1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

NEWS [UO.Com] Ask & Answer No. 11

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Nov 19, 2012.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

From the Devs
    2012 Nov 19 21:39 GMT
    In addition to the normal set of Ask and Answer questions this week, there is also an interview! UO Forums did a very informative interview with the Ultima Online producer, Bonnie (Mesanna) Armstrong. There are questions that range from a typical day in the studio to future plans for Ultima Online, so be sure to check it out.

UO Auctions

Question: The new 15yr Robes are a fantastic addition and reward for players being creative. i'd like to see this bcome more than just a 15yr event. have you ever considered holding art based competitions as well as writing? it'd be nice to see this sort of reward for submitting UO fan art too. (Treasure Seeker)

Mesanna: After speaking with our Artist Onifrk he stated jpg, png or 3d files would be acceptable to do something like this. I really like the idea of this but there will NEVER be another contest like decorating banks.

Ultima Online Bibliothek

When will I get my ridable Great Hart? Tameable, plase, and chance to find a white one, please. (Pcuvush)

Mesanna: Ridable Hart, probably not but a special spawned hued one is a possibility in the future.

Once there was the idea to add pixies as a playable race - there was a poll, if I remember correctly, dwarves and orcs as other options. Has this been shelved, or is there still a chance to add them? (Pcuvush)

Mesanna: Right now a new playable race is not on the plans. I am not saying we will never do one again but have a lot of other things in front of it right now.

UO Stratics

I roleplay as an orc on Europa (Xug'Klerg) and he wants to know if he will ever fully become an orc? We would both like this...(Velvathos)

Kyronix: Adding additional playable races is an extraordinary task that requires a lot of development time due to the far reaching impact of such an addition. Consider how different gargoyles are than humans/elves and how they have their own equipment, skills, etc. So to do it right would take a great effort that may not benefit the entire player base as effectively as focusing elsewhere. There are currently a number of ways that players can roleplay other races (Which I’m sure you are already utilizing) so enhancing that ability would be more feasible than a full blown additional playable race.

UOForums

Since the addition of the Raised Garden Beds into the game, the need for fertile dirt has increased. However as best I can tell, the spawn rate has not. I love my raised beds, especially when I can plant them all with the fertile dirt, I just don't like buying it in Ter Mur. Is there anyway we can get some more dirt? OR reduce the number of dirt piles it takes to grow each plant? (Kahlan)

Kyronix: This is a reasonable request and will consider it when adding it future loot drops to various areas.

Can you tell me how iron beetles are supposed to work? I thought they mined ore but when I bring mine out, it does not mine or do anything really. I've stood alongside mountains, inside caves (Where you can mine the floor), and still, it does nothing. The owner is a GM Miner. (Thumper)

Misk: The Iron Beetles likes to dig up and eat ore so it tries to mine when it is in an appropriate area. They will attempt to mine in the immediate area at random intervals (maximum of 5 minutes). Sometimes they don’t like the taste of the ore that they dig up and simply leave it on the ground instead of consuming it. When the beetle eats ore, its body hue changes to the ore color that it has eaten. The Iron Beetle can only mine near valid mining tiles and the mining skill of the owner does not affect the types of ore that the beetle will dig up.

Continue reading...

Storm likes this.
  2. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

An extraordinary amount of pvp and felucca talk as of late on the boards and otherwise, and still not a single mention of any of it.

Just wanted to take a moment and point that out.

Thanks

#2 Cetric, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  3. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

there has also been a extraordinary amount of talk about Petra's birthday and not one mention of a coloured hued Petra OR a ridable one.... the dev's just dont care and/or listen to us!

hehe

4. Lythos-

Lythos- Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I would rather wait until something is made benifitial to everyone than something just being thrown together we may not all agree on.

5. Logrus

Logrus UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Don't feel bad man, for SA, I tried to pitch rideable nobles, but couldnt get the higher ups on board.

6. Picus of Napa

Picus of Napa Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I'd have to see pics or it didn't happen.

#6 Picus of Napa, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  7. Cetric

Cetric Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

A Rideable Petra is what you want ehh? Does petra know of this? Are you trying to tell us something?

8. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Careful...

9. Good Grief

Good Grief Journeyman

I'd like a rideable Petra :smooch:

10. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Can we have a contest about FINISHING the ones that were started and then dropped by the wayside? And perhaps even using the CORRECT design that was submitted, instead of the wrong one?

jeriicco, Penderrin and Damia TMC like this.
  11. Orgional Farimir

Orgional Farimir Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

PvP?????? Felucca?????? What's that? There is no need for that in UO.

12. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

You can already turn your character into a "full fledged" orc in the EC via the Body Sculptor NPCs... and could since the Kingdom Reborn Client was in use... just sayin'

13. kulder

kulder Lore Keeper

I really like the idea of this but there will NEVER be another contest like decorating banks
    And may I ask why haven't you finished the ones that were submitted and who had won, seems that the developers cannot finish something's they started.
    I don't know of any other shard which is not finished but this particular bank is on Legends

#13 kulder, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  14. Damia TMC

Damia TMC Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Yes please please please Mesanna come finish Brit bank, it was started and never finished, and while you're on Legends can we have a prettier Luna bank too? We all feel like Legends gets left out of a lot of stuff. Our Brit bank never got finished, yes I know the person who started it is gone now, and it's not anyone's problem to fix but we'd like a moongate and some benches and flowers too, we've waited years and we've been really good.... well mostly good.... ok we tried to be good.... ok we'll try harder in the future. :)

jeriicco and ShadowTrauma like this.
  15. Penderrin

Penderrin Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

*signs petition to get Legends Brit bank finished and with the correct design.*

Only seems right to award what was promised.

I, myself recently realized I had screwed a contest winner. I cannot change that but was quite ashamed and did what I could to try to set it right. My point being it is NOT TO LATE.

#15 Penderrin, Nov 20, 2012
  16. Coldren

Coldren Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Might be simplest to make a permanent Polymorph potion that turns them into an Orc, and can be undone if they drink another.. More universal than a face remake in EC. Technically, it could just be treated like a permanent buff. Craftable by Alchemists.

I suppose this could technically be done for any of the Polymorph options.. Player Liches, etc.. They always look the same as what the spell turns them into, unable to change their appearance through equipment, but might not be a bad compromise.

#16 Coldren, Nov 20, 2012
    Tjalle and Mentiras like this.
  17. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

We can be orcs now, anyone remember the orc flippers from a while back? work from that, and make them available again to whoever wants to be an orc. Should be able to work the coding a little to make lich, troll, whatever yta want

18. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Apparently it took 2 questions the squash the orc questions! Nice!

CovenantX likes this.
  19. Quickblade

Quickblade Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Only if the permanent morph form be able to ride mounts, because as it is right now, a polymorphed player cannot ride any mount ... Ps : as I think more about it, a orc riding a horse does not look very RP tho lol ,

#19 Quickblade, Nov 20, 2012
  20. Coldren

Coldren Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Exactly what I was thinking. :)

21. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

An Orc on a black hued boura...or ridgeback

ShadowTrauma likes this.
  22. ShadowTrauma

ShadowTrauma Seasoned Veteran

Hehehe normally only post on more serious threads that I feel I can contribute to, but this one is just FUN. I must admit I really do miss seeing all the Orc players from back in the day. Not only where they a great bunch of people, but man they looked cool doing it also... the orc helm has to be up there as one of my favorites. If you think about it Orcs in general are great NPCs they have such a wide variety of skills, abilities, and looks, I almost always enjoy fighting them.

*Orc's on Swampies (not a huge fan looks wise personally), Beetles, Ostards, and Cu Sidhes would all work in my opinion, I can definately agree with you on the horse issue. I'm sure I am missing some and will admit lore wise they might not all make sense (I'll leave that to the experts), but I for one can certainly picture it, and it makes me smile.*

23. Tazar

Tazar Guest

My orc rides a Warg (Cu-Sidhe) that's bubble-gum pink... it clashes horribly with the green orc. I just use the Mask of Orcish-Kin to complete the character look. I do wish the mask were properly craftable/enhancable/imbuable/reforgable though...

#23 Tazar, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
    ShadowTrauma likes this.
  24. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I think you missed a publish note somewhere. You can make orc masks, reforge them and imbue them. Can't enhance though, they're cloth, not leather.

25. Quickblade

Quickblade Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Maybe devs could make colored cloth with properties hehe much like the leather

26. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Would be awesome!! I second this! But rather then resists maybe magical properties..mana regen/casting focus/int bonus..since cloth is technically for mages :)

27. Quickblade

Quickblade Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

But what would drop lets say barbed cloth ? a Greater Sheep ? lol

Im kidding maybe they could add colored cloth with the tailor bods

#27 Quickblade, Nov 20, 2012
  28. Tazar

Tazar Guest

A Velcro monster? :p

29. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I have a cool idea for tailors, let them craft costumes. Similar to polymorph for mages, tailors could craft lich costumes, or for those wanting to role-play as orcs, an orc costume :)

It would be more permanent than polymorph in the sense that you'd remain in that "form" for as long as you're wearing it. And, of course, anyone could wear it.

#29 Viper09, Nov 20, 2012
  30. Berethrain

Berethrain Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I had no idea that this was even an issue.

And the felucca content requests get harsh jabs. Geez.....

31. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I like the barbed cloth hehe ..no I was thinking more along the lines of farming mages..evil mages, juka mages pretty much any human type magical character u can cut up their robes and make "magical cloth" (which the universal cloth) then enhance them with magical gems (arcane stone for lrc) etc etc

32. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

This is something that the KR client allowed, but was taken out when KR was retooled into the EC. Several homeowners found expanded ability quite useful.