1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[UO Herald] Maintenance - All Shards 1:00PM EDT

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Jul 28, 2010.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

Greetings!

At 1:00PM EDT all shards will be brought offline for maintenance as we continue to improve our database systems. We anticipate all shards to be back online before 3:00PM EDT, thank you!

More...

2. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

EA Japan had this posted LAST NIGHT. Why is Mythic 13 hours behind on a game they control? :thumbdown:

3. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

LoL
    Wow...

4. canary

canary Guest

Because their communication has ALWAYS sucked and they don't want to set a different kind of precedent.

Just funny how they always comment how they are working towards improving communication and then do absolutely nothing about it. I'm going to hold them to that same standard regarding the 'third party tracking' systems. It's all just a carrot being dangled, regardless what Cal says. The proof is in things execution. You can talk it to death (or, in EA's case, NOT talk about it) but without results it is nothing, just lip service.

5. woody_cats

woody_cats Guest

be nice score one for team usa at least this time got it out 40 minutes early .
    that is better than there patch and publish info lately

6. Martyna Zmuir

Completely agreed.

Yeah, set that bar low enough so they don't need to work 'hard'. Since UO players seem to act like abused puppies, any interaction becomes "good interaction," regardless of how dysfunctional or sparse.

7. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot

Thanks for letting us know before it happened! :)

8. I was just about to logon. HURRY UP DEVS!!!! :pint:

9. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

Darn it!! I work ten hours a day and finally have a day off and the shards go down!?!? *Grrr* hmm.... looks like I need to take my frustration out on someone....:p *Thinks* Maybe I'll go and design a township banner and make sure none of the parts line up right... :owned:

hehehehe

10. R Traveler

R Traveler Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Last time they upgraded cheaters spreadsheet from Excel 4.0 to Excel 2003. Due 65k limit they upgrading it to Excel 2010.

:fake:

11. Theres these things called time zones. Japan is something like 13 hours ahead of the US.

12. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

LOL
    That's a funny response.
    He's complaining because they didn't make an announcement when they knew the shards were going down instead of waiting until less than an hour before they were taking them down. It's not like the future just caught up to us.

13. Amber Moon

Amber Moon Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

The first time I was ever Pk'd in UO was just after a mid day maintenance. Twas back in '98... logged in right after and thought.. "There is nobody on! good time to go shopping out in the woods.." rolleyes:

14. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

Given how EA/Mythic seem to work, I'm not sure you are right when you say they knew this was coming....

Mind you, since it's their database servers again,. they are probably now setting right a fault they introduced on the last 'upgrade' they did.

15. Martyna Zmuir

Mythic knew this yesterday, to assume otherwise is absurd.

They didn't announce it as an 'emergency maintainence,' few would complain about that.

EA Japan has far better customer service skills.

16. jtw1984

jtw1984 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Who cares? So you can't play UO for 2 hours! Clean, eat, or watch a movie. Hopefully it will really be two hours. haha

17. Lord Urza

Lord Urza Guest

/signed!

18. Dryzzid of Atlantic

Dryzzid of Atlantic Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Shards seem to be up now.

19. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah

Wow - upgrade to the database? Didn't know they were releasing updates to dBase IV.

Hahaha... Little old school computer humor....

20. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

As absurd as a company with a website for the game, Facebook and Twitter accounts for the game, and a semi-official forum but still can't tell their customers what is going on in advance?

I'm afraid I can easily see a scenario where some EA data maintenance guys, or contractors, had lined up to do this work - but word never got through the morass of the management and communications line through EA 'managers', EA/Mythic (or is that through EA/Bioware/Mythic? Or is it a contact at EA/Bioware? Or somewhere else.....), and God knows who else is in that supposed 'organisation'.

21. Martyna Zmuir

Yeah. Hence why I say their customer service skills suck. :(

Wait, if Mythic 'didn't know'... Then how did EA Japan know about it and post about it yesterday? They must have a functional crystal ball...

22. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

I think you're overestimating EA's organizational centralization. Mythic is pretty self-contained in their Northern Virginia office. Their staff of 30-or-so (depending on who's been laid off recently) maintenances the UO databases. I doubt EA hired some outside contractor to do this: this would cost more money than simply allowing Mythic to perform work that they’re capable of performing.

23. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

They upgraded their CP/M the other day, so this was bound to happen.

:)

24. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah

Yeah, and besides - everyone knows they upgraded to FoxPro years ago!

This is likely a cover up for the fact that they are taking this time to re-align their 1541-II disc drives again.

Load "*",8,1

25. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

IS that a joke? Why would an East Coast based company post that kind of news at 1:00 am ET for a 1:00 p.m. ET maintenance, lol.

26. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Why wouldn't they post about it as soon as they knew it was going to happen?

27. curlybeard

curlybeard Seasoned Veteran

Careful what you wish for. Improve communication and in some EA boardroom an executive VP glances at the twitter update. He recently routed all official EA twitter updates to his blackberry, to allow better control of 'messaging'. "Ultima Online? Ultima Online? Ultima ... Ultima ... I thought we killed that off years ago. Heck we haven't had an update on subscription numbers in ages." Gets on the phone to VA, "Unplug the Ultima Server! What?! There's how many? ... Yes, all of them."

28. Martyna Zmuir

Yes, it was sarcasm. Mythic knew about this sometime yesterday, at the latest - they probably knew about it last week... They didn't bother to announce it, outside Japan, until 40 mins before it was to start.

Its bad cusomer service.

29. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

our disappointment at the lack of timely communication has been passed on.

30. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Well, I wasn't here when the shards went down, but unless all of the shards didn't get a "Server Down" message, or unless there was a terrible revert, seems like business as usual. Athos posted news from Japan just before midnight ET, except, in Japan, it would have been maybe about 1 p.m. local time when he posted. That fits the 9 to 5 window in the absence of emergency. And if anyone really is curious why the Japan site gets news before we do, consider they are actually 13 hours ahead of us, lol. It's going to happen.

31. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

That's what they get for being too cheap to buy DSDD disks and using a 15 cent hole punch on those SSSD ones.

32. Boogy

Boogy Visitor

North Korea is BEST KOREA

33. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I agree with Martyna... the track record for customer service from EA/UO USA is poor... downright appalling...

Seriously if I did customer service like they do... well I could kill you.

I think customer service should be the #1 priority.

Letting your customers know what is in store for them is just common sense and the courteous thing to do.

Obviously courtesy and in my opinion common sense are lacking at EA. But then those things are lacking all over America so why are we continually upset and dismayed when we find it to be lacking?

34. Theo_GL

Theo_GL Grand Poobah

Ha Ha Ha! I did the SAME thing!