1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[UO Herald] Letter from the Producer

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Jun 26, 2012.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

Hello everyone,
    First off I would like to thank everyone for their kind words to me regarding my promotion. I am writing this because some of you wanted an official Producer Letter so here goes. First I would like to address the Exodus Event reward. The +5 stat scroll will be put in the game as a permanent drop. This is something that was discussed as a team from the very beginning, so if you did not get one at Exodus or were not able to be at the event, you will be able to get it later.
    The second part is the future of UO. After we finish the holidays, which does take up a lot of time for creation for Halloween, anniversary, vet rewards etc, we are going to step back and do a major bug fixing publish. Currently we have documented 1173 known bugs in our system, I want to cut that number in half. This bug sprint will not happen till the first of the year so that will give me plenty of time to go over all the bugs in the thread on stratics to make sure we have those documented in our system.
    After the major bug sprint we will continue to put in updates to the dungeons, armor and monsters. Of course we will be throwing in other tidbits but it wouldn’t be any fun to tell you what they are now. =P
    I hope everyone enjoyed Exodus and with that being said here is a fitting screenshot for the downfall of Exodus!
    [​IMG]
    Bonnie "Mesanna" Armstrong
    Producer Ultima Online

Continue reading...

Arrgh, DJAd, ShadowTrauma and 17 others like this.
  2. Borric

Borric Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

If you reduce the number of bugs by half, you get my vote for President of the US.

Gidge, Lady Arwen and Reth like this.
  3. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Great news! I've always wanted to see a pure bug publish.

4. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Nice news, all sounds good to me.

We've had those ... oh wait, you mean REMOVING'.... ;)

eve, Sevin0oo0, Raptor85 and 5 others like this.
  5. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Thank you for giving us all an update. :)

6. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot

:ohsnap:

7. King_Fisher

King_Fisher Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

News of the future! **Audible Gasp** Communications of recent events! **Double Gasp** I hope that producer updates are going to be more common then they were in the past, But I don't know if I can take such shocks to my system.

8. Lightfoot

Lightfoot Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Although I believe fixing the bugs should be job #1, I am grateful to see a comment of the major problem bugs have become. As long as you don't think saying you'll work on fixing bugs in 6 months is the same as fixing the bugs, we should be ok.

Congratulations on getting what many would regard as a dream job. You have some tough acts to follow as well as some bad examples to avoid. I hope you can tell the difference.

Good luck!

9. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

Got my thumbs up! :thumbup:

10. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

k, who recognises themselves in that picture? Which shard did our Dark Overlady sneak onto? :D

11. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

What about the high resolution graphics update?

Madrid and Martyna Zmuir like this.
  12. O'Brien

O'Brien Thought Police

No refunds or exchanges shall be given on 100mil gp +5 stat scrolls. :lol: :popcorn:

13. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie

I think I can rule out Catskills.. I don't see myself where I was standing.

14. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Well sure glad I got 80m for scroll awesome the future looks bright I hope Messana isn't all talk like the others

O'Brien likes this.
  15. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

All that gonads and strife over the +5 stat scroll for naught.

16. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Waits for complaints from people who were taking advantage of bugs

outcry likes this.
  17. Swordsman

Swordsman Adventurer

very good, thanks for the update!

18. christy1221

christy1221 Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Yes thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

19. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

Will the new stat scroll be presented in the same item as was dropped from Exodus, or will the graphics and text of the scroll of commendation remain unique to this event? For those of us who value them for their unique and personalization knowing the answer to this question will significantly affect the value for those considering buying/selling.

20. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Goes off to invest 100mil into other useless items....woot:p

21. legendsguy

legendsguy Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Okay, I will not cancel my account yet. But I am curious how long of a wait it will be until the scrolls are added. Either way, I appreciate Mesanna addressing our concerns!

22. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

While it is nice to get confirmation that the scroll will continue to drop in some capacity- it really should have been announced sooner.

Not hatin, just sayin.

23. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

:twak:

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  24. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

sounds fair considering the new drop will be considerably easier exodus was one badass

25. SlobberKnocker

SlobberKnocker Slightly Crazed

Nice news regarding the plus 5. nice to see them going after bugs in the system. i would suspect with this game being what it is bugs will always be a part of the mix. that being said 1000 plus is too many.

on the plus 5, i will certainly not gloat over those who spent 100 mln for one on the after market however i'd like to say that there exists a cause and effect for things introduced in the game. a simple forwarning regarding something as important as a stat bump scroll should have been explained up front. we have a new desirable item to be handed out at the event. if you dont get one there either because u didnt do enough damage or u couldn't attend said event dont get your panties in a bunch. these willl be made an obtainable part of the game in the near future. simple sentence and a heads up the player base deserves.

if you wanted to make the event one a named drop and the future ones without names i think that would be fair and level for all in game.

public relations are an integral part of any business model.

Sinder Shayde and legendsguy like this.
  26. Shelleybean

Shelleybean Certifiable

Thanks Mesanna. You made my day. :)

27. Picus at the office

Stratics Veteran

Some forwarning might have been a good idea but there should be a better reward for those that showed up either way. This said it was in typical UO style for some to run out for the uber item and get clobbered for those actions.

I fondly recall when ML(?) came out and those boom sticks sold for 10 mil or more....made more money that first week than ever in this game I believe....now you can't throw them away fast enough.

28. CovenantX

CovenantX Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Bah! I missed Exodus, what kind of abilities did it have? and is there any way that it/something like it will become a peerless in one of the future dungeon revamps?

Also, does this new "+5 stat scroll" stack on top of an existing +25 to bring a person to a 260 stat-cap?

29. Mirt

Mirt Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I am so glad to see this. Fast quick and on track. Thank you Mesanna and let me tell you it went great on chesy.

30. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Watch them put them in Fel at a champ spawn. The controling guilds will keep the prices sky high. You may have gotten a deal at 100M if they do this.

31. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Also she never said when they will be put in so those that have them may have an advantage for some time until they get put in. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, its all a game.

32. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

I remember what hope feels like. :)

Mirt and Flutter like this.
  33. Borric

Borric Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

34. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Could we get a fix on the wording of the tag on the scroll once its been used? It should almost definitely be "Awarded to" instead of "Rewarded to", and "Exodus City" is an odd choice of name for the location as it was being referred to throughout as Ver Lor Reg. And yes, I realize this is very minor. :p

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  35. Picus at the office

Stratics Veteran

Sorry Ophid but by your own posting you knew there was a risk to purchasing these items. I can only imagine your frustration though and hope that my posting were not taken as a direct personal attack.

36. Katrena

Katrena Sage

The different color dragon in the lower left corner of the picture was on Chesapeake, so I guess Chesapeake. The real question is, did Mesanna get a +5 scroll?

Katrena

37. outcry

outcry Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

All I have to say is Someone Owes Petra A Public Apology....................... And as for the rest we have a new awesome bomb diggity Queen of Dead Producer, the future of UO has not look this bright in a long time ....... Sits back and waits for the new ride to begin

38. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

That's right, the UO Dev team caved so badly that they built a time machine, went back in time to when they were planning this event, and re-planned it so the reward would become a permanent drop.

You heard it here first, folks.

Nails Warstein likes this.
  39. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

And personally, I'm surprised that people are so focused on items. The producer's letter should be a much bigger topic. We are getting a bugfix publish, that's big and good. The graphics update was ignored, that's big and bad.

40. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

And everyone should have been told that instead of letting it boil over the weekend.

41. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

seems the destiny of UO is to stay clientless forever and worst of all the 15th anny "big thing" are just some rewards... I'm not saying that having more items around is bad, but the game is fossilized with an ancient client that gives no real visual satisfactions.
    The funny thing is the "T" rating with blood and violence where a red splash can be hardly considered blood and the violence is a bit static compared to the last decade games that can barely be considered violence... probably super mario is more violent than UO :D

What about an open source UO client at this point? closed source dll with the packet handlers, graphics and interface fully open source. I'm sure at this point that the community could achieve a better client and the UO devs could stay focused in the server side contents/bugs. Since there is no money/people to seriously take care about the client, probably the open source is the only way to save the game at this point...

O'Brien likes this.
  42. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

I asked Sir Ophid of Yew before: Did you really think the UO team was going to add something that gives +5 stats in an EM event?

An EM event.

Think.

43. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

If only that were true. Then they'd be able to stop the majority of AoS. Heck.. maybe even form a better solution than the facet split.

44. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

I went to answer in other thread before i read this one................ ok I was correct! Good going Mesanna I knew you had a good reason. Oh Petra how do i send in this new system a pm to mesanna....

45. sativa green

sativa green Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

they made this decision far before they did this event. if you thought for a minute something like this scroll would not be available to all players, you deserve to lose whatever money you spent on it. generally, people sell early and buy later know prices drop over time. i for one do not expect this scroll to be such an easy item to get once it's finally released, but it would be nice if it were offered on both trammel and felucca sides so the market is not cornered by a few guilds that run with 20 players.

legendsguy likes this.
  46. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

It looks like just a quick note or an informal letter to address mainly the scroll topic, the topic you wanted and introduce herself in her new position. But you're getting the couple topics you wanted addressed briefly you should be happy.

47. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Either you replied to the wrong person, or you need to get your sarcasm detectors recalibrated.

48. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

I'm not Petra, but I hope this helps:

How to Converse (Private Conversation) | Stratics Forums

49. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

I did, my apologies.

50. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I agree if she had said from the start that the scrolls would be offered later on too that it would have been nice. But perhaps she predicted, incorrectly, that people wouldn't be going so crazy over just a couple days about this item lol.