1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[UO Herald] Ten Ton Hammer Decade Awards

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Dec 31, 2010.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

2. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Thank goodness I play UO were DAoC crap matters....sigh.

3. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I think it is cool when any of the Bioware/Mythic family of games is recognized. *nods*

4. quig

quig Guest

"While considering our choices for Best PvP Game of the Decade, we really had to go back to the roots of PvP. Ultima Online certainly offered unregulated PvP but by today's standards, that's very little fun for everyone but the top gankers. Conversely, the introduction of Battlegrounds and Scenarios as seen in many of today's MMOGs do offer quick match-up fun, but they lack the true spirit of PvP, in our opinion, which should be a constant struggle for power. The pendulum should swing hard, and it should swing often. Players should always feel a need to defend or attack in a well-developed PvP game."

UOs mentioned as a past tense and as "very little fun" lol, good thing its on the UO front page. :p

5. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

*shrugs* It is just an opinion...

6. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

If you look at it, they are referring to unregulated PvP as being very little fun, not UO, and saying that UO used to offer it, not that UO's gone.

-Galen's player

7. Argoas

Argoas Guest

Yeah, something like "UO was fun for pvp, but not today".

8. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Hello, Rowland Cox. Have we met you?

9. quig

quig Guest

On the front of UO home page....

I know what they meant, but still the only mention of UO and its a negative statement. Great for DAOC but I dont think it should be on UOs front page. I dont see anything on DAOC's web page for when UO won the inaugural Hall of Fame Award.

10. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

If that is indeed true, I am not doubting it, just consider yourselves more informed than the folks over at DAoC. Stratics staffers work hard to keep you all informed.

11. canary

canary Guest

x2, really.

It's kinda like saying "Yay DAoC, btw UO... you suck". Then sticking it on their site for all to read. Slightly bizarre.

12. Having played both games from the start, I have to agree. I had way more fun in DAoC then UO from the PvP aspect of the game. At least I had a fighting chance in DAoC from the start. Unlike the early days of UO where all you had to do is walk outside of the town before a band of gankers (usually beta players) just blowing you up.

Also, I have yet to experience the PvP that DAoC had to offer in any other game. It actually almost felt like you were in a movie fighting your opposing army in that time. We held our line, and the enemy held thiers. Just itching to attack, til our leader would command us to launch spells and arrows then we charge and all hell breaks loose. Now that was PvP and it was actually fun. Had so many really cool times there.

I love UO, but not for its pvp. It was just too chaotic, unbalanced, and honestly dying in a few hits even before you could move was just not fun. The Player Killing too was way out of balance in early UO. I could not trust anyone.

Luckily for UO and Origin, it was the only real MMORPG out there, but if there were others at the time of it going live, I doubt and tons of others would have stuck around when the game was just unplayable. And that's not including the extreme lag but that's another story.

13. Babble

Babble Guest

hmm EVE won best community, one of the only sandbox games with pvp and a good community it seems
    :p

14. Babble

Babble Guest

LOL
    Runners up to pvp games were Shadowbane (closed) and Lineage...not even Lineage 2...and Lineage had a million subscriptions and DAOC won? :p

15. Babble

Babble Guest

Most innovative D&D.. the game which does not even have a full world :p

16. Babble

Babble Guest

At least they voted wow as best game which it deserves as it took the good parts of mmos and polished it.
    :)

17. Hildebrand

Hildebrand Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I really hate the fact that they mention that other game on UO's official main site, then link to another site that reviews other games. Just because the article "mentioned" UO, doesn't mean that it deserves to be posted. What's next? A link about how WAR got an update?

If official UO fansites are barred from referring to non UO sites, why does UO break it's own rules?

18. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

It's quite clear that they posted this announcement on the sites of all 3 of Mythic's MMOs. The same announcement appeared on DAoC's site (of course), and on WHO's site, and on UO's site. I checked.

-Galen's player

19. Omnius

Omnius Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

It's an inferior game. I'd take shadowbane any day.