1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[UO Herald] Producers Update - Datacenter Maintenance Next Week

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Jul 9, 2010.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

Hello all!

I will try to write a more extensive producer's update to discuss the current plans for publish 67 next Friday, as well as status on live events and core system updates next week.

In the interim it's essential we catch you up on an important update to the Ultima Online network.

For the last three months our engineering team in concert with EA World Wide IT, and the Net Engineering group have been working on upgrading our character databases and warehouse (read that "Housing") as well as login server applications to a new version of Oracle.

What does this mean to you?

More...

2. Jhym

Jhym Guest

Hmmm... I thought they were already on version 11, they must be on version 10 of Oracle.

Which is good, moving up to 11 is a great thing for stability and storage issues.

3. Babble

Babble Guest

Are you sure it is not because EA took over Warhammer in europe from GOA?
    So you needed the new server structure anyway?
    :p

4. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

well the last time we really had any work done to stablize UO was gosh a long time ago. I think its about time they dusted the stuff off. Who knows whats been in the machines (in real meaning they need to clean the hamster cage and replace the bedding and wheel for better effency).

5. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Jhym, the way I read

It's probable that the version of Oracle in use was significantly older. Maybe version 9, or even version 8 if the database is still using software configured in the first 5 years of UO. Remember, the modifications to the database that allowed the addition of the 6th character slot predated the release of Oracle 10 by 2 years.

6. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

I'm hoping these little messages become more and more common and give us the type of information here. Yeah, there are certain issues I'd like to hear more about than others, but a nice stream of "this is what we're working on" during these times of little to no other response from the team is appreciated.

7. phantus

phantus Stratics Legend

so....uh.....what do these Oracles drop? I'm pretty sure I can kill 10 or 11 of them easy. Better not be a crappy bag of garbage loot like the current war.

8. It Lives

It Lives Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

They said housing.

I'll read that as bank my valuables for awhile, take containers off my steps and lock my doors.rolleyes:

9. Updated database server for housing... faster... more memory...

Could this mean more housing storage for us all?

10. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

it could mean a lot of things :) and as far as I can see I see nothing bad in this !
    actually the opposite but then i look at the glass half full whenever possible

11. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

I'm of the wait and see attitude on this. One learns to wait for the evidence with the UO Dev, it comes from long years of exp with them. I'm with IT Lives Ill pick up and store what mattes and wait stealthed by the door with my target bat to bop the intruders.

12. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Cool. Sounds good.

13. Surgeries

Surgeries Grand Poobah

I am hoping that we won't have to party to take them down...they will probably only be in Fel, anyway...

:lol:

Maybe they can make instanced versions, and then, we can imbue them?

14. Experimental

Experimental Lore Keeper

"Plan on server downtime early to the middle of next week across all shards."

And how long is this downtime expected to last? Any kind of estimate?

15. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Curious that there is no definite date or time as to when this maintenance will occur. Who is running EA's IT department?

Database migrations don't just happen on a whim. Give us facts not vague statements. So what if your estimates are off, life happens.

Oh, about the whole 'communication thing'... Can we see about a 3000% increase? We don't want a promise, just make it happen.

16. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Martyna:

In my Experience of dealing with database work at jobs, typically the techs say it MAY start around "X" time, but "don't hold us to it" - as well as "Just because it was scheduled for time X, don't assume that when you came in at 'X + 4 hours' that it's been completed - it might not even have been started yet. It's only begun and ended when we SAY it has, as no maintenance schedule survives contact with reality."

Databases are typically being backed up right to the point of maintenance, and something can always go wrong during the backup and/or migration process. my personal experience is that the more someone tries to define a time database mgrations will start, stop and/or take up, the greater chance of delays or a catastrophic error. Murphy doesn't just write laws for combat - the Murphy's laws of computing list is about the same length.

17. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Right. And we're talking a rather large corporate entity here that tends to function on tight schedules, deadlines, etc. Surely there is someone in the IT/Networking/Server Hamster department who knows when things are supposed to start.

Hence, it is not improper to expect that they have a scheduled start time, and a guesstimate of approximately when it may be finished. As paying customers we should expect to be given a decent time frame for the work, not nebulous 'early next week' statements.

So expecting a statement like "It will start Tuesday at 11am EST and should last about 4-8 hours, we will keep you posted." isn't unreasonable. It’s called good customer service, something UO sorely lacks.

18. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Who knows, maybe they will give out a schedule beforehand. Maybe at the moment they don't even know when they might start it exactly. Maybe it was just a forewarning that they will be doing this before they have an exact schedule. Speculate all you want though, in the end it doesn't matter as we obviously don't know, lol.

19. Kojak

Kojak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

i'm betting on at least 3 days of downtime - get your bets in early ... hehe

20. Cear Dallben Dragon

Cear Dallben Dragon Babbling Loonie

Can I have confirmation, are the servers going to be down for more than a day?

21. Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
    Reporter Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran

I want a sash

anyways....

This tells me that UO isn't dead and people can stop the "What will you do when UO shuts down" or "This is it omg its ending" blah blah.

I actually look forward to the servers coming down (Don't kill me yet). If they are down for a few days that means I can catch up on everything. News Reporting, Chesapeake Directory, Sonoma, The Imperium Towns, Crafters guild etc. A few days with no one needing help, no EM events etc etc.

22. R Traveler

R Traveler Babbling Loonie

Any plans on adding downtime to gametime?

23. Sturdy

Sturdy Guest

Oracle....AAAAuAAAauaauAAaAAARRRGGGG!

Ok I feel better. rolleyes:

24. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie

Database migrations are always something to be handled with extreme care.

Extreme care. So I'm willing to let them take the time they need. I won't go as far as multiple days, but I do imagine that we'll be down for the better portion of at least one day.

And it makes me happy to know that UO is at least really running on some sort of real database and not the flat file that some of us feared might be the case.

It does bring me to wonder why duping still happens though, because with a real database, they could effectively track the processes that create them, run reports that show an abnormal amount of an item being created, and so forth. I hope this upgrade will bring with it some more secure server code in the future.

25. I went through a very large database migration at the last company I worked for. The president insisted that it start on July 1 at midnight and everyone better be ready! Everyone said no problems, we will be ready!

Well, it wasn't ready. We couldn't ship a product for 6 weeks because the relationships were broken, and it took a full 3 months afterwards to fix. We lost $24 million from lost sales because products wouldn't ship. The president suddenly retired 6 months later.

"Good customer service" is sometimes saying it will be done when it's ready and not adhere to a best-guess timeline.

26. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

First impression. Very good news. Nothing spells "commitment" like a complex upgrade.

Second impression. Oh ya, /this /this and for good measure, /this...

Third impression. Guess I'll be paying a visit to the methadone clinic... :)

27. There is ofcourse the small possibility the hamster might

a) escape from it's handlers while outside the cage
    b) go psycho when returning to it's cage, unable to adjust to it's new surroundings
    c) get hurt while trying out the new wheel

Just hoping there won't be any posts in a few months about players missing stuff, skill resets, pets gone, missing houses, denied access to certain area's, random disconnects etc. But I did change my mind about banking my stuff and letting my accounts freeze, which they are about too. Such an undertaking is an indication to me EA intents to keep UO around for awhile.

28. Babble

Babble Guest

Care like Mark said .. there are no immediate plans.

One word from higher up could change everything anytime.