1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[UO Herald] Massively Evil Event

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Mar 23, 2009.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

[FONT=times new roman,times,serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]This weekend’s massively evil event will require that you be in the Shadowlords faction. Please remember if you are going to leave your current faction and join the Shadowlords it will take you 72 hours to leave. If you do not want to change factions or if you miss out on the time frame don’t worry, we will have another event for everyone else in the near future. Additional details regarding this event will be coming soon.[/FONT][/FONT]

More...

2. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

What the--

3. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

What?! Leave Minax?

4. Kurgan

Kurgan Guest

Sorry, thats just friggen lame..
    In order to partake. I have to join a faction....
    Talk about making an event only for some people...
    What if the current Faction leaders won't take anyone.
    They get to parttake in everything while the average joe gets to sit and watch..
    Good thinking EA.....
    :lame:

5. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Hmmm.
    Can't wait to hear more information with at least a few details about it.

6. Phaen Grey

Phaen Grey Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

guess its time to find out how to join a faction...

7. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

And the award for the must uneducated comment of Uhall for the day goes to.... Kurgan!

8. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Easy folks... *narrows eyes*

9. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

*blinks*.... *wonders what account that faction tamer is on*..... I think I have one in that faction.... But my main would NEVER join shadowlords!

10. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

*shrugs*

Hey, can't deny that it would only make sense that the factions, particularly the Shadow Lord faction, would have to have some significant part to this whole event.

11. Trevelyan

Trevelyan Guest

Lame. Factions always get attention!

12. Kellgory

Kellgory Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

What a bunch of horse shot. I'm not taking my chars out of their current faction, but I guess I can participate by killing all those that come to sign up for Shadowlords.

13. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

heehee

Yeah I guess if I were still in Factions this is exactly how I'd "participate." Camp the signup stone.

Makes sense.

-Galen's player

14. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

The Good Parts of This:

Factions is part of the game. Despite its participants'....oddness when it comes to anyone who hasn't been in it for years, it is part of the game and I have long-argued that it benefits when it's fully integrated into life in the game. Hence my not minding when the invasions were keyed to Factions in an unprecedented way.

Further, it makes sense that the event would focus on the Shadowlords Faction, for reasons that should be 100% obvious.

Also, sadly, players like evil and have long wanted evil events and evil content. To that end we've had Dread Mares, Nightmares, evil furniture, a champ spawn or two that caters to evil-ness, one of the must useful artifacts in the game is a Slayer for the only good-aligned creature type in the game, etc. Now, an evil event. I believe this is UO's first evil event that isn't player-run. I feel that people are sure to like it.

The Bad Parts of This:

Though it's rarely admitted, there's already a fair amount of evil content in the game. In addition to the above list, there's the glaring example of the Magincia Invasion, wherein players fighting to save the city were threatened with having GMs paged on them. Though a Vorpal Blade proved to be worth more than most pieces of rubble, there were some rubble pieces that were worth roughly 20 to 50 Vorpal Blades, and these rewards couldn't even be unlocked without doing something evil. Now we will doubtlessly have even more evil-only rewards.

Also, it's not like evil characters, or even specifically Shadowlords' characters, were prohibited from participating in the other events. Indeed, they were quite welcome despite how illogical that obviously is.

Fellies have shown little interest in events beyond griefing them. So, really, why an event that is oriented towards them? Hasn't EA learned its lessons with massively-grief EM events and the way the TB Faction on LS killed everyone who'd showed up to hear Casca's speech in Felucca?

Finally.....Evil without a chance to prevent it just feels REALLY wrong for UO; it doesn't at all feel like it's true to UO's model.

I'm sure there's more points on both sides but that's all I thought of at the moment.

Myself, I'm just going to ride things out and see what happens. I have enjoyed the events in this cycle, overall, and Draconi's earned himself a fair amount of good will with me. (And I'm sure that hearing that from one of the least-liked players on Stratics has absolutely made this all worth it to him. Yes, that was sarcastic.)

-Galen's player

15. Oriana

Oriana Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Ori in Shadowlords??? Is you people nuts?? I may have a fencer I can take for reporting purposes. But still, The Shadowlords? *shakes head*

16. sorry that one event I will not be going to as I have no plans in joining factions regardless if its only for one day.

17. Aboo

Aboo Guest

For those of us who don't do factions, it was a pretty intelligent question.

18. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Faction leaders have no say in who can and can't join. Anyone can join. ;)

19. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

Don't forget that when a guild leader joins a faction, all eligible guild members also join the faction. (Certain characters can't join and should automatically be booted out of the guild when the guild leader joins a faction.) If a guild leader quits a faction, everyone else in the guild also automatically quits the faction.

20. onthefifty

onthefifty Guest

Now that's truly evil :love:. It made me laugh out loud. Thanks.

21. Aboo

Aboo Guest

Thank you for being so pleasantly helpful with that answer. You're a sweetie!

22. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Glad to help :)

23. Farsight

Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I just have to say...

Bravo!

Seriously, events shouldn't just be limited to the goody two shoes of the world. The bad guys need some lovin' too!

Too bad I don't have anyone who would be a shadowlord. Could be fun. Oh well, next time.

Enjoy the event Shadowlords. Maybe I'll go visit on Drachs or Europa.

24. weins201

weins201 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

are you #$%^&*( kidding me.

whoever thought this idea up.

I and ALOT of my guildmates have spent many hours working to be were we are.

If you want an event with a specific guild make a GM run guild with a stone anyone can join and work off that do not force anyone to join a specific faction that is just absurd.

this is a very LAME idea

25. SwordBlaze

SwordBlaze Guest

PLEASE READ PEOPLE. Some of you are getting angry for nothing. Reds don't seem to complain when they can't do tram only events.

26. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

What's the fuss? Plainly stated, the rest of us are getting something too. Just not at this moment. Might be interesting to take my stealth/ghost over and watch some action :)

lol Swordblaze beat me to it :p

27. Gawin

Gawin Guest

I thought factions could not have more then X% in each faction. for balance purposes. if that is true do they plan on turning that off for the event.

I think this is a very sad attempt for the devs/EM's to try and force PVP on people who do not wish it.

28. Draconi

Draconi Most explosive UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

This was actually removed several publishes ago along with other random restrictions to factions.

29. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Indeed. People would be surprised what a little reading can do for you :p

If anything it's just a nice little gift for the PvPers.

Some need to take a little breather and read carefully.

30. phantus

phantus Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I was wondering when this was going to happen. Twas only a matter or time.

Ahhh the stealthers that will be upon us soon :hahaha:

31. Maplestone

Maplestone Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

And now we shall seperate the idealists from the opportunists :)

32. Berethrain

Berethrain Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

This one was a close second to most uneducated comment.

All factioners want is to have the bugs fixed. Not some shoddy event or new items...

The only good thing will be camping the sign up stone and killing the carebears.

33. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I find this intriguing, but it begs the question: can this event be griefed by other factions who come to slaughter participating players? Would that even be considered griefing or would that be considered the other factions opposing one of their foes? Is this a moot point since the event might not even be held in Felucca but just require being a faction member to teleport to a story region?

34. Flora Green

Flora Green Guest

Whew. And here I thought I'd have to put my whole real life on hold for something big.

35. It Lives

It Lives Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Way to bork it up Uo team. Thanks tons!

* oh the event has not started? This post is for the disaster the event WILL be*

36. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Check out this thread here:

A few details are being revealed by Draconi here

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=134095

37. JC the Builder

JC the Builder Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

If this is an event which is all about the Shadowlords I don't see a problem with it being invite only. Who else would need to hear a speech from the Shadowlord commander except his own troops?

38. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Why are people getting upset about this? I don't get it. Big deal, so there is a factions based event. One of...one. In 11 years of UO history. It's no different than events to gather resources (geared towards harvesters) or events geared towards the pvm crowd. I really like that they are mixing it up. For gosh sakes people, we all have at least 5 character slots, and most of us have multiple accounts. You don't have to join with your main character if you are so scared of screwing up faction status on another character, or don't know how to pvp. And you don't have to participate if you feel like you are being forced to pvp (rofl).

39. Draconi

Draconi Most explosive UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Indeed, in fact, who else has a *right* to hear such a speech and rally?

Who else has a *right* to heed their command, and commit to their dark work?

Only they who have sacrificed to the shadows, and accepted their new lords.

40. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

It's growing on me...

41. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

me no join factions just because it "should be so". also, my character alignments - even if I did Faction - would NOT be Shadowlords.

42. Berethrain

Stratics Veteran

So let me get this straight. During the event SL is going to have a room no one else can get in and this is permanent?

43. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

For everyone who hasn't checked the other thread:

44. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I am not sure I would want to plan a raid on the SL base when they are holding their pep rally...

45. Berethrain

Stratics Veteran

1. I would and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

2. That doesn't answer the question.

46. Jhym

Jhym Guest

Ah ha.

So the other factions should mobilize to take as many Shadowlord holdings as they can, hm?

:lol:

I'm glad they are finally breaking events up a bit, it makes it more interesting and less generic. I will wait for the next events that my characters can join, simple enough.

47. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I admire your boldness, but I have no answers. *nods*

48. omggrok

omggrok Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Events aim to, logically, follow a certain story arc. This arc has had heavy content with the Shadowlords and, yet, the events have catered to most everyone (reds excluded, from some). Requiring a rather minor, and possibly temporary, task to be completed beforehand is rather trivial in comparison to finishing the story they've set out on completing. If you can't accept that fact, or feel it's asking "too much of you", then simply pay attention to the story elsewhere. It's not only a "take" situation, there must be some "give" on either end.

All in all, if you're one of those complaining about having to alter faction status, thank you in advance from abstaining from the event. This will certainly lessen the spammers present, further aiding the storyline.

49. Berethrain

Stratics Veteran

How about Draconi?

50. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

We are Shadowlords. Join us or perish.