1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[UO Herald] New Fiction - In the Shadow of Virtue: A Thin Ray of Light

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Feb 10, 2011.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

Sword in hand, Dawn cautiously peered through the narrow window facing the balcony. With her free hand she buttoned her overcoat. It was late, she wasn’t sure how late. She had been lying in bed trying to sleep when she had heard a soft knock on her balcony door. Both moons were new this night and it was darker than usual. She blinked her eyes a few times to clear the cobwebs from her weary mind. On the stone railing of the balcony crouched a lone gargoyle, facing out into the courtyard. Long robes and a hood concealed their identity.

Dawn slid the bolt from the balcony door and opened it, keeping her sword between herself and the stranger. A hushed but familiar voice spoke as the gargoyle turned and lifted her hood, “I’m glad you were able to wake; I understand humans need a lot of sleep.”

Dawn lowered her sword and sighed. “Queen Zhah. I didn’t recognize you without your entourage.”

Zhah raised her eyebrow, “Indeed, it is I.” Zhah pulled her hood down once more and looked back at the courtyard under her wing. “May we go inside?” Dawn nodded and kept watch while Zhah folded her great wings and ducked into Dawn’s room.

Dawn shut the door and then peered out through the window once more. “It seems no one observed your approach… including my guards. I can’t say I’m happy about that.”

“I eluded your guards by magic, of course.” Self-satisfaction was visible on her face.

“That doesn’t make me feel better,” grumped Dawn. She lit a candle and checked the hallway for eavesdroppers.

The gargoyle stooped in the corner of Dawn’s room. She seemed uncomfortable with her wings pressed against the low ceiling. Her expression quickly grew serious. “I have been researching this demon Virtuebane and I believe I know his weakness.”

“That makes me feel better… what is it?”

“Humility.”

“As in, the virtue?”

“Indeed.”

Dawn sighed and sat down wearily on the side of her bed with her sword in her lap, “Now I’m feeling bad again, Zhah. Isn’t that a bit… bizarre? A bit esoteric? I was hoping you had an anti-Virtuebane cannon ball or something.”

“Esoteric, yes, I’m glad you know that word. We are talking about a demon, my dear. It makes perfect sense that his weakness is obscure and poetic.”

Dawn was now both skeptical and annoyed but she tried to remain calm. “Since you have obviously gone through a lot of trouble to tell me this, what is your theory?”

Unfazed by Dawn’s lack of enthusiasm, Zhah pulled over a bench and sat. It made Dawn uneasy to see Zhah looming over her in the candle light, her eyes wide with excitement, long fingernails clicking with glee as she revealed her pet idea. “The basis of my theory is this: Virtuebane is gaining power over your people by corrupting the three principles of your virtues: Truth, Love, and Courage.”

A frown crossed Dawn’s face. She tried to clear her worry-swamped mind and consider. “Well, my spies tell me that the Bane Chosen are initiating members by having them corrupt replicas of the Book of Truth.” Then something hit her that made her feel sick. She paused for fear of seeming foolish, but then pressed on. “More recently, two strangers sold me replicas of the Bell of Courage to place in the towns being attacked. Their pretense was to help morale. I have learned that Virtuebane has corrupted the bells in any town he takes…”

“Yes, exactly. Virtuebane is corrupting your people by corrupting the principles that support your virtues. It seems he is even gaining a supernatural power over those he has corrupted. In addition, I believe Virtuebane has your husband, Ors, and is corrupting Love through your torment.”

“I, too, suspect they have Ors, but I can’t discover where.” In her weariness, Dawn was losing her patience with this midnight tour of her personal failings. “You know Zhah, so far I’m still not feeling better. When are we going to get to Virtuebane’s weakness?”

“Humility.”

“Yes, you said that. Will you elaborate?”

“According to your own hallowed texts, Humility is the only virtue that isn’t dependant on the three principles. Arguably, it is the virtue that would grow in strength as the other virtues are diminished.”

“Oh, Zhah…. That theory is as thin as a farmhand’s purse on Sunday.”

“It’s not thin, it’s esoteric.”

Dawn shook her head, “Let’s say you are right: how are we going to forge a weapon out of humility?”

“You need something with spirit. Something your people will believe represents Humility. It is the corruption of the spirit found in the symbols of your principles that is empowering Virtuebane; you need an item with as much or more spirit to counter that kind of power. Do you have a widely known artifact with a humble beginning?”

Dawn looked at Zhah and opened her mouth as if she would speak. Could it really be I had the solution all along? she thought. Then she closed it, looked at her sword and shook her head.

“What?”

“No, it’s silly and sentimental.”

Zhah slumped forward, running her long fingers over her scalp. Then she sat up and looked Dawn directly in the eye. “My dear Dawn, I know you and I aren’t close… but I am your friend. I am indebted to you and your people for your help in providing resources to my dying world. I am here without telling my closest advisors in order to help you. I mean you no harm. If you have an idea, tell me.”

“Do you not trust your closest advisors?”

Zhah sighed, “In these strange times with secret enemies, neither of us can know who is reporting to Virtuebane. If I don’t tell my advisors where I am going, I don’t need to know if they can be trusted.”

“My sword was made from a plowshare.”

“What?”

“My sword, it was given to me by my grandfather. My great, great grandfather made it out of a plowshare after his farm was destroyed by orcs. He said he was not going to need a plow until he could keep the orcs from destroying the crop. It reminded him of his purpose, as it reminds me of mine. “

Zhah looked it over. “That is a very nice sword for having such inauspicious beginnings.”

“Well, my father had the hilt redone to dress it up a bit. And I had it imbued recently.”

Zhah considered this for a moment. “That sounds like a very fine weapon to destroy Virtuebane.”

“But it won’t work. I’ve already attacked him with it directly once while defending one of the towns and it didn’t’ seem to make a lot of difference. I finally had to retreat.”

“Well, there is a difference between a weapon being humble and a weapon being aligned to Humility. Just like there is a difference between being a bell and being a replica of the Bell of Courage.”

“Well, how do I align this sword to the virtue Humility?”

“I think it might be as simple as being blessed on the altar of Humility.”

“That’s all?! Just… that?”

“It’s worth trying.”

“I… suppose you’re right. I will do this publicly; it will serve a dual purpose. If it’s really the secret to harming him, it will force Virtuebane into reacting. One way or another, we will know. In the process, I can bring some hope to my people.”

Zhah knitted her brow. “That sounds exceedingly risky. If I am right he will bring his full force to bear to stop you. I will not be able to risk going with you, though I can recommend some gargoyles I trust.”

“Yes, risky. I agree that it would be unwise for both of us to attend. I will be vague in my announcement and just say we are going on an expedition to get a weapon against Virtuebane.

Zhah rose and pulled her hood back over her head. “For now, I must go, and you must sleep. I will visit you again when I know more.” She crept to the balcony door and opened it. Dawn followed her out.

As the gargoyle queen stepped up onto the railing, Dawn felt like she should say something, “Zhah,” she began. Zhah turned and looked back, but all Dawn could muster was “Thank you….” Zhah nodded her understanding, then leaped off the balcony and disappeared into the night.

More...

2. Vyal

Vyal Guest

"I was hoping you had an anti-Virtuebane cannon ball or something."

I feel ******** for reading this... Where is the freaking State of The game so I know if im going to close my accounts..

3. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

These queens are looking for a humility weapon... Do they not know there are tons of crooks of humility available? :confused::confused:

4. can we get our state of UO video..... or atleast a time frame.

5. Skrag

Skrag Visitor

Wow, could you guys try any harder to make Dawn sound like a moron? "That makes me feel bad!" and "I hoped you had a cannonball!" and all that. Wow. I just had to have some fun with this.

6. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Maybe they had George Lucas write it.

7. georox

georox Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I would call it bad fanfiction but I didn't see any steamy stuff. Does someone really get paid to write this trash? I could do better!

8. BeefSupreme

BeefSupreme Guest

There is so much win in the satire!

9. BeefSupreme

BeefSupreme Guest

I'm hiding behind my monitor so others dont see me laughing!

10. Liquid_Ape

Liquid_Ape Guest

Well played, sir... well played.

11. Rumil of Lorain

Rumil of Lorain Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

looks like one of my first stories had a place to go but didnt make the trip

12. WarderDragon

WarderDragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni BRPA

Not bad at all. Your best piece so far.

Though I do believe the Sword of Dawn was given to her grandfather by Lord Cantabrigian British. Whether the two are one and the same should be established at some future point.

13. canary

canary Guest

Welcome to UO, where even their fiction is done unprofessionally.

14. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Skrag, that was awesome parody :thumbup1:

Mark, you need a copy editor. Seriously.

While not quite as bad a Minax's "big red smile" or when she "looked though her mascara," the line about Zhah's "long fingernails clicking with glee as she revealed her pet idea." is just atrocious.

Zhah comes off as barely Queen-like, while Dawn comes off as nearly indifferent and sulky. You aren't writing a Twilight hack, quit with the angst. Both queens needs to be depicted as strong and capable. These stories seriously do disservice to the EMs who actually portray both queens as complex characters. (Yes, playing on GL has spoiled me. EM Malachi and EM Elizabella have capably and believably played both queens on numerous occasions.)

If sparkly vampires show up in any of your future stories, there will be trouble...

15. HD2300

HD2300 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

16. canary

canary Guest

I think Skrag's story should be posted on the Herald instead. Just saying. :p

17. Ya needs low int and high stam to be effective with a humility Crook ... not to mention herding 120s
    pfffft!
    they ain't exactly as common as mongbat poo ... is all I'm saying.

git along little bane ... giddy up ha ha heh! git hey! shooo!
    :(

18. Nimuaq

Nimuaq Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

As far as I understand: We know Virtuebane is essentially after the crystal of duplicity. Bane forces first sacked ophidian blackrock, then meer power crystals and finally attacked Britain with blackrock golems using these resources to stole the crystal. Minax was also after the crystal, so if Virtuebane couldnt stole the crystal, either Minax did or Dawn herself made it look like it is stolen (using Ricardo, Avery or some other way).

Since we've seen ophidians and meer fighting against the bane chosen, I'd expect them to help Dawn instead of Queen Zhah who has no relation to the Bane whatsoever. Also, since Zhah herself seems to have learned about Humility from the old texts of Britannia, Dexter the royal mage -who should have been investigating the weakness of Virtuebane anways- could also come up with a plan. Furthermore, since we've also seen Geoffrey recently, I'd also expect him to advise Dawn in these hard times.

I also agree with the previous posts, Dawn fails to inspire any confidence in readers as a leader yet alone a Queen.

19. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

While Martyna's player's post covers some of the issues in the fiction quite nicely (I agree with most of that post), they deserve praise for having fiction. It is also, as Martyna's player has also pointed out, far from the worst fiction of this event cycle.

Most of the issues with this event cycle have been stylistic more than substantive. The substance is actually fairly intriguing (the idea of an enemy who in essence poses a moral threat as well as a physical one, and who exploits the fact that none of us is as good in the dark as we are in the light), especially as it's been filled in by Great Lakes' Event Moderators. (This post, when you think about it, is good in substantive outline; it's the stylistic details that make us squirm. And fictional writing rises and falls as much on style as on substance.)

I don't know what the opposite of a fanboi would be, but whatever it is, we sure have plenty of them on Stratics (more of them than fanbois), and in all honesty their presence is partly to blame for some of the issues in the event cycle. The thinking on the team might be, "why bother doing better when we get slammed even when we do." The fact that there are people who criticize them for having fiction, which is the implication of some posts in this thread, surprises me far more than it should.

I would urge the team, however, to remember that plenty of their playerbase are not "anti-fanbois" (for want of a better term at the moment) and to for their sake do better overall. Most of us will appreciate the effort whether we say so in public or not. Even if we don't have a Stratics account.

I'm glad there was fiction, I'm glad it didn't have obvious errors or any of that.

But, fiction, despite what "anti-fanbois" (that term is growing on me) might imply has always been critical to UO; it's the glue that keeps things together, the thing that lends meaning to what the characters do apart from a constant grind for better stuff. Once upon a time it was for the difference between a GM Katana and a Supremely Accurate Katana of Vanquishing, and now it is for the difference between the the Blade of Insanity and the Defiler of Virtue, but the idea is the same....And it's fiction that rounds out the everyday grind the characters, as everyday people, have to go through. We, therefore, expect a high standard for it, as we should.

I praise you for having fiction, I praise you for it not being terrible, and I ask you to do better overall. I think the characters and situations you have created deserve the effort. There has been better fiction in this event cycle, fiction that understood the characters better and presented them in a way that just felt better.

Fiction is every bit your work that coding is. And indeed, the fiction will be available on the Internet for years after the code has been changed or lost.

-Galen's player

20. Martyna Zmuir

Ricardo currently has the Crystal of Duplicity, not sure if all shards EMs did an event about it, but it is safe to assume it's cannon.

21. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

So...there really is an anti-Virtuebane cannon! :D

Honestly though, the story isn't great, but it's not that bad compared to some of the older ones.

It's in the middle of the night. Dawn has been worried over her missing husband and just had her sleep disturbed. Zhah doesn't know if she can trust her advisers and has flown/recalled/stealthed/polymorphed/invised her way to LB's Castle.

They are both worried and tired. There are no guards or subjects around. So the queens don't need to keep up appearances to show a strong and confident front.

They are with a fellow queen that knows what it is like being a ruler. Maybe the author wants them to let their hair down and act like a normal person.

22. covert

covert Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I don't know if this is directly related, but I found these at Humility moongate in Ilshenar.

[​IMG]

Wonder if things are finally starting to brew again...

23. Martyna Zmuir

I've been told that GL has a similar group of blackrock golems...

Not exactly subtle, is it?

EDIT: Using the EC, GL has at least 16 golems visible in the mountains around the Shrine... yeesh!

24. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

ls has them also ~

25. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Are the Blackrock golems camping the Sossarian Humility shrine too? Or are they just lazy and decided to camp the one next to a moongate?

26. Fat Midnight

Fat Midnight Visitor

Why even post these lies?

The Queen is a traitor, nothing more.

My loyalty is to the crown, not who wears it.

27. Martyna Zmuir

Nothing visible around the Humility Shrine on Fire Isle.

Chances are they decided to use the Ilshenar shrine because the players are lazy or don't know where the Britannian shrine is...

28. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Lazy devs and players more like. Why would Dawn go to the abandoned land of Ilshenar when she can go to the shrine in Sossaria? Doesn't make sense.

29. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

Also since when do gargoyles have eyebrows?

30. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

Some interesting thing about the UO politics:

- Emperor of tokuno speak once a year to say: "Hey dude all the beasts around here became thives (again) and steal everything from us, please help!"

- Gargoyles in ilshenar are always exclueded from the politics, they are an inferior race and do not deserve the right to speak.

- Queen Dawn: she rules everything and do whathever she want.

- Queen Zha: her world is falling into the void, her people wandering without a purpose around the city, and many others are escaped on trammel and live on sea. She still more important than tokuno emperor and the inferiors gargoyle on ilshenar that lives peacefully from years.

- Luna: driven by the mayor that likes to eat pixies and does nothing all day.

- Umbra: city without a leadership

31. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Katrina's Crook isn't UBW, and Dawn is clearly a swordswoman, duh! :p

Dawn is a moron, politically speaking. She's a warrior. She's never been written as anything but a warrior. She's what you get when you let a dexxer rule a kingdom. Meanwhile, Zhah is a confident mage. The fiction makes complete sense to me!

Every gargoyle except Whoopi Goldberg has them, because she shaves them off.

Well, I guess that settles it: they both play the EC. Otherwise, when Zhah goes off to fly at end she'd fly into a wall or something until the CC found a way to re-sync. Will you guys ever fix that?

Hm ... something with spirit ... if only ...

[​IMG]

32. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

Many of the things you cite/object to have actually been handled over the years by EM-run, shard-specific events and fiction and/or by players in RP communities. This includes the Ter Mur Void Plague, the leadership of Umbra, and the Empress of Tokuno.

I have noted over the years an ambiguous reaction to centralized fiction that goes past a certain point. For example, on certain shards certain folks were mad at the Event Moderators for certain things Casca was doing with player-run towns. Not mad at the character of Casca, mind you, but mad at the EM. Somehow they didn't catch on to the clues as to Casca's character, but rather assumed that official representatives of the game manufacturer were interfering in an out-of-character manner with their player towns.

Ideally in UO there should be room for all kinds of content. Centralized, non-centralized but official (EM-run), and player-run/non-official.

-Galen's player

33. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Ok, that really made me laugh. Thank you. :)

34. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

Dawn as played by the GL EMs is surely capable of being a good ruler. There was a beautiful moment during the blackrock golem/demon attack on Britain, when the Crystal of Duplicity got snatched up (as Martyna's player has pointed out, we now have reason to think it was Ricardo, not Virtuebane, who ended up with it), when most of us were ready to assume the city was lost, and withdraw, and Dawn basically wouldn't let us. She is generally speaking more-capable as played on GL than she is portrayed in the central fiction.

It's also too easy to ignore the positive signs from the official fiction. The quick quarantine of the Underworld (occurred off-stage), the idea of using the Bell of Courage to inspire us in the fights against Virtuebane (occurred off-stage), the capable diplomatic overtures toward Queen Zhah (occurred on-stage), the capable battlefield leadership (occurred on-stage, at least on GL).

And, unlike Lord British, Dawn is unlikely to vanish twice (only once with any explanation, and a weak one at that) and expect things to be handed back to her when she off-handedly decides to return.

Let me float this notion...It's pretty clear that most of the issues with the scenario are ones of style and presentation. Given that, wouldn't any ruler the Kingdom happened to have seem to have issues similar to Dawn's?

And let me further float this....To what degree is the dislike of Dawn simply a logical extension of the traditional instinctive dislike by too-many players of anything OSI/EA/Mythic does? Now keep in mind, I've found a lot to criticize the last few years and I haven't been bashful about it. I agree with the criticisms leveled against this particular piece by Martyna's player. (Though I find it much-preferable to no fiction at all.) But, still one has to wonder.

-Galen's player

35. Shelra

Shelra Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Originally Posted by Skrag [​IMG]
    Wow, could you guys try any harder to make Dawn sound like a moron? "That makes me feel bad!" and "I hoped you had a cannonball!" and all that. Wow. I just had to have some fun with this.

Originally Posted by G.v.P [​IMG]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tinsil [​IMG]
    Also since when do gargoyles have eyebrows?

Every gargoyle except Whoopi Goldberg has them, because she shaves them off.

Thanks guys - you have me rolling!!! LOL

36. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I'm glad there is fiction to progress the storyline, regardless of whether it is Pulitzer material or not.

I do wish there was some blurb directing us to consult the EM's websites, or to look for event listings on our shards for the next installment, or something.

37. HD2300

HD2300 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I'm just disappointed that they didnt go with a video version instead. Kate Winslet as Dawn and Zoe Saldana as the Queen would be my picks.

38. Adol

Adol Certifiable

Put me in the column of those hugely disappointed by the fiction; as a work of literature it was poor, but I dislike it mostly for the above reason. It had better not be just that. The overall arc was exceptionally well constructed at first, and it was good to have a sense of truly taking sides for or against the Bane; but it seems the opportunity to make it count in the longer term was wasted, and we've done increasingly less meaningful things since. The Books of Truth largely seems to have become just plot fluff, either owning one or corrupting one, and apart from replacing the guards in a city with Bane, the town invasions are irrelevant. Because how on earth does the Courage part of the plot make sense?

But to now be facing what is possibly the final event, with nothing more to do than potentially just wrestling a huge amount of spawn so a badly characterised, and infantile Dawn (a Dutch friend who has never played the game, but who I just showed the fiction stated "She sounds like a silly teenager") can hit Virtue Bane with a sword she could have used at any time, and bears no relation to anything we've done previously is... depressing, frankly. Especially as on Europa, Virtue Bane has never been seen previously, yet the plot seems to state he has been. And the rest of those plot holes...? How do we know Ricardo has the Crystal for instance? What happened to Minax's potential involvement? Why doesn't Dawn just quietly, and humbly go to the Shrine and bless it? Is it more Humble if she's got half the kingdom in train? How do we even know Virtue Bane leads the Bane? Who leaked that information? How does Zahn know about that, and Dawn didn't when the only Bane in the Underworld is one Bane Dragon spawn... do he and the Slasher of Veils get drunk together and talk in Gargish about stuff and junk?

I'm stretching some of my points here, but because to paraphrase a famous critical commentary elsewhere, suspension of disbelief here is getting stretched by the neck until dead, dead, dead. So please.... if we are staggering towards the finishing line here, can we please have some much tighter plotting?

39. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

My best guess is that this phase is about making Virtuebane attackable.

If this event finishes the storyline I'll be very surprised.

-Galen's player

40. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Have there been new invasions of towns since this publish rolled out?

There was stuff to fight on GL a couple of days ago, but nothing since the pub. Or at least that I have seen.

41. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

I think we're due sometime tonight on GL.

So if there's no invasion tonight then we should know if something's changed.

My guess is that the invasions continue for a bit but we shall see.

-Galen's player

42. Martyna Zmuir

Very nice, and rather spot-on for the metafiction... Sad, but true.

Again, I think I’m spoiled on GL. There, our EMs have fleshed out this plot since BEFORE it officially started. EM Malachi started the very beginnings in mid-November of ’09. It has steadily progressed, despite Mythic’s delaying the arc multiple times.

Despite the fiction, we’ve had a strong Queen Dawn, a visible and approachable Queen Zhah, and a LOT of interaction with the Bane Chosen outside the pedantic moustache-twisting “Muhahahaha!”-ing of the metafiction.

We’ve actually known about VirtueBane the ‘longest’ as well. We’ve had his name, albeit in Gargl, since early last summer. First we knew that he was a demon that led what we call the Conclave, a group of demons and evil gargoyles. We quickly learned that the Bane Chosen were his foot soldiers, designed to lull foolish humans and elves into believing his propaganda.

GL knows that Ricardo has the crystal of Duplicity because he’s said as much, and shown off its powers. (He used it to “clone” himself to give the Bane a merry chase..)

We’re spoiled, thanks to EM Malachi and EM Elizabella. Their supplemental fiction has helped with the suspension of disbelief issues associated with the metafiction plot holes that Jupiter could safely pass through.

I bet that if the metafiction was put into the hands of the EMs, those who have shown the ability to spin a good yarn, that we would have a far richer and move involving plotline. Potentially, one where some of the broader details weren’t the same across all shards.

43. Nimuaq

Nimuaq Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I checked this with our Ems in Europa. They said no information has been given on Ricardo stealing the crystal and it is a big unknown if he was the one who stole the crystal, at least for Europa.

Either the Ems of Great Lakes already know where the story is going even before it is released (no fiction on uoherald suggests Ricardo has the crystal) or they wanted to add something to the story arc which might or might not be true.

Is this information released to all Ems before the event?

44. Martyna Zmuir

Erm, well, I don't know exactly what they know.. But in OOC conversations after events its slipped that they have known about certain aspects months before official fiction was released.

I.E. VirtueBane was known about sometime in Spring/Early Summer of '10, but couldn’t be revealed till Autumn.

Perhaps some EMs know things others don't, which strikes me as odd, or perhaps some asked pointed questions so their shard's stories didn't directly conflict with metafiction.

Based on GL fiction, Ricardo was the one to steal the crystal from the throne room before the Bane could take it. Its been theorized that Queen Dawn either knew about this (as in authorized), or that she believed it is safe in his hands. GL knows that neither VirtueBane (and by extension the Conclave and the Bane Chosen), nor Minax have the crystal.

Metafiction wise, we all know that VirtueBane doesn't have it. Based on her personality, we would have seen Minax's big, red smile and would be feeling the power of her nefarious mascara-based minions pouring out of runegates... (sorry, couldn't help myself.. Minax was a red herring)

The only other possibility is that there IS some level of alternate 'outcomes' for this event. Personally, I would be shocked if Mythic pulled it off without ham-fisting it.

45. *looks to the ladies ... gets "the nod" *

When she forgets to tweeze?

:lol:

46. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

*nods in agreement*

While I'm divided on if global events should be left in EM hands as a general rule, Marty's player and I have both stated again and again that on Great Lakes the In the Shadow of Virtue event cycle has had a lot more meaning than it has had in the meta-fiction. What appears to be an occasional nuisance on most shards has, on Great Lakes, emerged instead as a long, harrowing epic of near-unbearable intensity. (And I mean that as a complement.) Our EMs have made the meta-fiction characters real and fleshed out the storyline considerably, really made it their own, very unique and special.

-Galen's player

47. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Both Dawn and Lord British are warriors, true enough. Neither earned their title through succession of royal bloodlines, only by their ability to fight. However, Dawn is far less tangible than Lord British, a manifestation derived straight from Ultima's creator. That's hard to top. And now she is written largely as a domestic woman, worried about her husband, uncertain about her abilities, and--for better or worse--she is the pigeon who has to keep the story going.

In order for Dawn to appear less ignorant, she would need a confidant, like an aide or a servant or a guard or something. Queen Zhah is meant to be somewhat mysterious, and has to appear more intelligent than Dawn if not only because Queen Zhah knows the ropes of leadership while Dawn is new to the position. Someone has to help explain what's going on by asking questions, and when it's a back-and-forth between the two queens, Dawn has to be the one who knows nothing. Perhaps one way to strengthen Dawn is to write more about her ability to fight, and her ability to teach others to fight.

48. Vallend

Vallend Sage

I posted the following on my shards boards but it is a little thing about the story that bugs me a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In the recent new story written by Mark Steelman in the HO herald (New Fiction - In the Shadow of Virtue: A Thin Ray of Light) it says this.

“My sword, it was given to me by my grandfather. My great, great grandfather made it out of a plowshare after his farm was destroyed by orcs. He said he was not going to need a plow until he could keep the orcs from destroying the crop. It reminded him of his purpose, as it reminds me of mine. “

Zhah looked it over. “That is a very nice sword for having such inauspicious beginnings.”

“Well, my father had the hilt redone to dress it up a bit. And I had it imbued recently.”

Well that did not sound right to me or not as I remembered it so I went and dug up the old comic that was in the "Lord Blackthorn's Revenge" box when you purchased it. Sure enough on page 4 bottom panel it shows Dawns grandfather giving her the sword and says this.

Grandfather: Thou hast learned from an old man. One who is getting too old to be using this.
    Dawn: No! The king gave you that sword - the sword of a knight, not a farm girl.
    Grandfather: Thou art worthy of it, Dawn it shall serve thee well.

So my question is this. If her sword was made by her great, great grandfather from a plowshare then how come in the comic Dawn says to her grandfather that the king gave it to him?

Did the king hold on to it after her great, great grandfather died and only give it to her grandfather when he became a royal knight of virtue? Though I always thought that weapons and armor were passed down through the families through the generations.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

49. Martyna Zmuir

*nudges Jupiter through the plot hole*

Commedy of errors, isn't it?

50. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

Easy fix, at least in my own version of how things went among kings and men...

My impromptu fiction
    And so, after the final battle of the war that sent so many souls from this realm, the King called before him a warrior who stood out in the battles, in this early morning battle, tall and strong while cleaving enemies in his path with his sword. The king looked at the warrior, in his eyes, and then at his bloodied sword.
    "Give me your sword" the king commanded, and the warrior did so. The king looked at it long in both hands before him, then held it to the sun and said:
    "I name this mighty sword "Dawn", bringer of a new world, for indeed it has done so on this morn following these long days of conflict." And then the king Looked to the warrior again, saying "I give you this sword, I have named it "Dawn", so that you may serve this realm through this sword. May you have many sons and daughters, and may they serve this realm as you do, with this sword at their side."

Or something like that.