1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

UO and Port Forwarding (firewall settings)

Discussion in 'UHall' started by drinkbeerallday, Aug 27, 2008.

1. drinkbeerallday

drinkbeerallday Visitor

Obviously UO works behind a hardware firewall/router and it's simple to allow traffic through Windows Firewall and other software firewalls.

ea.custhelp link

The NAT on a home router does most of this work for us. I'm posting because I want to know if there's a reason / benefit to manually opening the ports to incoming traffic. Will I lag less if I open those ports or is lag mostly unrelated to a NAT router that is functioning properly?

2. Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Port forwarding is used to allow other systems to open a connection to yours. This is a good thing in, say, BitTorrent (where the more connections with other people you have the better), and a requirement if you wish to host a gaming server of your own (or else no one can join you and play).

In cases where you're connecting to another system, the port forward doesn't do much at all.