1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[UO Herald] Terms of Service Reminder

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Dec 13, 2011.

1. UO News

UO News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed Stratics Veteran

We would like to remind our players that the use of 3rd party programs violates our Terms of Service.
    If you receive a warning for any infraction, it is because you were reported by a fellow player for breaking the ToS.
    Warnings placed on an account will escalate to suspension if the account commits the same offense repeatedly.

The following third party programs are the only ones legal to run:

• UO Assist
    • UO Auto-Map
    • UO Calculator
    • UO Curse Tool
    • UO Journal Converter
    • UO Magic Tool
    • UO Spawn Map
    • UO Wedding
    Happy Holidays,

The UO Team

More...

2. RioGrande

RioGrande Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

UOCartographer is not legal ?

3. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I guess not... Not on the list.

4. Wizal the Fox

Stratics Veteran

UOCartographer does not interact with the UO Client, but with UOAssist, so I can't see how it could be illegal.

5. clarkifer

clarkifer Guest

So what happens when you get in trouble for running no program except uoassist?!?!

6. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

If its not in the list it is considered Against the TOS So until we hear otherwise I would not use UO Cartographer!

7. Wizal the Fox

Stratics Veteran

So, Excel is against the TOS? What about Internet Explorer?

Of course not, we are only talking about software interacting with the UO Client, which is not the case of UOCartographer.

8. Xalan Dementia

Xalan Dementia Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

So is this in response to the one or two posts by the same person claiming they were reprimanded for being afk?
    Or is this a lil hint that they are finally trying to crack down on offenders?

...the world may never know.

9. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Of the programs listed, is UO Calculator the calculator used to assign a value to pets ? If so, how does that interact with the client ? It does not read the pet's stats automatically, one has to enter them manually.

Same question about the UO Spawn Map also listed. I thought it was a standalone Map showing what spawns where in UO which works also when the client is not running. It is not so ? It needs to interact with the client to work ?

I also have a question about the enhanced client and the modding utilities. They are not listed so what does that mean ? Can they be used with the EC or not ?

10. Xalan Dementia

Xalan Dementia Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I think they just copy pasted the list of ok programs from stratics, so they just need to add the new ones

11. Slickjack

Slickjack Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
    Stratics Veteran

This needs to be cleared up pronto....

UO Cartographer, that is.

12. Alstadt

Alstadt Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

If it does not interact with the client it's prob not a problem, Like the carto program. Uo Rudder on the other hand does in a way as it is a keystroke macro.
    We tried to get it approved way back when (even before EA) but they would not add it to the list. :(

13. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

I think CHEATERS already KNOW who they are, what's legal, and what's not. You don't install, configure, and run an illegal program that interacts w/ UO by Accident.

14. ahardy

ahardy Guest

i think they posted it because i got a ban for macro NOT AFK! I reply the gm, answer he, then he teleport me for the "punish house" i run into the gate and return to macro then i got 48h ban

15. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

:coco::D:blushing:

16. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Cal OKed UOCartographer quite a while back, shortly after it was released in fact. The post is somewhere on U.Hall.

17. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I would love to use UO Automap, always used it. Never used assist tho. but now, since automap isn't supported (I guess) I can't calibrate it and get it to stick.

18. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

tell me how do these "fellow players" know what programs you are running on your computer??

19. Roland Of Gilead

Roland Of Gilead Seasoned Veteran
    Governor Stratics Veteran

Last i knew uo automap didnt work anymore.Is it working again or no?

20. Alstadt

Alstadt Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

It still works just does not update, And i think the download site has been taken down

21. Wizal the Fox

Stratics Veteran

Technically you can still make UOAM to run, but it doesn't handle the TerMur/Underworld/SA map, which is why it is better to move to UO Cartographer anyway.
    Like UOAM, UO Cartographer reads the player location from UOAssist, NOT the UO client, so you still need UOAssist to calibrate.

UO Cartographer does crash from time to time but it is quite rare. It is not supported though (the author has vanished) and the source code isn't available, so it is not a long term solution, but it should be fine until the next major facet change (which could be years away... or not)

Note that the map files (containing the labels) from UOAM can be used directly under UO Cartographer, including any customized ones you may have made.

22. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

This will make UO a griefer's paradise. All a griefer has to do is report you for whatever he decides to report you for and you'll get a warning for an infraction. Absolutely no hint that the GM's will check themselves, they'll just take the griefer's word for it.

"Let's see... Hey! That guy Tom is at his house is making potion after potion. I'll report him for unattended macroing. And ****, that jerk who wouldn't let me join his champ party I'll turn in and say he made monsters attack me! And Harry, that dang PvPer who whomped my hide last week. I'll get him nailed for... for... yeah! I'll say he said ^*&^% and get him a black mark as well. After a few weeks of fun they'll all be banned from UO and I'll find some more people to screw over and get banned. Yay!! Now UO is a lot more fun! <laughs>"

23. Ruellion

Ruellion Visitor

They do not know. Only if the other player will tell them that your char always uses macros, and you do not answer to GM's (ingame) questions.

I use EC with Pinco's UI and CC with UOassist.

Best regards, Ruellion. Using Tapatalk on my iP3GS.

24. Njjj

Njjj Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Simply quoting the official stance on third party programs would be a logical first step if their intention is to crack down on bots and speedhacks, etc. I wouldn't be concerned about using programs like cartographer and rudder, even if they are technically illegal. Can you imagine the uproar if they started banning people for those?

Lets cross our fingers that this is the beginning of stricter enforcement of the TOS in regards to cheating and profanity. What a huge lift that would be for the game.

25. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

exactly this, and with the make max button its very easy to sit in one spot and make a ton of potions..

there is a certain player on my shard that already goes around and does to to everyone she thinks is doing something like this.. just to get them banned.

26. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

If it helps you find it, he called it "Mapper."

-Galen's player

27. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

This is not cool... I want to know too... How is it someone else NOT sitting right next to me at my house can "know" what it is I'm running on my PC?

I mean I could go out today and tell EA/GM's that 100 people at the EM event are running anything... and what they get banned?

I think there needs to be some proof going on here... This doesn't sound good at all and before this becomes a witch hunt and a total panic I think someone with some authority best be giving more solid answers to some of this speculation.

28. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

The post cannot possibly mean what it literally says.

Sometimes folks in authority just like to issue reminders. That's how I'm taking this.

-Galen's player

29. PitrGri

PitrGri Guest

3rd party programs... are very, very bad... but I did read some posts defending that it keeps the uo economy going.

If this means a new wave versus the scripters and speedhackers... hum, wont that decrease UO to historical minimum population?

Maybe then we'll learn who plays for fun and who doesnt... :scholar:

30. clarkifer

clarkifer Guest

I'm still waiting on my reply for " using a 3rd party program" didn't know uo assist was considered that, and no explanation at all.....

31. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

You can take it to mean whatever you want! What I am saying is if you want to be 100% sure dont use anything not in the list until we can get clarification!

On a side note I personally don't see a problem with using cartographer!

32. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Is what Cal said still valid,as he is no longer on the team? The rules stated by the OP is like a speed limit of 65 and people seem to keep asking "Can I go 75? Why can't I go 80? How about 85? That's okay,right?" People just want to play a game w/o actually playing the game. They seem to want a program(s) to play it for them. Laziness. :p

33. AesSedai

AesSedai Guest

- Thx for the reminder. As I play games by their rules, and have read the rules I agreed to, I just thought I'd say thanks for the reminder.

34. AesSedai

AesSedai Guest

- Oh, and I'd probably add to that: don't use any on the list while you are unattended / unable to respond to a GM :thumbsup:

35. SixUnder

SixUnder Legendary Assassin

regarding EA and their post..

Well if that is their list of approved programs, we have over 3000 posts on stratics about UO cartographer. SO where does that fall now???

If you guys follow the ToC it is no longer allowed and cant be talked about on stratics either.

I can tell you over 30 names on GL who were marked, marked twice then again just in one night last night. Most posted screenshots of the innocence. Of which i told them not to because you can not do that on Stratics.

However, what is the official stance from EA on UO Cartographer? I know developers read this site.

36. AesSedai

AesSedai Guest

Re: regarding EA and their post..

- 30 people you say? Wow, maybe they are doing more than just throwing legitimate players another tease.. ya' sparked my curiousity. I would love to praise EA for cleaning up UO.. time will tell whether I will truly be able to.

(not concerned about UO Cartographer.. don't use it but wouldn't worry if I did. I run EC)

37. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Ahh the player that rails the same path into the Library over and over.

No matter EC or CC when I park at Luna bank to make a PBJ and get side tracked kicking the dog. My characters auto log even during prime time.

The miner that uses no Fire Beetle and rials into their house to unload raw ore.

My Fav is at a dead run being chain hit with Flamestrikes.

I like the ones that argue they was using UOAssist and don't see why. Thats the .05 cent / Fkey question.

38. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

it has nothing to do with that at all.

say your at the bank, your making potions or whatever..
    and someone doesnt like you so they page a gm on you, and you get banned..

then what?

39. SixUnder

what about

ventrilo?

teamspeak?

UOSU, of which i downloaded originally 9 years from stratics

list is endless.

that list needs adjusted.

40. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I say tweet Jeff and ask him about UO cartographer. It may have been over looked. Only way you can get clarification since a dev wont here.

Really this isn't a big deal. We know the rules and what programs that can be used. If we use any that we actually know isnt allowed then its ban hammer time :p

41. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

From the May 21, 2010 Producer's letter from Cal:

In the thread for it, Galen asked Cal what he meant by 'mapper:'

So, Mapper = UOCartographer and it is legal.

42. SixUnder

that is just it, most of the guys posted pictures on here of when they were in jail or playing getting told etc.

onlythings open besides UO and UOA was ventrilo and UOC.

so you tell me?

mark teh ones who using basic funtional utilities?

43. Tazar

Tazar Guest

It is time for everyone to take a deep breath and stop the panic.

For those of you that have been around for a while - stop and think back over the times that we have seen similar things... How many times have you seen people here proclaiming their innocence only to find out later that they were not so innocent?

In this case, yes, they can take screenshots of a clean non-cheat taskbar while sitting at the bank when approached by a GM, but that does not mean that they were not cheating 30 min before during PVP or whatever. When a GM page comes in - info is recorded. The page has to wait in line and then the info reviewed before any action would be taken - this takes time and probably accounts for the "I was banned sitting at the bank" claims.

Can mistakes be made? Sure - but I seriously doubt that dozens of people were all mass banned by mistake. If you really feel it was a mistake, posting here is not going to help at all. Instead, try the e-mail that Petra provided above: [email protected].

I'd say it is a safe bet that if you are cheating - you know it. Using a rather harmless program like an in-game macro, or sitting at the bank, or using Excel or Ventrilo will not get you banned. If Cartographer really does not interact with the data stream, then I would also guess that you are safe.

44. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

Many people just don't want Cart, they prefer auto-map - myself included. Never used, or need Calibration, never needed it:
    http://www.aedes.us/b/liRXp.jpg SA-uoam

Export out the new maps and Don't use 'elevation' (i have to redo mine because they're too grainy, and don't look like the maps I'm used to seeing).
    Copy/Paste the new parts over an existing old map. I used MAP0-X1.bmp (so i have to manually pick Fel X-ray mode)
    The finished map MUST be the same size, hence copy/paste. should look something like this:

http://www.aedes.us/b/gP4ob.jpg

45. SixUnder

None of them were banned. repetedly marked. huge difference. And i understand what has happened in the past. I love UOAM i cant help it doesnt not function now.

Plus i saw the photos posted before they were removed from forums, and some of the people i know including myself are always using UOSU and fraps recording things.

46. SixUnder

Case you missed the memo, we have new producer in EA for UO. And it is not Cal who posted that in May 2010.

just saying.... what he says means nothing to us as players anymore:yell:

47. Tazar

Tazar Guest

See above for probably explanation of the photos...

UOSU and Fraps do not interact with the data stream - they merely record things. I can't see how they would be a problem.

If you are cheating - I'd worry. If you are not - I wouldn't. If you are not and get a mark - use that e-mail above.

48. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Well, well well. GMs actually showing in game and doing stuff. UO reminding us of the rules of conduct. Wow.

I thought this was what many wanted... If you have issues with GMs and Bioware staff, Stratics is not the place to air your grievances. We can do nothing about it and there is no guarantee that any UO/Bioware staffer will read it. Use the official methods to contact/feedback for EA/Bioware.

We have rules here on Stratics too. If you need a reminder let me know... :spider:

• About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!