1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

ummm...

Discussion in 'EA Land/The Sims Online Stratics Forums' started by Guest, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I just had a person come to my lot and tell me he could see me via my webcam with a program called Webcam Watcher that supposedly TSO allows. I thought he was messing with me until he started telling me what I was wearing and what not. Whats up with that? Thats a complete invasion of privacy. I didnt even have the cam turned on..... How can TSO allow something like ths? He said it worked on the IP that you log into the game with..

2. Guest

Guest Guest

wow .. luckily , i dont have a webcam.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

ummm I don't think thats possible

4. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still weirded out by this. My webcam is always plugged in even when not in use. How cam EA provide anyone with your IP for this kind of use? [​IMG]

5. Guest

Guest Guest

You've GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!
    i have a built in cam on my laptop!!

Thats crazy!! Are u sure ??

6. I doubt very very seriously that this person could actually see you.

1. did you hold up some fingers and ask him how many?
    2. Are you now, or have you ever been a blonde?

7. It could have been a lucky guess. If he or she said generic things like T-Shirt or Shorts than its nothing to be worried up. Its probably a trick because webcams cant not be turned on except by the person using the computer it is connected to.

And EA does not support any third party programs....

8. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

I doubt very very seriously that this person could actually see you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

He went on to tell me what I was wearing and what I was doing at the time...

9. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf do you mean by that [​IMG]

10. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG] WOW that is a serious invasion of privacy...Im glad I dont have a web cam!

11. Probably messing with you. Although it would be kinda freaky if someone said something about your webcam, and you never told them you had one. Either he is being honest, or he took a lucky guess. Still, from personal experience I know trying to setup a webcam is difficult -- at least when using Yahoo. I can't imagine a program that could easily invade your privacy like that.

My webcam is unhooked and sitting in my drawer. Gotta love USB, hehe. [​IMG]

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I downloaded the program he was talkign about and it doesnt even ask for IP addresses. It asks for keywords and finds and displays a TON of cams. I typed in EA Land and got about 6. It displays both running and non-running.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

this is the description Of WebCamWatcher From Thier official site

Allows the user to open a file of internet image addresses, and have those images dynamically downloaded and automatically refreshed over the internet, according to a user specified refresh rate for each image, with each image operating independently. A mouse click on an image causes the image to open in a new window, and allows a mouse drag operation to zoom in on a particular area ofinterest. This zoomed in area will remain the area of focus across additional image updates. Images, or zoomed-in portions of images, may be printed or saved to disk, through the use of right-mouse-click popup menus. Consecutive image updates can be automatically saved to disk to allow for VCR-mode playback at any user requested speed.

So i dont know how he can remotley access your cam with that program
    but Im gonna download it now cuz this cant be for real, its a TOTAL invasion of privacy!!

14. Guest

Guest Guest

ummmm so what are you wearing?

15. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

this is the description Of WebCamWatcher From Thier official site

Allows the user to open a file of internet image addresses, and have those images dynamically downloaded and automatically refreshed over the internet, according to a user specified refresh rate for each image, with each image operating independently. A mouse click on an image causes the image to open in a new window, and allows a mouse drag operation to zoom in on a particular area ofinterest. This zoomed in area will remain the area of focus across additional image updates. Images, or zoomed-in portions of images, may be printed or saved to disk, through the use of right-mouse-click popup menus. Consecutive image updates can be automatically saved to disk to allow for VCR-mode playback at any user requested speed.

So i dont know how he can remotley access your cam with that program
    but Im gonna download it now cuz this cant be for real, its a TOTAL invasion of privacy!!

[/ QUOTE ]

He described my PJ pants and even knew when I pointed the cam at the ceiling.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Lol this is so cray cray! Creeper much??

17. Too freaky. Put a piece of cloth or sock over the cam. If someone was staring at me, I'd probably flip them off or something.

I don't know, I've had too many encounters with the "obsessed fan" on Sims Superstar. To think there would be someone on the other side of the cam jumping up and down and making sounds..... [​IMG]

18. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Too freaky. Put a piece of cloth or sock over the cam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cam is unplugged now.
    Just kinda creepy. That was then last thing I expected to hear when I logged in today.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Urmm &amp; WTF!!

*checks to see if it's April 1st yet - nope not here it aint*

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Its not possible for someone to remotely activate a piece of hardware on your computer when you have it deactivated. Not sure how he got his info, unless you were unaware that your cam was on, but even then you would have to have it opened to the public in whatever fashion your camera allows. What's being described here just isn't possible.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

I just had a person come to my lot and tell me he could see me via my webcam with a program called Webcam Watcher that supposedly TSO allows. I thought he was messing with me until he started telling me what I was wearing and what not. Whats up with that? Thats a complete invasion of privacy. I didnt even have the cam turned on..... How can TSO allow something like ths? He said it worked on the IP that you log into the game with..

[/ QUOTE ]
    Male bovine exhaust.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

with all due respect Donavan wouldn't that be male bovine minutia? unless you are referring to a flatulant bovine [​IMG]

23. Guest

Guest Guest

I belive you should REPORT it IMMEDIATLY to devs.

24. Guest

Guest Guest

LMAO I was curious if it was something someone would guess easily. In another post he says: <blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
    Maybe Frank is psychic. I would not have guessed someone pointing their cam to the ceiling.

25. MaxCTSO

MaxCTSO Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Lol I find this kinda funny. I really don' think its possible either but thats just my opinion.

26. Shyanne1

Shyanne1 Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone that knows you is messing with you. You can't see someone with a turned off webcam. Think about it. If you still think you are being watched then unplug the cam from the USB port unless you want to use it.

27. Guest

Guest Guest

Looks a picture closely!
    [​IMG]
    Well it looks like you only have two people in your property. The owner and the roommate. I assume that you are the roommate because its the male, I could be wrong. Frank is it? There's no IM anywhere in that picture.. So did you say what was in the history? or did the other sim there say it? Or did this Frank guy leave.. and you scrolled to what he said? Well, there are setting within your web cam software, that lets you turn it off.

Either way even if its not true a piece of tape/sock like someone else mentioned can fix this.

Thanks for keeping us informed! *salutes*

28. I still doubt this,

I don't think is possible for a webcam to be turned on by a person on a different computer.

But

Thanks to this thread, Im using my web cam's privacy visor for the first time lol.

29. Guest

Guest Guest

I would of reported this kind of behavior in-game. Report it to Maxis Lee.

30. <blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still weirded out by this. My webcam is always plugged in even when not in use. How cam EA provide anyone with your IP for this kind of use? [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

EA doesn't provide IP addresses, they dont support third party programs, which this "Webcam Watcher" is.

Everyone can provide IP addresses by simply send an email, in the senders details you can find the IP address, or by filling out an online survey/forum.

I suggest reporting this and the person who did this to you, to EA.

31. Guest

Guest Guest

Report it to EA for what exactly? It has nothing to do with the game.

32. Yes it does, did you read the post he made?

Some one was using it on TSO/EAL, thus making it part of the game and its a third party program which invades privacy and that is a liability for EA if they do in fact give out IP addresses that allow ppl to use this program.

33. Guest

Guest Guest

This, program is def. invading people privacy and should be reported ASAP through EA. Thanks!

34. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

with all due respect Donavan wouldn't that be male bovine minutia? unless you are referring to a flatulant bovine [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Closest I can come to the actual phrase.
    Besides, both are particulate.

35. WTHeck?!?! I am seriously glad I have no webcam hooked to my computers. Or maybe you should be. I don't exactly 'gussie up' to play. [​IMG]

36. Guest

Guest Guest

Wait, first you said

<blockquote><hr>

EA doesn't provide IP addresses, they dont support third party programs, which this "Webcam Watcher" is.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you would be correct, but then you say

<blockquote><hr>

Some one was using it on TSO/EAL, thus making it part of the game and its a third party program which invades privacy and that is a liability for EA if they do in fact give out IP addresses that allow ppl to use this program.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're as confusing as the OP.

37. What is confusing?

It was used in TSO so he should report it! Is that so confusing?

38. anniebonz

anniebonz Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

So it was the house owner? Frank N' Stein or are you Frank....only 2 people in the house?

anywhoo...I downloaded and searched and asked around to some of my comp peeps and theres no way this can be done unless you enter those chat rooms that stream your webcam. And you have to agree to that.

You sure your, mom, brother, kid, dad, dog, neighbor doesn't know you play TSO and was just messin with ya?

39. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Looks a picture closely!
    [​IMG]
    Well it looks like you only have two people in your property. The owner and the roommate. I assume that you are the roommate because its the male, I could be wrong. Frank is it? There's no IM anywhere in that picture.. So did you say what was in the history? or did the other sim there say it? Or did this Frank guy leave.. and you scrolled to what he said? Well, there are setting within your web cam software, that lets you turn it off.

Either way even if its not true a piece of tape/sock like someone else mentioned can fix this.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nice catch, Joely.
    Despite the fact he says:
    <blockquote><hr>

I just had a person come to my lot and tell me he could see me via my webcam....

[/ QUOTE ]
    There are only 2 people on the lot - the OP and the lot owner (female) who is obviously not some generic 'person'. The scrollbar on the chat window is at the bottom, so no one has just left.
    I dint believe it before - but this is the icing on the banana.
    Whatever the reason, there is no doubt this is a made-up story.
    [​IMG]

40. HoTDeViL

HoTDeViL Guest

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm Artemis are you sure your wife didnt create a male char and playing you an april joke? (with telling you what you are wearing?)

41. Guest

Guest Guest

It was spoken about in game, not used in game. EAL was used as a search term and nothing else.

42. Shyanne1

Shyanne1 Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Looks a picture closely!
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on people~ Don't you get it? This is a bunch of horse poo. Nothing can do this and doesn't. It has nothing to do with the game except he got a bunch of you to believe or at least maybe believe this crap. I'd just lock the thread because isn't true and we don't want to encourage these types of posts to freak out people who don't know any better.

43. Guest

Guest Guest

Interesting, very interesting indeed.
    Useless Facts:
    There is no one on franks web.
    He is 0 days old.
    He owns Frank's Hot Dogs.

44. I must agree,

It is a bit too early for April Fools... Its March 30th still.

Nothing nor anyone can turn on your webcam with out being at your computer! Its impossible! Its stupid to think otherwise. And the only way you can be viewed by someone is if you join a video chat room and you must first agree to it!

45. Shyanne1

Shyanne1 Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Useless Facts:
    He is 0 days old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frank's Hot Dogs. Well at least he's funny lol

46. VitArm

VitArm Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Useless Facts:
    He is 0 days old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Artemis's shop is also not even on the map.

47. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
    Closest I can come to the actual phrase.
    Besides, both are particulate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when can we not say [censored] here as long as we don't circumvent the profanity filter? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seriously, as somebody else pointed out, at close examination that screen shot is of house chat and not of an IM, and besides we are not allowed to name names here so if the original poster is not Frank N Stein in game then the mods would have pulled this post for violating that RoC rule. 2+2=4 so I am thinking this is a premature April Fool's joke......I'm a good sport though, so good one Frank. [​IMG]

48. snowboarder

snowboarder Guest

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Looks a picture closely!
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nice catch, Joely.
    Despite the fact he says:
    <blockquote><hr>

I just had a person come to my lot and tell me he could see me via my webcam....

[/ QUOTE ]
    There are only 2 people on the lot - the OP and the lot owner (female) who is obviously not some generic 'person'. The scrollbar on the chat window is at the bottom, so no one has just left.
    I dint believe it before - but this is the icing on the banana.
    Whatever the reason, there is no doubt this is a made-up story.
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look at he picture the only 2 there are the owner (who speaks in light blue) and the roomie (who speaks in dark blue) and the scroll bar is not all the way down as the bottom arrow is white not grey.
    All this leads to another person on the lot.

However i have never heard of anyone being able to activate a webcam remotely unless you have been hacked. Your firewall should prevent it. The only way around it would be for the signal to piggyback your TSO connection in which case this person has hacked the TSO servers. Either way i would report it to the devs imediatly with this guys name.

49. <blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm Artemis are you sure your wife didnt create a male char and playing you an april joke? (with telling you what you are wearing?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheh...This is exactly what I thought too [​IMG]

50. Guest

Guest Guest

What possibly could have happened was you had a facebook profile? maybe this person accessed it and possibly used some sort of facebook plugin/app that connects to web cams and maybe yours was accidently on and u *thought* it was off?

But btw if anyone has a webcam and its on then anyone accessing it and watching you has every right to do so and they are in noway invading your privacy. YOU are the one filming and broadcasting yourself across the internet.