1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[UO Herald] Producer's Update 09/23/10 - High Seas Open Beta Begins!

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Sep 23, 2010.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

At last, Beta for High Seas is now entering Open Beta - Rogues, sailors, merchants, and all adventurers who have been waiting for days of smoothly sailing Sosarian seas or brandishing scimitars against bandits or pirates will now have their appetites sated!

You can experience High Seas on Test Center 9 starting 24 September, 2010. The interim play guide for High Seas can be found here, and will walk you through the High Seas experience. Starting tomorrow, please provide your feedback here.

You can get a head start by downloading the clients here:
    http://web.cdn.eamythic.com/us/uo/installers/20100908/UOHSBeta_Classic.exe
    http://web.cdn.eamythic.com/us/uo/installers/20100908/UOHSBeta_Enhanced.exe

With the start of Beta we present an interesting challenge - scallywags need not apply! Your first task is to focus on the boss encounter against Scalis’ might. If you’re still up for more death and mayhem visit the island of Corgul the Soulbinder.

Internal testing shows that Scalis may be too powerful; however, I am of the mind that the extremely capable warriors of Britannia should make short work of him …

As we continue internal testing and development, and provide updates on the external test center, we’ll want your input on ship-to-ship combat, fishing, and quests at the sea markets as well.

When Ultima Online™: High Seas releases this fall all players will benefit from:

• Enhanced boat movement system and three new ship types with customizable colors, weapons and ammunition
    For $14.99 USD you can also enjoy:

• Brand new NPC Ship Combat with enhanced ship-to-ship combat and damage states
    • Bank/Character Storage Increase, Sea Markets, new fish, fishing buffs, and recipes, paintable boats, Level 7 Treasure Chests and new boss encounters: the Scalis and Corgul the Soulbinder
    • All new ship combat! Features include new ship to ship combat, ship weapons and ammunition, and NPC Ship Combat (Pirates and Merchants)
    And finally, stay tuned as we get closer to our Hall of Fame Award this Fall at GDC Online in Austin, Texas.

More exciting news to come for Ultima Online!

More...

2. It's going to be a busy weekend of pirating!

3. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

"File not found"

Can't download client.

4. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

What is this? Didn't they say we were going to get HOUSE/BANK storage. From the town hall
    Does Character Storage mean housing?

5. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

6. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I believe it is bank/housing like all of the other storage boosts, and boy do I need it. My castle is over flowing. I need to have a yard sale.

7. James_Mythic

James_Mythic Guest

looks like Stratic's has an erroneous link, if you delete the %20 at the end and reload it will work otherwise just visit the Herald directly :)

Thanks for pointing that out!

8. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

Thanks Viper!

9. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I sure hope so. This was the main reason I was going to buy it and the new craftables to support all those pirates.

10. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Well shiver my timbers!

I guess I know what I am doing this weekend!

11. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

So can we have these clients installed next to our regular ones? Or do they replace them?

12. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

It installed to a separate folder on my machine, and all Clients still worked. With the new Client, I could not log into a regular shard.

13. Sturdy

Sturdy Guest

Level 7 Treasure Maps

Level 7 maps can be found in one of 3 locations. First being in Level 6 treasure chests, Second being on either of the two boss mobs and Third a chance it will be with the loot from the Pirate encounters.
    :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

14. SirZ

SirZ Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Classic client update server don't working now :(

15. Madrid

Madrid Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

This is what we need more of...more world beaters.

Soloing Spawns and Peerless is what I primarily like to do more than anything else in the game.

But I do think there needs to be the introduction of monsters that are so powerful that without a decent group working together your just not going to be able to get the job done.

When I read about SA prior to it's release I was under the impression that there were going to be Champion Spawns and Peerless that were a notch above what we had ....EPIC I believe it was called. This obviously never came to fruition.

What I also don't understand is how some of the weaker bosses and mini-champs are dropping the better items in the game. I just do not understand this...

Medusa from what I hear is pretty easy and she drops the Slither. Slasher is probably one of the tought but he doesn't drop diddly squat with the exception of Lavliere. But the Renowns are dropping Animated Tinker Legs, BHB, Mantle of the Fallen. And then you have Peerless that 90% of the time drop worthless stuff. Even the ingredients at this point are worthless because Imbued items are better. And Peerless have a whopping 50,000 hit point. I do not understand how and why they are not dropping the best items in the game.

Just my 2 cents....

I look forward to this Booster and many many more to come in the Future.

Long Live UO!:thumbup1:

16. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

The interim play guide for High Seas can be found here http://mythicmktg.fileburst.net/uo/media/pdfs/High%20Seas%20Game%20Guide.pdf Housing and Bank Storage Increase This is an additional increase of 20% to both your house storage and bank storage. Found answer in the play guide for High Seas. I guess Character Storage does mean housing.

17. Whinemaker

Whinemaker Guest

I tend to ask stupid questions but anyway...

Since this is a "booster", I assume you can run it without upgrading to UOSA?

18. Gheed

Gheed Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

:thumbup1:Launching AHS on UO's B-day weekend. Very classy move devs! err the beta.. good enough!

19. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

20. WhityJinn

WhityJinn Guest

this is something else, but this is not UO.
    Yarrrr, 350 fire damage and a poison-eater tally!

21. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Uhm, just because I grant access to my ship doesn't mean I want that person to be able to navigate it. Bad design.

I absolutely gurantee this will be used to grief, especially during EM events using the new content.

Granting access should allow someone to board, there should be another context option to allow someone to steer.

Change this. Change this now.

Not good enough. If the ship owner stops the boat to do something, nobody else should be able to steer unless the owner has expressly allowed them to.

People. Will. Use. This. To. Grief.

22. WhityJinn

WhityJinn Guest

well, you see, if that was FELUCCA, you could just slay the griefer.But now with all that trammel stuff it`s kinda impossible to kill someone.

That`s why all EM events should take place in FELUCCA!

23. Petra Fyde

I agree, permission to board should be entirely seperate to permission to control the vessel.
    I'm hoping that's just a lack of clarity in the wording of the guide.

24. Martyna Zmuir

Another needed feature for boats is an 'open boarding' option so large groups can be easily and quickly accomodated.

This will be especially needed for EM events. Last thing the EMs are going to want to do is have to try to quickly access the context menus of unruly ADHD players who can't stand still and like to stack on top of each other.

Again, only the boat owner or their specifically designated navigator would be allowed to steer.

An eject or 'walk the plank' feature is also a good idea so unruly players can be sent back to shore or cast adrift in a temporary dinghy.

25. Petra Fyde

26. Martyna Zmuir

Good idea! :thumbup1:

Copied over and added to!

27. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

ehm, there is no TC9 on my serverlist :( Is this just me?

28. Schuyler Bain

Stratics Veteran

Aye - not on my list.

29. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Soon as I download the new clients I'll check the lists ... but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they won't be up until after 8 or 9 am Eastern...

Just a guess.

30. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Quote:
    How do I grant access to my new ship to other players?
    Left click once on the player you want to grant access to and choose "Grant Access" from the context menu. Note: Once a player has been granted access to your boat, they will be able to drive using the wheel. They will not be able to give commands to the Tillerman. However, once someone has taken the wheel, the Tillerman will not function until mouse driving mode is disabled.

I say flip the friend aspect where they can give commands and not use the wheel. Then you will know who is steering the boat just to be cute in a tricorne.

This also leads into the house feature of "remove thyself" or "I ban thee." The boat owner could have the unruley ported back to the docks in a display cage (other captains there see a name and can think twice about letting them aboard) or just swinging off a yard arm in front of the boat as boss bait (first to be agroed)

31. Cal_Mythic

Cal_Mythic Guest

We're opening "High Seas Test" in the next hour or less.

We're verifying a few changes from last night.

- c

32. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

Stronger coffee?

33. Cear Dallben Dragon

Cear Dallben Dragon Babbling Loonie

I AM FREAKING OUT!

LAUNCH THE BETA SERVER@!!!!!! MEUWHAHAHAhlfdlsd:gun:

34. Tazar

Tazar Guest

Will the "Beta Server" will be a mirror of a live shard this time? If so, which one?

35. Cear Dallben Dragon

Cear Dallben Dragon Babbling Loonie

36. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

Wait! What? I am still finishing ML! I haven't even done a SA Peerless or Champ spawn yet! LoL I am so behind!!!

37. Coldren

Coldren Sage
    Stratics Veteran

You're behind? I haven't even seen the Ice Cave from T2A.. I've only seen Malas because I needed to go to Luna to get a Chivalry book....

Ish is neat. Just went there for there for the first time in about 8 years last night looking for seeds. I made a brief expidition out there when Third Dawn was released (When you could only enter with the 3D client). Of course I was in the SA a lot when I was in the beta for it, but I haven't really been through it on the live servers yet.....

I tend to stick to Tram and Fel, mining, crafting, and RP'ing.. Need to start doing some more exploring! But there's just so much stuff...

Now I have to re-explore the ocean! I thought I had finished that when I went on a trek by boat back in 1998 to mark myself some runes for all the cities and dungeons..

38. Viquire

Viquire Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Client crashed when I tried to log in my Origin characters.

39. hawkeye_pike

hawkeye_pike Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Until now I wasn't able to login with the Beta Client.

Only once I was able to create a character but as soon as the client tried to log this character in at New Haven, the client crashed. Now I cannot even contact the login servers anymore.

40. Gowron

Gowron Guest

I have two major issues with this booster.

1. Since the two major buyable ships are Tokuno and Gargoyle, we should be able to sail to the Tokuno Islands. I think it would be a very easy fix to have some words or a gump at the serpent pillars to go to T2A, Tokuno, Tram, or Fel. With this addition, we shouldn't have to "drydock" and then "recall" or "moongate" to another facet that already has navigable waters.

2. The floating emporium is inaccessable due to all the ships parked in and around it. How hard would it be to impliment a "harbor master" feature that would allow you to teleport to the dock and back to your ship? Shipboard to emporium can be a gump on the tillerman, while emporium back to the ship can be a click (gump) on the harbor master. Heck, even getting the rowboat close enough to the emporium should be able to put you on the dock, or going back put you in the water towards your ship.

These are minor issues...
    1. If these boats are going to be part of the game, why not add them to the shipwrights shops?
    2. Saltpeter will be in high demand as well, why not sell them in the alchemist shops in harbor towns like Brit, Vesper, Trinsic, Zento?
    3. If there are Tokuno, Orc, and Gargoyle ships, why not a Britannian one? Of course, it seems to me that the Gargoyle ships are more traditional western variety than not, so I'm OK if this point is ignored.

41. popeto

popeto Guest

LOL!!!!
    you cant shoot anyone in trammel
    GOOD LUCK

- guy from felucca 1999-2004

42. rajadeah

rajadeah Guest

where do we post bug reports for high seas beta?

43. Schuyler Bain

Stratics Veteran