1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

UO for the X-Box

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Angel of Sonoma, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Angel of Sonoma

Angel of Sonoma Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

This paragraph was posted in Stractics Off Topic forum (http://stratics.com/community/threads/windows-10-preview.344557/):

"...The only thing new beyond that that Windows 10 has to offer, is it's integration into the X-Box "ecosystem". Yes, you can now buy and play X-Box games on your Windows 10 PC. I've read various pundits proclaiming that Windows 10 may be, "the best Windows ever". That may or may not be true. I would however say that it represents Microsoft's attempts to catch up with the recent revolutions in computing, revolutions started by Apple and Google, in a way that hopefully includes the huge portion of Microsoft's client base that is still using Windows 7, or even Windows XP. ..."

For at least a year or 2 now, I have hoped Broadsword would consider making a UO client for the XBox.

I've tried to get my teenage son to play UO but he prefers his XBox games. When he did play UO, all he wanted to do was fight monsters and other players.

The Xbox games he plays are either 'shoot em up' or Minecraft. Has anyone seen the graphics for Minecraft? IMO, they resemble Legos on a game console. UO's graphics are state of the art in comparison. But Minecraft has housing and mining which, surprisingly, he & his friends seem to enjoy.

So...Why not a modified version of UO for the XBox? Since the game console mentality is mostly combat related, make UO Fel based only. Give the players the ability to own homes. Let them farm resources. Let them PVP & PVM. Think about the life this would bring to the game.

Granted the model could not be subscription based and I hope this thread doesn't turn into a F2P debate. It's just an idea to open UO to a whole new audience. I think this would be an awesome way to bring NEW players to the game.

Edited: Removed XBox 360 references.

#1 Angel of Sonoma, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    Vor likes this.
  2. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Governor Campaign Patron UWF

I would play UO exclusively on X-Box if they made a comparable client version on there. If they made it for X-Box though, it should be for X-Box One, not the older 360 console.

However... the reason of "why not" is a matter of scarce resources the developers' have. There are already enough bugs in the current two clients, let alone that they're working on a expansion, all with a fairly limited number of employees. It would likely also take some amount of legal issues and cost to release to X-Box (which Microsoft would have to approve of just about everything). My guess is outside help would be needed to accomplish all this.

Viper09 and Angel of Sonoma like this.
  3. Vor

Vor Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Well, I highly doubt they would. As interesting as it would be, it would need so many things to be reworked. I use my Xbox one controller for some RPGs on the PC, but I just can't picture how I'd do most things in UO with it. And I just can't see them putting so many resources into such a gamble.

And if they did it would surely be for the Xbox One. The 360 is into its dying days now.

On a similar note, I seem to recall (two years ago or more?) reading that UO had been greenlit for Steam. Whatever happened to that?

Riyana and Lord Frodo like this.
  4. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

That bridge is already there
    EA ANNOUNCES EA ACCESS ON XBOX ONE
    http://www.ea.com/news/ea-announces-ea-access-on-xbox-one

Angel of Sonoma likes this.
  5. Angel of Sonoma

I updated the post to remove the references to XBox 360. My son is still playing on the 360 so that was my (incorrect) point of reference. :oops:

Vor likes this.
  6. Angel of Sonoma

7. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Governor Campaign Patron UWF

Yes, I've been following as I am curious to potentially start up Dragon Age Inquisition again.

However, the issues mentioned in my previous post remain the same. It's going to take quite a bit more than that bridge and will be more than just flipping on some switch. I also only see modern console based games offered in the beta so far. Will be curious to see what PC games they could start to offer through it, let alone an 18 year old one.

There would also beg the question (and debate) - do both EC and CC get offered? Would it have to be a new client similar to one of the current clients? Which one? How much time and effort from the developers' is this worth? So on and so forth...

There are other issues such as X-Box One needing to come out with a much better keyboard (an official one from Microsoft). Atleast the few options I've tried were woeful (smart glass app, some controller connect device that hardly worked and was laggy when it did).

#7 Merlin, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  8. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I here you, rewriting UO would be a huge undertaking and Broadsword would need a lot, i mean a lot more people with XBOX programing smarts to do it. My son, who got me into UO plays XBOX shoot and kill games and the things he can do with his controller is unreal, keyboard PvPers in UO will play hell fighting an XBOX junkie with a controller. I would love to see him get back into UO PvP with a XBOX controller, he and a few of his friends go to gun fights with knives only to hone their skills, LOL.

9. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

They would definitely need to make the gameplay window larger if this ever happened.

Getting UO on Steam seems to be taking ages, can you imagine how long to port to a console?

We all know the answer already.....

Soon!

10. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Picture Jim Carrey saying IT'S GOOD to GOD and put the word SOON there

GOD would fall over laughing so hard.

11. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Is the Xbox One capable of running such an old program? ;)

Lord Frodo likes this.
  12. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Well when Windows 10 is released I believe, later on Xbox One is supposed to get an update that will allow some cross-compatibility between it and PC, and Mobile (windows phone) games. It may be that when this happens it will be possible to play UO on the Xbox One, though some of the runtime requirements for UO might stand in the way, we'll have to wait an see. Either way, it will make the job much less daunting for crossing platform.

Merlin likes this.
  13. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

There are certain requirements to be integrated with Steam - mainly their website and store as well as coding to allow for achievements and such what not.
    When those are done (soon™), I believe UO will be Steam enabled.... (soon™)

14. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

So correct me if I am wrong...

Xbox live service is about 50 bones a year,

Then EA adds a 60 bones a year service.

Then you pay an X-amount of bones on whatever your type of internet you have.

Then if EA does not charge a sub for UO on xbox , which I am appalled that I even typed that because we all know better.

Am, I right by adding all that together?

15. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

You aren't but a person who's wanting to play UO on the Xbox, probably isn't looking to only play UO on their Xbox, they probably are playing other online games as well.