it ran everything 10X faster

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  16. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

Windows 8 is pretty clean once you remove all the bloatware that it ships with on most pcs.

If you uninstall whatever stupid virus package the manufacture ships with a new pc you can speed it up as much as 55%.

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  17. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

I had it running on a Dell 8 inch tablet i picked up on sale for $170. it ran great, but the screen was tiny and movement was awkward. I could craft and do minor things on it easily though.

18. TheScoundrelRico

I'm just thinking about being able to do minor things, not necessarily play full time on it. I'm still getting accustomed to playing on my laptop without a mouse, lol...la

Merlin likes this.
  19. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Campaign Patron UWF

Agreed. Tablets seem to be where the next generation of computing is being geared toward, so the UO Devs should be considering something (a special tablet based client, perhaps).

Being able to check vendors, sort through chests at my house, crafting and some other minor game play would be very convenient to do without having to necessarily be sitting at a desktop or laptop. The movement controls in the current Ultima Avatar tablet game isn't bad, so if it could be mirrored off of that it should be smooth enough to be used somewhat regularly.

Val'lyn De'ana likes this.