1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[UO Herald] Holiday Season Contest

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Nov 8, 2012.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

Community News
    2012 Nov 08 22:01 GMT
    It’s the time of the year that everyone gets creative and decorates their homes to reflect their feelings of the holidays. UO would like to announce a Holiday House Decorating Contest. Petra from stratics has been kind enough to help out with gathering and setting up the voting page for the contest. There will be 10 winners total and you as the players will help pick the winners. The rewards will be a special hued talking Snowman and the top voted design will have their house go down in the history of UO by making it a mini house that will be available next year. This time you guys are the judges!

Rules
    1 entry per account
    10 winners total
    Submit pictures to [email protected]
    Submissions close December 5th, 2012 and Voting closes December 15th, 2012
    All entries must have a character name, shard, facet and location
    All pictures submitted must be in jpg format

We look forward to seeing your creative decorations!

Continue reading...

Queen Mum, Eaerendil, Frarc and 3 others like this.
  2. Sauteed Onion

This is a fine idea, but assuming 10 winners are selected among the many who participate; I think the gifts should be flip flopped.. The top get EACH get their house to go down in history by having a mini house made in their honor; and the winner winner gets a special hued snowman. (Their choice of holiday statue/item would be ideal). Granted it's awesome that this is happening at all; but I think that'd be the more logical choice meow.

-Edited in some additional sense-

My reasoning is that there are some people who've waited a LONG time to get more mini house selections for their collections; and spitting one out for people who've been waiting 7-8 years for a broader selection is like dropping a drip of water on the tongue of a pile of ashes. I hope that makes a little sense. Then you've got to think of the repercussions of caving in and just releasing a bajillion or even 5 or 10 more mini houses in the coming months, peeing on the person who effectively won your competition. I dunno. Kitty might be on to something; or just completely working against the grain to anger you.. I think kitty is on the first case more.

#2 Sauteed Onion, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  3. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I seem to understand that we, the players, are going to vote for the winners ?

Are we going to vote on Stratics or where else ? How ?

Any details about how the voting will work ? Can I vote multiple times ? What if I make new accounts for Stratics' or for whatever other web site where the voting will happen ? Can I then get to have as many votes as accounts I make for the voting site, or will I just be able to cast 1 vote, period, no matter how many new accounts I can make for the voting site ?

4. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I am sure details will be coming! Petra is off right now so be patient

5. Jade of Sonoma

Jade of Sonoma Babbling Loonie

This type of contest has always been a great deal of fun and to see what the players come up with, is always amazing.

Even though I won't be entering the contest, I am concerned about the Player Vote System. I am not sure it will be fair. Large guilds on every shard dominate. The little guy who might come up with the BEST IN SHOW doesn't get the votes. I remember running around and finding houses that were incredible but the owner didn't even know about the contest. Things like that happen.

So maybe submitting votes for houses players find that should be submitted could also require judges running around checking their shard for those fantastic creative houses that would otherwise be missed. A prize to the player who finds the winning house hidden somewhere. LOL ..ooops this could seriously get out of hand. Good luck with the contest. It will all be fun anyhow.

Could judging be done more fairly by selected boards of judges on each shard? This has worked in the past.

#5 Jade of Sonoma, Nov 8, 2012
    Lady Lava likes this.
  6. Lady Raja

Lady Raja Sage
    Stratics Veteran

My only inquiry on this "10 winners total" and "The rewards will be a special hued talking Snowman"...

Since there is only 10 winners total, how will the Snowman be distributed out? Will it be in code form? If so, who wants to sell me their code when they win? :D

I do love a good contest, but I am halfway done with my "Pixie Museum" and there is no way I am going to re-deign another house plan... :(

:mylittlepony: Thanks!

P.S.
    Fruit Basket!

7. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Mythic and Stratics are breaking new ground here. Every effort is being made to ensure fair play.

CovenantX, Eaerendil and ShadowTrauma like this.
  8. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Lady Raja... I have to see your pixie house.

ShadowTrauma likes this.
  9. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Cool idea! Too bad I've never collected Xmas deco lol

10. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

How are the players that are not using UOStratics ever going to find out about this? Are they going to make an ingame voting system when you log in?

#10 Lord Frodo, Nov 8, 2012
  11. Gospel

Gospel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Why don't you just relax and wait for further details? Have you seen housing contests in the past use in-game voting? God people are so quick to find something to scream "unfair!" about.

Eaerendil likes this.
  12. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Ask 2 simple questions and OMG, talk about somebody that needs to relax.

13. Lady Raja

Lady Raja Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Kelmo, if you want to see it, I can show you next time we are both on. :) I do not mind showing anyone that wants to see the place while it is still being renovated...

The only things I really have to finish is my bedroom and bathroom. I think I got everything that has to do with a Pixie, Fey, Fae, and even Fairy on Siege... Sir Morder's "Giant Pixie" Halloween Costume was one of the last things I needed to complete the "Pixie Museum". At least I hope it is the last thing... :rolleyes:

I been talking to Famine, and a little wth Doive about maybe linking all our museums together. Of course my museum lacks the more rare and unique items that Famine and Doive has... :( Then again, that is not my area of focus... I am all about the Love/Hate romance with these cute, but stupid Pixies... :D

:mylittlepony: Thanks!

14. Gospel

Gospel Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

It would be great if there was an in game voting system to be sure, but how exactly would they do that? They're going to have an in-game gump pop up with detailed pictures of every floor of every house that enters the contest? That doesn't seem like a realistic option. If someone can come up with an easy to implement system I'd be interested to hear it though.

Considering some people have quite a few accounts (didn't Storm say she has 53?) I don't know how balanced even one vote per account would be as opposed to one vote per forum member or whatever. Either way I'm sure someone will cry they've been persecuted.

15. Eaerendil

Eaerendil Younger than Kelmo, but also in the way...
    Professional Governor Stratics Veteran King'sYewHighlanders

GREAT IDEA!!!! Dont have enough deco for being competitive, but I will help judging. And again folks: Just wait for the details, be patient. I can´t stand all this whining and criticizing.We all should be happy that they are delivering new ideas to the community. So: Thank you for this great idea!

I always liked ideas like these. No scrolls, no armor as rewards - so no complaints about how "unfair" things might be... It´s just deco. Be happy and calm down!

Tjalle likes this.
  16. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

When they say talking is that audio like the Parrots when they say hello not text over there heads?

17. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Voting will be on
    UO Stratics *New*
    - not on the boards
    You will not need to register with Stratics to vote
    You will get one vote
    The main posting for this is on uo.com, I'm sure when submissions close and voting opens uo.com will also carry a link for people to cast their votes.

18. Shamus Turlough

Shamus Turlough Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Judging will be done by a specially designed site on uo.stratics.com. Petra has worked hard to make the judging fair for all involved.

#18 Shamus Turlough, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  19. Symma

Symma Certifiable

Oooo time to get designing!!

20. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

A tip for those who do not have that much christmas items.
    Use ingame items to create "christmas stuff". With all the items available in this world and all the dyeing options we have I´m sure it´s possible to make a christmas feeling in your house if you´re creative. :)

Leather Lucy likes this.
  21. Petra Fyde

If you don't have 'Christmas stuff' or perhaps don't celebrate that holiday, you could do a different holiday theme. Thanksgiving maybe?

22. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

Yeah I noticed it doesn't say CHRISTMAS decorating contest...HOLIDAY...and Thanksgiving is coming up....I'd love to see Thanksgiving-Themed Deco :)

23. Kyronix

Kyronix UO Designer
    VIP

If someone makes a Thanksgiving themed housed I'm going to eat allllllll the turkeys. All of them, and the pies too! :D

#23 Kyronix, Nov 9, 2012
    Lady Tia, Slickjack and Syrus like this.
  24. LadyElizabeth

LadyElizabeth Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

As the rules don't state anything about the shard, I would assume a house built on Test Center would be acceptable? That would make sense for those who have houses they can't customize or, like in Raja's case, don't want to destroy their hard work on their prodo shard.
    If that's the case, remember you can copy your decorative items over, multiple times if need be, to get that holiday theme going.

25. Mesanna

Mesanna UO Producer | Dark OverLady
    VIP Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Remember this is a HOLIDAY Contest so pick your holiday it doesn't have to be Christmas. But I do need to make a small change, I am sorry I did not play with this longer before posting the rewards. Egor the Snowman seems to be on strike and refuses to come out till his dungeon is revamped so he has an up to date area to live through out the year.

So with that being said please look at the attached screenshot of the new rewards. For a little variety I have picked 10 hues and you will be able to pick the hue that best suits your decorations. Sorry for the confusion and I hope you like the change.

Good luck everyone!!

Attached Files:

#25 Mesanna, Nov 9, 2012
  26. Tazar

Tazar Guest

I think test is OK - but you'd run the risk of it being wiped at any point since this does happen occasionally. I'd hate to see you build it all - only to have it go *poof*.

27. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I'm just decorating my castle doesn't say it has to be a customized house.

28. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

My concern with TC would be if you win because it asks for character,shard etc and if you receive the prize on tc eventually it will be deleted

Jade of Sonoma likes this.
  29. Lady Tia

Lady Tia Certifiable

Any house, large or small.

30. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

A very good point. First risk is that the shard might get wiped at any point before the judging, second risk is the reward. A reward on TC would be stuck on TC (and eventually deleted). I wouldn't suggest doing it there.

31. Zynia

Zynia Lore Master

Raja, that's exactly how I feel. I plopped a house down, got 3/4 decorated, and then moved. Now I'm almost finished decorating it again... Time for a twist in plans. And I'd also love to see your fairy house! :)

As much as those colors deem to be popular these days, maybe you could throw in two older colors? Like the "Good" and "Evil" hues from the old hero system.. Something we haven't really seen in a while over the same-ish hues we just collected for harpiscords? I'm probably the only people in game sick of ugly neon colors, but I'm such a sucker for the classics.

#31 Zynia, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  32. Queen Mum

Queen Mum Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Couple of questions ...

For the mini house design, will the inside of home be considered or just the architectural design? *not sure how they would consider the inside deco for mini house design deed ...

Is the whole house considered or can it be just a floor or two designed in Holiday Season theme?

TY
    *cookie hugs*

33. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

DARN IT! *goes off to think of another idea and stores her pet turkey back in the stables*

You're just no FUN! :gun:

Jade of Sonoma and Queen Mum like this.
  34. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

My guess would be that since the "winner" will be made into a mini house what you design ought to consider that. Since no one can see the inside of a Mini-house. But maybe that's just me.

ShadowTrauma and Viquire like this.
  35. Tamergirl

Tamergirl Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Wondering if possibly there could be a collaboration with the shard EM's to lock down the runes to the houses entered in the contest at perhaps the EM Hall, Awards Hall or even somewhere in Luna? That way we can go have a look at the houses on our home shards and others to enjoy the "real" thing before casting our votes. Maybe stick them in a rune book and lock the rune book down to reduce the amount of runes locked down.

36. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

I always enjoy looking at Holiday decorations.. even IRL.
    I thought Mr. and Mrs. Claues's house was cool last year.

37. Zynia

Zynia Lore Master

Will we all have to wait until voting starts to see the entries?

38. MissEcho

MissEcho Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

So basically if you don't own a custom house there is no point in entering the competition as your classic house, being castle, keep or whatever won't be able to be made into a 'mini' house?

So am I correct? It is really not a competition for 'everyone' nor is it a 'deco' competition, but a custom house building design competition?

If the above is incorrect, could someone explain the prize if I deco my castle?

Really disappointed in this competition if those of us with classic houses are automatically out of the running. Or will they make a mini house out of my deco'd castle ???? Seriously would like my questions answered as I have already spent hours just on my ground floor, before it dawned on me that I could be totally wasting my time :(

Any comment or clarification from the powers that be?

39. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

how the entries will be judged I haven't a clue.. whether the entire design will be considered or whether people will just be looking with an eye towards how it will appear as a miniature is up to each alone (this is a voting thing, yes? all entries judged by us, the players?)

as far as the castle goes, I would imagine that any decorations on the exterior surfaces would also be visible in a miniature

and I'm not a 'power', Miss Echo, but please go ahead and finish your design and enter it!

40. Adol

Adol Certifiable

Someone told me the prizes are awarded on the shard that the house exists on? If that's the case then castle owners will struggle yes... but if it's on your home shard, you can always make a custom house on Test Centre instead?

41. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Adol, as far as I know, there has been only guesswork regarding where the prize is awarded, and since the contest is 'by account' it would seem only fair that the account could claim it on the shard of their choice. I do not recall any official confirmation of prizes being award to the account only on the shard that the design sits on. It was pointed out, however, that test center would be risky since it may get wiped before judging is completed.

Some official clarification on this point would be appreciated, I'm sure.

42. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

I think that if people want to use TC for their contest enteries,screen shots of each floor should be accepted. The reward should be in code form that can be used on any shard.

43. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager

Yeah I'm also curious about that. I know they have mini castle deeds but to incorporate the deco in with that...just curious how that would work.

Take my example..not the best mind you...from 2007? I think it was....how would you put this into a mini house deed?

Mind you this is just the exterior....I had the inside decorated to.

[​IMG]

44. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I don't see any reason why those who own classic houses should be excluded from the contest. They shouldn't exclude people just because its a classic design and I can't imagine them doing so. So don't worry yourself with speculation over the min-house deed reward, you're not the only one with a classic house to decorate, just take a look at Larisa's picture. So decorate, have fun!

#44 Viper09, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  45. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

^^^ This has been the issue forever now... ^^^^

My suggestion:

[​IMG]

46. startle

Oh, btw...

Only 10 days left now!
    ;)

47. Jade of Sonoma

Jade of Sonoma Babbling Loonie

Eloquently and brillantly described! Sauteed Onion, did you make that up or is that from something you heard somewhere?

There are many pros and cons about contests, but take them for what they are worth and enjoy decorating your house the way you want without expecting perfectly controlled/advertised/judged events. It's all about enjoying what you do anyhow and who ever gets their house duplicated as a "mini house" at least gets that much to enjoy no matter how many mini-houses come before or after theirs.

I love hunting around for houses on the various shards to see the work and creativity put into making them a holiday celebration! Laurisa's Christmas Castle is beautiful !

T'is the season and thus, starting Dec.1st, decorating Arctic Gardens for Christmas would be fun. Not for any contest though.

#47 Jade of Sonoma, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  48. Sauteed Onion

I just made it up, but was truly inspired by what this came across to me as in a metaphorical sense.. meow. Also, I wish they'd put cinnamon rolls in game.

49. startle

I think that it would be most fair, if they published the Shard/Coords of ALL the entry's here... At least we could all go see for ourselves what was entered...

Just sayin........;)

#49 startle, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  50. Petra Fyde

When entries close (5th Dec) the voting page will go live. There might be a slight delay. Voting closes midnight 5th Dec, which is 5am for me. If there are a lot of late entries it may take me a short while to get them all listed on the poll. That page has pictures and locations for all the entries - though I had to get a bit creative to fit it all in to the allowed 'answer' space for the adapted poll plug in.

Everyone who has entered so far should have had an email back from me acknowledging receipt. If anyone hasn't, please re-send.

• About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!