1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

NEWS [UO.Com] Vendor Search Issues

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Mar 21, 2014.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

2. Winter

Winter Lore Keeper

3. Rieley

Rieley Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Amazing communication from Broadsword!

Thank you.

Assia Penryn likes this.
  4. kongomongo

kongomongo Lore Master
    Professional Campaign Supporter

5. THP

THP Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

yep it dont work

6. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

Thank you! :)

7. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Fantastic communication. *applauds*

Rieley and DJAd like this.
  8. Theron

Theron Sage

Thank you for letting us know!

Nothing like being in touch with the players ;)

I can assure you the community feels the concern to keep it informed and appreciates it!

9. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

What she said ^^^^^^ :danceb:

Assia Penryn likes this.
  10. Spiritless

Spiritless Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Only UO players would be greatful to a dev team that shipped a feature which was totally broken and non-functional.

It's sad really, if you think about it. :p

11. CrazyUserName

CrazyUserName Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

It appears to me they are happy to be in the loop, not about any misfunctionality...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry Gibb, old gypsy, Rieley and 5 others like this.
  12. startle

Exactly !

Rieley, old gypsy, BrianFreud and 2 others like this.
  13. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

every Game I play has this kind of thing happen STO,ESO,Neverwinter etc its not just UO

14. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I've always said that I think a lot of UO players would be much more tolerant of bugs and delays if they were given proper communication and updates.

15. BrianFreud

BrianFreud Lead Wiki Mod & Doer of Crazy Things
    Professional Wiki Editor Wiki Moderator Campaign Supporter

It's a first for UO - a public database. Plus, they made it more than just a basic keyword search engine. I think most people can see the promise, and accept that for such a large addition, and a first-time-doing-this type of thing, it was going to have some issues at launch. That Bleak and the other devs were so active in the other News thread yesterday, then this news post today, is *huge* in terms of player communication. We've all seen the times in the past where it felt like we were dealing with just a black box - witness the recent Atlantic problems. If this is a sense of how communication will happen in the future, when there are problems, then the future looks bright. It's only when we can all see that there are problems, and we're hearing nothing, that the public freakouts seem to happen.

CovenantX, Rieley, Alstadt and 4 others like this.
  16. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

so...10 am Saturday? sigh lol

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  17. 4gregu

4gregu Slightly Crazed

With a little over an hour to go before another "no later than" deadline for a functional vendor search... I can't help but wonder if all the "wow, awesome communication" posts somehow jinxed this. lol

18. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

well, 'should have' isn't the same as 'will have' is it? Maybe they should have added 'barring unforseen circumstances'.

Rieley likes this.
  19. 4gregu

4gregu Slightly Crazed

lol, please, don't bring this down to semantics... and FYI i was just able to select vendor search and it is still "functioning" the same as it was after the patch.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  20. Amber Witch

Amber Witch Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Gilfane

*looks inside coffee mug* Ayup, half full. Is yours half full or half empty?
    Ya'all are awesome whether your mug is half full or half empty. :lick:

#20 Amber Witch, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Zosimus, Tamais and old gypsy like this.
  21. popps

popps Always Present

Well, I just tried the Vendor Search on various shards and it still is not working.

I can make a search query, but I come up with no results no matter what I enter as the item searched.

22. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Patience is a virtue.

The team has probably been up all night working on this and smacking them because they've gone the extra mile to get it going just strikes me as really bad. The post said "Should be". This is not a hard deadline by any means and taking it as such is exactly why we've gone through so much time over the years with so little communication. Personally - I'd rather have information than silence.

23. Nails Warstein

Nails Warstein Rares Festival Silent Auctioneer
    Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Patron Ultima Broker

Could someone please post here when they get it to work for them, so I can stop checking. Thank you very much!

Kariny likes this.
  24. Picus of Napa

Picus of Napa Slightly Crazed

Strange, I just tried a vendor search and it worked just like it has for the last near decade.....how odd.

25. Fogsbane

Fogsbane Seasoned Veteran

Out of a dozen attempts, I have had two successful return of search results (on Siege Perilous).

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  26. Bleak

Bleak UO Software Engineer
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Quick update we have identified the current issues with vendor search and will be working to get them resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Bianca_CoD, Boondocker, DJAd and 25 others like this.
  27. startle

And thank you, Bleak, for keeping us in the loop. We really appreciate knowing what's up.... ;)

28. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

well normally, I don't think EA works on the weekend...I mean, the UO guys--so, anything they do on the weekend is bonus for us, lol...so I'm not too pooped. besides, I used it on Origin when it came out and that helped a lot :) got me a nice weapon and some good armor

Tamais and kRUXCg7 like this.
  29. Pawain

Pawain Crazed Zealot

Vendor search worked great on Origin. I am confident the developers can make this work for all shards.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  30. Winter

Winter Lore Keeper

Hey, I'm glad the developers are working overtime on the weekend to get this issue fixed. BUT, there is a reason you don't push publishes on Friday!

kRUXCg7 and G.v.P like this.
  31. skittles1337

skittles1337 Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I don't see any difference in communication between Broadsword and EA.

32. kongomongo

kongomongo Lore Master

Maybe it's time you understood that EA has never communicated at all, the game studio running/developing UO was Mythic

Gidge likes this.
  33. petemage

petemage Seasoned Veteran

When i see this UI, I start wondering if I would like to have theese people do any sort of new/streamlined/whatever client at all. We EC people love that client for a reason. What a beauty of gray and boxes.

34. kRUXCg7

kRUXCg7 Sage

I don't blame them for anything. I think I know why they did what they did.

But... is it a game or is it a website?
    Actually that whole vendor search feature, I mean the whole idea is much more like a website interface than... part of a game. It's missing kind of a gaming experience I expect from... well... a game (be it MMO or not, be it RP or not). The only part that reminds me I am using a game (and not just Firefox) is that grey map item we get. Sadly, though, looking at the whole concept - even the map seems obsolete to me. They could have just added one more button to the grey page instead and skip the map. I won't bother with that map much, I guess. After all a map is a very simple item and won't create enough of an atmosphere which I desire.

Gaming experience?
    In a game it would make more sense to have NPCs to interact with you - not a "website". A fairy (or even an orc) should lead me to my destination. I don't want to see that much of a "beauty of gray and boxes". Instead it would make more sense to interact with NPCs: A fairy with magery abilities, a fairy who can open a moongate. (Leading to a vendor) If not a fairy - maybe a "librarian" or an orc mage. Any NPC. Even a crystal ball to interact with would create more 'atmosphere'. One that you need to talk to to get what you desire. I agree if done wrong this could be tedious and cumbersome. It does not necessarily need to be tedious. A simple but great design should - theoretically - be possible IMHO.
    There'd be a lot of more options to make it feel more like a game and less than a website. No offense meant! But I am sad the opportunity to create a fantastic new thing has not been taken. In a few weeks we probably use it every day (I might, too) and it will become a normal part of UO and we won't talk about it much any longer. But it won't be a new kind of gaming experience that has been brought to UO. Instead it will be a website-like interface, a UI, a grey rectangle. It won't feel like a game.

If you don't like NPCs, ok. But I am sure there would be other ideas that would be more atmospheric than clicking a menu item on your character doll's mouse menu. One more idea: Those search categories (misc., skills 1-5, fencing, swords, fire damage, etc. etc.) could be resembled by pillars. Pillars that are placed in a city and accessible by anyone. You could turn them "on" or "off" like that greyish menu and basically it would trigger the very same search capabilities. But at least you'd be interacting with UO world objects and not just click buttons on a website. If pillars are bad, you could use books. One book per category. Books that are locked down in a public spot - or books that you loot from monsters.

Even if everybody thinks all of my ideas are really bad... I don't think implanting a website into UO adds much to the gaming atmosphere. A plethora of greyness, of buttons and filters and input boxes. Disclaimer: I don't want to discuss my ideas of NPCs or pillars. I know a lot of people won't like them at all. My point is simply: I want to play a game. I don't want a website within UO.

The fact that it does not work properly yet will all be forgiven soon. They'll get it to work, I am sure. Seems like a case of "released just a few days too early". Good luck fixing it! I hope upcoming weekend will be less stressful so you can relax some.

Gidge and a slave girl like this.
  35. flappy6

flappy6 Sage

just wait three more hours....

36. Sinful Obsession

Sinful Obsession Lady Holiday DeLight

Ello all.. Not sure if anyone has had this problem but.. When I step on my house plot i can pick the vendor search (no it does not work) But when I step off my plot I can't even pick the vendor search. This is on Atl shard and I am in Malas. I try to go to Luna and try it, I can't even pick the vendor search. I even try going on someone else house in Luna! *shakes head*

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  37. kongomongo

kongomongo Lore Master

Check the docs, Vendor Search only works in a safe log-out location

Viquire likes this.
  38. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

It will also work when you're inside a justice region, i.e., a guard zone. So you can use it standing at a bank, but not in Buc's Den (even Trammel side) because there's no guard zone.

For anyone just trying it out now, if the Vendor Search option is grayed out on your character's context menu, you need to move to a guard zone or to a house where your character is an owner, co-owner, or friend. (Or the dev team has temporarily made the whole thing nonfunctional!)

When the publish was only active on Origin and Izumo, I was able to use the vendor search feature at home and while standing outside of a vendor's house in New Magincia. Since it went worldwide, I've been able to use it (albeit with no results provided) standing at banks in various towns, but not at the Buc's bank. It's acted a little wonky at times with being available at a house where my character is a co-owner or friend (i.e., sometimes it's available and sometimes the option is grayed out), but I tend to think that's a lag issue OR could be because my last, failed search attempt is somehow still being processed.

#38 Tina Small, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Viquire, Storm and G.v.P like this.
  39. BrianFreud

BrianFreud Lead Wiki Mod & Doer of Crazy Things
    Professional Wiki Editor Wiki Moderator Campaign Supporter

It's occurred to me, esp when I was still able to use vendor search on Izumo, that there is one important thing missing from the maps. As you say, search only works from a safe area. So I was tending to do searches in bulk from Luna, then going out to the various vendor results. But there's nothing on the maps to indicate what the search was. It'd be really nice if the search parameters were indicated on the maps in a multi-line note attribute (like the note with the item list on those pink scavenger books).

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  40. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

I discovered when the vendor search was active on Origin that you could use the map's context menu, once you arrived at the vendor, to have it open the container that contained the item you selected from the search results list to make the map.

41. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I have not been able work with the search feature yet. I have a question, is the search engine a word search like google? If I type in "chair" will all items with chair in the name show up, and then can I type in "stone" to narrow the search?

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  42. Sinful Obsession

Sinful Obsession Lady Holiday DeLight

Okay I get you have to be in a "Safe Zone" But its still not looking up anything. I thought they fixed it?

kRUXCg7 and Troop like this.
  43. Troop

Troop Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

The whole thing seems terribly complicated. I can't tell if it is working correctly or not. :eek:

kRUXCg7 and Parnoc like this.
  44. Riyana

Riyana Operations
    Administrator Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Campaign Patron

It's not. But your comment made me laugh. :p

kRUXCg7 and BrianFreud like this.
  45. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

It seems like the same ole same ole when it comes to publishes under EA. Test Center, Origin, and a Publish that is riddled with bugs. Seems like things are rushed by some big wig to meet a time window.

If I took this approach in my wordpress plugins I would be out of business with tons of angry customers and affiliates who would drop me like a hot rock. Product quality and customer support should be the top of any product or service marketer.

petemage and skittles1337 like this.
  46. skittles1337

skittles1337 Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I was able to use vendor search outside a log out area. Seems like this whole feature is bugged. Please stop pushing through publishes before they are ready. Starting to resemble EA/Mythic

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  47. MissEcho

MissEcho Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

So this is still obviously NOT fixed. Any news on when it will be? Yesterday took me over 2 hours to get the result of ONE search, have tested it again today and yet again am still waiting for a result. Been waiting over a hour now so am gonna log out and not bother. It should take 'SECONDS' not HOURS.

48. swroberts

swroberts Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

On Cats, the result is also 20-30 min delayed...and I was doing a test search for a ring with faster Casting of 1. Results did come, although I was fighting a Champion at the time abd it took up the whole screen.

49. AtlanticRealtor

AtlanticRealtor ICQ 647752375
    REALTOR

I hope they fix this "issue" the same way they fixed the Dupe Detection System!!!!

50. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

As much as I like the vendor search function I still find it easier to browse using a certain website. Wonder if they have any plans to bring out a website search facility.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  • About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!