1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[UO Herald] New UO Player Guide

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, May 30, 2012.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

We had spent a large amount of time sifting through all the guide information on the UO Herald to consolidate and streamline the UO Play Guide. Through diligence and dedication we are proud to announce we have finished the newly revamped player's guide and published links to download the pdf document.
    Whether you're a new player looking for answers to your questions or a veteran player looking to brush up some of your knowledge, the guide is full of great information! Follow the Playguide link in the navigation bar or click here to check it out.

Continue reading...

CovenantX, Mirt, Mapper and 2 others like this.
  2. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Oh, wow. I'm genuinely impressed. Nice job, team. :)

3. Sauteed Onion

I'm thumbing through the guide and liking it! Very well made. Any chance it can have a link to it directly put in the game? I think that would go a long way into getting the eyes it's intended for to gaze upon it : D

CovenantX likes this.
  4. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Well after scrolling through the guide the only thing I have to say is you need to add the following to the common Terminology:

• RP Role-Play
    • IC To talk "In-Character"
    • OOC To talk "Out of Character"
    After this you need a Role-play Guide section.

5. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Oooo this is very nice, I like!

6. Rupert Avery

I think it is an awesome guide... Needed badly and will be an awesome point of reference for anyone new :)

7. OvenBird

OvenBird Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

This is great guys!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

8. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor

Great job.

An article over at Massively giving some UO exposure with the player guide..

9. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

Very much needed, and I hope they start doing more on the official site to make it more attractive and better for new users.

CovenantX and Sauteed Onion like this.
  10. Lord Nabin

Lord Nabin High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
    Professional Premium Stratics Veteran Supporter Glorious Lord ACW

Thanks for taking the time and effort to get this done! Great Job!

11. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

It's not bad for a first step, but there's a long way to go. It's not a finished HTML website. The Atlas doesn't have every city, which is kind of odd since they don't even list Britannia. You'd think Brit would be the first one, not only because of alphabetical order but because of importance. Reagents only discusses Magery reagents. The link to Gargish Dictionary is spelled wrong in both the link text as well as the page title.

Speaking of which, why not copy and paste the original Gargish site? Or at least include the original introduction in a splash page?

I'm not trying to take anything away from the effort put into the PDF files, I just expect a finished product regarding the extra links. Otherwise, why include them? I also don't understand why the PDF is split into three files rather than one large file.

Sauteed Onion likes this.
  12. lit2fly

lit2fly Guest

great job team! very well made!

13. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

Well done! :)

14. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

A job well done, and one I understand the scale and complexity of. The work of many, many hours and weeks. And, unless I am mistaken, one which is already bearing fruit.
    Anyone willing to mentor a new player on Atlantic? His post is in the new player forum.

15. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

Where is the new player forum?

16. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

17. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Right Here: UO Players Corner

18. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

D´oh!
    Was combing Stratics looking for a "New Player Forum". :p

Thanks guys!

19. Ashlynn_L

Ashlynn_L Lore Master

I am glad they got this done as it was sorely need and it seems nice and comprehensive after having a look through it. Despite some people's apprehension about some of the changes in the game, the current team is at least doing things and they seem to care about the game. I actually believe that the website update and MyUO being fixed may actually happen too!

20. Lightning 1

Lightning 1 Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I am impressed. For years I have been explaining a number of these very same things to over a hundred people, one person at a time in game, without having the use of pictures. The guide seems to handle al or most of the things they needed to know ! Very well done. More content will only make it even better.

A large part of the Chesapeake new town of Oasis in Malas exists solely for this purpose. Mini classes are available from our list and instructional books, like how to use insurance, are there to avoid having to do on line searches. For many subjects, having these mini guides in game is a nice alternative. The town is sort of a learn by doing 'project' which, in less than a month, has helped a dozen returning or new players get up to speed.

This guide will be a great help even to us. I'll list it in the Self Help books. Thank you.

21. Amber Witch

Amber Witch Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Gilfane

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

22. Kelly O'Brian

Kelly O'Brian Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I am glad to see such a player guide. I would love to know where to send direct feedback to the author of the playguide in order to improve it.

In part 2 section 10 (Warriors and Archers) infos according to there so called "special abilities" are incorrect. First of all, (historically) the correct wording is "special moves". Secondly, tactics is needed for most of the weaponskill special moves, but there are exceptions replacing tactics (stealth, posioning, bushido, ninjitsu. Please check Special Moves - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia). At third, weapon's primary special move at both skills 70+ and weapon's secondary at both 90+. (please check: Publish 46 - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia)
    Beside that: wrestling need no additional skill to perform special moves!

Further i suggest to update the "Last Update ...2010"-notice at the bottom of the page Playguide | Mythic Entertainment | Ultima Online
    (and to remove UOKR from the subject menu on Feedback | Mythic Entertainment | Ultima Online)

PS: Hope to see further infos for the bard skills there

23. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

It looks good but even when they did remember Siege, some info is missing.
    Also the PvP section need a little Trammel/Fel note
    Do not work on Siege and Mugen

There are more differences.
    NPC vendors won't buy your wares and they do not sell resources ingots, wood, clothes ect.
    It's not possible to use any kind of recall on Siege.
    Siege do not have the starting town New Haven
    Factions are including some old Evil/Hero stuff but that's not so important for a newbie to know.

When reading the whole part of this, it may scare of newbies as unless Devs are going to remove Trammel code there are missing something, that tells the newbie, that this only exist in one facet named Felucca and on whole Siege.

Also old lower of UO year 1997-98 may be very dissapointed :p
    I think the Traveling section should had been before the PvP section

24. Reinzeld

Reinzeld Seasoned Veteran

Isn't the housing section incorrect, stating that you need five steps *behind* your house? That's only true if placing in front of another house, isn't it? Otherwise, you only need one space between you and a tree, or a mountain, or whatever?

25. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Yes this is true.

Between you and another stair you need 5 spaces...... and only need 1 space between you and rocks or trees or other blocking objects.

26. Minerva Foxglove

Stratics Veteran

A large part of the Chesapeake new town of Oasis in Malas exists solely for this purpose. Mini classes are available from our list and instructional books, like how to use insurance, are there to avoid having to do on line searches. For many subjects, having these mini guides in game is a nice alternative. The town is sort of a learn by doing 'project' which, in less than a month, has helped a dozen returning or new players get up to speed.

This guide will be a great help even to us. I'll list it in the Self Help books. Thank you.[/quote]

This sounds like what im doing on Europa. Im going to list this exellent guide as well. The "prob" with new players is that they are so eager to get started they cant stand still and listen. All they want(with exeptions ofcourse) is to rush off and try on their own. They soon find it wasnt a good idea, but they need that death and losing everything before they are willing to learn.
    An ingame place with friendly people that spends time to make them feel welcome , help them with armour spellbook and offer small very basic guides is very aprecheated by now. Atleast on my shard, Europa, most people dont have English as first language, or hardly speaks it at all, so a very very simple basic guide is what they can handle from the start. This will improve ower time, But for a new player who just want to play, a detailed net guide often seems" too much". After a while this change and the more patient newcomers will read it all.
    More could be done with more people involvedd, like classes , small hunts, new player guild connections..one could dream..
    The meeting with veteran players that actually see you and help you is what impress most on new players , remember how it was for you?
    Great guide, help the new and returning players to find it, but give them a bit of your time as well!

How can i find your town Oasis in Malas? It would be very interesting for me to see your version=)