1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[UO Herald] Limited Services For EU and Oceania Shards During Maintenance - 10/19

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Oct 18, 2011.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

Greetings,

We will perform a network maintenance tomorrow, Wednesday 10/19, beginning at 8 am EDT (2 pm CEST). During the maintenance promotional codes and veteran rewards will be unavailable and login to the EU and Oceania shards will not be possible. However, all shards will stay online and open to players, which means that you can continue to play if you enter the shards before the beginning of the maintenace.

At this time we anticipate that all services will be back to normal no later than 1:00 pm EDT (7 pm CEST).

Thank you for your support.

More...

2. Kayne

Kayne Guest

Given that this affects those in Europe it may be wise to remember we do not run on american time. Give us the damn times in GMT/BST. Especially given that all times around the world are x amount of hours in front of or behind GMT - except those of us who are on GMT.

3. Kas Althume

Kas Althume Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

It says 2pm Central European Summer Time till 7pm Central European Summer Time ...

4. Kayne

Kayne Guest

I don't live in central Europe do i?

5. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

6. Kayne

Kayne Guest

Thanks Aurelius - can always trust a fellow European and Europa player to have the answer. Shame that the people who post this stuff dont consider that many of us don't know all the time zones.
    That and its far easier to work out times if they are given in GMT first. I know New York and Florida for instance are 5 or 6 hours behind GMT but I wouldnt have a clue about the letters that constitute their time zone.

7. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

The heading for this announcement is very, very misleading. If you only read the heading, you would think that Europa and Oceania will be available but services will be limited. However, the rest of the announcement says those shards (and presumably also Drachenfels) won't even be accessible!

How many players are going to just skip over this announcement if they don't play on Europa or Oceania and will then be surprised when they cannot log in on any other shard, or if they log out after the network maintenance starts and try to log in again on any other shard?

Does anyone at EA who actually plays UO on a regular basis even read these announcements to see if they make sense before they are posted?

The heading should say something like, "Oceania, Drachenfels, Europa, Log-In, Promo Code, & Vet Reward Servers Unavailable During 10/19 Network Maintenance."

Also, on the subject of announcements, some additional comments!

The UO Japan site has an announcement that the distribution of the compassion dyes has started again for accounts that didn't already receive them and will end November 8th. There's also an announcement about issues paying with credit cards (that I won't even begin to translate) that is, once again, apparently too trivial and unimportant to pass on to EA's English-speaking customers (it's here if you want to try to translate it: ƒjƒ…[ƒXÚ×). Plus, the UO Japan site has an announcement that there will be a special sale at the game code store in honor of the game's anniversary from 10/19 thru 11/2 with many half-price products (Rustic and Gothic theme packs, High Seas, Captain's Bundle, SA upgrade, 11th Anniversary collection). Hopefully this sale won't just apply to the Japanese gamecode store. ƒjƒ…[ƒXÚ×

We've seen none of these announcements on the UOHerald site. Why?

8. Spiritless

Spiritless Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Sorry but if you didn't know central Europe was 1 hour ahead of UK that's your issue. That's fairly basic knowledge, tbh. I'm surprised they provided the localized timezone as they don't usually, but in this case they did.

9. Kayne

Kayne Guest

How is it fairly basic knowledge, there isn't a subject in school for knowing timezones? I don't live in central Europe. I live in the GMT timezone you know that timezone that ALL others are derived from. I don't need to know the various timezones around the world because I have no use for that information. I only know the new york/florida one because Ive been to both places.

10. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie

So what do you propose? That they make the announcement and break it down to every available time zone in Europe?

How about taking the time to look it up yourself. They gave you the information. You could have found the answer to your own question much quicker than it took to write here and complain about it. They DID take into consideration a European time zone that appears to be central to Europe. Just because you're in GMT doesn't make it so that you have some special right to demand everything be posted in GMT.

Get over it.

11. Spiritless

Stratics Veteran

Lol, well... if you need school to tell you that the rather large contingent of countries on the same continent to which the UK belongs are 1hr ahead, including France next door... what can I say? Don't think I've met anyone from UK that doesn't know that.

12. Spiritless

Stratics Veteran

Also, for the record, you don't live in the "GMT timezone" right now. UK is observing BST, which is GMT+1. Times given in GMT would be 1 hour behind UK time, which I'm sure you'd probably criticize EA for too.

Or maybe you could, you know, just look the times up or perhaps learn some common ones and lose your ignorance. Learning the UK's timezone could be a good start.

13. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

It's often not that simple though, once countries start adding in summer times and such fun variations...

I do think it would not be too much to ask EA to list the times consistently for server work, they have a page for scheduled maintenance Answer that lists the times that relate to the server locations (I think.... that used to be the case, but I am not sure if everything is still where it used to be in the UO universe!) which lists the Europa /Drach times in GMT/UTC, yet announcements on the Herald usually pick EST for posting times, EDT for updates...

14. Kayne

Kayne Guest

Perhaps you are correct. I shall do exactly what you suggest. Thanks for the help :)

15. Vlaude

Vlaude Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

16. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

To err is human... ;)

17. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

18. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

I hope this will fix my accounts not aging. :)

19. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor

20. BahamaMama

BahamaMama Seasoned Veteran

US login servers are experiencing hiccups now.

21. Cirno

Cirno Purple Pony Princess
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

22. MedeaDF

MedeaDF Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Time Zone Converter

Yes, I use this all the time and it's perfect :)

(you can choose either time zones or places all over the world)