1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Ultima Online's true birthday is September 25th or 30th ?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by popps, Sep 7, 2010.

1. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

My opinion is the 25th but a friend says the 30th.

Who's right ?

2. SixUnder

SixUnder Legendary Assassin

sept 25th

my account was made on the 28th and beta was out 3 days before

3. Cear Dallben Dragon

Cear Dallben Dragon Babbling Loonie

4. Tazar

Tazar Guest

5. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

6. Gem

Gem Lore Keeper
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Actually, if memory has not failed me, some of us were able to have beta accounts in August....and anyone who complains about lag nowadays has no idea about lag--try ten minutes to cross a screen :)

7. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I member playing back in october of 08 at a friends house... didnt get my own account till that xmas cause i was a broke HS student at the time heh.

Good times back then.

8. JC the Builder

JC the Builder Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Wikipedia used to say it was the 27 or 28 until I changed it to 25. I was going by an article from 1997 which said it was released on the 25.

It appears that former community manager Wilki got the release date from Wikipedia and used that to announce the 10th Anniversary, which is now cited as the source.

9. SixUnder

SixUnder Legendary Assassin

yep

dont ya know we had the most powerful pcs back then, ahahahah people dont even know.. and it was just about 100% dial up

10. Pfloyd

Pfloyd Colorblind Collector

They were called Charter Edition accounts...if you played beta you know that when we failed to save Lord British the daemons invaded all the towns killing guards and everyone and then those accounts were deactivated. We only had one week to play before anyone else but that was only Atlantic and Pacific server anyways. Plus we had a few reverts where we lost days of play.

11. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

25th. I'm not likely to forget, September 25th was my father's birthday.

12. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

wow you must have been running one of the first speed hacks. Take one step wait wait wait wait take another step wait wait wait wait LOL

13. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

I kept notes. What I have is that UO was shipping the Charter Editions on Sept. 24th, and the first people to receive them was on the 25th (me included).

Now, I thought for sure that I had a note in my official handbook that UO went live on the 27th. But I don't see it there, so I can't confirm that. But if memory serves me right, they didn't open the servers for a couple of days to allow people to get their games. So I'm pretty sure that the first server opening was on the 27th.

14. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

Also, confirming my own memory, Sept. 27th, 1997, was a Saturday. I believe that UO went live at noon (EST) on this day, to allow as many as possible to start playing right away. Raph Koster took note of the very first player to log in, and contacted him (from a comment at his blog/used-to-be-site). But I don't know who that was.

Edit to add: This part I'm not too sure about, but I think they brought up GL first, then an hour later brought up Atl., then followed in another hour by Pac. (GL, being more centrally located, was the shard of choice by many followers, the reason for it's preference.)

15. cdavbar

cdavbar Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

16. THP

THP Stratics Legend

Pretty certain it was the 27th for sure...seems some one as changed it on wiki for no good reason

17. Nok

Nok Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

This discussion has become an annual event every year since the first anniversary. Nice to watch the tradition continue.

:popcorn:

18. popps

popps Always Present

And still, after 13 years now, there is no complete certainty of which is the 100% sure birth day of Ultima Online.................

19. Cear Dallben Dragon

Lets put this to rest

Date of Publication: 1997-09-27

if someone who is good with wiki's could change that it would be nice.

20. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

Well, UO's official stance is that UO was "published" on the 25th. Their 10 year anniversary was on that date. That was the date that people first received copies, which if memory serves me was how they planned it (this included stores). The way I see it, IF it went live on the 27th, that's a separate thing that should be noted also. But we don't have that documented, so I think it would be better to leave it alone for now.

I don't think even UO, under whatever guise (EA, Mythic, whatever) even has anything concrete on this other than the date of the 25th.

21. ChReuter

ChReuter Guest

Oh come on, beta was not that bad... Unless you were using a machine such as I did which was well below the stated system reqs. (I think the req back than was 133mhz? Which I didn't come near) Somehow I had it working... Kinda?

Oh and because people have commented on beta. I miss RoF and that crazy character Bubba.

EDIT: Opps! Totally forgot that I wanted to comment on the original question. For reasons unknown as I never cared to check, I have Sept 25th stuck in my head as the release date. I know I started my account on the official day but didn't get a chance to log in really till two or three days later. (I suppose the addiction had not set in yet?) I could very well be wrong on date though and sadly I can't check my account info as it was stolen during my multi-year absence from the game. :<

Oh and really... Does it matter? I don't want to knock someone for seeking information regarding a beloved past time, but it just seems a bit extreme to worry about a few days. Sept 97 has always been fine for me, but that's just me, more power to you I guess.

22. Pfloyd

rtlfc

My charter edition box was 2nd day aired and says it shipped the 09/24/97 and if i remember i wasn't pissed about paying the extra as it did arrive 2nd day air.
    :thumbup1:

23. Pfloyd

This is why i ordered mine 2nd day air if i remember right as getting it sooner wouldn't change when i could use it.

24. Gem

Gem Lore Keeper
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

And who still has their original box and cloth map?

I do :)

25. JC the Builder

Stratics Veteran

Going by the Internet Archive-=:

- September 23, 1997 - The beta ends
    - September 24, 1997 - The charter edition is shipped out
    - For some reason there are no news updates until November 4, 1997 =[

But now that information seems to be in conflict as there is a letter dated September 23 which says there is a beta ending event "tomorrow" (september 24).

I also found a letter detailing why the infamous Rainz was banned. Before we only knew he was kicked for exploiting beta bugs. This says he was mass killing players with them being unable to fight back, forcing them to leave the beta test.

I could not find any other news on the official UO website indicating what date the game launched on. Who knows if September 25 is the correct date or not. It is just the most reliable date available.

26. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

That takes me back, JC. It was a magical time full of expectations. Even the boards were full of interesting things. Lore, game mechanics...

There was a guy who pulled something on, I think it was Auric's Ultima Moongates message boards. He acted out two extremes in a very good roleplayed deception. Back in those days, your IP address was listed with your post, and he used two different ones, it was later assumed (after he was discovered) one was from work and the other from home because of the times of postings.

He had two names he posted under.

One was "Blade", the common persona of a PK kid, going to teach everyone to fear him, going to kill everyone and be the most famous PKer evar.

The other was "The Pilgrim Barbasol", and here he really shined. This persona was the ultimate roleplayer, going to go on his pilgrimage to visit each and every one of the Shrines. He didn't care about power, building his character, gold, anything. He just wanted to travel the lands, on foot, in his modest and austere life in Sosaria and in his sojourn to pay tribute to the virtues via the Shrines.

And the two, at first, did not cross post. This went on for at least a month. Blade had everyone hating him, challenging him to "prove it", etc. While The Pilgrim Barbasol had many offering to help him, to protect him, to do whatever was needed to lend a hand to this modest and mild mannered man of virtue.

Then Blade started replying to Barbasol's posts, saying he'd kill him every day, he'd kill anyone who tried to protect him, etc., typical PK geek talk. And Barbasol was ever the modest roleplayer, the meek pilgrim who would travail onward despite all difficulties.

Until one of these personas posted with the other's IP address, and the gig was up. It was then that people realized, "Barbasol" is a shaving cream, and of course "Blade".

27. Andsteel

Andsteel Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I still have the map and the pamphlets that came with the box but no box.

28. popps

popps Always Present

Personally, I think that Ultima Online's correct birth day should be the exact day that the servers where turned on for players to play.

Not considering the beta, of course, but the very first day the servers where online and available for use from those players who had received the published game.

29. Pfloyd

Same :)
    Everything including the Dungeon Keeper ad hehe

30. Zym Dragon

Zym Dragon Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

As I recall, the Beta ended on Wed the 24th and the live servers were turned on the 25th for the Charter Ed owners. I remember being upset that my Charter Ed didn't arrive. I ended up buying a regular copy on the 28th.

Personally, I think the date should be the 25th since that's when the live servers were first turned on. If the servers were opened up to everyone else on the 27th, then I can see where the confusion comes from.

31. Setnaffa

Setnaffa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I believe the servers went live on the 25th. I didn't receive the game in the mail until the 26th, which is the first day I logged into the game. I pretty much played 24 hours a day for the first 3 days.

I still have the original Charter Edition box and all the parts.

32. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

UO is the servers, not the physical game disks. The game is merely a UI to the game Ultima Online, thats why they're called "clients".

33. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

Well, I agree. But it's hard to argue with an official interpretation that's different from their perspective as a business.

Besides, there's enough variation in memories of how exactly it all happened that we just don't have enough to go on to actually make that argument.

But I do agree with you. They should have done it differently on their end and we wouldn't have this ongoing thing.

It's sort of like a business selling something, and delivering it later. On their books, they sold it on that date. But the customer didn't get it until later. Whata yado?

34. Ox AO

Ox AO Grand Poobah

35. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

he didn't do it. he's just an unhelpful smart ass.

36. Ox AO

Ox AO Grand Poobah

UO needs a birthday cake :)

Attached Files:

37. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Stratics Legend
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter PITMUCK

YOOS GET MIXED UP 30TH OZOG'S BRIFTDAY .SENDS PRESSYS

OZOG DA ICE CREAMS GOBLIN

38. ChReuter

ChReuter Guest

Some part of me wants to say the birthday for the UO we know today is February 11th 2003 and not Sept (Whatever) of 1997. I suppose some will know what I'm saying... (And no, I don't hate uo today. I like both.

39. Ox AO

Ox AO Grand Poobah

I noticed on Wiki (Not a good source) says:
    "Subscriber numbers peaked at around 250,000 in July 2003"

Noting your date was when equipment became the focus over skill on February 11th 2003

it took a couple months for people to realize what the change meant.

40. Surgeries

Surgeries Grand Poobah

I have the Cloth Map, the original Beta Test CD, and the original Lapel Pin. Very amazing that I do, but I do...

41. Cear Dallben Dragon

well thats just rude.

42. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

Truth hurts

43. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

LTGTFY is #1 not funny and #2 (since you brought up rudeness) it is also rude.

44. ingsmsico

ingsmsico Visitor

wikipedia now cites 1up.com saying it is sept 24, 1997

45. JC the Builder

Stratics Veteran

46. UONoob08

UONoob08 Guest

But do you still have your Ankh pin?:thumbup1:

I always believed the release date was the 24th

But I guess with all the date confusion the Devs have an excuse not to give us our 13th year Vet rewards!!

47. Pandora_CoD

Pandora_CoD Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend CoD

48. toots222

toots222 Guest

i think it is before 25 as my account turned 13 a week or better ago

49. JC the Builder

Stratics Veteran

All accounts get an additional 2 months tacked on. Or at least ones before a certain date do.

50. wilki24

wilki24 UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran

JC: I wouldn't use wikipedia as a source for this. I'm not sure where you got that from.

What I did use as a source was this:
    The World's Most Anticipated Online Game Hits the Market as Electronic Arts Delivers Ultima Online; Groundbreaking PC Title Supports Thousands Playing Simultaneously in the Same Persistent World Over the Internet. - Business Wire | HighBeam Research

Also, you can find more info from old usenet posts, such as this:
    Charter edition exists - server opens tonight - rec.games.computer.ultima.online | Google Groups

To the best that I've been able to determine, the beta ended on the 23rd, the live servers first came up the evening of the 24th, and Charter Edition players who overnighted the boxes got them on the 25th.