1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

UO and Customer Service

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Lady Laurel, May 21, 2010.

1. Lady Laurel

Lady Laurel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Alumni LOST

I know that customer service for UO has been pretty bad for quite some time, but lately they seem to be completely out of touch on so many levels.

I recently acquired a new account (like my husband and I needed another account lol) and I wanted to use the account transfer service (I have done so in the past, so I am not new to the procedure). I followed the link on the UOHerald site, which takes you to this: http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cf...p_accessibility=&p_page=&p_lva=6174&nextlink=

It is a word document that contains sections for both parties to complete and mail/fax in and directions to do so. Both parties are instructed that they need to call EA and when to do so and what number to call. Then the problems started – the person on the other end of the line at first had no clue anything about an account transfer service. Then comes back and says that it is an online feature and must be completed online (Though it isn’t and they couldn’t provide a link). After quite some time (we are talking hours) they finally figure it out, sorta – they say all that needs to be done is to go in and remove the billing information and enter new owner information in place of current owner. Okay, duh, I could’ve done that. One of the major points to the account transfer service is that it is supposed to remove any adverse marks from the account. They did not know this also. So how in the world am I supposed to know for sure that everything was removed? I contacted CS and they said that they cannot give out that information.

Another call I had to make was a problem with upgrading one of my accounts to SA. The first rep I spoke with said that I could not upgrade yet, as had not been released yet. This was two months ago, tops. He had to refer me to tier two help.

Then the whole fiasco with the goza’s (and other house designs)! The CS department starts dealing out suspensions (since we have been informed that a suspension is not a ban, but you still cannot play and to most players, they are the same thing and both result in a mark on your account) for features in game that we have not been officially been informed of being not allowed. This is not acceptable. There is major miscommunication on multiple levels here. First, the players not being informed beforehand of the new design restrictions (gozas, door issues, etc). And deffinately somewhere between the development/production team and the customer service staff. With using the Falling Waters Fortress as an example – Mesanna has been there and even built a wonderful banner to tie in with the amazing design. If the design was not allowed, why would she have done that? Why wouldn’t she say something about it when she was there? Where was the miscommunication? Was the design already not allowed and for some reason Mesanna did not know this? Was the design allowed and the CS reps not know this? Who decides what is allowed and not allowed in game?

On stratics, we know that the following read (and sometimes respond) here – Associate Producer, Producer, Systems Designer, Associate Designer, Engineer, Lead Programmer, Designer, Associate CG Supervisor and a Liaison. With the exception of maybe the Liaison, none of the other jobs seem like they would be involved with Customer Service. Shouldn’t there be a Customer Service Representative that comes to see what is actually going on? Is the Liaison supposed to report back the problems that people are having with the CS department? And if that is the case, and he is doing his job, then the ball is being dropped afterwards. Is there someone we can contact? I do understand that the CS department is not just handling UO, but other games as well, but there are so many problems. I think that UO at least needs a Customer Service Liaison. Someone that can report real issues and problems with the CS for UO only (and not just someone b*t*hing and moaning about something they did wrong or not having someone respond when a response was not actually needed). This person wouldn’t even need to be someone that works locally. It could be done from home. Take complaints, sift through them and then create a report on a certain time interval, like bi-weekly. If there is already something like this in play, I do not believe that it is working in the currently implemented fashion.

I think that the current Dev team is doing a great job on the whole (you cannot please everyone), though communication could be a little bit better, so we just need to see where the ball is being dropped with the Customer Service Department.

2. Babble

Babble Guest

I think the lead GM is/was allowed to post on forums too once upon a time.

I doubt there will be better service as it is not cost effective enough for UO.

3. Oh my goodness the nonsense that entailed when I turned my account back on. I owned the domain name associated with the email address I was using at the time, and a random investor ended up purchasing that domain. We'd already been out of the game for some time, and it never occurred to me to fix the email address of my gaming accounts.

To make a long story short, it took 2 in game pages, 15 emails with one of the most fail CSR's I've ever seen in my life, and one phone call.

I will say, that when I called, the guy I spoke to was THE most helpful, wonderful CSR ever. The chick I'd had helping me with the emails just kept copy/pasting the same crap over and over and not listening to what I was trying to tell her.

"Please hit the 'forgot password' option and the new pass will be emailed to you."

"I don't have that email anymore, I sold the domain."

"I need the last 8 digits of the CC on file."

"Do YOU have the last 8 digits of ANY credit card you no longer use?"

"I need the keycode on the box."

'IT WAS TEN YEARS AGO!!! GIMME A BREAK!!!'

So painful. Email after email of this exact conversation copy/pasted over and over. I would call her name out but that would be rude so I'll refrain.

I *think* the AWESOME dude I got on the phone was Thadius. He fixed my issue in like 4 minutes. He was nice, he listened and he thought of an alternate way to verify who I was.

4. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Well..... I for one am 100% convinced that 99.1% of the GM's and over the phone customer service reps haven't 1 clue what UO is... how it's played..... or what it's about...

They have ZERO idea about the land, the laws or the rules beyond some silly checklist.... which is GROSSLY outdated...

Not to mention that when there is a problem that requires "timely" assistance.... ie I'm trapped in a spot where the Styngian Dragon can kill me repeatedly and I can NOT move at all... need help NOW not 2 or 3 hours later, when you finally get the response that you don't appear to be stuck... Which is because after so long your body has long since decayed so what is the point of staying?

It's things like that which are irritating..... and having to put up with foul, potty mouthed little snots who come to the EM events just to scream and whine about getting something and speak foul things when they don't... Yet nothing happens to them. They are continually allowed to bring the event to a stand still with their antics... ruining things for the rest of the people who came there to have a good time.

You want to know why CS is lacking.... it's because general respect is lacking. Not just in CS or UO..... but all over and everywhere you look or go.... including the local Wal-Mart... the Grocery store... and even to the schools... a simple thing like R.E.S.P.E.C.T. has been LOST.... along with my personal favorite.... "Common Courtesy"... but in this sue or be sued society of me, me, me's..... we have created I suppose I should remind everyone that "you reap what you sow... "

So... if everyone took the time to plant a few seeds of courtesy and respect... wouldn't that blossom into something good for everyone?

5. DreadLord Lestat

DreadLord Lestat Social Media Liaison
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

While common courtesy would defintely help out society in general but it won't do much to help customer service. They still have to know about the game. UO doesn't even have it's own section through EA when you call. GM's don't even respond to pages much anymore, they just send their infamous canned response that use for almost all pages.

The goza mat thing is just a fiasco. it has been in game for a long time and has been an accepted practice, now all of a sudden it is worth banning people over. I think there was something just as stupid recently with putting doors on stables that decorate your house. By having them, you can get banned as well. There are no guidelines as to what is or isn't acceptable in these areas. They just make random decisions and ban people like they made the decision with a flip of the coin.

6. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Well considering Customer service is through EA and not through Mythic, and EA doesn't even have UO listed in its game catalogue...well...do I need to say more? :p

On another note: Some reps are just nicer than some. Some have more experience than some. So sometimes it is just a matter of hit and miss. Getting an account back without an old email, CC last used, or even the game-code is never easy unless you have an awesome rep.

But as a rule-of-thumb for me, being calm and respectful with CRS has always helped me. However you can't let them control the situation if they aren't being helpful.

7. canary

canary Guest

By 'lately' in the OP do you mean the past almost 13 years?