1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[UO Herald] New Fiction - A Good Use for an Old Sword

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Aug 6, 2010.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

Dawn loved rain.

Unfortunately there had not been any for several weeks. Nothing to be concerned about, she kept telling herself. There had been no natural or political fires during this time either. For that she was truly thankful.

So she decided to make some time to play.

More...

2. deadite

deadite Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend It's My Birthday

Good read.

3. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Def. Great job, Cal!

4. Trevelyan

Trevelyan Guest

I have a doll of Dasha

5. Cal_Mythic

Cal_Mythic Guest

Thanks G v. P ... There was a lot of editing to get the flow right.
    Mark and Mesanna helped ...

6. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Here's a question for you Cal. In a fantasy game where resurrection and undead states are prevalent, how do you approach the deaths of major story characters? Take Casca for instance. Who is to say some necromancer won't go dig up his remains and bring him back as a lich?

7. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni BRPA

Our shard confronts death in a unique manner.

We tend to interpret the death of a character (with some minor exceptions) as being 'knocked out' or 'near death.' You've experienced such a threshold of pain that the characters soul is severed from the flesh and is allowed to escape from what is otherwise a living human form. If the soul is rescued (ressurected) before the body dies (decays) it can return to reinhabit the body and live to fight another day. We tend to interpret those wearing death robes as souls (non-combatants) in RPvP Situations. Corpses are seen as comatose. The act of looting the corpse (body disappears) is interpreted as the character awakening.

If the characters form is killed (i.e. Casca or a killed RPC) it would take much more power to bring back that soul and clothe it in new flesh. Difficult but not impossible.

This interpretation allowed for us to have real death be possible in our fiction without death as a game mechanic becoming trivial or ignored. I remember being assassinated IC and being a witness at my own murder trial a month later. So I thought up this solution and have been using it since.

I don't know how the developers interpret it but that is how I do.

8. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

This was of concern within the Royal Guard on Europa - So we burnt his corpse. :p

9. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I can just see Mesanna "killing" words here and there :). Other editors might say, "Oh, you might want to change this, change that." Mesanna was probably like, "This word must die!!! Remove thyself, word!" And the word went on its merry little way to become absorbed by some other piece of fiction in the collective universe of creative cognition.