1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

UO Assist and its server/webpage down?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by MOSMOS, Jan 17, 2014.

1. MOSMOS

MOSMOS Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Is it ended forever?

UOA not work...a few days already.

2. Tamais

Tamais Lake Austin Reporter
    Reporter Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron Editor

Hum, mine worked fine on Wednesday, didn't log on yesterday, but will see if I have it today.

3. S_S

S_S Certifiable
    The Squirrel Empire

Website and program both work fine for me right now.

4. The Zog historian

The Zog historian Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Once in a while Tug seems to change hosting providers, though the last time (September) was pretty recent, and it's still the same IP. Can you ping 64.72.210.109? That's the server's current IP.

5. Voodoo Bad Mojo

Voodoo Bad Mojo Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend 4H

mine is running fine.

6. MOSMOS

MOSMOS Adventurer

I cannot ping the 64.72.210.109.... also, both down... up to this moment.

7. The Zog historian

Stratics Veteran

It's up for me. Try a tracert on the IP.

8. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

9. Parnoc

Parnoc Lore Master

I have the same problem, are you in the US?

10. Chil

Chil Visitor

I have the same issue for last several days. It says DNS service is not set up correctly.
    All of my friends are having the same problem. We connect from Asia region.
    I tried to email Tugsoft and email did not work either.

11. Parnoc

Parnoc Lore Master

I'm trying to connect from Asia also. Not happy about it but good to know others have same problem, maybe that means it will get fixed and it's not just one of my firewalls or virus programs blocking it.

#11 Parnoc, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  12. MOSMOS

MOSMOS Adventurer

It is not work.. too.

13. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

14. mspossi

mspossi Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Hello buddy! this link is broken

15. The Zog historian

Stratics Veteran

It's working for me. Very odd. If you go to a site like www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com, you can see the site itself is very much up.

For those of you unable to get to the site or have UOA connect, what if you do a tracert on 64.72.210.109? (That's the server's direct IP.)

16. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

if you google the word 'proxy' you can access the tugsoft website and download the latest version of assist from a proxy website.

17. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

This is the message some people are receiving and it's preventing assist from functioning.
    Any ideas? the players can access the tugsoft website with a proxy and download the latest uoassist but the updater still doesn't connect and they can't play.
    [​IMG]

#17 Mervyn, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    Parnoc likes this.
  18. The Zog historian

Stratics Veteran

For the people affected, it's not a matter of accessing the website to download. It's that they have UOA, and when it attempts to connect to tugsoft.com on startup, it can't. I don't know why Tug ever programmed it to disable itself after 10 failures.

19. The Zog historian

Stratics Veteran

If a person has familiarity with editing the Windows hosts file, it's easy to add this line:

127.0.0.1 [insert tab character here] tugsoft.com

This simply redirects all attempts to access tugsoft.com back to the person's home computer ("There's no place like 127.0.0.1"), enough so UOA thinks the website is up. If the person later needs to get to the actual website to download UOA, however, the line needs to be removed.

20. Parnoc

Parnoc Lore Master

Yep, this is exactly what I get, exasparating. What in the heck are us folks in Asia supposed to do?

21. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Hm...well that link, and the UOA program, is indeed running fine for me...as The Zog Historian suggested, maybe it's a host issue.

If quite a few websites are not working, there might be something wrong with your DNS, I think. Someone probably knows more than I do lol, but I'd take a look at posts like this one (if the link works!):
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=428426#5

mspossi likes this.
  22. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

The problem is at server's end.
    As pointed by this tool, many servers across the world from several countries have no access to TugSoft website.

23. MOSMOS

MOSMOS Adventurer

So... any reach to tugsoft uo player can help us to express our problem them?
    or post this thread link to tell them we need being helped here!
    many thanks!

24. The Zog historian

Stratics Veteran

*points above to #19*

And depending on the version of Windows you run: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+edit+windows+host+file

This won't help someone who needs to download UOA, but it will help someone who has UOA and needs it to connect.

25. Parnoc

Parnoc Lore Master

*Points to #19* Ok you may be a techie, I'm not, you don't explain where this line is supposed to go. I'm not about to alter stuff especially inside programs until I know it's going in the correct location and won't mess stuff up completely - been there, done that.

Maybe a year ago, maybe longer, we had an extended downtime and someone posted how to change the countdown for opening UOAssist back to 10. Anyone that person or remember where that is? Yes, I have changed mine to only look once per day on the splash screen that comes up, but that doesn't work, it still checks everytime and as much as I get in and out of game 10 times goes fast.

#25 Parnoc, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  26. MOSMOS

MOSMOS Adventurer

i have just amended the hosts file but not work....

27. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

yes i also got a player to change his DNS to a public DNS ip but that also did not work.

#27 Mervyn, Jan 20, 2014
  28. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I know of 5 players who have now resorted to using non approved uoassist equivalents (at their own risk) it's a real shame that we're not getting responses from tugsoft via email.

29. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I'm afraid it's not just a DNS issue, so editing the hosts file manually won't help.

From this page, you can see that several countries can't even reach Tugsoft's webpage (and updater.updateace.com) via direct IP :
    http://cloudmonitor.ca.com/en/ping....64.72.210.109&vhost=_&vaction=ping&ping=start

(Link courtesy of BeaIank in this thread http://stratics.com/community/threads/tugsoft-website.310102/#post-2349340)

So even if the the folks in Asia/France/Poland/Russia/Africa/Brazil can resolve the host names, their IPs would still be blocked from contacting Tugsoft's servers.

Tug needs to contact his service provider to see if they are willing to unblock these countries (depends on what caused them to do this in the first place).
    Btw, if your are in a country that's blocked, emails sent from your country's mail server will likely not reach him either. Use Google or Yahoo mail to contact him.

G.v.P likes this.
  30. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

So currently you cannot use uoassist from the following countries without setting up a vpn to another country:
    Spain, Singapore, China, Thailand, Turkey, Poland, Egypt, France, India, South Africa, Russia, Czech Rep, Brazil, Vietnam, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine,and United Arab Emirates.

#30 Mervyn, Jan 20, 2014
  31. Harlequin

Stratics Veteran

Yup, looks like it.
    Looks like Japan and Korea are fine though.

32. The Zog historian

Stratics Veteran

Actually, what I posted will -- I verified it on my own PC -- because it prevents UOA from trying to connect to Tug's server. Anytime the PC tries to go to tugsoft.com, the entry in the hosts file will redirect it to IP 127.0.0.1, which is the local PC.

33. The Zog historian

Stratics Veteran

Are you attempting to download UOA? Or do you have it already and UOA can't connect on startup (looking for an updated version)? As I said, this hosts file entry will work for the latter, but not if you're trying to get UOA.

Also, the hosts file is normally access-protected. To make sure your changes are being saved, copy the hosts file somewhere (like to your Windows desktop), edit and save it there, then copy it to the %windows%\system32\drivers\etc directory.

#33 The Zog historian, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  34. The Zog historian

Stratics Veteran

Do you mean this thread? Different issue at the time, though. Tug apparently had changed hosting providers, and it can take hours to a week for DNS entries around the world to get updated. http://stratics.com/community/threads/uoassist-and-tugsoft-website.305466/

I thought UOA always defaulted to 10 connection attempts. But I haven't had to install it in a long while...

The hosts file is extremely easy to change, and changes are extremely easy to undo. It's not going to BSOD or brick your computer. Starting with Windows 2000, a reboot isn't even required.

35. Harlequin

Stratics Veteran

Unfortunately, it actually won't work.

UOAssist is actually looking for
    "updater.updateace.com", and not
    "tugsoft.com"

What's happening when you tested on your own PC is that your UOA is still connecting to "updater.updateace.com" and doesn't lookup Tugsoft.com at all. That's why it's working.

Now of course, the next question is "so just add an entry for updater.updateace.com then?"

If you add an entry to your host file for "127.0.0.1 updater.updateace.com", yes, UOA will use the loopback address to direct packets to your PC, but your PC will likely not be able to send the correct response back, so UOA will just stop responding.

Parnoc likes this.
  36. Harlequin

Stratics Veteran

Sorry, missed this part of your question earlier. This requires exporting and importing registry entries.

Original post by Mandrake can be found here:
    http://stratics.com/community/threads/problem-with-uoassist.283185/#post-2168903

Copie/paste below:

37. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

For those who don't feel comfortable editing the registry, an alternative solution to fixing uoassist is this:
    Download and install a public VPN program
    http://www.vpngate.net/en/howto_softether.aspx
    Connect to a country that uoassist works with, open uoassist and uo. Then sever your vpn connection and connect like normal.

mspossi likes this.
  38. The Zog historian

Stratics Veteran

You yourself say that you're talking about two completely different sites. Are people unable to get to tugsoft.com, or updateace.com, which have different IPs? That's why I told them to ping the Tugsoft.com IP.

If people are unable to get to tugsoft.com, then what I said works.

If their problem is with updateace.com, adding a registry entry for updater.updateace.com works too. I just did it. See the normal "Continue" button at the bottom?

I don't know what your problem is, but it worked for me. Perhaps you shouldn't say things like "likely not" before confirming it yourself?

uoa.png

39. Mervyn

Mervyn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

sorry zog historian but we did try your way, i can confirm it does not solve the issue.

Parnoc likes this.
  40. The Zog historian

Stratics Veteran

What are you getting? Screenshots? Try entries for both news.updateace.com and updater.updateace.com.

As I said, it works great for me. UOA successfully connects to servers it's looking for, and though it's directed back to local, it still thinks the servers are alive.

41. Parnoc

Parnoc Lore Master

Seeing continue is what I see but that doesn't mean anything ---- in fact that's the problem, the next screen that comes up is the one earlier referenced that states you couldn't connect with update ace and are on a countdown until you connect with update ace tugsoft servers and get it verified.

42. The Zog historian

Stratics Veteran

Did you check out the link on how to edit a hosts file, and add the couple of lines I've laid out? My UOA is no longer connecting to the true servers at all -- not anywhere at tugsoft.com or updateace.com. But because UOA can see that the servers are alive, it lets me continue on.

43. Parnoc

Parnoc Lore Master

So can I and all of us that live outside the US, UK, Canada etc get our money back that we paid for UOAssist? I know, I suppose it's silly but it is kind of a sore point, I have 12 accounts and I have paid for all of them for UOA so not a small investment to be just arbitrarily taken away.

44. Harlequin

Stratics Veteran

Can you double check? Because both tugsoft.com and updater.updateace.com addresses seems to be resolving to the same IP (64.72.210.109) for me.

As to which site folks are unable to get to, as you can see in Mervin's first few post with a screenshot of the error (post 17), it says updater.updateace.com. So they are having an issue with UOA not being able to connect to "updater.updateace.com", not "Tugsoft.com".

Can you elaborate on which registry entry they should add? Or do you mean adding to the host file?

The latter doesn't work according to Mervyn and Parnoc (pending their further response to you).

I did test on my system first. The reason I said "your PC will likely not be able to send the correct response back" is because I cannot tell if folks have a web server daemon or other software installed on their PC that will somehow send a correct response (eg port 80 for the http requests, and whichever other ports UOA's updater uses), and how different my system is setup from other folks' systems.

Since it works on yours, just to check, which update method did you set in UOA? Perhaps that's the key.
    Are you adding "updateace.com" to your host file? Or are you adding "updater.updateace.com?
    Did you do a dnsflush after editing your hosts file before testing?

You are not getting the page that says you have x number of tries left, correct?

#44 Harlequin, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  45. The Zog historian

Stratics Veteran

That is actually my point: they do have the same IP (same IP seems to be unavailable), but they require separate hosts file entries. And when adding these particular entries to the hosts file, we don't have to worry about what the server's true IP is.

I don't know if they're even doing it correctly. Mervyn is Mervyn, and Parnoc admitted he didn't know anything about this.

And as you could see, I have no such setup on my home PC. Yet all UOA seems to be concerned about is getting a ping. From a programming standpoint, it makes sense. Anything except a unique response ____ means there's no update to download, move along.

I had long since anticipated that my UOA had run earlier that day, originally setting it to update every time. And no, I haven't gotten the failures message at all.

You should be aware that editing the hosts file works immediately, and a DNS flush is completely unnecessary here. I had also verified where my hosts file was sending me with simple pings. Pinging www.tugsoft.com, news.updateace.com and updater.updateace.com all showed I was pinging home.

So like I said, this works for me: UOA is unable to connect to the true servers, yet these simple hosts file entries are enough to fool it into thinking the servers are alive.

46. The Zog historian

Stratics Veteran

47. Angel of Sonoma

Angel of Sonoma Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

the hosts file is your friend. use it. everything Zog historian has posted is spot-on.

The Zog historian likes this.
  48. The Zog historian

Stratics Veteran

That's what I'm trying to say, short of going around banging on a pot. :)

49. MOSMOS

MOSMOS Adventurer

can anyone help to tell tugsoft for our needs and give us a helpful hand?

Help! help! Help!

50. Harlequin

Stratics Veteran

For the update method, I was thinking more of the 3 "Load UOA Using" methods. Not sure if this has any impact.

Good point on DNSFlush though, I was thinking about some browsers doing their own DNS caching. But flushing wouldn't have done anything in that or this case. And your ping tests showing you were reaching home definitely confirms it.

A netstat on my system shows that UOA is accessing a few non icmp or http ports though.

In any case, I've sent Tug an email. Let's see how quickly he responds.