1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

NEWS [UO.Com] Developer Interview

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Mar 26, 2013.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

Community News
    2013 Mar 26 14:55 GMT
    UOForums.com recently posted an interview with Ultima Online’s lead artist James “Onifrk” Crawly. There are many great questions about the art process for UO and insights into how he came to be a member of the Ultima Online team. Head over to UOForums.com and check it out.

Continue reading...

2. KLOMP

KLOMP Sage

So what do these art guys... like... do, anyway? This game has gotten like four new sprites in the last three years.

3. Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

lead artist? though we were down to just one? would that not make him the lead artist by default? would not really call that an interview, more like let me introduce myself. meh at least someone is talking

4. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Another DEV that doesn't play UO and is in charge of the Art Department, strange.

#4 Lord Frodo, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    G.v.P likes this.
  5. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Ha. But hey, if the dude plays XCOM: Enemy Unknown, he's okay in my book. PS--not sure why the title is written as "X-COM," but if that was Onifrk's mistake I like him even more. Anyone who played the original X-COM gets some additional points.

Well, there's my answer. +1

Explains the Goose head explosion.

6. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Sorry I am Bias to this guy..... I want Grim back...
    I want someone who has worked in UO and knows all our quirks....
    All we need is this yahoo to muff the game up.
    He dont even play UO.... how the he can he understand what is needed if he hasnt steped inthe game to even see what players are talking about???

7. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

CovenantX, chise2, Wenchkin and 4 others like this.
  8. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor

Hopefully some will understand now the limitations to the art work now ....

I dont see an issue on what games he plays for the oens that has the issue. Because he works on UO he shouldn't be forced to play it. I am pretty sure he can get into the game and check out his art work at Mythic before they release it. His choice of games what he likes has no bearing on his abilties to do the art work in UO. He definetly has the qualifications for the job and the experience.

#8 Zosimus, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    CovenantX and Rupert Avery like this.
  9. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Considering how much everyone loved the valentines roses... I think he has the right angle and perspective on things.

chise2, Rupert Avery and Lord Frodo like this.
  10. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

And your point being that Grim was not as talented or didnt make us nice art??
    Granted the man does good work... from the sample shown by Petra he does have a nice hand...
    I will say it again... i still wish we had Grim... this new guy could make a good henchman for him.....

11. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Oh God. Cat statues.

yars likes this.
  12. Rupert Avery

As much as we miss Grimm, I think it is quite disrespectful to act like that when we know Onifrk is probably reading this... Way to go Community!

chise2, Gospel and Zosimus like this.
  13. Sauteed Onion

RrrrrREEOOOWWWW! As the statues say.

#13 Sauteed Onion, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    Shakkara and G.v.P like this.
  14. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Give the new guy a break. My pitchforks and burning torches are reserved for the publish 81 miscreants for now.

Shakkara, temu and Zosimus like this.
  15. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor

Lady Storm

There is and was no disrespect to Grimm. He is a talented and a great developer. There are plenty of devs that I like that no longer work on UO. Dracono and Wilki just to name a few. Cant bash the devs that took their place because I like the other devs that were before them. May as well admit I miss Cal. At least he communicated and showed more enthusiasim in my opinion even though I disagreed with some of his posts.

@Onifrk

Welcome to the team and wish you the best on the developement of the future projects of the art in UO.

CovenantX and Lord Frodo like this.
  16. Gospel

Gospel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

The guy doesn't need to know everything about the game to make art for it. You're being illogical again. He's not Grimm, so what? He does nice work and good art is welcome here, so stop finding things to complain about.

To the new lead, your art is some of my favorite in game, and I personally couldn't be more thrilled and thankful for the interview. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us.

Also, X-COM!?!? I think I'm in love! I still play the crap out of that game haha!

17. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

I know Zosimus... I miss alot of them... But my point was I want Grim back not bash the new kid on the block... It was dirty pool on EA's part.
    Art in uo has been geting better with time... new programs and all. Gospel when some one paints a picture of a historic place it would be nice if they at the very least went to look at the view they are about to capture... same with the art for UO. EC and CC aside.... you wouldnt put a gun in UO but what if no one told him we didnt have guns...and he made one..... nice art and a big waste of his time on the clock... do you get my drift..?
    All I ask is he walk a mile in a players moccasins... see what we got, what we need, what needs his fingers dipped in.... As and example: i bet if he had to dig out 3 pieces of tiny black rock in his full bag he would sit down and fix the color in the inside of pouches! soo see there is a need for him to look in the game.... it that too much to ask? Whats an hour running around uo... i bet Mesanna would give him a token to upgrade his character and make something to really go out an look...

Lord Frodo likes this.